• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever! (20 Years Edition)

OWM

Face Freeze

it's stil bad, though i can only say how gross out attempt is...weird. Yeah i can see @Coffee_lover point it out om Gravity Falls, but i don't se any different between this? I don't know, I still thinks it's bad because SB & Patrick could learn their mistake which is not what i expected by the ending...ugh Overall, it's not grerat, but it's bad.

Cephalopod Lodge

Okay, remember the 1st time i sumbit the list back then? Well, that was honestly my fault for putting #1 because maybe i was bit frustrating how annoying SB & Patriock it was? Maybe i didn't realize i should explain why's this hight in first place....but as the list comes around each 2 years, and this one is only exception. However, i can still say how bad it was. it's only because  SB & Patrick for not helong getting Squidward back to secret club, and the ending as well. it just...pissed me off when they just reveal themselve which Squidward wanted to save them only to end with stupid ending. Honestly, i would go on and on how bad it was, but i don't want to put this high as i put it in 1st time sumbitting it . Eventually, i end it up NOT putting this ep on last year's list because there are other episodes that is worse than this.

But yeah, all i can say is it's just medicore IMO.

Face freeze is a trainwreck, because of what I think is the result of a low-budget season with some underdeveloped episodes like this one.

Cephealopod Lodge I think is very funny, although the jellyfish initiation felt unneeded and the ending would be better if SpongeBob and Patrick got themselves busted, and then Squidward would have their back and speech about his true friends having tried everything to cheer him up, before all being banned from the lodge again. But oh well, it's season 6, but among the better ones.

38. "How can I go back to work without... without Spat?!"

1741014445_38.AllThatGlitters.jpg.54c7bd664efecb24fb004e18730be086.jpg

All That Glitters, 113 points

13 out of 41 lists (Highest Rank #4 @Wumbo) (-16)

Dman: All That Glitters is one of those episodes that I used to not get the hate for. I only remembered it as “that episode where SpongeBob breaks his spatula and stuff happens”. Upon rewatch I found that I was wrong, as there is no “stuff” that happens. Nothing happens in this episode, or at least nothing of value. The episode begins with SpongeBob accidentally breaking his spatula in two while trying to serve an oversized patty, and then we have the pleasure of seeing him screaming and crying for 45 seconds straight. Two things to say right now: One, SpongeBob’s crying here is the most annoying it’s ever been, only being beaten out by A Day Without Tears, and Two, too many jokes in this episode go on for way longer than they need be. Examples include SpongeBob’s crying as I mentioned, an overly long montage sequence of SpongeBob reminiscing the good times with Spat that could’ve been done in a few seconds, and a few more that I’ll mention when I get there. As SpongeBob leaves Spat at the hospital, still heartbroken, he immediately gets sidetracked by a fancier looking spatula that he can’t purchase. Guess what? We spend another good deal of time watching SpongeBob give up everything he has to please the salesman fish (at one point they use the exact same voicelines four times in a row!), and the deal is only made after he sells his clothes. While SpongeBob walks back to work, we get the beautiful image of a grandma... “staring” at him as he walks by. I think it’s supposed to be funny, but it isn’t.

We spend another chunk of time at the Krusty Krab to give praise to the god that is Le Spatula himself, only for him to refuse to make a single Krabby Patty, insult SpongeBob, and run off. Huh, some god. It is at this moment that SpongeBob realized he fucked up. He abandoned his fast food companion for an asshole. He has nothing now. His only shot at something is Spat. He finds Spat at the hospital, but he isn’t really forgiving, and I wouldn’t blame him for this except for the fact that Spat knows nothing about the events in the episode. How did he know SpongeBob betrayed him? How could he feel bitterness towards SpongeBob for something he was unaware of? I don’t know... eventually Spat forgives SpongeBob, and we end as we started, meaning another monster-size patty is served, but this time SpongeBob breaks into pieces, and that's it. Though the worst of the repetitive episodes came in around season 6, this is a really bad example right in the middle of season 4. Even if you discount the repetition, the episode itself contains almost no jokes, has a moral that is botched as I don’t even know who’s in the right, and is a complete snore-fest. Just the fact that I couldn't remember any parts of this episode outside of the basics is a testament to how bland it is. Season 4 has a lot of middle-of-the-road episodes, but this is not one of them and I’m frankly ashamed that I used to loop in this garbage on the same echelon as all of the other ones.

37. "If we're not going to go around town pretending to be Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, then who is?!"

1020387404_37.Shuffleboarding.jpg.d4201f132dfd559eef4e8065a7d78eec.jpg

Shuffleboarding, 114 points

11 out of 41 lists (Highest Rank #9 @CakeCup) (-8)

OWM: oops i forgot to ask more people for commentary to do this one so nobody submitted anything. But seriously, this episode is the most jittery thing ever. There are no important plot developments at all in the first half. Aside from Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy getting injured it's all just annoying banter and screaming from Patrick and SpongeBob who keep repeating themselves or some reason. And of course there's no actual shuffleboarding tournament shown but that's more of a nitpick than anything. The second half then turns into a completely bizarre and confusing storyline that makes no sense at all. The reasons for jailing people range from a little goofy, up to forced and awkward, and then just plain mean by the time Man Ray shows up. Weird how this episode had time for a full laundromat fight scene but no time to structure something funny at all. I shouldn't have to mention the ending either, which is notorious for being one of the series' worst. This somehow escaped my list but if it made it back on another day I wouldn't be surprised.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 2

Face Freeze: Complete nothingness, would hate it but season 8 is so dull that I can't

Words cannot articulate how disappointed I am that Lodge has been dropping each year, despite having the second worst ending of the show. It's not just that it gets ruined, it's that Sb and Pat have literally no reason to take the sock off besides having an ending which leads to Squid's misery. Easily made mine.

ATG I dropped so I shouldnt complain much but only barely, it is still as irritating today  as it was before as it just...fails. Nothing stands out besides it just flat out sucking as some weird attempt at serious melodrama.

Shuffleboarding was another one of my cuts this year so this seems like a fair spot. Again it's just really dumb and not as irritating as others anymore, but still deserves to be brought up as not only was the fakeout weak but the replacement plot too as they just get into this random laundry fight (which was actually alright) but only after they become pricks to the town for the sake of the plot.

lol both All That Glitters and Shuffleboarding made my list.

ATG is 11 minute of SpongeBob crying and naked SpongeBob mix and none of it is funny or interesting. The whole plot tries to hard to be emotional or idk tries to be a soap opera parody but none of it works. The jokes are almost nonexistent, Le Spatula is a jerk to make SpongeBob feel awful and the conflict was resolved so awkwardly. I can't stand this annoying piece of garbage at all.

Shuffleboarding is an episode that makes SpongeBob and Patrick painfully unlikeable. I don't care if the entire episode isn't Shuffleboarding. Our characters pretending to be MM&BB is actually not a bad concept, even if it was already a joke in previous MM&BB episodes but the fact that they arrest people for crimes they didn't commit (Civil War II comic intensifies) and make the town believe it was the actual MM&BB that they chased them down instead of our actual characters that caused the trouble. I hate everything about it. Not even the laundry sequence can save it from my bottom 25. It's still that awful.

All That Glitters: Gonna be honest, I don't agree with this being on the list. Getting things out of the way, I can't hate this episode. It's just too funny to me, and while some of the crying is grating (especially in the last scene), several other scenes in this episode keep it from being bad in my opinion. Past that, however, there are far bigger fish to fry. Even when I disliked this episode, I didn't find it entirely that bad, and it barely came close to doing anything as bad as what a few later episodes (even during this season) did. But, to each their own. 7/10

Shuffleboarding: An utterly aimless episode, I wouldn't say this episode's biggest problem is that it leads everyone on to believing it's about Shuffleboarding when it isn't (and that's bad enough as is) because if that were the plot, this episode would still suck. There's little to say about this one because the first half is yet another "Spongebob and Patrick fuck around and be dumbasses" plot and the second half is... oh, who am I kidding, that's the entire episode. While I don't despise this episode, it's another example of why Season 6 failed so hard a lot of the time. 3/10

• Like 1

All That Glitters: Glad this fell lower. This episode is neither bad nor good, its just fine.

Shuffleboarding: Very bad episode that made my list. It’s just Spongebob and Patrick arresting people for stupid reasons, which never succeds in being funny, and the episode is boring too. And I never liked that the real Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy got comuppance instead of Spongebob and Patrick themselves.

Also, I thought this episode was gonna rise, not fall ?

Spoiler

50. :thinkegg:

49. :thinkegg:

48. :thinkegg:

47. :thinkegg:

46. :thinkegg:

45. The Googly Artiste (#46)

44. :thinkegg:

43. :thinkegg:

42. The Fish Bowl (#50)

41. The Play’s The Thing (#44)

40. :thinkegg:

39. :thinkegg:

38. :thinkegg:

37. :thinkegg:

36. :thinkegg:

35. :thinkegg:

34. :thinkegg:

33. :thinkegg:

32. :thinkegg:

31. :thinkegg:

30. :thinkegg:

29. :thinkegg:

28. :lennythink:

27. :thinkegg:

26. :thinkegg:

25. You Don’t Know Sponge (#45)

24. :thinkegg:

23. :thinkegg:

22. :thinkegg:

21. Face Freeze (#40)

20. :thinkegg:

19. :thinkegg:

18. :thinkegg:

17. :thinkegg:

16. :thinkegg:

15. :thinkegg:

14. :thinkegg:

13. Cephalopod Lodge (#39)

12. Shuffleboarding (#37)

11. :thinkegg:

10. :thinkegg:

9. :thinkegg:

8. :thinkegg:

7. :thinkegg:

6. :thinkegg:

5. :thinkegg:

4. :thinkegg:

3. :lennythink:

2. :thinkegg:

1. :thinkegg:

4/25 7/50

All that Glitters

Meh, I've seen worse than that, but beside the SB crying over Spat is annoying af. It still bored me as i don't have anything to say. Yeah, there are some mements can go that long which isn't funny. Overall, it's boring and bad episode.

Shuffleboarding

I would point it out the title made no sense at all. because there's no tourney based on the episode title. Instead, we got very confusing story where SB & Pat "helps" save the town, but it turns out to be horrible heroes. Oh, and the ending gets even worse once you think it's good? NO! it ends with angry mob going after MM&BB which they blamed them like holy shit...what a mess. This is just medicore to say about it.

*insert haha le funny joke about being featured*

I already talked about ATG, so let me just say if I had remembered Shuffleboarding's existence, it would've almost certainly made my list. How did I forget about it? I literally spent a couple of paragraphs talking about what made ATG bad and Shuffleboarding has it even worse. Maybe it was so forgettable that I somehow erased its existence from my mind and it evaded my list? I wouldn't be surprised. Though it wasn't on my full list, I'll give it the honorable position of #26.

Spoiler

12. The Card (#41)
20. Cephalopod Lodge (#39)
23. All That Glitters (#38)

Dishonorable Mention:
26. Shuffleboarding (#37)

48. Gone - It's not a good episode, but I really don't hate it. Above all else, it's dull as dirt, and yeah, the ending blows.

47. Squidward's School for Grown-Ups - You saw my ranking. I truly despise this episode. Every character in it is at their worst, and it's near-unwatchable.

46. The Googly Artiste - I actually kinda dig this episode. Yeah, ol' Squid isn't treated great, but it's enjoyable enough.

45. You Don't Know Sponge - This episode stinks a lil bit, but I don't hate it. It's just kinda dumb.

44. The Play's the Thing - Shitty episode in a vague-ish way. It's a stupid premise and has an awful ending.

43. Pet Sitter Pat - It's not a good episode, but it's mainly harmless as far as I'm concerned.

42. A Day Without Tears - Outside of the horribly annoying opening, this episode is mostly normal bad, not worth a deep-seated hatred for.

41. The Card - Another merely bad episode without a need for hatred. As stupid and annoying as any other episode from then

40. Face Freeze! - Perhaps the most unfairly overhated episode in the show keeps dropping on the list, thank fuck. I hope to God it gets off the list entirely next time around.

39. Cephalopod Lodge - This is a totally awful, beyond stupid episode with some of the worst character designs in the show. Should be higher.

38. All That Glitters - It's certainly among the worst s4 episodes, but that says a lot about how good s4 is cuz this episode is another case of merely stinking.

37. Shuffleboarding - An absolute waste of an episode. Certainly deserving of hate.

What happened to the earlier post that I posted about "Face Freeze", being the first episode that I picked, to wind up on this list?! o.o I can't remember what I said, so I'll just say that wild take gag faces are good when they're done as quick, occasional jokes, but they do NOT work as the basis for an entire episode! :rolleyes: If I had remembered "Cephalopod Lodge" existed, it would've been my #25 pick instead. Probably everyone around here knows that I like "All That Glitters" unironically (though nowhere NEAR the level that I used to, THANKFULLY)! :hysterical: And "Shuffleboarding" is probably the most pointless, NOTHING episode of "Spongebob Squarepants" to ever exist, EVER!

25. ? 24. ? 23. ? 22. ? 21. ? 20. ? 19. "Face Freeze" (#40) 18. ? 17. ? 16. ? 15. ? 14. ? 13. ? 12. ? 11. ? 10. ? 9. ? 8. ? 7. ? 6. ? 5. ? 4. ? 3. ? 2. ? 1. ?

Expect the question marks to be filled in as more of my episode choices wind up appearing on this list. Enough said, true believers! ;)

• God Himself 1

I’m not sure if it’s for the last time or not here,but imo,non a single Season 4 episode belong to the bottom 50.Even All That Glitters has at least has some nice moments like that montage with Spongebob and Spatula,It centrally has more good than a lot of bad episodes that came after S4,and that’s including post sequel too.

36. "You! You ruined my free toy!"

1015458669_36.Waiting.jpg.61ebac7c271e85e127c157c40e9282e4.jpg

Waiting, 119 points

13 out of 41 lists (Highest Rank #4 @Clappy) (-12)

Ben: This episode is a complete waste of time. A lot in it is flawed. The episode has SpongeBob being a bit of a dick to everyone and just isn’t that well done to me. I mean how else would we get epic humor like how SpongeBob missed his own birthday. The pacing is slow (likely on purpose to simulate the waiting for the toy). While it is likely intentionally slow that doesn’t make the episode any more or less fun to watch. Why the writers felt this needed to be 11 minutes I don’t know. It was even paired with a short too, and I feel it would have worked better that way. The whole episode stands out as a boring slog that I honestly wish was like 6 minutes shorter. It’s almost as if this would wo-wait a second the plot was adapted from a 2003 SpongeBob book that shares the writer of this episode. That explains why it’s so weird in pacing, the plot structure was not made around an 11 minute episode. While this episode is relatively low on my list (#21) I still really do not like this episode.

35. "I promised Sandy I'd take extra-special care of her treedome while she's at the Inventor's Convention today. And that is exactly what I intend to do."

836911093_35.HouseSittinforSandy.jpg.2a5573b25675e1b479886e5d954378e9.jpg

House Sittin' for Sandy, 134 points

12 out of 41 lists (Highest Rank #3 @SRRS) (NEW)

OWM: House Sittin' for Sandy consists of about two minutes of actual plot with nine minutes of absolute nothing to pad it out. It spends most of its time either repeating itself (mostly Patrick saying phrases over and over again to SpongeBob) or completely pointless scenes that don’t go anywhere. These include a full morning routine scene of SpongeBob getting ready only to find out the Krusty Krab is closed, SpongeBob literally just doing what Sandy told him to without it being interesting or exciting, and a “worm incubator” that seems to be set up like a Chekhov’s gun but instead is just another useless thing to watch. The episode even has the balls to recycle footage of the robots destroying the dome like they didn’t already show it not even two minutes ago. Afterward Sandy then delivers the magical twist that she wanted SpongeBob to destroy the dome even though it probably would have been way easier to just ask him and Patrick directly. The robots then destroy both the dome and the magic gun again with the power of recycled footage, and the episode acts like it’s SpongeBob’s fault despite him not really doing anything wrong. This is a completely hollow episode that tries to fill itself up with nothing but overly long, pointless scenes tied together with what was already a pretty uninteresting plot. Overall the episode both accomplishes nothing and spends most of its time on plot elements that add up to nothing.

RDSP: Ah, finally something that's in the latter half of my worst list. Getting that out of the way though, I despise this episode personally. This is about the peak of Season 8 mediocrity, and godDAMN does it show. This episode is painfully slow-paced, the visuals are awful, the animation is subpar... I could go on. But the writing is the worst part. Y'know, I'm being generous calling it "writing", because so much of it is empty non-writing that just makes an already arduously slow episode even more painful. Oh, and the ending makes literally everything in the entire episode pointless. While I wish this episode could've gotten lower on the list, I'm content it's at least on it.

• Like 6
  • Happy 3

Christ yet another huge drop with Waiting? Feels like 75% of the eps are dropping by at least 5 this is crazy, but for the ep itself it still deserves to be on and made mine, it's just a waste of time and while not the worst episode, them crying over a goddamn toy and being bitchy to others is the episode concept which deserves to exist the least.

I'm not on the House Sittin bandwagon but it's pure dry air to the point of almost being torturous, with the only real joke being the water helmet thing which I just think the crew noticed too late and put it in to make up for them forgetting to add it on earlier. Fine with it being here but I wouldn't put episodes like it too high.