• Advertisement

The SpongeBob "Zelda Cycle"

Jjs Goodman

So if we're comparing spongebob to the zelda timeline, that would mean A Pal for Gary is the only canon episode, while every other episode is just a dream. Just like how I believe the Zelda CDI games are the only canon games, and every other game were just dreams by the King after eating too much dinner.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1

The opinion of SpongeBob as a whole differs from person to person, seasons included. To put it all bluntly, people's definition to how they watch or enjoy SpongeBob is like our fingerprints. There are some that go as far as to defend some of the series' most controversial episodes. There are some that will bite tooth and nail to defend the most recent seasons. There are some that will condemn just about everything after S3 to spite the series' current state. Heck, there are probably also some that treat S6 and S7 with kindness. The list goes on. As I've already made my point across, there are many different shades of a SB fan.

Since we are talking about general and more widespread opinions, anything that I could add about how the consensus of each season except pre-movie has changed within time, my thoughts and experiences go all the way back to before I was even a member of tv.com, back when the Best Day Ever marathon was a big deal and I was perplexed to see that most others were absolutely outraged when most of the fresher S4 episodes overwhelmed the earlier and much more beloved ones. There was also the special itself that the marathon was leading up to be panned, but I understood why most folks thought it was disappointing back then.

At the time I joined tv.com, S5 was still fresh to us. Skimming through the critical responses for almost every episode of the season, I instantly realized that the general response towards S5 was that it took away almost everything that made the first three seasons so good and it was part of the norm to rag on S5, like S4 was before. Of course, In that same timeframe, its forum was flooded with discussions centered on SpongeBob going downhill and how much its characters have changed in comparison to the earlier seasons. That general behavior of the SpongeBob discussions in tv.com pretty much persisted until 2009, I believe, when S7 was nearing its start and while S6 was still airing some of its remaining episodes (and S5 to a much smaller extent once you consider that Goo Goo Gas aired that year). That was probably because SB was entering its 10th year on the air at the time and it meant most of us needed to show a little more positivity towards the show that we would regularly talk about.

Therefore, I think the reason for the contrast between the reviews and scores for most S4-S6 episodes and most S7 episodes on tv.com back then had to do with our stances as SB fans and our continuously developing minds both changing. For the former reason I suggested, I think it was because the SB discussion forums on tv.com had dealt with so much negativity/pessimism towards the show that most of us then aimed to redefine and reassure ourselves as SB fans by showing how dedicated we are to the tv.com community for the series and give its future a lot more fair chances than we could give. Nowadays, it seems like it to me that most people, including those who dislike a good chunk of SB episodes, can reassure themselves as SB fans a lot easier, further elaborating on what I mean by how peoples' stances as SB fans have changed.

As for the latter reason I gave, I feel like that the older that we've gotten and the longer that we've stayed as members of the fan community, the more that we've broadened our perspectives on the seasons. That reasoning also applies to after tv.com lost its relevancy. It wasn't until around late 2011/early 2012, back in the MoBros days and back when I was obsessed with TV Tropes when I realized that the general opinion of S7 was merely the same as S6. It wasn't until Mr. Enter and Pieguyrulz's rise to prominence in 2014 that I've realized that all the scrutiny that S5 received ages ago had seriously fizzled out. It wasn't until after the whole "era wars" that took place on TV.com and on here back in 2011 that I've realized that S4 has become more beloved. In addition to that, it's funny to think nowadays that in my first couple of years on tv.com, when I was still very young, I was one of the very few people standing up to S4 even while admitting to have hated a select few episodes like All That Glitters and SquidBob TentaclePants. S4 even actually stuck with me as my absolute favorite season until a few years later once I felt that I've overwhelmed my feelings towards it. Heck, that particular age reasoning must be even why the general opinion on I Was a Teenage Gary, for example, has soured somehow as of recent.

I can't guarantee that my explanations are completely coherent, but still I've wanted to throw in my two cents and I'm certain that this cycle is generally not very easy to explain.

• Like 2