• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever! (20 Years Edition)

OWM

Waiting: Missed my worst list this year but still bad. This episode can be basically summed up as "Spongebob is an Out of Character Bitch: The Episode". The only saving grace for this episode is that it's only 7 minutes, because had it been a full-length episode then it surely would've at least gotten closer to making my list. Also, why did Spongebob's crying have to get annoying a good amount of the time in Season 5? Like, while it doesn't get as bad as A Day Without Tears's opening, it's still a fair bit annoying throughout Season 5, and this episode is no exception (hell, Spongebob and Patrick cry over a toy they think is broken)... but that's off topic. Anyways, this episode is just... not good. 3/10

House Sittin' for Sandy: Woof
Also, damn, this is the first year this episode got on? That's 6 or so years too many without it getting on. 1/10

Waiting is rather mediocre for me. I definitely hate that SpongeBob is a piece of garbage to his friends and the whole crying part was so dumb but I do like the fork joke and Squidward's addition to the episode. Still I do think this episode deserves the spot on this list.

Lol House Sitting for Sandy sadly missed my list but it doesn't change that this episode is completely lifeless. I can be a season 8 apologist but this episode is a complete boredom with little to no comedy and the plot is repetitive and the conclusion is such a slap in the face that makes the entire episode more pointless than It already is. What a waste of time.

Waiting: I had this on my list last year, but in hindsight that was too far. This episode is boring and bad but its only 7 minutes, not 11. However, it’s still bottom 50.

House Sittin for Sandy: Another boring episode. This is one of the most boring episodes even, but it escapes my list for sure  because I like the ending, The twist of Sandy wanting them to destroy the house so she could test out the gun, the house and the gun getting destroyed, and it looking like sandy would shoot them was funny. However everything else of the episode sucks, so it’s still bottom 50.

Spoiler

50. :thinkegg:

49. :thinkegg:

48. :thinkegg:

47. :thinkegg:

46. Waiting (#46)

45. The Googly Artiste (#46)

44. :thinkegg:

43. :thinkegg:

42. The Fish Bowl (#50)

41. The Play’s The Thing (#44)

40. :thinkegg:

39. :thinkegg:

38. :thinkegg:

37. House Sittin for Sandy (#35)

36. :thinkegg:

35. :thinkegg:

34. :thinkegg:

33. :thinkegg:

32. :thinkegg:

31. :thinkegg:

30. :thinkegg:

29. :thinkegg:

28. :lennythink:

27. :thinkegg:

26. :thinkegg:

25. You Don’t Know Sponge (#45)

24. :thinkegg:

23. :thinkegg:

22. :thinkegg:

21. Face Freeze (#40)

20. :thinkegg:

19. :thinkegg:

18. :thinkegg:

17. :thinkegg:

16. :thinkegg:

15. :thinkegg:

14. :thinkegg:

13. Cephalopod Lodge (#39)

12. Shuffleboarding (#37)

11. :thinkegg:

10. :thinkegg:

9. :thinkegg:

8. :thinkegg:

7. :thinkegg:

6. :thinkegg:

5. :thinkegg:

4. :thinkegg:

3. :lennythink:

2. :thinkegg:

1. :thinkegg:

4/25 9/50

All That Glitters isn't close to bottom 50 for me. It's one of the worst season 4 episodes but it's far from being as bad as some stuff afterwards.

Shuffleboarding sucks, not enough to make the list though and I do like a couple scenes.

Waiting is bad but House Sittin is basically a worse version of it. Waiting is at least 7 mins of nothing while House Sittin is 11 mins with even less value.

Spoiler

14. The Card (#41)
16. Squidward's School for Grown ups (#47)
17. House Sittin' for Sandy (#35)
20. You Don't Know Sponge (#45)
21. Gone (#48)

• Like 1

Waiting

As much i hated this despite this is SB short compared to 11-min episode length. I still thinks this is awful.

House Sittin

Honestly,  I legit forgot this existed, but it may be due to how I never saw it again? or this is aired premiere here in Canada. i don't know....the fact  it can be very hard for me to remember what even happened in this episode. All I remember is SB & Patrick watching Sandy's stuff while she's gone, and this ending make me feel comfused. Yeahhhh I don't think this is 1st time this made to this list. I can see why some of users hate it because how lazy it was.

Overall, it's just an another forgettable episode to me.

did i put waiting on my list this year? i don't remember but this is like the so bad it's good episode for me. it's like wow, they really did crap out an episode about absolutely nothing

• Wow 1

I can't BELIEVE that I forgot about "Waiting" this year! o.o If I had remembered about that episode segment, it would've made my list at #22 instead of the episode segment I did pick for it! :hysterical: That episode segment is only 7 minutes, and yet, it STILL feels like it is FIVE minutes too long! :rolleyes: They should've expanded on the plot for "Rise And Shine" INSTEAD of "Waiting". "House Sitting For Sandy" is just FORGETTABLE at best in my honest opinion. No spoilers on any future episodes that might appear on my list, you'll see it soon enough. Enough said, true believers! :cool:

• God Himself 1

Waiting and House Sittin' for Sandy were both nigh unwatchable but Sittin' edges out Waiting because it's an entire 11 minute episode. Like seriously, these episodes are as sterile as piss. No Spongebob episode has the right to be this boring and mind-numbing (in the bad sense at least), but I guess that's an inevitability when the show's been running for this long and the writers' ideas are this stretched out.

Face Freeze. This episode is pure garbage without any substance besides grotesque looking faces, which aren't funny at all. Some people are saying that Face Freeze is similar to current direction of the show, but lemme tell you... You are wrong then. Because in wackiest of episodes, post-sequel still had much more substance than this episode. What aren't faces is boring and uninspired rip-off of Hooky. Not much to say about it.

Cephalapod Lodge.  This episode is really frustrating, it contains both one of the worst and unnecessary endings in the entire show and one of the biggest wasted potentials. Secret cult of cephalapods sounds like awesome idea, but it's executed really poorly in more ways than one. The saddest thing is, that IF episode didn't had this garbage ending, it would've been at least just mediocre. But as it is, it's just not good at all.

All that glitters. This episode is easily the worst of s4, but overall, it doesn't deserve being on the list. It's not good, but at least it has great animation and that SpongeBob feel. 

Shuffleboarding. Dumb and frustrating episode to watch. It has few amusing scenes, i will give it that, but it's still not good at all. It's just poor men's version of Hall Monitor, but at least Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy got few funny lines.

Waiting. It's boring and lame. It doesn't offend me too much, but I have no problem with it being on the list.

House Sitting is such bland, empty and uninspired episode. It honestly works like metaphor on season 8 as whole. It's bland, empty and uninspired. Pure waste of 11 minutes. I'd be glad if this ep was higher on the list, but oh well.

God I need to try and catch up with this topic way more.

Face Freeze:: Very dumb, ugly episode, but surprisingly kind of tolerable compared to other stinkers in Season 8. I forget like half of it besides the faces.

Cephalopod Lodge: This is an episode I can enjoy for being stupidly entertained while pissing me off at the same time.

All That Glitters: this episode is supposed to be an abstract piece with a phrase that has a deeper meaning to what’s happening in the episode none of us besides 4evergreen are smart enough to understand it 

Shuffleboarding: this episode is very stupid, and I understand the hate for it, but I just can’t bring myself to do the same. Love this one 

Waiting: I always liked “SpongeBob Awaits His Meatball” better

House Sittin’ For Sandy: z

Edited by President Squidward
  • God Himself 1

34. "Welcome to Atlantis. I've been expecting you."

1668862113_34.AtlantisSquarePantis.jpg.78035f97e29df41abde6c2cd62d185ea.jpg

Atlantis SquarePantis, 136 points

9 out of 41 lists (Highest Rank #4 @4EverGreen) (+2)

4EverGreen: Man, I cannot BELIEVE we're already at the point where some of the episodes that I picked for commentary are appearing on this list. In any case, "Atlantis Squarepantis" is probably the PERFECT example of an over-hyped "Spongebob Squarepants" special, that doesn't have the plot or necessary special traits to back up its status of being over 30 minutes. Either, the special should've been UNDER 30 minutes, and cut out all the unnecessary filler, or they should've gone with some STRONGER ideas for the special, like getting David Bowie to ACTUALLY sing! And the songs that DO get sung in this special, aren't even THAT memorable! Not to mention that none of the ideas presented within this special even WORK even WITHIN the context of this special, save for Sandy's 16 bit video game adventure. If they REALLY wanted to make a special, they should've gone with a WHOLE episode of Sandy's 16 bit video game adventure, rather than this sad excuse of a special we DID get! Enough said, true believers! 

Slug: Atlantis is one of those episodes where it is somewhat of an anomaly to review. It's a very long episode, so surely there has to be tons of things to review and talk about, right? Well, wrong. Despite its length, Atlantis has zero substance in it, and while tos is an abysmal episode for a variety of reasons, Atlantis' problems are more simple. I mean you actually had the potential for a good storyline here, but what ends up happening is so lame, there isn't even a conflict until they pop the bubble at the very end of the episode. If you think Waiting doing nothing for 7 minutes was bad, how about basically nothing for 44 minutes? I mean if you love characters singing about their interests then maybe there's something here for you? The whole point of a musical is that the songs should carry the plot in some way, but every single one of these songs carries the same purpose and it's very tedious. It doesn't help that none of them are well-written. They do try some different animation styles but all of them are highly bland, including the videogame sequence which I found quite disappointing. I know some people don't mind this episode but I find it to be a complete waste of time. It's just a worthless 44 minutes that makes me feel like I was robbed. For me if an episode does nothing entertaining for 40+ minutes then it deserves a spot in my bottom 5.

33. "Tell it to your mama, Squidward!"

854708522_33.Sportz.jpg.fce8121fe5ee1d45e32eee336e305ab8.jpg

Sportz?, 136 points

11 out of 41 lists (Highest Rank 2 #1's @PEPSI✭MAN @kylie✨) (-3)

SOF: So, you may recall my reasoning why i liked it from last year....well, i decided to make a guest commentary for this cause why not? Now you may be confused, why SOF still likes it....let me explain I still liked Sportz because it has some things that made laugh here. Sure, Squidward acts jerkish to SB & Patrick for not knowing how sports works...but here's a thing: it makes sense that SB & Patrick being clueless on how this equipment works, and what does it do things works for them. Obviously, Squidward plays the role as bad teacher as it proves how it should be showing them how to play. Sandy came near the end is reasonable because she WAS looking her sports stuff which is why it necessary to me. She knows Squidward behind the scheme on unfair rules which it doesn't seems right to Sandy. As she challenged Squidward to see how good he is, and you know what? She beats him in smart way. This is why i still liked it so much it's not because the plot worked, Hell, I even rewatched this before doing this commentary to understand why's good IMO. I can understand why people hated it. is it b/c of lead in to Kids Choice Sports Awards? Maybe. Honestly, i would personally put this best episode imo. But yeah, this episode is good for me.

Overall, I think this is one of best episode in s10 IMHO.

WhoBob: I still find myself disappointed by how much Sportz could have been an actual fun episode. Think about it, the entire episode based on characters doing every single sport activities, doesn't that sound awesome? Well, too bad because what we have gotten was an episode about...SpongeBob and Patrick hurting each other in a very painful and unfunny way. I got why they wanted to go with this direction. It was a classic case of SpongeBob and Patrick doing something that Squidward gets annoyed of and he wants to use it in his advantage. After all, some episodes like Idiot Box and Snowball Effect didn't have that much action but unlike thoese two episodes, Sportz didn't do anything creative with its jokes. It was all repetitive SpongeBob and Patrick hurting each other and Squidward watching it in his own amusement. It made Squidward a total dickhead and yeah, the episode acknowledged it but I just didn't give a crap about the conflict when SpongeBob and Patrick were total buffoons. They were so happy, even when their bones were kept broken and that was literally the only joke they played with this episode that I actually recall. I could also complain that how in the hell our main characters didn't know what sport means when they played sports in the fucking The Fry Cook Gmaes. I can live with some minor contiunity issues but this was just dumb and it showed our main characters were dumb. It didn't help when Sandy arrived to kick Squidward's ass and again, this would have been satisfying If Sandy didn't arrive to be such a deus ex machina to the conflict. I also hated that she was sidelined in a story where all of her sports junk was sent to SpongeBob and Patrick only to appear at the very end. You know how this episode could have been actually entertaining? Maybe have Squidward manipulate Patrick into having a competition with SpongeBob and Sandy or SpongeBob and Patrick versus Squidward and Sandy or Squidward trying to have amusement of SpongeBob and Patrick injuring each other, except they don't injure each other and they actually have a safe fun. Just give me a conflict that would be actually fun and exciting. We could have had some really clever jokes along the way. This episode could have been something. Instead, it was all nothing. It hurts how much this episode ended up being one of the most lifeless episodes of this show and that's why it's on my list. It was not even an actual horrific episode to me but it was so painfully boring and tedious that I'm happy to see it on this list.

Prez:  *This is actually my first time sitting through this episode in full. Since it's release, I've seen some of the bad shit I'd have to witness in full one day, from pictures, transcripts and clips alone, but, the day has finally come. Is Sportz? really worthy to be as high as it is on my worst list, just because there's aspects I heard that I knew I was probably going to hate anyway. I shouldn't be unfair...

So Sportz starts off very lazily to get the plot going, showing SpongeBob taking out the garbage with Patrick inside (and to also remind you for the million time on how cool and creative our visual animation and expressions can be, we got mr BOB JACQUES as our animator!! We don't need to worry about the writing part! we get it, you're gorgeous), and then we spend a minute and a half of them finding out what's in Sandy's mail package of sport gear and trying to figure out what the fuck it's useful for (just the usual stupidity to give it some "jokes" to cut some time off), and once that scene is over, we transition to...

shot of Squidward's house

O FORTUNA PLAYS*

Oh boy. A Squidward-centric episode. In a goofy, wacky era of the series... and in a season I mostly haven't seen and heard amplifies what 9B's style was getting at. Nothing can go wrong! So far, not bad though. A little over the top anger just from hearing SpongeBob and Patrick's shenanigans, but he's had to deal with shit writing for the past decade. Rodger's performance is actually nice, just for the wrong reasons. His yelling and voice could do wonders with this if it weren't used for insanity. When explaining what sports is to two dunderheads when one of them shouldn't be this brainless (there's a difference between being stupid, and being naïve. This is just ooc SpongeBob that screams Post-Movie), we get the angel/devil joke that a lot of animation media has, now we know why Squidward is so mental now, he lets his demons do all the talking! I worry this is where all hell breaks loose from here on out in the episode...

...and it kind of does. From the get go, the rest of the episode is Squidward causing SpongeBob and Patrick to harm themselves badly in a cartoonish manner while he laughs (and with some of the laughter he makes, jesus christ...), it feels very, very sadistic. It's uncomfortable as a Squidward fan to even stomach. This is not something Squidward would ever do, this is not Squidward at all, actually... so from now on in this annoying commentary, I'm gonna call him Ren Hoek. That's what he's acting like, a sadistic, psycho, ugly asshole (with some unappealing facial expressions here and there. GOTTA SHOW OFF HOW CARTOONY WE ARE, DON'T WE BOB XDDDD). Besides the disgust I get from watching Ren hurt moronic SpongeBob and Patrick, it's just very unfunny and boring. There's "jokes" (like the sports fan joke and a pun or two), but they're not funny or clever. Most of the humor this episode, and like most of this era, focuses on how cartoony and over the top the slapstick is, and I don't hate slapstick either. Slapstick can definitely fuckin work, I'd use it for my own creations, but you need to do more than just slapstick x100. You need that variety besides showing off the way you do slapstick then focus on nothing else.

So then, the best character comes in. Sandy comes across what Ren is doing, and I wasn't expecting to root for her too much until she spits out a truth bomb that ACCURATELY fits Ren (I mean Squidward) as a character for most of this fucking era: "That's pretty low, Squidward. Even for YOU!" THANK YOU SO MUCH. THAT'S WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR. The drawback to this would be they made Ren do a thing that's extremely over the top and cruel for his character's standards, just so they can teach him a lesson to not be out of character, and give him a taste of his own medicine. Though, this is Ren we're talking about, not Squidward, so I'm allowing it. I'M ROOTING FOR YA SANDY. so the rest of the episode is Sandy giving Ren WAAAACKY CREATIVE SLAPSTICK. It's a little bit over the top, but I don't fucking care this one time. I really don't. And bam, she saves SpongeBob and Patrick from not thinking logically and stopping because of Ren's mental games. And REN is a winner too omg!!!!!!!!, and combust in an unappealing manner. But hey, he deserves it... like a lot, since it isn't like him.

My problem is though, is this really what the writer wants to do with the character a lot now? Make him act agitated and then make him do things he would never do, just so he can get karma when you've been given him karma in general for years? It's very done to death, and it's why I do my own stuff with Squidward. You can give him more fun things to do, but you just stoop him down to a lower level and make him very one note with the negative traits he has. You can really work wonders with his traits but giving him a dash of humor and make him more likeable again. Look, I know I like Pineapple Fever, and it's one of those episodes where Squidward gets karma and going insane with having to stay in a storm with SpongeBob and Patrick, but at least for me, the stupidity it had, was actually entertaining... but that's one of the few times it actually was for me. They've done this shit many times, and most of the time it's just so boring and frustrating to watch. THIS is definitely on of them. Gorgeous, fluid animation wasted just to make this show Ren and Stimpy underwater. Any of SpongeBob's, charm, wit, and originality, thrown all away just to make the world and it's characters wacky, with barely any ground to keep it from being unique or actually entertaining. I used to be called crazy for thinking this stuff when it first happened, but now it seems we have fans divided or noticing this issue with this era (even people who do enjoy it way more than I do), I think it's time for a change of style again. Make SpongeBob have the awesome animation it has, but make all the characters (ESPECIALLY THE ONE I LIVE FOR RELIGIOUSLY) likeable and funny again. This show's so obsessed with something it rarely was, and is pushing away any other creative form of humor it once used, and I wouldn't complain about an era I do like a tiny bit SO MUCH.

So, join me, fellow SpongeBob fans, and together, we can stop this lowbrow nonsense from oversaturating this show's potential it STILL has to have... or at least kill Devil Squidward since he SUCKS And to think this is the same guy who would write a Post-Sequel ep I do like (Squid Noir, even though that ep still has a lot of flaws)... what the fuck...

• Like 4
  • Happy 2
  • Wow 3

I don't even hate Atlantis. I find it to be okay at best but I can see it being on the list. It's an episode that completely wasted potential because Nick had to meddle with making the episode a special.

>Second favorite episode of the series Atlantis Squarepantis is hated

>Notices Atlantis hate seems to be declining 

>Thinks it will drop a lot on the list or even fall all the way down to HMs because it doesn't seem that many people hate it so much for bottom 25 anymore 

>Atlantis goes up 2 spots anyway

0brRxfh.png

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Happy 1
  • Sad 2
  • Funny 1
  • Wow 2

anyways uh

Atlantis: Undeserving. I honestly don't hate this episode very much, and barring a few slip-ups (like two of the songs and not exploring its concept to the fullest), I can't find much to hate here. The Patchy segments are like so bad they're good to me, there's just something about how nonsensical they are that I find amusing. But anyways... 6/10

Sportz?: Bad but not deserving as well. I wouldn't call this episode awful per se but there are more than a few things I don't like here. Squidward. for example, is out of character and the episode feels like it was rushed in production (leading to iffy animation and dumb writing). But, at the same time, I find that there are bigger fish to fry in the long run (and in the same season as well, looking at you Patrick's Coupon), so... yeah. Overall, a flawed episode but nothing worth hating to hell and back. 4/10

atlantis is just mediocre for me. not really deserves being here, in my opinion, there's bigger fish to fry.

sportz i can understand the hate, but i can't share it. it's bad, but does nothing outstandingly awful for me to be one of the worst in the series. at least it has quality animation and one decent joke, while some other episodes in this series can't offer even than. 

• Like 1

Atlantis: Would've been so much better without most of the songs and some Patchy bits as just a 22 minute episode, has some enjoyable things here and there but a more than understandable slogfest that ends up here.

Sportz: ayylmao

• Like 1

Atlantis Squarepantis

Though, I coould say how this TV Movie is basically like Willy Wonka-esque pardy of this, but this hour-long special felt nothing. Hell, even David Bowie never gets to sing despite this turns into musicial-ish. But yeah this is just awful to me.