• Advertisement

‘SpongeBob SquarePants’ CG-Animated Prequel Series ‘Kamp Koral’ Greenlighted By Nickelodeon

Jinjo

I have no idea why Nickelodeon keeps consistently releasing allegedly unfinished footage of the show.

KK already has a negative reputation online why would they promote low quality footage of it?

I hope it will be good- I believe the crew wants to make as good a show as they can given the circumstances, and SOOW and SOTR have shown Spongebob can work pretty well in CG- but everything I've seen so far doesn't make me very optimistic.

That footage looked like a PS2 game. I can't understate how bad it looked.

If Vince and Dave are right that it looks a lot better with the full rez, final textures, and color scheme I'll happily eat crow, but right now I just don't know.

I heard some rumors about that being an earlier version of the CGI but even if it is, the sneak peek was just awful. Concept aside, the execution is ugly, childish in a bad way, and also felt like a boring watch ironically. Maybe I'll watch some eps to fully judge it but so far this looks like a walking disaster. I hope one of these spinoffs actually hit but this one should've stayed as an afterthought.

• Like 1

My honest opinion of the sneak peak of "Kamp Koral": STILL a better spin-off than "Teen Titans Go!" (If Joe Biden can win the presidency, you can tolerate ME not liking that show!) Sandy Cheeks sounds a little bit off as a kid, but hopefully, she'll get better at it as it goes along. I can't BELIEVE they brought Kevin the Sea Cucumber back! Hope they actually DO something with him! Also, this is the first time I really got to SEE the age differences between all the main characters. Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff are the oldest, Squidward is about a teenager, Pearl is a young baby, and everyone else is a kid, although Plankton is already starting to work towards his college fund. I'll probably be one of the FEW people on this website, who will watch this show unironically, just to see how it compares to the original show. Enough said, true believers!

Yeah, that was just as bad as I thought it'd be, but I'll admit there were some moments I chuckled at like Kevin being there, baby Pearl, and Plankton starting his college fund. But the CGI looks cheap. I know it can't be movie quality, but it still looks really bad. One thing that bugs me is the kid characters not sounding like kids- or the actors not making much of an effort to make the characters sound younger. As strange as it sounds, I kinda prefer the kid actors they used in the movie. Not sure why they just couldn't get another set of kid actors to play the kid characters- unless they want us to think SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward were already hitting puberty.  Anyway, I won't make much of an effort to see it. Maybe if I happen to come across an episode, I'll check it out just to see what it's like, but nah.

Genuinely not like completely terrible. The writing feels like typical SpongeBob writing. The animation direction is clearly trying to have like tons of wacky faces which kind of stays true to the direction the modern show is going in. The only real problem is the horrific lighting on the models in outdoor scenes that makes it look like a PS2 game at its worst. The animation feels very inconsistent but the rest of this sneak peek is the definition of "fine". It just feels like a less fun version of the modern show.

• Like 1

It's boring and it looks like an early version of BFBB on PS2 at some points, but it's not horrible. I still don't understand who the exact target audience will be for this. Like, is it for little kids or is it for tweens? Is it for current watchers of the show who want to see something different? Absolutely no idea.

Dave Cunningham recently confirmed in a Q&A that the show has been extended from its original 13 half hour order into 26 now. He also said the second half is not finished yet so I have a feeling that Paramount+ will be dropping the show in two parts.

EDIT: The first six episodes will drop March 4th, 2021 on Paramount+. Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/the-spongebob-movie-sponge-on-the-run-and-kamp-koral-spongebobs-under-years-paramount-premiere-dates-announced

image0.jpg 

another birthday present, wee (they really shouldn't have)

Nat Patterson: "Do you think THIS is funny?!" Plankton: "In a cosmic sort of way, yes." What's also kind of funny (in a cosmic sort of way), is that the first six episodes will be premiering on my Mother's birthday! So...happy birthday to her? I'll wait and see if it turns out to be any good. (PLEASE let it be at LEAST decent!) Enough said!

On 1/28/2021 at 12:20 PM, jjsthekid said:

Dave Cunningham recently confirmed in a Q&A that the show has been extended from its original 13 half hour order into 26 now. He also said the second half is not finished yet so I have a feeling that Paramount+ will be dropping the show in two parts.

EDIT: The first six episodes will drop March 4th, 2021 on Paramount+. Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/the-spongebob-movie-sponge-on-the-run-and-kamp-koral-spongebobs-under-years-paramount-premiere-dates-announced

image0.jpg 

another birthday present, wee (they really shouldn't have)

that's shocking because from what vincent had said on twitter they had completed 13 half hours last summer?

They're distracting a lot of attention away from the main show at this point

On 1/30/2021 at 4:15 PM, NegiSpongie said:

Even the designs on the poster look cheap. They're so sure they have a big hit on their hands that they're extending the episode order before the series has even premiered. 

I don't know much about CG animation, but the character models look fine. The animation itself is fine.

It seems like it's the lighting and texturing that makes it look really bad. There's a few outdoor shots that look alright but the shadows look too dark and muddy constantly.

I think SpongeBob can work really well in CG- Sponge out of water and Sponge on the run proved it, but I think you need a big budget to polish the lighting and such.

TV caliber CG just looks like a bad PS2 licensed game.

And Spongebob makes enough money to where they could put a movie-like budget into it. I don't get it

On 6/6/2019 at 12:35 PM, Steel Sponge said:

...I've been thinking way too much on the morality of this spin-off project lately, so yeah...screw it, I'm going hard on this.

This whole Kamp Koral situation has been challenging my own stance as fan of the series. I've often cited SpongeBob as Nick's most timeless series and despite what would be my growing fears of the series' future, I made the prediction that the series will end up continuing past Hillenburg's life, in the form of perhaps the same life cycle as most of any of the Hanna-Barbera cartoons. The problem I have with this new SB series announcement has not always been the spin-off itself. It's the timing of it.

I do not know Stephen Hillenburg personally. I never met him. I don't know everything in what he would have wanted for the franchise to be and what he would've never wanted for it to be, even if I'd really like to know what he would and wouldn't have wanted. While it's best that I don't make assumptions about someone that I don't know at all, I know one thing about him as much as anyone else including the people behind the spin-off project: he has zero interest in spin-offs based on his show. I don't know if the announcement of this upcoming SB spin-off would make him feel aggravated if he were still with us, but after seeing how Paul Tibbitt has spoken up against it, he has made a very solid and crucial point. Kamp Koral very much goes against Hillenburg's original vision of SpongeBob and Hillenburg himself probably wouldn't have approved of it.

That's not even the worst thing about this news. While the news articles centering on Nick's call to create SB spin-offs seem to suggest that they're being made in Hillenburg's honor, NOWHERE does Robbins or any of the other higher ups spoke of their sorrow towards Hillenburg's death. Nowhere did they say that were making new, multiple SB series because they felt that Hillenburg would've appreciated them. Nowhere did they say that Hillenburg approved of their decision to keep making SpongeBob for as long as they pleased. Nowhere did they say that Hillenburg approved of this whole Kamp Koral concept. All that these news articles have ever implied to me is that Nickelodeon is going keep producing material for the SpongeBob franchise because SB is their most successful television series, cable is dying, and they need to do whatever it takes to survive in the industry, even if it means going against Hillenburg's vision.

BUT do you want to know what really makes my blood boil about this news? Once again, it is the timing of it. I wouldn't have felt very mad if Nick had made this announcement some goods year later, but instead, we're getting hit with this news just a mere few months after Hillenburg's death. This not only produces the strong implication of grave-robbery, but this also strongly implies that Nickelodeon was waiting for Hillenburg to die so they could eventually announce that they will do whatever with the franchise now that they have the complete freedom to do whatever they want with it. Now I know that Nick and Viacom has always held total ownership of this franchise, but it's very clear now that Hillenburg's presence had laid the company his own ground rules regarding SB. Also, because Robbins nor any other higher up working Nick have talked of Hillenburg in-depth, they still have, by far, never denied this kind of behavior that most people believe that they are displaying right now. Perhaps they are waiting for the right time to speak about this problem, but still.

I've said this many times before, but I'll say it again: this is the current state of Nickelodeon we're dealing with. Cyma left Robbins and everyone else with a dysfunctional business and seeing just how desperate Nick's current approach to stay afloat is, I'm willing to bet that the company may take quite a long time to recover from this, but who knows? Maybe Nick will never make a proper recovery. From the looks of it, Nick is continuing to make the same mistakes they're making by cutting corners, showing a lack of care towards their IPs that aren't SpongeBob, and of course putting way too much focus on their most profitable IP and over-saturating its market.

Back on the topic of Kamp Koral, I've finally jumped to a conclusion on how I pretty much feel about this upcoming spin-off. I will give it a chance and see how it pans out for the first few episodes or so. It will feel like an unwarranted retcon of SB's original vision, but who knows? Perhaps it's not actually canon to the original SpongeBob universe and it merely takes place in a different universe. Maybe it will not feel so much like it's taking so many elements from Camp Lazlo. What matters most to me though is that it treats Hillenburg and his legacy with the utmost respect. If not, then I will refuse to support this spin-off and any other new SB series that Nick will throw at me. I can easily write off Kamp Koral as a SB series only in-name. As long as the project is also not being spearheaded by the creative team behind the original SB series, I shouldn't have to treat this is as a genuine SB series.

The main reason why I've come to this conclusion is primarily because this string of news that we've been receiving from Nickelodeon has completely cemented my feelings on them being a POS company. It's not because they're making a new SB series that's very suggestively going to retcon certain key points from the original series. It's not because of the company's current desperate plea to continue thriving in the cable television industry. It's not because of some of their faulty business practices. The reason is because Nickelodeon is and always has been treating each one of their shows as objects and will also probably always have creative control over them as well. Why else would The Fairly OddParents end up becoming worse with each new character Nick pressured for Butch to add? Why else would they be prematurely cancelling any of their shows? Most of all, why else would the SB franchise be suffering from all that's going to happen to it? I may have already answered that last question previous times in this same post, but still.

So yeah, if Kamp Koral doesn't manage to be a very pleasing addition to the SB franchise, it's definitely best that I simply write it off not just as an in-name only SB series, but as an effort that's only being headed by a group of people who treat SB as an object and not by a team of people who genuinely respect Hillenburg's vision. Like Jjs has said before on Discord, it's a little too late to get Nick to hold off on this new project, but hey, I don't expect Robbins and the rest of Nick's current executive staff to keep their promise to quote-unquote make SpongeBob forever. At the very least, it's important that I, and as well as everyone else, have a voice and speak loud enough so that the company will have to listen. There's the old-fashioned saying never say never and if Nick will never say never stop making SpongeBob, then I say never say never try to make them reconsider.

Finally, I just want to say that I show absolutely no disrespect towards anyone who is working on the new SB spin-off. I do not blame them for letting the project pull through 'cause as I ever so implicitly stated, the spin-off has Robbins and the executive staff's strings attached to it. If anyone writing/producing/drawing/etc. for the Kamp Koral spin-off ever end up receiving death threats, I know I'm going to sympathize for them. Heck, I also somewhat feel bad for Ceccarelli and Waller when it comes to the thought that they're giving a hand on this spin-off not primarily because they wanted to, but because they have to AND that they might probably also be on the receiving end of death threats. Most of all, however, I sympathize with Paul Tibbitt and I fully support him for speaking out on the matter.

Now, to this close this rant, all I have to say now is this: Screw Viacom, screw Nickelodeon, screw Cyma, screw Brian Graverobbins and others in Nick's staff for enabling and displaying this level of disrespect to the series creator, and screw anyone else that objectifies the SpongeBob franchise. Either Nick acts up and leaves SB the hell alone, or I continue to hope they go bankrupt before anyone with a good heart takes SB from their hands and treat it and Hillenburg with a great deal of respect.

Well, this did not age well.

I've been thinking about it for a while now if my feelings towards this whole debacle have been too harsh, and considering that Vincent Waller had to come out now and convince us to stop sticking up for a dead creator that none of us know personally as much as he and any others do, then I'm going to say it upfront that I'm definitely over Nick's handling of this whole situation, and of their treatment towards SB. It still kinda sucks in some ways, but it's always been so inevitable that I have to accept this.

Of course, when I made that post, Nickelodeon wasn't making themselves clear as to how this came to fruition, so I got consumed by my own anger, and I had to jump to my own conclusion by sticking to my belief that this is an act of graverobbing, all while I've expressed this out of sheer love for SB and appreciation towards Hillenburg. Now I know it's for the best that I don't make assumptions like this again, as I should've known better than to put my words into the mouth of someone who's gone, and someone I never knew personally. This is pretty much what Vincent Waller would want out of SB's fans, and I hope everyone else realizes that this all isn't worth getting so upset about anymore.

One thing that's still very much the same from my original reaction to this news is that I do not encourage anyone whatsoever to harass anyone involved in the making of Kamp Koral, so to those who are doing that, and I don't direct this towards anyone on SBC: stop.

However, if Nickelodeon, ViacomCBS, or whatever were to commit another shady act, I know that I will call them out for it, but I will keep my anger in check.

Edited by Deepak

So it's almost judgement day...

this is gonna be the most entertaining day of the fandom, lol.

i'm betting a 52% on rotten tomatoes and the consensus being "it's not good but it's not nearly as bad as we thought it would be"

Twitter animation fanboys are prob gonna use that as justification to think it's a masterpiece tho. "it's not complete dogshit, therefore all criticisms of it are retroactively invalid"

Edited by Jane