• Advertisement

098. Whatever Happened to Spongebob?

Karen

I remember liking this episode a lot when it premiered. Now I nearly dislike it. That close-up of SpongeBob nearly makes me gag each time. So unnecessary and disgunting, ewgh.

It was extremely rushed and they could have done a lot better with that plot, which was one of the most interesting plots in a while.

Nevertheless, I can't say it was BAD, but it could have been a lot better (plus Nick hyped the crap out of it)

I'd give it a 7.6/10

I don't think the episode is that bad, but no perfect. All I have to say is that the book "For the Love of Bubbles" that it's based on is better. There are a bunch of differences in it to the story, like how I never liked that all of SpongeBob's friends called him an idiot for all his accidents in the episode.

I can't remember this...428899.gif I mean I remember hearing about it and watching it, but I don't remember what happened or the jokes. I can't really give this a grade.
I don't quite remember it either. Gonna watch it on DVD today.

I decided to move this here since we're back on this site again and a lot of people probably didn't see it there. So like I said, I thought I would post the notable differences between "Whatever Happened to SpongeBob" and the book "For the Love of Bubbles" (which the episode is based on). While the basic plot in the same, there are some major differences between what happens to the characters and the events around them. I've said a bunch of times that I've preferred the book version better, but for those who haven't read the book and only seen the episode, I've provided a list of major parts in both the episode and book that have the same event going but is handled differently.

WHTS: After SpongeBob unintentionally ruins his friends' days and is called "idiot boy" by them out of anger; he decides to leave Bikini Bottom after feeling unwanted by everyone.

FTLOB: SpongeBob blows a bubble into the shape of a krabby patty and the wind blows it away before he could show it to Patrick, so he chases it all the way out of Bikini Bottom, hoping to bring it back.

WHTS: SpongeBob develops amnesia by stumbling off a cliff and hitting his head multiple times on the way down.

FTLOB: SpongeBob develops amnesia by getting his feet tangled in some kelp while chasing his krabby patty bubble, and bumping his head on a rock after he trips.

WHTS: SpongeBob gets his new name from a group of gypsies who are attempting to steal his clothes while he was trying to remember who he was.

FTLOB: SpongeBob gets his new name from an old man who noticed him crying in New Kelp City when he couldn't remember who he was.

WHTS: SpongeBob's new name is "CheeseHead BrownPants" derived from his cheese-like appearance and the color of his pants.

FTLOB: SpongeBob's new name is "SpongeJoe BrownPants" derived from someone the old man used to know named "Joe" and the color of his pants.

WHTS: New Kelp City appears to be a rundown city due to the amount of crime.

FTLOB: New Kelp City is a bustling city resembling the real city where its name is based off of.

WHTS: SpongeBob gets fired from his various jobs due to using bubbles to assist him in his work.

FTLOB: SpongeBob gets fired from his various jobs due to shaping every item into the form of a krabby patty which is somehow familiar to him.

WHTS: Bikini Bottom goes into a panic over SpongeBob's disappearance since he's no longer there to make krabby patties. Mr. Krabs sends Patrick, Sandy, and Squidward (by bribing him with an ornamental egg) to go search for SpongeBob.

FTLOB: Mr. Krabs notices SpongeBob has not come into work and worries about his business, so Sandy and Patrick volunteer to go find him by searching in his favorite places and finding clues he had left behind when chasing after his krabby patty bubble.

WHTS: Bubble blowing is banned in New Kelp City due to a gang called the Bubble Poppin' Boys threatening to rough up anyone who blows bubbles.

FTLOB: Blowing bubbles is outlawed in New Kelp City due to an embarrassing accident the mayor had when a bubble scared him.

WHTS: SpongeBob is awarded Mayor of New Kelp City for driving the Bubble Poppin' Boys out of town which allows everyone to blow bubbles in peace.

FTLOB: SpongeBob decides to run for mayor after learning that bubble blowing had been outlawed, and wins the election with the promise to bring back bubble blowing.

WHTS: Due to not remembering Patrick and Sandy, SpongeBob refuses to go home with them and desires to attend to his duties as mayor which prompts them to kidnap him with Squidward's aid to bring him back to Bikini Bottom.

FTLOB: SpongeBob willingly leaves with Patrick and Sandy with the desire to learn who he is and to get his memory back.

WHTS: Some time after SpongeBob's departure, New Kelp City falls into chaos from the new bubble law and all the citizens blame SpongeBob for the trouble.

FTLOB: SpongeBob leaves a replacement mayor in his leave, and the citizens all hail SpongeBob as a hero for bringing bubble blowing back and promise to erect a statue in his honor.

WHTS: After failing to bring back any memories, SpongeBob tries to leave the Krusty Krab and return to New Kelp City to resume his mayoring duties. Afterwards, Squidward's ornamental egg is accidently flung into the air and hits SpongeBob on the head, restoring his memories.

FTLOB: When trying to restore his memories, SpongeBob's friends take him to the Krusty Krab to see if his job would bring anything back. There SpongeBob successfully makes a krabby patty, and after eating it, bite after bite, and remembering its deliciousness, his amnesia is cured.

And there you have it. Hope that helps and gives you a bit of information.

NegiSpongie's analysis did give me a lot of information. I appreciate it.

Still, this "special" wasn't really all that special. It wasn't bad, but it was pretty disappointing. So much potential.

6/10

This special is very disappoting and I was expecting much better special. I don't hate this special though. I thought It was mediocre. First of all, the entire special is rushed. The begining of this episode happened so quickly. In the first two minutes, SpongeBob accidently upseted his friend but all of them was accident. SpongeBob accidently broke Gary's shell (and that's how Shell Shocked was born), crushed Patrick's cake, he disturbed Squidward's beauty sleep (that wasn't an accident actually, lol), destroyed Sandy's robot, and deep fried Mr. Krabs' money. And then Patrick, Squidward, Sandy and Mr. Krabs called him "idiot boy". That was so mean. Don't they know that SpongeBob did all of them by accident? No, why can't we just call everyone who made some mistakes "idiot boy"? Then SpongeBob decided to leave Bikini Bottom just because his friends call him "idiot boy". Okay, seriously? Just because they called him "idiot boy", he really needs to leave this town? Look, everyone makes some mistakes in their lives and SpongeBob made some mistakes before this episode. So why did he didn't want to leave town when he made these mistakes before this episode? It makes no sense. Anyway, Sandy and Patrick realized that SpongeBob left the town and they said it to Mr. Krabs and Squidward. Then everyone, except Squidward felt upset because SpongeBob left town. Okay, I'm glad everyone felt bad but why Squidward felt happy for it? I know SpongeBob annoys Squidward but we all know Squidward loves SpongeBob and cares about him. In Dying for Pie, Squidward feels bad for SpongeBob because he thinks he is gonna die, so he wants to do all activies that SpongeBob wants to do. He even cried for SpongeBob's death. In this episode, he shows no emotion. Squidward was definelty OOC in this episode. Plus, he destoryed Sandy's invention that can find SpongeBob, then Mr. Krabs said he'll give Squidward a jewel-encrusted ornamental egg, If he brings back SpongeBob to him. So Squidward wanted to find SpongeBob, just because he wants that stupid egg. I hate Squidward in this episode so much. Back to SpongeBob's story, SpongeBob got amnesia when he fell off a cliff and when he woke up, he found a new place called New Kelp City, which is a parody of New York and he wanted to work at some place but nobody wanted him because he blew some bubbles. Later Bubble Poppin' Boys found SpongeBob and they wanted to beat up SpongeBob because he blew bubbles. Later SpongeBob escaped from them but they catched SpongeBob. Later SpongeBob blew a giant bubble and he got rid of them. Later New Kelp City citizens cheered on SpongeBob and they made him the new president of New Kelp City. Later Sandy, Patrick and Squidward found them and they brought him back to Krusty Krabs but SpongeBob wanted to go back to New Kelp City. Then Mr. Krabs gave him Squidward the egg for bringing back SpongeBob but Squidward accidently throws egg onto SpongeBob's head and the egg broght back SpongeBob's memory. Later SpongeBob still wanted to go back to New Kelp City but he saw the news and news reporter says the bubbles caused a chaos at New Kelp City and New Kelp Citizens were very angry at SpongeBob. So SpongeBob decided to stay in Bikini Bottom forever. So that's how this special ends. I was so disappointed by this special. I was excepting much better. Even though amnesia idea has been already done in many shows, the episode sounded really good but the writers didn't execute it well. I was so mad at the main characters, especially Squidward for making SpongeBob upset and this special was a little boring. by the way, I forgot something, the part when SpongeBob said "Hey, mister, Look at me! Mister, look at me! Is there something wrong with me?" to a person and then the gruesome look on SpongeBob's face was shown and SpongeBob made a green bubble with his nose. That part was extremely gross and not funny. Also this special was so rushed and I think It should a 1 hour special. I don't think this special is bad because this episode had some humor and I loved the parts with Bubble Popping Boys and SpongeBob. Even though I don't think this special is bad, I don't recommend this special to people and this special is not worth watching again, unless there's nothing good to watch on TV. 5.5/10