• Advertisement

Am I the only one?

BeachBob95

5 minutes ago, BeachBob95 said:

I do like a good portion of it, but the quality is seriously declining to me. 

S12 so far isn't much different from S11 or S10, so you probably beginning to get tired from the show, that's perfectly normal.

Tbh, there's more people who actually dislike post-sequel than like nowadays, but hey, maybe it just me over-exaggerating and feeling self-conscious again.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I personally think the new era has been much better than post-movie but it does have issues and you are right that some aspects of it are dumbed down. I don't agree with you much but I can see why you would feel that way. This show has desperate need of direction and new material.

• Like 2

SpongeBob has always been a tough act to follow after its first three seasons and just thinking about that kills me a little bit inside. At the very least, while I can see that S10-S12 has its own problems, they don't lump themselves in with the quality of S6-S7 so much because most of the mean-spiritedness that it inherited was gone since the second half of S9...well, unless you got episodes like "Ink Lemonade" that unintentionally lean towards that level of quality. I understand how you're feeling about the show's current state. The kind of episodes that make up the most bad in the new era are simply creative brainfarts like "Library Cards" and "Krusty Katering," which I say are a couple of prime examples to what you're saying about how some episodes of the new era feel dumbed down.

And while I get the main criticisms that the new era gets for some of its episodes, I still say regardless that it's not worse than the usual wrongs of S6-S7. I'm also no fan of "The Nitwitting" at all, but I wouldn't say that it's a beginning of a worse period in SB's current era, especially when S12 just had its start. One excellent episode or one terrible episode doesn't make/break a season, IMO.

• Like 3

I liked season 11, and thought the back half was fine. 11 had its dumb moments, but at the shows age I think this stuff is inevitable (stuff like Squirrel Jelly and Library Cards feel like they exist due to ridiculous episode orders). At least I find it more clever than the episode about farting brains or the one where they don't know how to play sports.

But yeah, s12 looks horrible so far. Nitwitting is bottom 25 material. It took 11 at least 30 episodes in to reach Ink, and only 2 episodes for s12 to drop in quality, and add that to the fact that most of the episodes haven't been good so far and the premises look like garbage.

I'm gonna be honest, while I can't really agree with you since there's many episodes from the post-sequel seasons I really enjoy, I can safely say that post-sequel seems to be forgettable (which doesn't necessarily mean bad). I can remember pretty much everything from seasons 1-9a, but most stuff after the sequel movie just becomes a blur with the exceptions of episodes like Feral Friends, Mimic Madness, and My Leg!

Season 12 is still kind of disappointing to me. More so than any previous season. It's just gotten so fast paced that the charm it used to have is almost entirely gone. The jokes often don't make me laugh because the timing isn't there and it feels like they are throwing around random and childish humor. Some of it is still really creative, but I guess it appeals to a new generation of kids now.

SpongeBob has been going on for so long that in between the movies it's devided in three shows with all different styles and different people working on it. I'll keep watching to see where it goes, though.