• Advertisement

‘SpongeBob SquarePants’ CG-Animated Prequel Series ‘Kamp Koral’ Greenlighted By Nickelodeon

Jinjo

Seeing that twitter post just made me sad, because yeah, it's true. Making this spin-off that retcons the whole show right after Steve's passing is just awful. And we all know this is just a shameless gimmick just to cash in on SpongeBob's popularity. When I met Zach Heffelfinger a few weeks ago at a meet, I really had to bite my tongue when he was telling a little kid news about the spin-offs. IF this ends up bombing like Planet Sheen, I can only hope they learn their lesson.

But on the bright side, I'm glad this isn't the plot of the movie after all.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I don't give a flying fuck about this spin-off. 

Idea sounds awful and it being in CGI also sounds cursed.

But the best thing we can do, all people that hate the mere idea of such thing happening, it's just to ignore it.

No rants, no attention.

This project deserves to die in infancy and obscurity. 

From now on I will ignore every bit of news related to this "project".

• Like 1
  • Hug 2

"at least the 3rd movies gonna be good!"

I don't even want the third film, and now another cancer has spawned from that. SOOW isn't even as good as I remembered it being.

Edited by SpongeCob
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe if Nick had waited a few years before going ahead with this, I'd be a little more on board. As it is right now though, it just feels incredibly disrespectful that they're going against Stephen's wishes so soon after his death (It's barely been half a year, Nick, c'mon).

Not to mention I really don't see why this needed to be a spin-off (Other than for money). This premise could've easily worked with the main show via something along the lines of Legends of Bikini Bottom or whatever. I'm also not too hyped about being CG, but if it ends up looking good I can get used to it.

I'll probably watch it when it premieres out of curiosity, but I'm not sure if I'll keep up with it afterward 

NOTE: This post as well as any other posts I've made on this thread preceding 2021 have been made out of anger and confusion towards the timing and general presentation of Nickelodeon's SB spin-off announcements, and therefore are outdated and do not reflection my current position on the company making SB spin-offs after Hillenburg's death. I've come to learn that as someone who never knew Hillenburg personally, it is most respectful of me not to speak on his behalf, no matter the context, so do not take anything that I've said here as gospel or as a reflection of my views on this matter. However, this post remains intact as means of taking responsibility for what I've said.

...I've been thinking way too much on the morality of this spin-off project lately, so yeah...screw it, I'm going hard on this.

This whole Kamp Koral situation has been challenging my own stance as fan of the series. I've often cited SpongeBob as Nick's most timeless series and despite what would be my growing fears of the series' future, I made the prediction that the series will end up continuing past Hillenburg's life, in the form of perhaps the same life cycle as most of any of the Hanna-Barbera cartoons. The problem I have with this new SB series announcement has not always been the spin-off itself. It's the timing of it.

I do not know Stephen Hillenburg personally. I never met him. I don't know everything in what he would have wanted for the franchise to be and what he would've never wanted for it to be, even if I'd really like to know what he would and wouldn't have wanted. While it's best that I don't make assumptions about someone that I don't know at all, I know one thing about him as much as anyone else including the people behind the spin-off project: he has zero interest in spin-offs based on his show. I don't know if the announcement of this upcoming SB spin-off would make him feel aggravated if he were still with us, but after seeing how Paul Tibbitt has spoken up against it, he has made a very solid and crucial point. Kamp Koral very much goes against Hillenburg's original vision of SpongeBob and Hillenburg himself probably wouldn't have approved of it.

That's not even the worst thing about this news. While the news articles centering on Nick's call to create SB spin-offs seem to suggest that they're being made in Hillenburg's honor, NOWHERE does Robbins or any of the other higher ups spoke of their sorrow towards Hillenburg's death. Nowhere did they say that were making new, multiple SB series because they felt that Hillenburg would've appreciated them. Nowhere did they say that Hillenburg approved of their decision to keep making SpongeBob for as long as they pleased. Nowhere did they say that Hillenburg approved of this whole Kamp Koral concept. All that these news articles have ever implied to me is that Nickelodeon is going keep producing material for the SpongeBob franchise because SB is their most successful television series, cable is dying, and they need to do whatever it takes to survive in the industry, even if it means going against Hillenburg's vision.

BUT do you want to know what really makes my blood boil about this news? Once again, it is the timing of it. I wouldn't have felt very mad if Nick had made this announcement some goods year later, but instead, we're getting hit with this news just a mere few months after Hillenburg's death. This not only produces the strong implication of grave-robbery, but this also strongly implies that Nickelodeon was waiting for Hillenburg to die so they could eventually announce that they will do whatever with the franchise now that they have the complete freedom to do whatever they want with it. Now I know that Nick and Viacom has always held total ownership of this franchise, but it's very clear now that Hillenburg's presence had laid the company his own ground rules regarding SB. Also, because Robbins nor any other higher up working Nick have talked of Hillenburg in-depth, they still have, by far, never denied this kind of behavior that most people believe that they are displaying right now. Perhaps they are waiting for the right time to speak about this problem, but still.

I've said this many times before, but I'll say it again: this is the current state of Nickelodeon we're dealing with. Cyma left Robbins and everyone else with a dysfunctional business and seeing just how desperate Nick's current approach to stay afloat is, I'm willing to bet that the company may take quite a long time to recover from this, but who knows? Maybe Nick will never make a proper recovery. From the looks of it, Nick is continuing to make the same mistakes they're making by cutting corners, showing a lack of care towards their IPs that aren't SpongeBob, and of course putting way too much focus on their most profitable IP and over-saturating its market.

Back on the topic of Kamp Koral, I've finally jumped to a conclusion on how I pretty much feel about this upcoming spin-off. I will give it a chance and see how it pans out for the first few episodes or so. It will feel like an unwarranted retcon of SB's original vision, but who knows? Perhaps it's not actually canon to the original SpongeBob universe and it merely takes place in a different universe. Maybe it will not feel so much like it's taking so many elements from Camp Lazlo. What matters most to me though is that it treats Hillenburg and his legacy with the utmost respect. If not, then I will refuse to support this spin-off and any other new SB series that Nick will throw at me. I can easily write off Kamp Koral as a SB series only in-name. As long as the project is also not being spearheaded by the creative team behind the original SB series, I shouldn't have to treat this is as a genuine SB series.

The main reason why I've come to this conclusion is primarily because this string of news that we've been receiving from Nickelodeon has completely cemented my feelings on them being a POS company. It's not because they're making a new SB series that's very suggestively going to retcon certain key points from the original series. It's not because of the company's current desperate plea to continue thriving in the cable television industry. It's not because of some of their faulty business practices. The reason is because Nickelodeon is and always has been treating each one of their shows as objects and will also probably always have creative control over them as well. Why else would The Fairly OddParents end up becoming worse with each new character Nick pressured for Butch to add? Why else would they be prematurely cancelling any of their shows? Most of all, why else would the SB franchise be suffering from all that's going to happen to it? I may have already answered that last question previous times in this same post, but still.

So yeah, if Kamp Koral doesn't manage to be a very pleasing addition to the SB franchise, it's definitely best that I simply write it off not just as an in-name only SB series, but as an effort that's only being headed by a group of people who treat SB as an object and not by a team of people who genuinely respect Hillenburg's vision. Like Jjs has said before on Discord, it's a little too late to get Nick to hold off on this new project, but hey, I don't expect Robbins and the rest of Nick's current executive staff to keep their promise to quote-unquote make SpongeBob forever. At the very least, it's important that I, and as well as everyone else, have a voice and speak loud enough so that the company will have to listen. There's the old-fashioned saying never say never and if Nick will never say never stop making SpongeBob, then I say never say never try to make them reconsider.

Finally, I just want to say that I show absolutely no disrespect towards anyone who is working on the new SB spin-off. I do not blame them for letting the project pull through 'cause as I ever so implicitly stated, the spin-off has Robbins and the executive staff's strings attached to it. If anyone writing/producing/drawing/etc. for the Kamp Koral spin-off ever end up receiving death threats, I know I'm going to sympathize for them. Heck, I also somewhat feel bad for Ceccarelli and Waller when it comes to the thought that they're giving a hand on this spin-off not primarily because they wanted to, but because they have to AND that they might probably also be on the receiving end of death threats. Most of all, however, I sympathize with Paul Tibbitt and I fully support him for speaking out on the matter.

Now, to this close this rant, all I have to say now is this: Screw Viacom, screw Nickelodeon, screw Cyma, screw Brian Graverobbins and others in Nick's staff for enabling and displaying this level of disrespect to the series creator, and screw anyone else that objectifies the SpongeBob franchise. Either Nick acts up and leaves SB the hell alone, or I continue to hope they go bankrupt before anyone with a good heart takes SB from their hands and treat it and Hillenburg with a great deal of respect.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1
  • Hug 1

Unpopular opinion time, may I just point out one thing here? From season 4 - season 9A, Nickelodeon made "Spongebob Squarepants" mostly WITHOUT Stephen Hillenburg's direct input, nobody bats an eye. Nickelodeon announces that they're going to make a "Spongebob Squarepants" prequel series without Stephen Hillenburg's direct approval, and EVERYBODY loses their MINDS!!!! o.o The show hasn't even AIRED yet, and everyone is already making a judgment about whether its good or not! :rolleyes: I seriously think we should just wait until it airs, before we can make an intelligent decision about the cartoon series, and whether its good or not! Enough said! :cool:

• Sad 1
  • Confused 1
  • God Himself 2

1 hour ago, 4EverGreen said:

Unpopular opinion time, may I just point out one thing here? From season 4 - season 9A, Nickelodeon made "Spongebob Squarepants" mostly WITHOUT Stephen Hillenburg's direct input, nobody bats an eye. Nickelodeon announces that they're going to make a "Spongebob Squarepants" prequel series without Stephen Hillenburg's direct approval, and EVERYBODY loses their MINDS!!!! o.o The show hasn't even AIRED yet, and everyone is already making a judgment about whether its good or not! :rolleyes: I seriously think we should just wait until it airs, before we can make an intelligent decision about the cartoon series, and whether its good or not! Enough said! :cool:

Hillenburg wasn't around during the production of S4-S9A yes, but what differentiates it from the current hot button issue is that he was still an executive producer during Tibbitt's time as a showrunner and Nick had mostly left the franchise in the hands of SB's creative team. Now, we're dealing with the higher ups of the company making their own additions towards their IP without any feedback or acquired approval from Hillenburg since he's longer with us and this is happening while it only has been a matter of months since he's gone.

I'm not making an early judgment about whether or not Kamp Koral is good. I was questioning about if I should continue to watch it after I catch my first real glimpse of it.

Also, just for the record, some people in the past have made an uproar over Hillenburg's absence during the series' post-movie era. I have the memories of the "nostalgia wars" during 2011 on SBC and tv.com to guarantee that.

I'll watch it as well when it airs just to see how it is. My main beef with the whole thing (and probably everyone else's) is that it's supposed to show how SpongeBob met all his friends at a summer camp, despite the fact the show already has an established continuity regarding that. People here were complaining about that when it was the plot of the 3rd movie. 

I said all I wanted about this spin-off but since then I thought about whole situation again.

And I've came to conclusion, that the main show, SpongeBob Squarepants that was going since 1999, maybe is finished for good. It's just speculation on my part. I have my own reasons and evidence to think how I think but there are little chances that things I'm saying are true.

1) Kamp Koral is spin-off "in-name" only. In reality this is poorly disguised reboot of SpongeBob. Fresh start for new viewers, so to speak. SpongeBob isn't really relevant with majority of Nick's main demographic - children. This show is too old and too long at this point. While this spin-off is prequel (so you basically don't have to know anything about SB to watch it) and in CGI, less costy and more "trendy" style of animation rather than traditional animation of the main show.

2) There's no need to continue making old and tired show with big baggage of stuff and restrictions over the years while you can now make spin-off, brand new show, that can be whatever Nickelodeon and Viacom themselves want.

3) This year is huge for SB, 20th anniversary after all. But so far there are no season 13 announcement. You'd think Nick announced it by now like they did with lots of other SB stuff. But instead we know that several post-sequel crew memebers left, Vincent Waller and Marc seem to be involved with Kamp Koral and the last thing we heard about s13 is that it's "in talks" way before announcement of spin-offs. Seems likely that Nick doesn't need s13 anymore. 

If show really will end after s12 to make a way for brand new spin-offs I am not sure how to feel about it. On one hand, I will be happy that SpongeBob, as creator-driven show, will be able to end on somewhat high note. On other hand, brand itself seems to be getting just worse and worse and post-sequel crew seem to be forced to do stuff they don't really want to do.

Bittersweet feelings all around.

Edited by Klu
Grammar
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, NegiSpongie said:

I'll watch it as well when it airs just to see how it is. My main beef with the whole thing (and probably everyone else's) is that it's supposed to show how SpongeBob met all his friends at a summer camp, despite the fact the show already has an established continuity regarding that. People here were complaining about that when it was the plot of the 3rd movie. 

Somehow I have this feeling the writers all know that that idea would be reconning the original series. I think that the movie would probably explain how SpongeBob became friends with Patrick but were clumsy with releasing plot information that made it look like the movie would be about meeting Sandy etc. Which would be idiotic. Everybody knows the first Sandy episode. It's on Nick's social media all the time and Tim Hill DEFINATELY was there to watch that one.

Edited by BeachBob95

6 hours ago, 4EverGreen said:

Thanks 4EverGreen. I knew I could count on you to quote the hottest memes.

• God Himself 2

18 hours ago, 4EverGreen said:

From season 4 - season 9A, Nickelodeon made "Spongebob Squarepants" mostly WITHOUT Stephen Hillenburg's direct input, nobody bats an eye.

the fuck

Edited by SpongeCob
  • Like 2

I’m avoided all of news about Wonderful Sponge/spin offs/whatever the hell Nickelodeon does right now most of the time.But after PieGuyLulz recent video(good video btw),and especially Paul Tibbitt’s twitter,I dive into all of current info that we have,and all I have to say is that...

F U C K    Y O U    N I C K E L O D E O N

Spongebob always been an universal mascot that people of all ages adored and so,a pinnacle of cash grab machine,so I always expected that Nick would go at any new direction with creating sickening product with him.However,it’s one thing to milk another milliard out of Sponge for owning another African country,the fact that for this step Nickelodeon waited til Hillenburg will die is beyond unforgivable for the god of shame.I’m never going to believe that  executives wanted to those spin offs begin to be an honor for Stephen or any other way to deliver respect to the person.Wonderful Sponge was it’s own hint for disaster when it’s announcement been actual,but at least it’s existence in someways been in production while creator been alive,but this trainwreck has no excuse at all.And ideas?Are you fucking kidding me?As 20 years of content showed,Spongebob should avoid of touching backstories all around if it doesn’t want to make some troubles with in...unfortunately,it want them...And I just can’t wait to see what genius ideas of other spin offs going to be.Can’t wait to see announcement of  Planter Puffy Fluffy,Sam show,Trenchbilles the show,and Olaf Adult Patty Cartoon.And honestly as much as it’s sounds like a joke,Nickelodeon can go farther than what I recall a second ago,my imagination isn’t large enough to tell even a half of what this company of fearless evil can create on its hands.

Begin said I once again want to say that I wish an compete bankruptcy for Nickelodeon for the rest of humanity’s history.No way all those trillion extra shows will honored death of creator of one of the purest pieces of cartoons characters that world seen as for day, the only positive thing that I found in announcement of spin offs is that there’s a chance of original show will ended after Season 12,because I really want to show end on a decent note(witch current season is as seems),and then I actually can forget about existence of other attempts of Nick catch a gold.But such an awful,morally wrong and just a dirty plan of company will be a dreadful cross the line.Who know,maybe sooner Nick will announce a crossover with another shows of them like Bunsen is a Beast or that Unikitty Knock off,because we all know how Hillenburg loved idea of Spongebob getting a crossover,right guys!!!!!!

pOM73rP.jpg

...eh,just curse you Nickelodeon once again...

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 4
  • Hug 1

so let me get this straight...

Nickelodeon will:

1. Have child stars be sexually exploited and do nothing about it

2. Will gladly re-hire employees after they've been sent to prison for 6 months/years

and

3. Wait for someone to die so that they can whore out their creations and milk it for every cent of money that comes out of it

This whole situation is making me sick to my stomach. No joke, these greedy, horrible scumbags legitimately disgust me and I honestly wish they would be punished already

Thank you Paul Tibbitt for confirming that Nick basically were just waiting for Steven to die just so they take his property and whore it out some more

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

https://variety.com/2019/film/festivals/nickelodeon-ramsey-naito-spongebobs-big-birthday-blowout-annecy-1203237788/

Some more talk regarding Kamp Koral from one of Nick's execs.:

“I think what’s great about ‘Kamp Koral’ is that it really provides a window into the wonder years. We all love Spongebob and the relationships he has with his friends and this will be where it all began. There are emotional pins which will resonate with fans,"...

“It’s a great opportunity for us, ... “Now the tech is at a place where we can make SpongeBob and replicate or reference the animation style we love from 2D in CG with extreme squash and stretch kind of animation, and also to take advantage of the tools CGI allows us to use like texture, lighting and so many other things. I think it’s going to be standout great.”

“The fans that love Spongebob identify with him and the love he has for his community and his friends,” ... “I think the world of Bikini Bottom is a reflection of what every person has in their own life, so we are looking at ways to celebrate Bikini Bottom and Spongebob himself. I think it’s our mandate to look at the Spongebob universe and talk about ways we can spin off authentically, while staying true to the core of what Steve created and what Spongebob represents for everybody.”

Thoughts?

I also just thought that I'd post this news since it's making it clear that Nick still has yet to address any concerns most people are having with their spin-off announcements.

Also, while I'm not completely accurate, this quote from the same article strongly implies that a S13 for the original series will happen:

The next twelve months will see a new season of the series, Paramount’s “The SpongeBob Movie: It’s a Wonderful Sponge” and just last week it was announced that a new spinoff series is in development at Nickelodeon titled “Kamp Koral.”