• Advertisement

‘SpongeBob SquarePants’ CG-Animated Prequel Series ‘Kamp Koral’ Greenlighted By Nickelodeon

Jjs Goodman

Watched half the pilot... I don't get the logic behind putting the pilot up on Youtube...if you want people to sub to your service for it why would you give people it for free??

Anyway, I was basically on the money, at least for me.

It's not awful. It has some funny dialogue and great character designs. I like a lot of the callbacks (Plankton's college fund, baby Pearl, Bubble Bass, Kevin the cucumber), and a lot of the poses and visual expressions are great. I forgot who said this; but earlier in the thread someone said KK's basically CG new Spongebob and that's basically right. I guess people who like the newer episodes might dig this. I don't care for them though, so it leaves me feeling empty.

...But it's still not very good. Aged down Spongebob is a stupid concept that goes against the idea of the series...these characters are childish adults, what's the point of physically aging them down? I know Dave said on discord the show's humor isn't aged down, but it felt pretty aged down to me.

The animation isn't very good. I applaud the team for trying their best to emulate the squash and stretch of 2d Spongebob, I think they did a great job on pushing the expressions like on the main show; but the lighting still looks garish and cheap. A lot of the character models look inadvertedly creepy. I understand translating a 2d IP like Spongebob to CG is hard, but Sponge Out of Water and Sponge on the Run look gorgeous and just about perfectly translate SB to CG. The art style could've worked; they just needed a much bigger budget. And Spongebob more than makes enough money to justify it; anyone who says otherwise is caping for Viacom.

Anyway, this went about as expected. I don't know why anyone would think this would be *unsavagely* awful, the newer episodes aren't half bad and a lot of the crew clearly put a lot of time and passion into the show.

I also don't think it not being that bad is justification for it not being that good either; or retroactively invalidating the (still valid) argument of whether Steve would've approved of KK or not.

Edited by Jane