• Advertisement

‘SpongeBob SquarePants’ CG-Animated Prequel Series ‘Kamp Koral’ Greenlighted By Nickelodeon

Jinjo

26 minutes ago, Steel Sponge said:

Also, while I'm not completely accurate, this quote from the same article strongly implies that a S13 for the original series will happen:

i'm more than sure that it means s12.

us aired like 4 episodes at best at this point and this season will be longest in a while (54 segments), so i think nick is just stretching it out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Klu said:

us aired like 4 episodes at best at this point and this season will be longest in a while (54 segments), so i think nick is just stretching it out.

I’m more than certain they’ll air it across 5 or 6 years, so they can technically say SpongeBob lasted 25 years. Heck, while they’re at it, they can even form a narrative and let Kamp Koral get cancelled during Season 12’s airing, which’ll go out on a high (ergo, profitable) note and save SpongeBob’s legacy.

Of course we know and will know that Season 12 will be replaced by Koral, but you never know how desperate Nickelodeon can be anymore.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, SpongeCob said:

SpongeBob should have never outlived it's creator

Well, that was sadly going to be inevitable regardless of how long Stephen Hillenburg lived. Take Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse for instance. Walt Disney passed away in 1966, yet Mickey Mouse is still making cartoons and going strong 53 years later. Now, I'm not saying that Spongebob IS Nickelodeon's equivalent of Mickey Mouse or anything like that, but there is going to have to come a time where most people will have to accept the fact that "Spongebob Squarepants" is going to continue, with or without his original creator. And people are free to regard anything as canon or non-canon as they are going to do. People do that all that time with certain "Looney Tunes" shorts and other cartoons of that nature. That's my personal viewpoint on the matter.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/7/2019 at 6:27 AM, 4EverGreen said:

Unpopular opinion time, may I just point out one thing here? From season 4 - season 9A, Nickelodeon made "Spongebob Squarepants" mostly WITHOUT Stephen Hillenburg's direct input, nobody bats an eye. Nickelodeon announces that they're going to make a "Spongebob Squarepants" prequel series without Stephen Hillenburg's direct approval, and EVERYBODY loses their MINDS!!!! o.o The show hasn't even AIRED yet, and everyone is already making a judgment about whether its good or not! :rolleyes: I seriously think we should just wait until it airs, before we can make an intelligent decision about the cartoon series, and whether its good or not! Enough said! :cool:

Here's the difference.

- Hillenburg never wanted SpongeBob to be aged down to a kid so much that he almost walked out of Nickelodeon when they wanted the show to be that.

- He was strictly against at crossovers and spin-offs.

- season 4-9A are still in the show itself.

- This was done to tie in to third movie which will feature the flashback.

- This is pure Nickelodeon meddling and this has come up after he died. Not a coincidence and Tibbitt pointed out Hillenburg would have hated this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hug 1

On 6/13/2019 at 7:23 AM, 4EverGreen said:

Well, that was sadly going to be inevitable regardless of how long Stephen Hillenburg lived. Take Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse for instance. Walt Disney passed away in 1966, yet Mickey Mouse is still making cartoons and going strong 53 years later. Now, I'm not saying that Spongebob IS Nickelodeon's equivalent of Mickey Mouse or anything like that, but there is going to have to come a time where most people will have to accept the fact that "Spongebob Squarepants" is going to continue, with or without his original creator. And people are free to regard anything as canon or non-canon as they are going to do. People do that all that time with certain "Looney Tunes" shorts and other cartoons of that nature. That's my personal viewpoint on the matter.

Disney company was built on the foundation of Mickey Mouse which Walt Disney had reign and freedom and he handed the mouse to others. If he didn't want Mickey Mouse to be used by others, he would have just shut down the company. Nick was never built on SpongeBob and Hillenburg was just a show creator and nothing more. Nick did this without his approval to do whatever they can with SpongeBob. You are right that SpongeBob would have continued regardless without him but at least it would be just one damn show, not a damn prequel spin-off and 11 more spin-off they wanna do because apparently SpongeBob is their own Marvel universe.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 3

I know it's probably been said, but I still find it sick that they proposed this after Hillenberg died, knowing full well he couldn't stop them. Even without that factor, I think the spin-off is going to bomb.

The "summer camp" schtick is already a paper thin concept, and as a prequel they may just use it as an excuse to reuse old ideas. Not to mention, potential marketing possibilities.

Lastly, the fact that it's going to be a CGI show, and for what I assume to be a weekly junction, it's going to be just slightly under the bar (or doomed to look dated years from now.)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NegiSpongie said:

You know what I just realized? If Nickelodeon wants SpongeBob to be aged down to a kid, how different is he gonna be? I mean, SpongeBob is already an adult who acts like a kid. The only difference is he's in a summer camp.

I think Mr. Enter mentiones this in his reaction video as well.

2 hours ago, NegiSpongie said:

Oh, I stopped watching Mr. Enter a long time ago cuz I found him too whiny.

This was actually a decent video about how SpongeBobs charms and general idea used to be about being a child-like adult and why this series makes no sense because of that.

New information from an interview with Brian Robbins:

"TV KIDS: Tell us about how Kamp Koral came about, and what the plans are for the SpongeBob universe.

ROBBINS: Literally my second or third day here, I was asked to go to a SpongeBob season 12 or 13 pickup meeting. I asked a lot of questions. What I realized is that we’ve made a lot of shows over many, many years, but the shows basically stayed the same. We had all these great characters in the world of SpongeBob, but we never individually explored their origin stories or their histories or put them in their own environments. So we decided to put a room together and really look at what the SpongeBob universe looks like. And out of that came the Kamp Koral idea and actually a couple of other ideas. Kamp Koral is the first show. It will be a limited summer series. I just saw amazing animation tests and conceptual art that blew us all away. It’s basically about how Patrick and SpongeBob met in summer camp when they were kids. It’s not SpongeBob babies, so to speak, but it is in CG, and they’re younger and cuter. Sandy is really cute in it. She has braces. It’s really fun and it looks different but still feels like SpongeBob. I couldn’t be more excited about it."

Source: https://worldscreen.com/tvkids/nickelodeons-brian-robbins-on-key-strengths-of-the-brand/

So yeah, if you were expecting them to keep continuity with "Tea at the Treedome", it seems like that has been shot out the window.

• Sad 5
  • Confused 1

Yeah. No. Still not buying into this B.S.

At least I know now that they are sacrificing a piece of SB lore for Kamp Koral, but that doesn't not make my feelings towards the spin-off any better. Not because of the fact that one significant piece of continuity from the original series is being re-tooled, but because the spin-off still appears as if it's going against Hillenburg's original vision.

I get wanting to explore more in depth with some of the characters, but I don't see why Robbins and his executive team could just request for the original series' creative team to come up with whatever stories they want to see from the characters for the original, ongoing series and, you know, WITHOUT HAVING TO MAKE AT LEAST A DOZEN SPIN-OFFS ABOUT THESE CHARACTERS.

On top of that, SB was hardly ever important for its lore, so that justifies why we still don't really need Kamp Koral, or any more SB-related spin-offs to an extension. I don't even think we need to know the backgrounds behind these characters 'cause as far as I'm aware, aren't these characters already pre-disposed with their own histories? We know why Sandy met SB and the other inhabitants in Bikini Bottom and surely we also know why she lives there. We know why Plankton and Mr. Krabs hate each other and we know why they've started their own business. We kinda know why Squidward is miserable most of the time. We know why Fred breaks his leg a lot. We know why Mrs. Puff doesn't like SpongeBob. Sure, we don't why she decided to teach boating, but I should ask, do we NEED to know why? SpongeBob is not a lore-heavy  series, and it never has been. And of course, trying to explain most of why the SB universe is what is would make SB feel less interesting, as I believe that one of the worst things you could do with a speculative work of fiction like SB is give your audience much less of a reason to speculate.

It's moments like these that make me fear that, before we know it, Nick will start producing a spin-off that will explain why Mr. Krabs has a whale for a daughter - one thing in which Hillenburg has made perfectly clear that he has ruled against letting anyone do. If Kamp Koral being a limited summer series means that it won't last longer than a single season, then I'd be fairly satisfied about that.

• Like 1