• Advertisement

Google Stadia: An Upcoming Gaming Service

Princess Peach

I was definitely getting some Ready Player One-esque vibes when I was watching the Keynote. With the ability for everyone to hop into the same save state and with devs being able to basically live-patch/update the games (not to mention the built-in assist), it's only a matter of time before Google launches a massive open sandbox that devs can work on endlessly and that gamers can jump right into - combine that with an inevitable VR/Google Glass integration and an upgrade that turns the assist function into a sidekick-type NPC and we're all gonna be dead by 2030.

Very cool otherwise though. I'm interested to see the price-point and what games are actually going to be on it. I could feasibly see, like, everything on here, but there has to be some reason why a studio would choose to stick with a company like Sony rather than shift over to Google, because if there isn't then I don't see the incentive to keep a console around if you can literally play anything you want wherever you want regardless of how good or bad your Internet connection is.

It's the future: cloud gaming. Like terminoob said, Ready Player One is literally what this entire thing is aiming to be (eventually, of course). I'm all for it. I do wonder what the price of it will be, considering the price of gaming is getting expensive. 

I have a Shield TV which lets me use GeForce Now, essentially the same thing.

It's not BAD, in fact it's rather good (especially for free, which it is for now!) but I genuinely hope they have good video compression. On GFN I played Tomb Raider the most and inside caves it wasn't rare to look around and have a hard time seeing. It's difficult to describe but everything just tended to be a really light gray and there was bad contrast everywhere. On clear day scenes, though, it looked perfect, and night scenes too for the most part.

Also sometimes at random parts of the day it would tell me my connection was weak and the compression kicked up really high and was ugly as sin.

Not big deal-breakers but still kinda a bummer nonetheless and they'd have to really fix these issues if I was going to use it full-time.

An RPO scenario seems really unlikely too since latency in VR is so important. 5G should supposedly fix it but imagine the scale at which they'd have to roll out datacenters. would be cool tho

Edited by the