• Advertisement

SpongeBob Spin-Offs officially in the works

Jjs Goodman

Maybe I've laid it a little too thick on my thoughts of the announcement (and I bet now some of you know how I felt when I tried to convince some of you that we were judging the third movie a little too much/too quickly). Most of my complaints were directed towards the article itself, as I felt it just shows Nickelodeon's desperation to keep its audience and how they're still very reliant towards their biggest hit. I did not make the assumption that this is against Hillenburg's wishes, but it's kinda tasteless for Nick to announce plans to make SpongeBob spin-offs when news about his death is still fresh in our eyes. I'd also want to at least see if any member of SB's current staff has any say towards Nick's decision to make a new SpongeBob series. I'll be fair and say that whatever spin-off we get that's based on the original series, I hope that it's actually good.

I'm still probably never going to get over the "It's our Marvel Universe" comment though.

Edited by The Guy in the Sweater

Personally, I just think it's WAY too soon to call this whole thing a bad idea! :rolleyes: I know we all still kind of hurt inside that Stephen Hillenburg is gone, and there's no way to know what his vision would have been regarding any kind of possible spin-offs, but we should at LEAST give these spin-offs an honest chance before just writing it off! o.o After all, we don't know anything about what's coming up about them yet! And there's a slight possibility that it might not even happen (although I sure hope not, I want to get my "T.U.F.F. Puppy; Power Rangers;" and "Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness" crossovers SOMEHOW!) :cool: As long as the stories are good, and the animation is good, that's the most important thing regarding these potential spin-offs. Although, a little bit of heart and soul certainly doesn't hurt matters in any way! :D I'm simply going to reserve judgment on this whole thing, until more concrete evidence (such as images or video clips) comes along to either confirm or deny the existence of these spin-offs. Let's remember what this website is supposed to be all about: Watching something BEFORE we judge it! I think that's what Stephen Hillenburg would want us to do. Enough said! ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • God Himself 1

Gary is probably the only spinoff I could be down for, and I don't think he's being considered

Specials about the histories of these characters could have potential in the right hands, but please get out of the film business

Full length series? No, they'll just surround whatever core character with a bunch of newly created and poorly envisioned gimmick characters that we'll hate

Robbins' comment also came off as daft, misattributing the recent internet commotion as some kind of deep longing to see Spongebob in media at a more frequent rate

His first examples give me no faith and already tell me this is 2021 at soonest, after new Rugrats has taken off

Would've made sense if Nick was ending the original with Season 12 and Movie 3, and these had just been a few occasional one-off rating events to transition them into the post-Spongebob era...but hey, no financial dignity is the motto of the guy trying to turn it into the 90's again

• Happy 1

I wouldn't mind seeing the show end after season 12 and movie 3, but I think it has turned into the Looney Tunes. The article litteraly sais Nick will always make new SpongeBob. 

Maybe in our minds we should split the show up in how Hillenburg wanted it to be (season 1-3, movie, maybe the 2nd movie) and how Nick wants it.

In my opinion, the only way to keep the show/universe going well is if they only bring SpongeBob back for an occasional mini-series or movie. Maybe stretch out a season over a few years, but only include episodes that took care and time and are of high quality. But I know that will never happen.

I’m surprised this didn’t happen sooner to be honest.  I mean it took ten years for Rugrats to get a spinoff of some sort.  It took twenty for any sort of news regarding any for SpongeBob.

Look it’s easy to point how stupid that Marvel Universe comparison is.  They should have never made it in the first place because the two are absolutely incomparable.  But do I think it is possible for spin-offs to happen?  Of course.  We have a crap ton of ideas that have been made in this site’s extended history for over ten years that proves otherwise.  Just because the characters are the way they are now doesn’t mean they can’t be established on or even more finely tuned on for a spin-off.  That’s the thing about spin-offs for any show.  They take established characters and put them in new environments where they evolve even more.

My main concern about this news though is the timing.  This getting announced only a few months after the passing of Stephen Hillenburg just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  Not once in that article did I see Brian Robbins announce if Stephen Hillenburg ever even wanted this to happen in the first place.  I doubt Hillenburg wanted this to happen.  I don’t know for a fact, but my guess is if Hillenburg wanted spin-offs, we would have definitely gotten them by now. This just seems like a massive cash grab in a last ditch effort to make Nickelodeon relevant again.  Just like all of the other announcements in that article.  I get Brian Robbins endgame here.  He’s been a company guy all the way back to when I first started watching Nickelodeon as a 90s kid (I recognize his producer credits for All That).  But making spin-offs of someone else’s property, a recently deceased one at that, just comes off as graverobbing to me.  And that’s my biggest problem with this.  

Who knows if spin-offs of their most established property will work for Nickelodeon/Viacom?  Television channels in general are decreasing in viewership year over year.  Streaming is the present and the future.  One thing is for certain though with this announcement.  I won’t be watching, but I will tune in for more news because I am curious as to see exactly what ideas they will use and I’ll look at our spin-off section and archives and see if we did it better.

• Like 3

What's really interesting to me is that, now, people who watched SpongeBob's first episode when they were ten years old are pretty much old enough to write for the show.

Maybe one day, a person who grew up with SpongeBob will be the showrunner of one of its spin-offs...

• Confused 1

On 2/18/2019 at 9:15 PM, Rebus said:

What's really interesting to me is that, now, people who watched SpongeBob's first episode when they were ten years old are pretty much old enough to write for the show.

Maybe one day, a person who grew up with SpongeBob will be the showrunner of one of its spin-offs...

• Funny 1

Small update: "over half a dozen" of these are in the works:

http://nickalive.blogspot.com/2019/04/nickelodeon-has-over-half-dozen.html

"Robbins also pledged that Nickelodeon will always make SpongeBob, and revealed that he sees ample room to explore other characters"

get ready kids, we have ideas forever

the fun will never end

well, at least it's good to know that while nick is still sleeping on airing static cling and enter the florpus, the company has been spending most of its time thinking up of at least six ideas for SB spin-offs that they can't possibly greenlight all at once. this just has to be only a setup for a direct-to-video film franchise, right? that's what it feels like. oh yeah, and we're getting a game show based on SB too, according to the same article? JFC.

This is the current state of affairs that Nickelodeon is living in, folks. This is the main network's new CEO that were dealing with. This is the new Nickelodeon. it's a real freaking pleasure.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Confused 1

I can't help but thinking that this effort by Nickelodeon to massively franchise "Spongebob Squarepants" is going to MASSIVELY backfire in their faces, when they over-saturate the market, and make a lot of their fans tired to the point of numbness. I personally hope that DOESN'T happen. I'd rather get the "Rocko's Modern Life" & "Invader Zim" movies first, BEFORE we get any "Spongebob Squarepants" related spin-offs. That's just my personal perspective on this whole thing. Enough said, true believers! ;)

• Like 1