• Advertisement

Birds of Prey (and The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)

WhoBibbles

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm not so hopeful. Yeah this is just a teaser trailer but the fact that this is just an R rated Harley Quinn movie disguised as Birds of Prey feels wrong. I have never read Birds of Prey comics but you can not exclude Birds of Prey's co-founder Barbara Gordon as Oracle and replace her with Harley Quinn who was never a member of the group and Cassandra Cain who became Batgirl because Barbara started raise her and that just feels bizarre. That said, that's not my biggest problem, that would be using the first female superhero team just to make a Harley Quinn movie who is a huge villain that did so many crimes (her being on Suicide Squad tells a lot) ends up creating a superhero team and I'm tired of overexposure of her (and Joker). I feel like I'm being too negative and I hope I'm wrong on this movie but I do not feel hopeful for this at all.

Margot Robbie and Mary Elizabeth Winstead sharing the same screen as Harley and Huntress respectively? That's enough for me. But a nice, cohesive story would be a plus too. And I can agree that the absence of Oracle is pretty glaring, but at the same time, I guess I can see why they would wanna avoid bringing in direct extensions of the Bat family given how in flux that part of the extended universe is at the moment, especially with Robert Battinson still on the horizon. Hopefully they at least reference her or something.