• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever! (20 Year Anniversary Edition!)

Sweat

No Free Rides: The best Boating School episode if you ask me. This high-energy episode works in about every way it can... Sorry, I don't have much else to say, it's just a great episode all-around. 10/10

Clams: While a good amount of other pre-movie episodes just aren't as funny to me anymore, this is one that just does not get old to me. That's probably because I'm not exposed to memes about it half the time like with other well-liked episodes, but this one stands as a really funny episode about the lengths Krabs would go to in order to get back a singular dollar. 10/10

Feral Friends:  This is one of my favorite episodes of the newer seasons with its amazing plot and funny Patchy segments.

Big Pink Loser: A classic episode with many funny Patrick moments and a great lesson.

Krabs à La Mode: It's not one of my favorites, but it's a fun episode to watch.

Roller Cowards: A really great episode with many funny moments from SpongeBob and Patrick.

No Free Rides: This one might be my favorite Boating School episode with its many funny moments between Mrs. Puff and SpongeBob.

Clams: I find this one pretty underrated. While I didn't know it had memes based on it, I just like the Jaws shout outs and Mr. Krabs increasing insanity throughout the episode. 

• Like 1

No Free Rides - Interesting episode. "And now back to KRUD with all of your personal 'YOU WON'T GET AWAY WITH STEALING MY CAR!' hits!" The episode is one of the best boating school oriented episodes, and has many funny gags/moments with Mrs. Puff and SpongeBob. I love it, but it's not on my top list.

Clams - All I think about when this episode comes on is "Number 2 Semigloss Lipstick" and it had plenty of fun gags and scenes. This might make it on my top list next time. It is truly underrated.

Krabs a la Mode: Great episode, not on my top 50 but still in top 125 at least (probably farther in but I dont feel like actually checking where) 

Roller Cowards: Amazing episode that should of ROSE instead of fallen smh. I had this on my list at #14 and maybe it should of been higher in hindsight. Its hilarious, relatable, and has an awesome atmosphere, plot, and characters.

No Free Rides: Great and very funny but not top 100 imo. 

Clams: This is top 150 but not 100 imo. Still a great and hilarious episode.

32. "I'm ready for the longest, coldest winter ever!"
P5Gjc7s.png
Survival of the Idiots, 121
8 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank #3 @almy) (+3)

Here, we have another list regular. This is yet another with no real prevailing trend, but rather one that just hopped around on the list. It was at its lowest in 2013 at #48, its peak in 2015 at #16, and here, we have it somewhere in the middle. A lot of the time, generally loved episodes in the SpongeBob canon do have a layer of emotions to make it even more enjoyable, even if the episode has a lot of comedy to it.This is a prime piece of SpongeBob abandoning any real sentimentality and just going full-on slapstick. It's and endlessly quotable sequence of completely off-the-walls brainless fun, and at times, genuinely thrilling.

31. "Pardon me, ugly sponge coming through."
icTIoLP.png
Something Smells, 124 points
10 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank #4 @Patty Rose) (+8)

At this point, it's pretty clear that as the list climbs upward, a lot of these episodes are becoming well-established as regular appearances on the top 50, a more established "canon" if you will. Something Smells is yet another example of a regular with no real trend, never going higher than #18 or lower than #39... both of those positions having been consecutive. This episode had a good share of new submissions showing appreciation for the episode, and for good reason. This is a great example of how pre-movie can effortlessly combine total hilarity as well as a sense of real sympathy for SpongeBob's struggle that a lot of viewers can probably relate to. It's almost like a "body positivity" episode from a more wholesome show, but completely twisted to make it funnier while still retaining its message. Anyway, that's the 40-31 stretch of the list over with!

• Like 4
  • Happy 2

I'm honestly surprised at Survival of the Idiots rising this year and it's #32 on the list. I forgot its placement last year so yeah. This episode is just awesome. It hits every beat with its jokes and action sequences. Sandy as a giant sleepwalker monster is something I never thought it'd be so hilarious to see. I love SpongeBob and Patrick's dynamic here, it's pure hilarity. I wish it was way higher because this episode is top 10 worthy for me.

Something Smells isn't one of my favorite episodes but I can see its placement. That being said, this episode still rules with tons of good jokes and a premise that should have been disgusting but ended up being very enjoyable.

Survival of the Idiots is a really funny episode. One of my favorites from Season 2 and it made my list.

I loved the ugly barnacle story in Something Smells but that sundae was kind of gross and the rest of the episode just revolves around SpongeBob having bad breath and the Bikini Bottomites thinking it smells horrible. To me it was just an average episode.

30. "No matter how much I may beg, and plead, and cry, don't give that paper back to me ever."
uuz4Feb.png
The Paper, 127 points
11 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank 2 #1's @SI-LLY @sbl) (NEW)

And here it is, guys! The very last absolute debut on the list, having not appeared even in Honorable Mentions in 2018, making it the biggest absolute debut by a pretty big margin. The episode had a weird history, showing up in both 2015 and 2016, falling off the list completely last year, and jumping back in higher than ever. It also represents the insane turnout for the list, as this is the first instance an episode has ended up in bottom half of the list despite having multiple #1's. Yeah, this is an anomaly for the ages. I can see why the love for the episode shot up, during a season 1 binge I did ages ago, it became one of my favorites. It's almost like an exercise done by the writers in how interesting they can make an episode out of such a mundane concept, and they succeed with flying colors. It's one of the funniest episodes of season 1, and a worthwhile watch.

29. "Whoa-ho, Mr. Krabs. I didn't know your had heat vision."
csfGkaU.png
Imitation Krabs, 136 points
10 out of 44 points (Highest Rank #2 @PEPSI✭MAN) (-9)

A rather unfortunate drop, innit? Outside of an outlier position at #47 in 2013, Imitation Krabs hovered right below the top 20 since 2015 until it finally hit the top 20 last year. Sadly, this year, it dropped at its lowest position since 2013. It's also the first drop in a while on the list. The fact that it's still in the top 30 is a good thing though, because this is a great episode. All 3 main characters are at their funniest here. It's a bit of a shame that it's been overshadowed by its sister episode. Y'all probably know what I mean.

• Like 5
  • Happy 1

The Paper was never one of my favorites butI really appreciate how this episode took such a simplistic concept into a really funny one. It's very impressive to think of that you can do literally anything with one small concept and shockingly this is what the episode is about as well. So it's good to see this episode on the list.

Imitation Krabs ended up being on my list because it's an episode that hits jokes after jokes and it uses Plankton as such a hilarious villain and his dynamic with SpongeBob is very charming and fun. I'm sad it dropped as hell this year but top 30 is still very good.

Survival of the Idiots - I'd like to inform you all that, I, sbl, am Dirty Dan. This episode is great. SpongeBob and Patrick's misadventures with a hibernating Sandy crack me up everytime I see it. It's not on my best list, but great nonetheless.

Something Smells - It's not bad. I enjoyed it. Tons of great jokes all revolving around SpongeBob and his smelly breath. Not on my top, but great!

The Paper - This episode is my all time favourite just because...it's so simple and out of the ordinary. They're literally revolving the episode around a bubblegum wrapper. Squidward needs to obviously boost his ego and have more fun with an inanimate object that's not even a real toy than SpongeBob, but ultimately fails, because of Squidward's greed, arrogance and constant attempts just to get the paper so he can rule over SpongeBob. Squidward also lacks the creativity that SpongeBob's little yellow brain. To sum it up, this episode holds a special place with me, because it's so great. Such a mundane concept for an episode can actually sometimes be superior and better than having an episode with such an imaginative concept that fails to live to expectations.

Imitation Krabs - I actually really love this episode. I have no idea why it's not on my top list. Plankton becoming a Mr. Krabs robot is such a great idea for an episode, and I'm glad this idea was conceived pre-both movies because they nailed it. Most likely will be on my top list next time.

I don't like the ending to The Paper. I thought it was too mean towards Squidward. The rest of the episode was also kind of dull in my opinion. I can see why others may like it, but I just don't care for it.

Imitation Krabs is a great episode and by far the best Plankton disguise episode, but it's not one of my all-time favorites.

Survival of the Idiots: Great episode, very funny and atmospheric.

Something Smells: Another great hilarious episode

The Paper: Oh wow, this made it on. It’s a great episode but not to the extent of the previous two. It’s funny.

Imitation Krabs: Great and hilarious episode again. I had the feeling this would drop to low 20s too :funny: