• Advertisement

Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated Announced

Jinjo

I finished the game and I have to say it was a fun experience just like the original game. While I wish that they could've made things a little different like add new scenes and new dialogue, it was still a great game to play.

Though, that doesn't mean it didn't have its drawbacks. The one thing I didn't like was that they raised the prices for Mr. Krabs's golden spatulas. It used to be that the price would increase by 500 per spatula, but it is now 3.000. Meaning that his final spatula, which used to cost 7.500 shiny objects, now cost 24,000. And since the remake nerfed the skee ball abuse speedrun, the only ways to speed up grinding shiny objects is to detonate the tikis on top of the sandcastle and and then leave to reset, or go down guppy hill multiple times. So anyone playing this game should start grinding as soon as they can if they want to afford Mr. Krabs's spatulas. 

Saving up for the movie theater isn't all that worth it anymore either. In the original, it contained concept art for the game. But the remake only contains ten screenshots from the game. So definitely not worth grinding 40,000 shiny objects for.

I haven't played multiplayer yet, so I can't give my thoughts on that.

• Like 3

Hey, a while ago, they released a new patch for the game, which fixed some of the problems I had stated on my previous post. The new patch reduces the price for Mr. Krabs's golden spatulas, bringing it back down to the original game's price scaling of 500 per spatula. Also, the movie theater now shows concept art for the game.

Since my last post, I had played horde mode and can now give an opinion of it. While it was pretty cool fighting Robo-Squidward and playing as Gary and Squidward, it was also pretty underwhelming and I feeling there could've been more to it, like a storyline, dialogue, or some kind of reward at the end.  So, I'd rather just stick to playing the single player mode.

Started playing the game again the other day and I'm disappointed there's no screen size adjustment setting after the new patch was added, but maybe it's just a problem only I seem to be having where the bottom edge is just obscured. It's not a huge deal but it does obscure whatever commands are placed there so it's hard to see what the hell is going on on the screen. Game's still as cute and fun as always regardless.

And also tried the horde/multiplayer mode too. Despite my internet working I couldn't do it online so I just used my spare controller to play locally and...it sucks? The whole Robo-Squidward stage feels half-arsed as if it was just hastily put together in order to provide something different and "new" or whatever. Also kinda insulting they have platforms designed after Patrick's scrapped dream level. I mean, I dunno, I suppose it's a cute reference but considering they're platforms with actual textures and stuff it only further begs the question as to why we didn't get the dream level originally intended especially considering they probably had access the the audio files needed for dialogue.

Weird thing is, the Robo-Squidward battle feels like a boss battle that could have been implemented into the game, albeit requiring new cutscenes, dialogue, etc. Just set the fight in Tentacle Acres or the Boating School or something and adjust the battle itself to fit the location and it'd be a pretty cool implementation.

I feel this game could've been better. Not to say I didn't enjoy it, but when I heard they were remaking Battle for Bikini Bottom, I was expecting something as good as Spyro Reignited. Then I heard that it would've been that good , but Nickelodeon wanted the game to be out at the same time Sponge on the Run was originally going to be released resulting in the developers having to reuse the same music, voice acting, and gameplay, as well as several bugs that had to be patched later. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NegiSpongie said:

I feel this game could've been better. Not to say I didn't enjoy it, but when I heard they were remaking Battle for Bikini Bottom, I was expecting something as good as Spyro Reignited. Then I heard that it would've been that good , but Nickelodeon wanted the game to be out at the same time Sponge on the Run was originally going to be released resulting in the developers having to reuse the same music, voice acting, and gameplay, as well as several bugs that had to be patched later. 

I would argue that resusing a good deal of audio assets and gameplay is sort of the point, since the remaster's main mission is to just make it look prettier than before judging by how much more refined and detailed everything in the game looks in general. Although I must say, that I'm still a wee bit sad that Mr. Krabs' line weren't re-recorded for this game, but I'm sure they had their reasons, probably your aforementoned timely release for SotR.

The primary issue really lies not in how much it feels like an aged game in an industry that's moved on (for lack of a better way of putting it...I hope you get what I mean XD), but really in how I feel like it was just lackluster in promising us cut content being restored this time around. I don't think I'll ever not be pissed about Patrick's Dream not being restored. And putting it in Horde Mode isn't good enough for me...if you have the assets and the textures, and even a literal build of the level at the ready, I don't see why you can't implement it into the game; this could even be done through a patch at a later date if deadlines are an issue. And I don't think "preserving everything from the original game" is a good enough reason to keep the version of Patrick's dream that we get in both versions at the end...I'm pretty sure people would've loved to have that dream expanded. The assets were there for the original to have it, and yet was never used, and while there was an opportunity for Rehydrated to give us this...they did not.

I mean, I don't know maybe that's just my personal feelings on that particular matter and I can respect if that wasn't a possibility even if I believe it could've been. It really just exemplifies how the "bonus/additional content" selling point wasn't really delivered as well as it could have been or maybe I expected a little more than I ought to have.

Also they'll deadass put time and money into making a mobile port - why would you want that, I do not know for the life of me -and still not add the Dream? Okay, I see how it is...

In thinking of ways the remake actually had additional content or major changes, because admittedly it's been a while since I played it and from what I remember it basically played the exact same as the original to a T, I came across this list which solely seems to point out aesthetic changes. Nothing about anything substantial added into the remake, just...the fact that its attempt at a glow-up has its pros and cons. Well, they do mention the multiplayer mode as the single worst change from the original, which I honestly agree with a lot. The multiplayer mode had potential, and was the only thing I recall being drastically different from the original game, and yet I find it quite an aggravating addition; time was spent on adding a multiplayer mode that could have been spent on adding new elements in the new game; add to the experience everyone already loves to give them more to go back to and more to do before actually adding anything that diverges from this experience.

Quite frankly, I am a firm believer that the idea of a multiplayer could have been scrapped entirely and everything that was gonna sell it to players - the Robo-Squidward fight, additional characters (or maybe just Squidward) - could've been added into the main game. How many people are buying the remaster for an opportunity to play a separate multiplayer compared to those who actually want to play the game again? Not many, I'd wager. Mutliplayer was an odd decision, incorporating the few bits of actually substantial cut content from the original into something that isn't worth it.

The game is still fun and enjoyable, definitely charming enough for me to replay whenever I wish (especially when my PS4 is readily accessible), and it's great that this game is available to kids today on consoles they'll have today. But all it is objectively is the same game, made up and repackaged in hopes of making a comeback on newer consoles. And that's all this game is at the end of the day; a polished version of the original. It shines; it's got a prettier face, gorgeous and pleasing to look at...but outside of that? Not much else.

• Like 2