• Advertisement

A Discussion on Squidward's Character

Am I the only one who feels Squidward has been written horribly for quite a bunch of seasons now? I can't really pinpoint where it started but I think later Post-Movie really seemed to up the ante on abusing his grumpy traits by making him an asshole at times, or just giving him nothing to do besides get treated like garbage by everyone else. And now Post-Sequel comes along, and keeps a bit of the anger intact, but now ups the ante on his overreacting and zany side. I guess I can say they did improve on it a bit in Season 11, but in the later episodes I saw he didn't have much big roles beside so maybe Whale Watching (which I kind of forget what happens in it, but i guess his character was fine in the episode).

It really sucks to have such a passion for Squidward. I'm the biggest fanatic of the character that I know of, he's the greatest character of the series, but is also the worst written. I think we really need to do something about it. Squidward needs to be more than a butt monkey, or stressed and screaming all the fucking time. We need the more humorous side (but not in a dumbass "let it all hangout" weirdo way, he shouldn't be an ugly moron like Ren), but by giving me more clever dialogue and stuff that will give him more character. I'd also love a more artistic, sophisticated side again, but when it's done it shouldn't be to mock him as much, those "no one understand he's talent so it's bad" gag gets old for so long. He deserves to be what his traits are, clever and cultured.

But will we ever get that spark of happiness for him? Is it never gonna be the same again? Is anyone going to step in just to give Squidward some of that magic again, the reason that I always loved him and the reason why he exists (but of course, keep that sadness and grumpiness, but keep both things balance to give him more character and more reason to give him some development).

What are your thoughts lads? I made this topic out of boredom tbh but also out of curiosity. ? 

• Like 1

In late post-movie Squidward was boring and predictible character, so I agree, he was written horribly at that time.

But imo, in post-sequel he is mostly fine and in late s11 he shined in particular. He was good in 9b besides few "wackier moments". I guess his worst period in this era was from late 9b to early 11 where his main schtik is overreact to everything with little to no reason.

But it was severely toned down and in episodes like Bottle Burglars, Plankton Paranoia, ChefBob, Whale Watching and especially Goons on the Moon he especially shined.

Its ok if you dislike how writers use him lately, but I honestly think that's the only character that was consistently badly written for a while is Patrick and even he seemingly got better in s12, Nitwitting notwithstanding.

• Like 1

Squidward’s been consistently a good character through the entire series to me, even in post movie he was still almost the same, only difference was that his hate for Spongebob was made more obvious/extreme, and he didn’t have many moments  where he seemed to truly care for Spongebob deep down like he did in premovie, but he was otherwise still the exact same. I consider it more the usage that was the problem, since there was a bunch of episodes that made him go through so much crap to frustrating or painful levels, without putting good humor into it. Squid Baby, KBBB, Choir Boys, Boating Buddies, Smoothe Jazz, etc... but he as a character was good.

The only actual characterization flaw I noticed, besides a few episodes (and those were more of exceptions), was in s10 and early s11 where he would go insane for no reason or over tiny things, mostly in ben gruper episodes. But those weren’t that bad still, and stopped during s11 anyway, so it’s fine.

Patrick and Mr Krabs went through way worse changes than Squidward did.

• Like 1

as others said already, I think he was toned down more in the later half of S11. Less "zany" moments, but not cliche grumpy guy all the time either. More balanced. I do agree with a lot of your statements though.

• Like 1

reviving this since I really want to know people's thoughts on this. And I want to add that refining Squidward is the only way to redeem his character as a step towards better and less cliched writing. Refining your craft and executing it perfectly with love, care and understanding is most important stuff for animation writing.