• Advertisement

How would you write the characters?

Steel Sponge

This kind of topic has been on my mind for a while. After several times that I've seen most us analyze the SB characters, I thought that I'd bring to discussion an issue about the series that has been going on for long since the early days of post-movie: the characterizations. While I believe all our opinions on the show's direction differs, I think most of us can agree that the writing for each of the SB characters are hard to satisfy.

When I say that the topic on this issue has been around for long, that's where I bring up the days of post-movie, where the criticisms for each of the characters are pretty frank. The main complaints for how the characters have been written were that most fans felt that their main attributes have become overexaggerated and/or that they have developed new traits that don't make them likable ("SpongeBob is too annoying and obsessed with Squidward," "Patrick turned into a jerk and his stupidity feels forced most of the time," "Sandy being a scientist is too out of place from her original athletic personality," "Mr. Krabs is too greedy and mean-spirited," "Plankton is too obsessed with stealing the Krabby Patty formula," etc.).

When it comes to the dissection of the characters for the more recent post-sequel seasons, I feel like it's become clearer that each of us have our own specific criteria for how each of the main SB characters should be written. Surely, some of the complaints for how some of the SB characters are written are some that have persisted from the post-movie era, but still, I feel like our opinions on how they are written have changed a lot since.

As the point that I'm trying to make here is that I feel like most of us have our own certain criteria for writing these characters, I would like to know what would exactly define any of the main SB characters as well-written to any of you. In other words, how do you think any of them should be written? It doesn't matter if your ideas are simple or complex. I have my own ideas, but I'd like to see what anyone else has to say first.

Spongebob-stalker

Patrick-only have epic butt licking/toilet ice cream humor

Squidward-wacky perfection like in Bunny Hunt

Mr. Krabs-sells peoples souls for 62 cents

Plankton-torture him to suicide

Sandy Squirrel-make her a live action squirrel like in epic Rodeo Daze

Gary-an awful sinner that should die from Puffy Fluffy

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
  • God Himself 1
  • Hug 2

SpongeBob - it's a bit hard to write spongebob but basically I would write him as a perfectionist who wants to try his best to help people and be nice, even if it doesn't always work in his favor. he goes on silly adventures to be jolly but be aware of the consequences. I would let him be angry or upset occassionally for good reasons and never exaggrate those behaviors. write more of his kid spirit without getting too childish. And let him be oblivious at times but not in an annoying way.

Patrick - he's the most tough one but basically I would write him as an insecure person who can be way over his head sometimes but to the his dick personality. let him be more of judgemental whenever something bothers him correctly but play it as a short joke. He's still stupid but makes stupid comments, instead of shouting or acting like baffoon. And let him speak normally just like rest of the characters, I don't like slow and childish talking Patrick.

Squidward - Just bring back his jerky side with the heart of gold. I would write him more sarcastic, mean and bored ocassionally but he should also have a little bit of fun whenever something wrong happens to a certain character. I wanna get into more of his sadness but also caring side, those stuff are being rarely tackles these days or just tackles in the wrong way. 

Mr. Krabs - A father figure and a good business man who is still into making money but not entirely crazy about it. He can be an awkward father to Pearl but he knows what's best for her. He should be more angry with actual justification for his employees but still care for them deeply. I wish Mr. Krabs would care for Squidward more as well, rarely those two ever get along. He can also get crazy whenever something bothers him and let him loose with going nuts sometimes.

Sandy - A mix of southern karate chopper and a scientist is fine with me but I wanna get into her insecurities, her overthinking nature, her screwing something up and her hothead nature getting in the way of her but it not making her look really bad in that aspect. Sandy should definitely be both calm, nice and friendly person around others and a bit hotheaded, stressful and overly emotional when something is wrong with her. I also wanna see more of her toughness and her trying to protect her friends but it doesn't always work out for her. 

Plankton - I think I'm mostly okay with how he's written as a character but I wish he'd be more respectful towards Karen for sure. He can be jerky towards Karen and sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's just mean-spirited. Otherwise, he's perfectly fine as a character atm.

Gary - Meow.

Mrs. Puff - She should definitely be more like No Free Rides where she's morally grey when it comes to SpongeBob but still deeply cares enough for him to make sure he passes.

Karen - I love her but she could use a bit time off from Plankton and get to know who she is. Maybe let her develop more friendship with Sandy and have her a bit more cynical and grumpy kind of person but still having fun and ocassionally being both a villain and an ally on her own.

• Like 1

Spongebob: A bit naive and gullible but devoted to his job and caring for his friends

Patrick: Dumb but with small flashes of brightness here and there... not always though

Squidward: Irritable and stuck-up, getting the short end of the stick often as a result; probably a bit depressed on the inside but doesn't show it to others and especially not to his neighbors

Mr. Krabs: Greedy but still caring about his workers deep down... unless they come between him and his money

Plankton: Tries to get the Secret Formula because of a deep-down resentment of Krabs leaving him in the dust years ago

Sandy: A mix of her several personality traits

Gary: Well, Gary

• God Himself 1

SpongeBob: I’d definitely try to tap in to what defined his character in the earliest episodes and try to update it for where the show is at currently. Having him exude a lot of childlike innocence, always meaning to help, even if he doesn’t always do the best job, while also giving some real punch to his character, some competitive drive and the like, to spice things up a bit. I think it would definitely bring him back to down to earth a bit.

Patrick: An idiot savant type, simply. Going to back the pre movie era, I think this character type did wonders for himself and his dynamic with SpongeBob, so, similar to SpongeBob, I’d try to recapture it in a way that doesn’t feel out of,place in the modern era.

Squidward: Would focus on the “Jerk with a Heart of Gold” trope, still the grouchy neighbor, yet still worries and cares for them in the end, acting as a surrogate to both of them, maybe even as angry as he is due to his knowing of their potential as people...fish.

Mr. Krabs: Has a similar dynamic to Squidward, just more work related, and only to SpongeBob, of course. I’d downplay his greed just a touch, and maybe toss in a sympathetic side to him, that focuses on desperation for the loads more of accomplishment and success in his life he already desires, the greed being pushed back will result in a less aggressive side of this pursuit, which could open potential for more story opportunities, I believe.

Sandy: Science/karate makes for an interesting mix, but I feel there needs to be a bit more depth. At times, it feels as though Sandy is some type of “Mary Sue” character, everyone she does going off seemingly without a hitch. This can get boring at times, so it needs a bit of punching up. Posters above have mentioned maybe a look into her potential insecurities, which is also the angle that I am coming from with this.

Plankton: I want to see Plankton humanized a bit more. This has definitely been done to great effect in numerous episodes, but I want to have the changes carry over, to see him outside of the Chum Bucket. All in all, I really don’t have many other problems with how he is written. 

1 hour ago, robnez said:

SpongeBob: I’d definitely try to tap in to what defined his character in the earliest episodes and try to update it for where the show is at currently. Having him exude a lot of childlike innocence, always meaning to help, even if he doesn’t always do the best job, while also giving some real punch to his character, some competitive drive and the like, to spice things up a bit. I think it would definitely bring him back to down to earth a bit.

Patrick: An idiot savant type, simply. Going to back the pre movie era, I think this character type did wonders for himself and his dynamic with SpongeBob, so, similar to SpongeBob, I’d try to recapture it in a way that doesn’t feel out of,place in the modern era.

Squidward: Would focus on the “Jerk with a Heart of Gold” trope, still the grouchy neighbor, yet still worries and cares for them in the end, acting as a surrogate to both of them, maybe even as angry as he is due to his knowing of their potential as people...fish.

Mr. Krabs: Has a similar dynamic to Squidward, just more work related, and only to SpongeBob, of course. I’d downplay his greed just a touch, and maybe toss in a sympathetic side to him, that focuses on desperation for the loads more of accomplishment and success in his life he already desires, the greed being pushed back will result in a less aggressive side of this pursuit, which could open potential for more story opportunities, I believe.

Sandy: Science/karate makes for an interesting mix, but I feel there needs to be a bit more depth. At times, it feels as though Sandy is some type of “Mary Sue” character, everyone she does going off seemingly without a hitch. This can get boring at times, so it needs a bit of punching up. Posters above have mentioned maybe a look into her potential insecurities, which is also the angle that I am coming from with this.

Plankton: I want to see Plankton humanized a bit more. This has definitely been done to great effect in numerous episodes, but I want to have the changes carry over, to see him outside of the Chum Bucket. All in all, I really don’t have many other problems with how he is written. 

welcome new member 

WhoBob definitely knocked it out of the park for me, but I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately, so here goes my own version.

SpongeBob: Admittedly I don't think I'd change too much. He's as much of an optimistic goofball as ever, but he's a bit more down to earth like in the earlier seasons. Like WhoBob said he's a bit of a perfectionist that wants to help everyone, even if it's just in a little way. Sometimes he can get carried away with it, but ultimately he means well, and if you really want to be left alone, he'll eventually take a hint and leave you be. He isn't ashamed to be himself or like what he likes, regardless of how childish they appear. Although this (Combined with his naivety and obliviousness) does lead to people (occasionally even his own friends) oftentimes not taking him seriously or underestimating him. SpongeBob tries his best not to let it get to him, but he does wish to be taken seriously, or at least be listened to more often. Despite his happy-go-lucky, childish spirit, he can go into Serious Mode when the situation calls for it, and can even get angry at someone if pushed enough. He doesn't like worrying his friends, so sometimes if something's bothering him or if he's upset about something he'll keep it to himself. This doesn't always work though, especially around Patrick. Speaking of...

Patrick: He was a tough one, but I think I'd have him retain some of his stupidity (Of course, no where as exaggerated). Unlike SpongeBob, who tries to consider everyone's feelings, Patrick logic is very much "act first, think later," and applies to both his actions and his words. He'll often say the first thing that comes to mind, and as a result will sometimes accidentally makes comments that can come off as mean and hurtful. So, people tend to think he's an immature, jerk-ish moron. Like SpongeBob, he too wants people to listen to him and to be taken seriously. The main difference with Pat is that his insecurities and frustrations can sometimes get to him more easily. Still, at the end of the day Patrick is someone who ultimately has his friends' backs. Pick on him all you want, but mess with his friends and you're gonna be in trouble.

Squidward: I wouldn't change too much, just cut down the zaniness of the recent seasons, and bring out more of his snark and softer side. He can still have his bad luck, but I'd make it a bit more justified or have him bring it on himself, rather than just having bad stuff happen to him for the sake of it. I'd also go a little bit more into why he's so grumpy and depressed all the time (Heck, maybe even add a bit more to why he dislikes SpongeBob outside of "He's annoying"), and maybe even have him start to slowly loosen up and become a little more open over time. Yes, he's pretty annoyed with the antics that go on all the time, but he still does care for his friends, even if he doesn't show it. Someone I know in a SB discord server I'm in mentioned the idea of him and Sandy hanging out sometimes and tbh I kinda like it. So yeah, he sometimes hangs out with Sandy (It certainly gives him a break from his neighbors lol)

Sandy: I don't mind her being a scientist, but I wouldn't completely forget about her southern, karate side either. I'd expand a bit more on what her life back in Texas was like (I really love the musical's idea that even back home she was considered an outcast because of her interests, and the implication that that's part of the reason why she left). I'd show more of her struggles to fit in and adjust to life in Bikini Bottom, despite a lot of the residents initially being wary of her (As a side note, I'd also probably write the surface world in general as being way more mysterious and scary for underwater folk, seeing how Bikini Bottom is *pretty* isolated from humans, for the most part, and whatnot). I see her as someone who'll throw herself into her work if she's stressed (Or maybe doing some karate on the nearby scenery as a way to vent), and while she's overall pretty nice and friendly to everyone, she's also still pretty hotheaded and prideful, which can make her seem pretty intimidating to some fishfolk.

Mr Krabs: He's still pretty cheap and loves money, but I'd go more into why. He had a very poor childhood, so now he wants to make absolutely sure that doesn't happen again (He especially doesn't want Pearl to go through that). Despite this, he still gets a bit too caught up in his love of money sometimes, but this time he doesn't get too extreme about it. I'd also go a bit into his Navy days too occasionally, not passing up a chance to tell stories to anyone who asks. I'd also bring out his fatherly side out a more with SpongeBob, and have him be looking out for Squidward too.

Plankton: Ngl I wouldn't really change anything. I'd just have him be nicer to Karen

Karen: Again I wouldn't change much. I just wanna see more of what she's like when Plankton isn't around. I like the idea of her and Sandy hanging out (Maybe sometimes they even get Squidward to join in lol).

Pearl: I'm taking big inspiration from the musical with her. She still acts like your stereotypical teen for the most part, who's also super into music and singing. While Krabs is so busy trying to get money to give her a good life, she doesn't really care about money that much. She just wants her dad to stop being so obsessed over it and to spend some time with her. However, sometimes she'll go to Squidward (Who she sees as an uncle figure) if she needs advice and wants to talk about something because unlike Krabs, he won't sugarcoat stuff and will give it to her straight.

Gary: Perfect, wonderful, absolutely stupendous. 11/10 wouldn't change a thing

Spongebob: would be more calm and not that childish, he would also become smarter, like in season 1-3

Patrick: he would become exactly like in season 1-3 except the fact that I would make him have some smart moments, that no one was expecting

Squidward: would become more intellegent and a bit less hateful towards spongebob

Mr. Krabs: would still be stingy, but he would also care about the well beings of people close to him (e.g. Spongebob) and not disregard their safety or well being because of money

Mr. Puff: would stopp obsessing over Spongebob

Plankton: would find a different hobby

12 hours ago, Mrs.Squidward said:

Spongebob: would be more calm and not that childish, he would also become smarter, like in season 1-3

Patrick: he would become exactly like in season 1-3 except the fact that I would make him have some smart moments, that no one was expecting

Squidward: would become more intellegent and a bit less hateful towards spongebob

Mr. Krabs: would still be stingy, but he would also care about the well beings of people close to him (e.g. Spongebob) and not disregard their safety or well being because of money

Mr. Puff: would stopp obsessing over Spongebob

Plankton: would find a different hobby

I like the way you think. ;D 

• Like 1