• Advertisement

Sonic the Hedgehog (film)

Steel Sponge

You can call me crazy, but I genuinely think that Sonic's design and general awfulness of the trailer is intentional marketing stunt. I have my reasons for believing that:

1) If they are changing thr design, even if not majorly, it will take a lot of time and effort to actually redo animations and stuff like that. In 6 months time span this is actually impossible. Either changes will be extremely minor or date will be moved. OR there was appealing design all along and they don't have to do anything. CGI in trailer, let' be real, looked cheap as fuck. In some scenes Sonic feels like he was photoshopped in. It can just mean that budget is low OR that this trailer is almost entirely consists of fake/altered footage with "ugly" design.

2) This movie obviously will also bring tons of merchandise. And if they will change design, not just some of the supporting cast, but the MAIN character, it would be kinda... not very wise, since merch is being made in advance. But. If my theory about "good design" is correct, merch is already made with "corrected" design in mind. Keep in mind that we still haven't saw any sort of merchandise related to the movie yet, which is kinda weird, considering that's not much of time left until it's release.

3) Sonic's overall reputation. As much as I love this franchise and these characters, I have to admit that Sonic as franchise has laughably bad reputation nowadays. It's less of something genuinely respected and more of "ironic and memeable". So this marketing strategy actually worked in favor with this. Who cares if Sonic's movie looks at least decent? This doesn't sound interesting at all. Well if this movie sounds and looks AWFUL, that's different talk entirely. Now everyone talk about this movie, even people who don't care for the character or franchise. 

Of course there's possibility that I am fucking crazy and this theory is bunch of barnacles, but it makes way too much sense to me. Let's hope that's true.

• Wow 2

Klu coming up with conspiracy theories like 

8zybizL.jpg?1

anyways this trailer was not great. The jokes weren’t that funny and some of them went on for longer than necessary. If I had one positive thing to say, at least Jim Carrey looks like he’s having fun? 

Edited by Katniss
  • God Himself 2

Katniss, I don't know where you found the above picture, but it is SO godly! :cool: Still, it is pretty amazing how EVERY time you think Sega can't come out with something WORSE than something BAD that they have already done, they find a way to OUTDO themselves! o.o If this IS an intentional marketing strategy to catch movie pirates off-guard, it's either remarkably stupid, remarkably brilliant, or stupidly BRILLIANT!!!! :hysterical: We'll just have to wait and see! :D Enough said! ;)

• God Himself 1

On 5/4/2019 at 10:21 AM, Katniss said:

Klu coming up with conspiracy theories like 

8zybizL.jpg?1

anyways this trailer was not great. The jokes weren’t that funny and some of them went on for longer than necessary. If I had one positive thing to say, at least Jim Carrey looks like he’s having fun? 

Spoiler

the baby joke was pretty funny :funny:

• Wow 1

On 5/4/2019 at 2:00 PM, Klu said:

You can call me crazy, but I genuinely think that Sonic's design and general awfulness of the trailer is intentional marketing stunt. I have my reasons for believing that:

1) If they are changing thr design, even if not majorly, it will take a lot of time and effort to actually redo animations and stuff like that. In 6 months time span this is actually impossible. Either changes will be extremely minor or date will be moved. OR there was appealing design all along and they don't have to do anything. CGI in trailer, let' be real, looked cheap as fuck. In some scenes Sonic feels like he was photoshopped in. It can just mean that budget is low OR that this trailer is almost entirely consists of fake/altered footage with "ugly" design.

2) This movie obviously will also bring tons of merchandise. And if they will change design, not just some of the supporting cast, but the MAIN character, it would be kinda... not very wise, since merch is being made in advance. But. If my theory about "good design" is correct, merch is already made with "corrected" design in mind. Keep in mind that we still haven't saw any sort of merchandise related to the movie yet, which is kinda weird, considering that's not much of time left until it's release.

3) Sonic's overall reputation. As much as I love this franchise and these characters, I have to admit that Sonic as franchise has laughably bad reputation nowadays. It's less of something genuinely respected and more of "ironic and memeable". So this marketing strategy actually worked in favor with this. Who cares if Sonic's movie looks at least decent? This doesn't sound interesting at all. Well if this movie sounds and looks AWFUL, that's different talk entirely. Now everyone talk about this movie, even people who don't care for the character or franchise. 

Of course there's possibility that I am fucking crazy and this theory is bunch of barnacles, but it makes way too much sense to me. Let's hope that's true.

Spoiler

Cool I’m not the only one here who also watch Культас here ???

• God Himself 1

I noticed some references to some of the video games within the series. Sonic's world was "Green Hill Zone" from the first "Sonic the Hedgehog" game; "Hill Top Zone" from "Sonic the Hedgehog 2" was referenced with a sign that said "Hill Top Road"; Sonic the Hedgehog's western outfit was inspired by some promotional material for "Sonic Triple Trouble" for the Game Gear; Sonic racing through Egypt is meant to reference "Sandopolis Zone" from "Sonic & Knuckles"; Sonic facing off against a bunch of robots and a giant aerial battle craft comes from "Sonic Adventure" and "Sonic Adventure 2"; and Sonic racing through China is a reference to the "Chun-yan" levels in "Sonic Unleashed". I wonder if there are going to be any more video game references in the movie? We'll just have to wait and see! :D This movie now actually LOOKS promising! :cool: Enough said, true believers! ;)

• Like 1

I went and saw the movie and for all the complaining I heard about from the trailers, I actually enjoyed the movie. While I'm not a huge Sonic fan, I thought the movie was a lot of fun aside from being cliché at times and the one fart joke in the middle. Sonic himself was great looking design-wise  and I enjoyed his character. Jim Carrey was really funny to watch and his dialogue got a few good laughs. From the theater I was in, I can see that I wasn't the only one who enjoyed it since I heard a lot of people laughing and cheering whenever Sonic did something cool or whenever Robotnik said something funny. There were especially a lot of cheers during the two mid-credits scenes. All the cheering was not from just kids, but from older Sonic fans who came to the movie dressed up in costume. I wouldn't mind seeing the sequel if it ever comes out.

So I would recommend going to see the movie whether you're a sonic fan or not. It's definitely not the disaster it could've been.

Though I can't help but wonder how that credits scene would've looked had they decided not to redesign Sonic.