• Advertisement

Coffee_lovers’ Top/Bottom 15 of Season 11

Coffee_lover

#12 WORST:

v7LyvVs.jpg

AND #12 BEST:

xBnXsSI.jpg

Today we have 2 episodes in a row.Why? Because looking back,I found Check-Up and Don’t Feed the Clowns to be really similar,but at the same time completely different.So it’s would be more easier to review both with comparing each other and explain why first episode is a wonderful gem,while second is fairly bland.

Like I said,both episodes has something own for them:It’s the fact that they are really focused on visual humor.As I know,a lot of people dislike slapstick gags in new era and accept dialogue jokes only.But I don’t think that having more jokes that went from animation is bad for this show,especially that on a technical wise it’s have potential and skills by talamted people,it’s not like Season 8 or 9a that tried to create slapstick  jokes with stiff and cheap animation and ended up begin pathetic with it.But having fluid animation is not automatically made something funny,isn’t it?Check-Up made me laugh a lot of times!Clown...not really.But how they get completely different levels while having the same format on the paper?Let’s just look at the details then: 

One of the main rules of humor in general is simply the fact,that if you made a joke where punchline became predictable since set-up,this joke doesn’t work.But at the same time you can’t simply create random twist in it to making it 800% unpredictable,for not having lack of connection you should at least just add logical understanding of characterization.And Check Up didn’t ignored this rule.I can take any scene from it as a example,but just decided to peak the scene with X-Ray Photography,beginning started with introduction of the mentioned object,as well as introduction of Mr Krabs’ motivation to having a photo:it’s free!And a lot of little visuals gags started to crafted right after,but relatively made sense in it and begin pretty clever(X-Ray photo as a body form of a real crab?Hilarious!).And that’s like episode builded up as a whole.Now let’s look at Don’t Feed the Clowns.Nearly everyone have a knowledge of clowns’ stereotypes,either it’s about them begin scary for kids(or not for kids),or they love to launch pies in someone’s face,I can continue and continue,and that’s why episode didn’t work really well.I think that scene in Bakery is a good example,I can give a credit to it for having some variations of visual delivery(I like that part where main chef been so angry that just set on fire dough by himself,pretty funny moment)but for the rest this sequence is failed at hiding joke because audience already know that Clown gonna obsessed with pies.And that’s basically how episode went.And it’s not like you can’t make a great comedy that based on stereotypes,this season made it once(but we gonna talk about this one sooner),but in this episode the level of creativity and variations of making fun of stereotypes is so generic and low that it’s just not funny.Not great,not great at all.

Pacing and development also really different in those episodes.Even though mostly both focused more on humor than anything else,it’s never feel unnecessary to have some sort of plot.Does today’s episodes have it?Yes.... for Check-Up....and maybe for Clowns.What I like about Chech-Up is that it’s has some continuity with previous scenes even though it’s not trying to look that noticeable(Main example is Mr Krabs’ reaction changes to the fact that everyone give to him a free stuff).And there just basic points of beginning,middle and ending where every each one is important.It’s made episode more complexing and solid for its own.Clowns in other hand don’t really bother with it.Begging in circus has stakes I’II guess,but then episode is just bunch of clips where Clowns make fAnY sTaFFFFFFF, it’s has no real goals or structure in any sense,it’s just exist and try to make people had a laugh(spoiler:it didn’t),and ending honestly feel like it has nothing to do with previous scenes,which is made episode more pointless than it already was.

I like characters in both of episodes,they always and has motivation to what they does,even in one episode it’s predictable.But Check-Up is still superior here once again,like I said before,in Check Up a lot of humor come wrom characters acts,and made it really well because it sensical but at the same time not predictable,and of course that ending twist with Laryy earn a lot of points for episode for begin a winner in both of aspects.Clowns is just has decent characterization but nothing more,I like the main Clown here though.Same I can say about animation,on a technical level it’s equal ,but Check-Up used high quality visuals for presentations of great characters and humor,while Clowns for the most part just showed that Spongebob has good animation,that’s it.

And that was Check-Up and Don’t Feed the Clowns.First episode is a amazing ride with quality humor that based on characters and cartoony violence,along with good development and twists.Second episode...is not all that bad,I still had some enjoyment while watching it because I like characters in it,and while humor not worked as it should,episode had at times decently fine parts,and at least humor isn’t annoying or gross unlike some other episodes that we gonna see next,I give it that.I don’t think that rewatching this episode would be some kind of torture,but at the same time,why I need to do that?Check-Up is a better choice in every possible aspect here.

And that’s how different can be the same type of humor in the same season ladies and gentlemen.Maybe someone not really cared about that since "dialogue based humor is the only humor that matters in show"but this argument is really poor and lazy for me.I think that visual humor can also be really funny in Spongebob,but just some episodes don’t really wanna make something to going for,so in this case not a really good slapstick is a deal of particular duds.And man,do we gonna get some duds next time...

• Like 3

To be honest The Check-Up has fair share of dialogue humor as well as visual one, but slapstick there was excellent, so I agree with your points. Also, quite original idea to review and showcase both episode's strengths and weaknesses by comparing them, review was very enjoyable to read.

This is probably your best review yet, I love how you compared both episodes and went into detail on how a visual joke is supposed to work. I can say I agree with your opinions too. Clowns is just so... predictable and safe in execution that it leaves no effect on me. It's one of those episodes that could just as easily not exist and nothing of real value would be lost.

• Like 1

#11 WORST

yazHeYj.jpg

Man,this season is so strange,Moving Bubble Bass made me laugh really hard at times,yet get on the worst list.I seriously sometimes really get shocked towards this shit.

But let’s start with episode’s best:I think none of you gonna be surprised,but it’s Bubble Bass himself.It’s far from begin his first appearance on this era and season,but I always glad to see this thicc guy having more time and roles,so getting it’s own episode is a really good thing.What I should give a credit to Doug Lawrence,is that he really put a lot of fun and hilarity into Bubble Bass here,heck,I mast say that this episode try to made him to have more realistic characterization of fat and lazy nerd that live in Mother’s basement,as well as his plan to giving Spongebob and Patrick all of his moving troubles is really fitting to him.And not to mention Bubble Bass is still really really funny!Even not a really attempts to a jokes made me laugh like Bubble Bass’ butt jiggling   on the stairs or any of his crazy expressions,I think it’s worked really great because episode with all of this stuff at the same time fitted it with his characterization which made it look necessary and comedic in my opinion.And besides him everything that went over his space also get funny for some reason that I can’t explain with examples?.

So,how episode with such a great proc doing at 11th worst?You might ask me.Well,the main problem of episode is...

Vo9tFbR.jpg

...everything else.

Why!?!?Why Bubble Bass just disappears in the middle of a stage?!Isn’t this episode about him or something?!Looks like not really...

The middle of episode was just annoying,nearly humorless,aimless,and disgusting.I at first didn’t know how to explain specific about where episode fails in terms of had any sort of substance,and so made this poorly made scorecard:

90Yd4bz.jpg

Okay,why Spongebob and Patrick just went in completely different way from their goal?Yes,episode already said that they both are stupid foolish,but it’s not even been a ironic joke,it’s just plot’s misunderstanding.And even without that middle act changed the whole structure of location every 3 seconds and made with it episode really hard to get anything of happening here,I know that Spongebob never had super solid continuity in tens of road building,but not nearly every second!It’s so hyperactive and random that can easily get the same place with Krasty Katering(ironically,here been a reference to Katering).Humor is not better,most of the time it’s neither repetitive(focused line,kids),gross(butts that been stalked with a boats,Patrick’s saliva)orsimply predictable(grandpa that can walk now,the whole scene with wrong house breaking).I mast say that I like the whole sequence of characters pacing BB’s stuff into boxes,and moment where Patrick turns out his eyes,but that’s really it.But,I need to say that Spongebob and Patrick themselves are not that bad.I definitely didn’t found jokes that they represented in the middle to be funny,they still had some qualities,like having a solid motivation for what they did,and it’s been a sweet moment where Patrick defend Spongebob when he recognize that they not gonna get free launch.What ironically funny to me once again,is that when Bubble Bass appears,episode more make a jokes with making fun of Spongebob and Patrick’s stupidity,while the middle take this stupidity as a above of a humor,which is made me a one headcanon:Lawrence just changed his mood most of the time while writing this episode,because I have no other idea then.

Animation on a technical wise is really solid,I like several expressions of characters out of context,but as I said before,middle trying so hard with bombastic visuals that ended up begin hard to sit down. 

And that’s all what I can say about today’s accident.I absolutely love Bubble Bass in episode and everything that comes over his mind.But unfortunately,this episode didn’t handled anything without him at all.I still don’t get why BB is just didn’t appear in the middle of a thing,in my opinion,even if episode would have the same structure,with comments of this green nerd episode would be much more entertaining.But as we get,it’s a one of the most annoying moments ever made in Season 11.But as much as episode did made me laugh at times,it’s still not too bad and only a borderline Bottom 10.But it’s not making the fact that I really disappointed by a finale result to be positive.Not at all.

• Like 2

11# BEST:

s8L2xMl.jpg

I remember times when I found this episode to be pretty overrated,I liked it,but never found it to be that stand out or special.And,I take my words back,looks like I’m been a really gullible and fooled back in that time,because Teacher’s Pests is a truly a great gem!This episode has so much to love,but let’s start with the most shocking part:HOLY SHRIMP!!!It’s a Mr Krabs and Plankton rivalry episode...and without non a single hint for Secret Formula or any restaurant fight???WHAT A MIRACLE!!!Serioly,since what episode did we seen that?Or seen we that in this show at all?It’s so refreshing and a nice point that automatically made episode to find a place with a best of the best.But fortunately,there more good qualities.

And what I wanted to pointed out next,is defending one aspect that some people have issues with:Mr Krabs and Plankton act too childish in episode.While,there definitely some differences here,but I disagree that it’s ruined episode whatsoever.Because,just like Check-Up,form start to finish episode have a solid building of a comedy sequences,and characterization of both characters is used for make a actual humor,and not just an one dimensional jokes about the fact that characters acted stupid(I’m looking on you,Salsa Imbecilicus).And that’s what made episode is really-really good,the jokes are really well done.They are mostly a big 1 or even 2 minutes sequences that take one concept from "what if Mr Krabs and Plankton would went in one Boating School?"and put so little comedian and creative details that made a lot of joy for your heart.Let’s just look at the set-up of episode,it’s shot so many goals at once and still felt subtle.Not only it’s introduce revival of our main characters,it’s execute it with a really good cartoony exaggeration.Plankton use a tank as a moving transport?Are you kidding me?This is absolutely hilarious!And then beginning just go and go with every single slapstick gag that just works because how creative freedom of this scene is.And it’s only a beginning!So is this episode really all that "childish"?I’m don’t think so at all...

Characters here is a mix of a points that I mentioned above,I absolutely adore that Mr Krabs and Plankton never mentioned Secret Formula for the whole 11 minutes,which is felt so strange at one side,but then you just get that Ben Gruper just made a great work.And while both of this characters are important objects for a comedy,we can’t forget about Spongebob and a Mrs Puff,they have a roles in episode as a be neither a middle guy in the conflict or try solving it,and it’s create even more gags in the middle!I really enjoyed the whole new version of Boat Smarts,that’s been a solid short from Season 5,but a Season 11 version also find what add new on the table.Don’t forget the whole fruits sequence!It’s another solidly made scene that get development with every second and put cleverness into it instead begin completely random and juvenile.Boating Rece at the second half is another great scene that represents a lot of good material,and without no doubt the funniest part is Spongebob part,the whole irony of his getting driving really well when nobody cared about it is so artistant that disliking it is officials counts as a sin.

And of course what made episode so good is animation,Boating School premise is a really good chance for a really energetic animation that new episodes has,and this episode used it perfectly.All of boating and non boating scenes looks absolutely like a haven for the eyes,it’s just beautiful to look at and unlike some episodes in the Bottom of a season,quality animation doesn’t exists for forced you to look at how wacky and crazy it is,not here,here animation knows it’s job and just make it relatively neutrally.

And wow,did I seriously overlooked this episode once?This is definitely one of the most unique and amazing episodes of post-sequel era as for date.It’s a 11 minutes of funny,wonderfully paced,smart and beautiful enjoyment.If there anything I found to disliking,it’s might be a very very ending gag,I found the whole SquidBob TentaclePants 2.0 thing to be really cliched and unnecessary,but since it’s only a short ending gag,it’s nowhere near to be a damage to overall high quality episode,although without that Teacher’s Pests would be a bit higher than it’s current score.

And finally we reach Top and Bottom 10 territory!Now we gonna diving into more spectacular and flat out lame material of the season.Can’t wait for this,since it’s in 1000 times more interesting to make tbh.

• Like 4

Moving Bubble Bass was ok. The scenes with Bubble Bass were good, but the episode would have been much better if the animation was tuned down a bit. It feels like everything is exageraed, and while I don't find this as big of an issue as others in certain other episodes, in this episode it stands out to me. Some of the positions of the character models look either off or gross. The episode has some redeeming stuff, like Spongebob's little speech towards the end, but it isn't too great on its own.

Teachers Pests is great, and in my top 6 for the season. I love the rivalry between Krabs and Plankton, and the episode is jam packed with some of the seasons best gags. All of the characters are great as well, and it is just a fun and fast paced ride. Probably my favorite boating school episode in a long time.

Oh boy,finally SBC get back on a track.I’m think it’s a great reason to continue!

#10 WORST:

0cBsMTj.jpg

Wow,this episode?Is this a surprise for you?I think nearly anyone put this episode in a Bottom of the season,in fact,someone put it even in the top.But personally,I don’t fond on my full enjoyment watching Patnocchio.L’m gonna be honest,if I would made this list back in summer episode would be 3th worst of the season because how much I get bad taste in my mouth that time,but,I should admit that I been too harsh on this episode back when it’s come out,because there definitely some aspect that redeemable and cool,but for the most part it’s pretty damn messy and mediocre.

The concept is pretty strange and unusual for Spongebob.It’s more felt like a Season 9 of Fairly OddParents with all those random references and parodies of anything in existence.And no,this is definitely much better than modern FOP’s garbage,not even a debate in it,and it’s still deserved to take a credit for trying to variate Secret Formula instead of begin bland and forgettable,but...it’s not really boosting the whole thing that much for some of the reasons.

First and the most important object in episode is Patrick himself,do I like him?

hwqTIIK.jpg

no

It’s not like his the most annoying appearance in the season here or the most pointless one,but damn he is not a very good character here and a proof that Patrick just rarely can having a worthy own episode with his own adventures,I didn’t enjoyed seeing him overreacting about anything that happens around so loudly,some other S11 episodes make it better when this stupidity appears in small doses(and even with that variation season can sometimes fail)but 11 minutes of that?No thanks.But then we have a Plankton on the hands.A lot of people say that episode balanced Patrick’s dumb acts with Plankon’s smartness...I’m honestly conflicted about that.He is definitely smarter or at least more tolerable than Patrick himself,but I have a feeling that he also made so many stupid designs along with Patrick that made really avoidable conflicts(Krabby Patty come to Pearl and her friends?What bother you to buy another one?Episode didn’t explained that at all).This is feels like just a worse version of Chum Bucket Supreme,in that episode both characters has the same roles,but there so better developed balance between having braindead character in universe that doesn’t annoy me,as well as evil brain characters begin actually having a brain,and not to mention that along with more consistent characters,humor much more builded and clever.Speaking about humor...

At least half of the comedy in episode is so annoyed me.There a lot of moments that try to showed Patrick’s dumbness and giggling as a comedy,which is nothing new for us,but what I seriously shocked by is that there just so much problems with any sort of substance in small jokes that just make the whole thing incredibly confusing without any explanation,there some other episodes in last times that pull out lazy structure of jokes,but Patnocchio beats them up so badly.For example Nose Lier gag,in Goofy Goober,Plankon tell Patrick that nose grows up when you tell the truth,he 100% believe in that,but in scene with Geppetto,Patrick is just doubted in truth when Geppetto’s nose grown-up.Or how about Nose fighting joke?Idea for a gag is alright but building is a pure random atrocious(I get that Patrick is stupid,but please give him at least one reason to start the fight).How about Goofy Goober’s Waiter joke?He just changer his reaction towards ice cream disaster completely,while basically nothing changed in the former or punchline.But what gag that I HATE,it’s easily a rock star joke.Such an awful attempt for a comedy that has non a single connection for the setting,reasoning to be,and just plain obnoxious,and it’s wouldn’t be that a big deal if it’s would be one-liner part.But running gag?!It’s get so irritating over the end.Okay,it’s not like there no good jokes at all,but the major chunk of it is just a lame-wagon that I don’t really wanna to see in episodes.Begin said,so poorly made humor really drugged down parody values of episode,because episode is parodied TALE,there so much freedom for the weird and bizarre type of humor that can be looks unfitting in other episodes(even for S11 standards)but instead begin useful weird it’s just lazy wired,which is honestly really disappointing.And I didn’t even say that episode just don’t really cared for plot and it’s felt just as random as most of humor here.

But is everything here all that bad?No,I still like something in this episode anyway.Like I said before,there still some good jokes that works well for a magic tale world,every Karen’s stuff is great (except probably for that Gush and Flush thing),fighting in Pearl’s belly is quite a fun little part,some Plankton’s quotes are still amusing.And what I also find charming is that characters’ outfits and overall visuals presentation of tale atmosphere like beginning with a book,there episode definitely put a great chunk of effort into it.And once again, I respect the way how episode try to be different with Stealing Formula concept and barely using Spongebob in it.And while Goofy Goober scene is pretty much useless,I’m still been so happy when I saw it first time.Those parts not making the final results great by any means,but at least handle out to not let entire episode begin awful like it would be.

Patnocchio is just wasted it’s fair potential all around,having some decent humor,interesting stetting and refreshing some old ideas,charming models,but then just mixed up with poorly written characters,broken-ass jokes,lack of stakes and responsibility making a one,harmless,but a middling job.I don’t hate it with all my passion,but at the same time there a lot of moments that didn’t made for me nothing.It’s a fairly overrated episode that I don’t really fond of.At least it’s still better than some other Patrick’s stuff we gonna looking up sooner.Even though I’m still felt fooled and disappointed by a lot.

Geez,do I really want to see a good Patrick episode here...who knows...maybe one day...

• Like 3

Submitted for your approval:The premiere of Coffee_lover’s Top 10 list of the season 11,teeming with unexpected and bizarre opinions,the #10 best you’re about to see happened on one strange and hilarious exemplar that been taken mixed by reception or simply forgetter,when people crossover into...

iGSpILB.jpg

The premise of Patrick begin Tour guy and introduces Bikini Bottom is really that great and fresh for sure,it’s never been done before,can showed a lot of new locations,and the most important:have a new vision of old show’s mondainstuff that we seem 10 and a quarter seasons before.And I,without doubt,can say that episode used it’s potential as fully and unique as it can!

Okay,as you know,I’m,and pretty much majorly of you think that Patrick in this season is a big problem,and when he get own episode it’s mostly ended up begin annoying or just boring to watch.And can I just say that I LOVE Patrick in this episode!This episode and Bookini Bottom has his best characterization of Season 11.No obnoxious/unnecessary overreacting per 3 seconds,no lame motivations to everything he did,no cheap excuse to be unlikable all of the time,it’s just a old good Patrick that just want to buy some balloons in bus station.And episode make his enthusiastic motivation really well,he don’t want to make a trouble to anyone intentionally in episode with his stupidity,he just play at tour guy and all of the time he just try to show a stranger his town at his best try,not to mention that episode handle his stupidity really great,he is still stupid for sure,but episode builded his acts like fair responsibility of his job with some naive stupidity that not going on a random and juvenile acts 24/7 like in other episodes with Patrick.I found it to be really well written and solid characterization that I want to see more.And now we have Rube...it’s might be sound really funny for you to hear,but it’s my favorite secondary character of post sequel ironically and unironically.I love prettit’smadey much everything about his caricature tourist guy character!His design is really fitting to his character and looks like a fun work of storyboarders,his voice and accent is so comedic that made me chuckle every time I’ve heard him(even amAZINng gag,yes).And what I love the most is that Rube and Patrick are both had a great duet,they mixed up stupidity of both but still had limits and understanding for each other,which is made episode so interesting to watch.

8MBmIi6.jpg

After a really solid teaming up of two characters,I must say that I really been impressed by story,it’s really cool to see not only a new stuff in Bikini Bottom,but there mostly introduction of old iconic places such as Krusty Krab or Squidward’s bathroom,and where it peaks is that the whole thing just played fun with everything that we seen already with taking all this as a tour trip.My favorite one might be Sandy’s Treedome scene,it’s not only a pretty good introduction of this location and how dangerous it for sea creatures is for a new audience,it’s take this explanation and made a joke that works due for good irony and pacing that has it timing,and even though this episode looks like it doesn’t have connection with any previous scenes at first,but it’s actually had a result in the end by all crap that characters from the start(that’s remind me about "The Final" from Gumball in some points)and then everything ended up with a big mystery twist of an Tidal Zone...oh yeah...about that.A lot of people say that episode really wasted Tidal Zone’s premise for a this premise that can be done without that,what I can say?Screw you!This is the most hilarious and perfect way to do that!I absolutely love how episode mixed up the parody of an mysterious anomalies along with regular coincidences,but in other hands,I think that touring premise is really fitting for this.Sure,episode isn’t particularly about specific mystery,but episode just mixed odd anomalies on a little apparat and put them into a lot of scenes,and this is really noticeable  that episode gets developed in this aspect,most of beginning looks relatively low-key,but with every next moment everything get more weirder,and weirder,and weirder,to the point where we had the ending twist,which is one of the funniest and unexpected moments of post-sequel era,not only it’s a really clever point to end episode on this note after so many little weirdness,the presentation and reaction of other characters in that scene is absolutely flawless and hilarious.

And of course I find this episode to be really funny.Like Patnoccio,episode has a premise that has a lot of freedom for a humor that would looks not really well on regular ones,but unlike the former,No Pictures Please did it right and consistent.There’s a lot of visual humor that get it’s fast paced and bizarre movements,and it’s simply working here.And I wanna say that I like a lot of dialogues here,they builded here just as much as humor,it’s can be neither a fun introduction of a old known location,or just an tour sequence that can start out as a simple act that ended up having some twists,like that moment where Squidward shuts off half of his house and then a random flower from background.It’s a such an random sequences once again.but for episode’s world building it’s feels perfectly welcome,and to mention that it’s just really well crafted and unexpected in a good way.And pretty much most of humor is just like that.The only joke that didn’t made anything useful is sucking thumb joke,but that’s pretty much the only one that just simply lame and as well as lowlight of episode.And even with fact that humor is 100% surreal,it’s has stakes and development in it and didn’t change own rules,like Patnocchio did once again.

This is truly an amAZIng episode.It’s a good premise that been taken by a worthy execution  of an odd,but creative humor that catch my attention for a start to finish.And even if joke didn’t really in this scene,No Picture Please handle my smile every second of it due for unique story and likable protagonist that I looking for after his awful appearances in other episodes...I really found this episode to be that underrated,alone for having Patrick that I can sympathize with.Especially that the last time we gonna see major Patrick’s appearance here...Wow,I can’t believe that episode turned out to be THAT good for a Patrick episode.Maybe this episode is actually didn’t exist?Just like this review?In fact,I started to get doubt in my own existence!But we gonna see the truth,in the next episode of The Tidal Zone...ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

• Like 4

#9 WORST:

oUvkBZT.jpg

Well,let’s back to a good old recycling topic that we had some times before.Call the Cops is a really noticeable out of latest episodes as a really unoriginal premise.What first come to my mind is that it’s dreadfully similar to  Jailbreak and Bottle Burglars:both episodes are already good and doesn’t feel like they lacked something(Former is just perfect for 9a’ standards and Second one is perfect for a normal standards).But it’s not a bad thing to remake the same idea again,because you always can add a new creative twist and humor that might be made a superior quality over old episodes,and I guess Call the Cops made this!Right?R I G H T???

Pobably the only real new adaptation of this episode is divide characters into 2 plots:Plankon’s plot and Spongebob and Mr Krabs’ adventures.And I don’t even know where I should ever start...

Plankton’s ones are not all that great.The first aspect here that I want to mentioned,it’s gonna be a Patrick himself.I think he is really,and I’m mean REALLY overhated here.Don’t give me wrong,he is really not entertained me with his lame jokes and just had as lame motivations to be in episode,but here the deal:the whole episode is not better!Look at Plankon!It’s without any doubt the worst appearance of him of the season.You should having a really lazy day for making actually smart character so much dumbed down to the point where he became even more annoying than Patrick!Plankton has no real goal in episode in the void.Do he really want to run over the prison?Because in pretty much every new scene he just changed his mood.In one scene he completely gives up and just waiting after magic come to a home,but in other ones he actually try to run over....wait a minute!Why Plankton just didn’t went over the lattice?I know that in cartoon logic characters didn’t noticed that as a cartoony charm and drawing more that a 3 lattice is hard,but it’s a damn Plankton,he is small enough for this cliche,even Season 6 made a joke about it,how can possibly S6 made an irony joke better than S11!And the funniest part,that he made it right after...why he didn’t did it before? It’s never been explained or at least mentioned,which is made half of episodes pointless.And Plankton’s...team up(???)with Patrick is really poorly executed.Episode never explained why both really try to connect with each other and mostly both so dumb and lame for the point when it’s feels completely off.I think I should apologize to Patnocchio for calling Patrick+Plankton duet lazy,because THATS what is actual laziness.But if there something that I can give credit for,is that there actually some a pretty funny jokes.I like some visual gags in the beginning,and some lines like "Look, once I get the secret formula and rule the world, I'll buy you all the ice cream you want!” are pretty amusing and somehow clever compared to the characters’ writing.So it’s not complete Bottom-tier.

Spongebob and Mr Krabs’ parts are better,I’m must say,but still not all that great.At least here both characters act as they should,and most of all:Seeing Mr Krabs and Spongebob working together is really nice.Not to mention that there non a single joke about Mr Krans begin greedy for money!Here all my positives ended unfortunately.My main issue is that I’m don’t think that episode has it’s goal either,why we need to see characters,that already know where to find a object that they looking for,just go all around,and then episode added another plot point that become a main one:criminal girl.Why it’s become more that one joke?We already has enough of characters cast.And it’s would be forgivable if those scenes been funny...but they aren’t.At least Plankton’s parts has its moments,but here most of the humor builds up with a really flat puns or just this dumb misunderstanding of that cookie selling girl. It’s not as stupid and confusing like sequences with Plankton,but it’s more uninteresting and bland as well.And finally after 7 minutes both arks fused into one line,and honestly,it’s started to fells like Katering wise of structure,where all of random plot’s points that appear before mixed up into one bag,and when I associate episode with Katering,you know that it’s not a really good hint. It’s not as annoying as Katering by any means,but at the same time another lack of focus and bunch of random nonsense that just jump into your face dragged down my enjoyment even more.

I just really don’t care about this episode.Most of happening here are been made in previous episodes and much more consistent.Even nice things like Mr Krabs and Spongebob teaming up wasn’t really innovation for this season at least.And Evidence room,as much as best jokes come on that location,low-key looks like a Lost a Found clone. It’s a light bad episode that shouldn’t really exist.What is really surprised me is that animation here is fantastic and one of the best looking ones of S11,usually episode with the same quality of substance and caring gets the weakest visuals.Maybe crew have completely different vision of the best stuff.Or maybe I just messed up.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

#9 BEST:

u0vaMhG.jpg

Oh my god.OH.MY.GOD.I waited for the day so much!Today we gonna talk about Stuck on the Roof!There so much material in simple 11 minutes that I just appreciate and adore!And people overlooked this episode?!It’s season 8 tier of boring and pacing?It’s has no good jokes?Let’s find out why I think that Stuck on the Roof is fantastic gem that been underrated by people so bad.I’m think I should pointed out the fact that I’m a big Acrophobe.Sometimes I can feel scared for myself begin fall out even in such a harmless places like on 4th floor in any living building.So when I heard about premise of episode,I’ve been really hyped for,because it’s felt so relatable and silly to me,even though if speaking neutrally,the main idea is fairly....generic.It’s take a lot of questions of how avoidable it’s would be or worse.But then 6th November come,and any of my doubts been dropped as down as it can!Because every single aspect that I love of post-sequel has been appear in this episode!

As I remember,people told me that there non a single hint of stakes,sense,or continuity in plot or avoid of plot on general,I think I never been so disagreed with people.Becouse in my opinion,Stuck on the Roof has one of the best storytelling of new era!Wait?I’m talking too crazy and hyperactive to you?Okay,let’s talk about plot in details:episode start with...

C14F94F0-D309-437B-BE59-D2D81A28AD9F.jpeg.daead6fc7751766597e48254047266c8.jpeg

...oh yeah,about THAT...if there anything I dislike about this episode,is a very-very beginning.Twerking Spongebob?!No thank you.It’s such a really juvenile and flat-out awful idea for even existing in canon episode!You can say me that Twerking already been in show before,like in Pizza Delivery,but in that episode it’s not as intentional try to focusing on this as it’s been in SotR.It’s been really unenjoyable 10 seconds of an waste of time with forcing of old trend.But that’s pretty much the only bad aspect of entire episode!And we get a giant improvement since that!

Right after Spongebob and Mr Krabs leave Krusty Krab,episode introduce the main conflict and rules of today’s premise.What I want to pointed out first is the way how Spongebob ended up afraid to come down:a simple Krabby Patty accident!It’s might be look too exaggerated reasoning to someone,but I think that it’s actually pretty clever,because show did a plenty jokes before how much Bikini Bottom’s townspeople take Krabby Patties above everything or as a middle of a universe(The whole Sponge Out of Water for example)and this episode take this again and I found it’s funny once again,it’s really silly,it’s really is,but in a good way.What I fond on too is how episodes introduced Spongebob’s "spongy" body skills when he catch that Patty,I really like how post-sequel era(especially Season 11)used potential of energetic animation and made Spongebob much more squishy,witch add a really fitting tone of the show’s universe,unlike most of S8-9a where episodes didn’t cared about the fact that shoe about UNDERWATER routines,not to mention that it’s far from begin the last time where we gonna see that here.Right after I want to mention Sandy’s/Patrick’s role in episode,I think that they both are really necessary for the story,because they showed that conflict wouldn’t been solved if help of main friends didn’t appear to audience,which is drop down any doubt in avoidable conflict,not to mention that it’s just a really sweet moment for the characters,especially for Patrick,at least once he didn’t just trashed the whole thing with random dumb twist,he just silly friend of Spongebob that want to warm up his buddy...even if he didn’t did it well.

And that I’II guess come my favorite part of the episode,all of night scenes.What I found in it to be really unique is that Spongebob here completely alone.Pretty much in any other episodes he always connected with at least one person in one place,even in episodes that mostly about him begin alone like Rock Bottom he still at times talked with someone.But here he has a lack of variations since he stuck on one little location without any other soul.And yet episode still showed how much Spongebob try to stay more positive and find a way to get some fun,and most of all,help to his friend that far away from roof,despite failing in that ?.,remember what I said about he’s spongy buddy?And continue with Spongebob’s cartoonish vibe.Episode used its one more time to help Spongebob catch another object,but this time a lot of materials for building.And this scene mixed up enthusiasm and the wacky underwater creatures skills of main character really great.By than way,At first I found really odd to see a lot of instruments and wood in backward of Krusty Krab,and specifically in dumpster,but then I found it’s kind of funny,because it’s sort of made connection with Mr Krabs’ knock-offs that been laden by a quick hand,like in Krabby Land or Grandpappy the Pirate,it’s might be just a head-cannon,but that’s enough for me.

And the rest of episode just continues to build up everything that happens before.I like a lot how in the start Spongebob made a bed only...but then he builded kitchen...eating room...and right after completely full Krusty Krab,But the whole build up of New KK wouldn’t happened without all of secondary characters that come around him.Besides a living objects,the second half add a new device:forces of weather,like rain and storm.What episode also decided to add and back is the dancing,even though music plays the same as in beginning,I glad so freakin much that there no even a hint for twerking,instead characters just jump over the whole KK.And after all of this plot points that I mentioned,every single connected with each other and just go and go farther,it’s not only a good handle of stakes and way of episode,it’s just,again,a exaggerated cartoony logic that I approve in cartoons like Spongebob.And by the end I heated by one my Pal is that the main issue of episode is the fact that Spongebob at the end didn’t solved his phobia of heights,I don’t mind it at all cuz I don’t see that there really been goal to Spongebob did that l,it’s just about him tried to survive on a roof and try to come down.With this logic Teacher’s Pests failed really bad because Mr Krabs and Plankton didn’t get those licenses back by the end.

So,how can anyone say that this episode relates to Season 8 in any possible way?There much more happing and substance than average even 10 episodes of S8 taken together wouldn’t have.And I didn’t even mentioned other aspects of episode that I love.Like humor!

This episode is really funny,okay?!Almost very scene had something that made me at least chuckled.And most of all,there a big variation of humor,and quality of it is just as high as a roof of Krusty Krab!As much as it’s a S11 episode,there a lot of visual humor(Spongebob’s vision of floor from roof,the way how long Krusty Krab been when Patrick come in it,part where townspeople eat Patties,Sandy’s ridiculous live-action look).It’s own mention deserve all of building sequences,they are really get creative to deliver comedic details,my favorite for example is when Spongebob used his tongue for the ruler of rating size of wood with"too short,too long,just perfect".But visual humor is not only humor that episode had,or at least it’s some of a slapstick gags also has a building with some actual situations,like shadow puppet joke,it’s easily the best joke out of all 11 minutes,I absolutely love the creativity that it’s get,as well as just the whole silly misunderstanding of Squidward and Spongebob,it’s made relative scene for both.And speaking of misunderstandings,before that joke I also really laughed at how Spongebob naively reacted to Squidward’s aloneness,that’s how you can made a joke that basically about character begin not really lucky,but not getting far with it to the point where it’s has no sense of joke and just sad or even pathetic(I’m looking on you,Are You Happy Now).The joke about fish getting debate on rain begin in underwater is another great one,similar joke been before in show,but what made it really funny again is the fact that episode itself didn’t let to character say that fully and just drop down him.Also most of Mr Krabs lines are just spot on,and for the most part because of voice acting,he sometimes talk so fast that it’s became ridiculously funny.Damn,plot itself is really funny!The fact that Spongebob just build another Krusty Krab only because he afraid to come down to the bottom is hilarious!Or fallen Krabby Patty that is a main "victim"here,and while ketchup as a blood device been used in show a lot,here it’s played much more accurate and funnier.Evvvvvvvvvven "Squidward getting nuts" type of humor is simply works here,I guess him getting trapped on s grill is kind of too far,but even that made me smile by the fact that there been a bone on a nose place,the rest is a plain harmless cartoony violence at worst.

Vqt4kNt.jpg

I think there even more humor than average or even best episodes of S11 had.It’s silly,but not annoying,creatively paced,and clever bag of comedy that is pretty rarely to see sometimes  in other Places.

I appreciate characters as much though.Spongebob is a perfect protagonist here,like I said before,most of focus in episode is represent how much positive and energetic character can be,where even by his phobia of heights,he tried at his best to find any way to not giving up.But even with such a positive vibe he doesn’t act super-hyperactive or loud,and more like with knowledge of his situation where he just a real character with a Sponge body.It’s not like I think that in most of other episodes of the season he is a bad character,but here he much more realistic,by a standards of the show of course.But what I found interesting too,is that pretty much any other characters is actually not really complicated,in fact,pretty much one-dimensional,B U T,I think in this situation it’s works perfectly.Here’s a thing:Spongebob is literally above of other characters in episode!(ha)In,other words,he is the only character that has a big role of character,others just a secondary ones that just appear over main object and just exist by his vision,so I think it’s a fine that all of other characters,like townspeople who has mostly one role:hasn’t been impress to anything spongebob did,having mostly only one ton,if it’s would be more important or bigger to them it’s wouldn’t been acceptable,but having such a small dose for them and having a sense of existence as a object of irony jokes is a good way.

And how can possibly I hasn’t talked about visuals themselves yet?!Season 11 has an impressive art as a whole.But holy shrimp,animation of this episode is SO GORGEOUS AND OUTSTANDING AS IT CAN BE!Okay,let’s talk more dipper.Episode basically happen in one simple roof of KK that we seen so much before in show,but episode somehow made it more variated for looking than it would’ve been even by an acceptable standards.I really shocked by that fact,but the same little place been redrawn almost in every scene,if not in every at all!There so much more new camera angles of the same location than it’s can fit in 11 minutes.But what made it completely avoid Season 8’s syndrome,is a really often background changing,like night,mid-morning,rain or storm,it’s looks absolutely eye-pop candy that I will never tired to looking for.And of course expressions are amazing,they are really well animated and silly,but also surprisingly doesn’t really get out of the picture,maybe because it’s more subtle for a nature of episode,but I can’t say that it’s feel too wacky,I see a good balance here on terms of handling over-energetic visuals and anything else that I enjoyed here.And for a finish adding we have a lot of great music choices.Usually,I don’t really care about music in episodes,but here it’s a really nice standout.Alone for Krusty Krab on the title card made this aspect redeem for the highs.

I rewatched this Stuck on the Roof,over and over again after so many times for made my solid thought of episode,and after so many tries,I made it!SotR takes a simple premise and pull out a really creative decisions of relatable storytelling,lovable protagonist,humor,that knows it’s silliness and some sense of cleverness all around,supreme animation and art designs.And if not a twerking scene,I can easily see this episode begin in my Top 3 of the season.It’s really that good to me.I really do wish that people give it more credit than it gets.Because it’s without a doubt better than a lot of say it is.Thank you ,Andrew Goodman,Kelly Armstrong,Bob Jaques,and everyone who made this near masterful 11 minutes of pure enjoyment.

EPILOGUE

I remember November 7th* of 2017.It’s been a day when I tried to find both No Pictured Please and Stuck On the Roof.I didn’t find them,but I found SpongeBuddy Mania,and how much that site getting downhill right now,I still happy that I found a place for myself where I can talk about silly stuff with people with similar interests.So both episodes alone for that deserved to be in a royal place on my heart.

*I know that both episodes aired on November 6th,but by the different time zone,in Ukraine I had a chance to try find episodes only a day after.

• Like 2

#8 WORST:

5C1FFD14-6343-494D-89A2-9110187595CD.thu

What the heck?This season has so many generous and bad sounding plots that ended up begin interesting and funny enough to work.But what happened here?I absolutely love idea of this episode,it’s really sounds like it would be fun paced and all around creative experience,especially that S11 can do a lot of different things with anything it’s take.Boy,I was wrong.

You know,even a bad episodes in this season at least DO SOMETHING,but what we have here?

The first minute take a pretty damn beautiful purple background of Bikini Bottom’s evening,I’m give it that,too bad that it’s been wasted on a low-key annoying start with 2 protagonist present mediocre slapstick jokes that doesn’t did anything to me.Right after introduction of mini friends,episodes goes....to nowhere.I get that Patrick is dumbass that make a bad job caring for Mini-Spongebob,why this point take half of the time?Spongebob’s scenes are a bit better,but they just as boring and pointless for the most part because nothing after set-up hasn’t popped up in the slides.And after 5 minutes of dragging out time we finally get a development!The very next point in story is that Mini-Spongebob grow up a new hand,wich is made the whole scene in Patrick’s house completely pointless,along with Mini-Patrick a dominate over normal Spongebob and Patrick and just tortured them,okay,I rarely say that,but this one of the only moments in post-sequel era where cartoony violence is really made me uncomfortable to sit down.It’s over detailed,long and simply unnecessary sequence that wasted good title of premise once again,and probably the stupidest thing about it,is that Spongebob in retrospect gets more suffer than Patrick,despite deserved that less.I can say that I like that one part where Patrick’s eyebrows been cut off by a mini-lawnmower,but that’s really it.And by the end conflict been solved by a builded Mimi-houses for Mini-Friends,I’m gonna be honest,I’m enjoyed the ending and it’s easily a highlight of entire episode.It’s cute,make me warm up after how ignorant protagonist been,and a little bit funny.I laugh at that joke with Squidward getting trapped by his sand version of house,especially set-up with showing a shadow first made it unexpected to me.And joke about Patrick mixed up actual situation with Secret Formula is funny as well.So at least episode ended to a high note,which is saved it begin in complete Bottom of the season.And I barely even say about poor humor here.I like all of 3 jokes that I enjoyed,but that’s probably the only thing that stands out to me.The rest of humor is neither cuteness of Mini-Friends which is ok on a surface,but become boring at the end,really subpar and forgettable slapstick,and of course Patrick begin mega-stupid humor,oh yeah episode is really failed to made me chuckle more than twice.Animation on a simple side looks great,but for some reason it’s feely that it’s doesn’t showed the full potential that it has,but in the other hand,every aspect do so.

This might be seems for you like a really short and not too complex review,and you gonna be right,because only in that way I can take a atmosphere of this episode and show how lazy it was.Fun Sized Friends is just doesn’t care,on a "dragging as fuck plot" scale this episode made its place in the middle between Professor Squidward and You Don’t Know Sponge.Characters are neither ignorant or intolerably stupid,humor is bland all around.It’s not even as bad,as just disappointing episode. It’s a sad to realize that episode been written by Andrew Goodman,when he take something that sounds generous,made a shiny gem like Stuck on the Roof,and then FSF,you really get how much this season can shocked you in neither good or bad way.

• Like 1

#8 BEST:

857q2nH.jpg

This episode was really interesting one.What made it one of the greatest episodes in the last amount of time for me is how it’s feel like a middle post-movie episode,yet drop down all of cliches and problems that it has and made a gem.

What episode’s standout point is superb characterization.I’ve see a really good job at making all of protagonists feels like a low-key realistic and much less wacky than most of season is(it’s not like I dislike that,but here difference is really noticeable).Sandy for example surprisingly stopped begging mega-perfect brain and became a character with some actual lame sides and interests!Besides maybe her’s submarine,there no geeky scientific stuff,just wild Texas feeling that we barely seen after...season 4???And Mr Krabs,despite having his old money obsession,still has a lot of other functions in characters’ building like his past navi life or training skills,he is really likable here even with the fact that he wasn’t really a protagonist.What made episode better is connection of both characters,it’s not really a first time when Sandy and Mr Krabs appear at once,but there much more focus for sure.Spongebob wasn’t a big thing here,but he still a good friend of both Sandy and Mr Krabs that just want to help,some naive bits and silly sense of humor is all of his options that made his good instead of begin ignorant and annoying.Just as characters,the premise and story is really charming and well structured.Idea of ships in bottle contest is a really fitting concept for show and I surprised that it’s been used only on 11th season.Episode always know when it should start with something calm for set-up and introduction of current point,and then moving to new twists and climax that entertaining all around.Timing is another point where it’s looks like episodes come from S6-8 yet much better,episode wasn’t really fast-paced,but there non a single scene that drag too long as it should.Balance between punishment for characters is noticeably improvement after so many broken episodes on Season 7,here it’s perfectly clever and not try to stoped all of happening just to explain you that in your face.

And what about humor?It’s nice.And here another similarities between middle post-movie,timing of jokes is soooooooooo slowed down compared to the rest of post-sequel,most of the comedic parts can go 20 seconds which is rare for new era,but,unlike middle post-movie,here it’s doesn’t full of dead air or felt lifeless,the perfect example is easily "try again" moment,literally the same joke we seen in Someone in the Kitchen with Sandy,in that one,joke sucked really bad because it’s one freaking thing for 30 seconds where absolutely nothing develop or get punchline,voice of Spongebob is really annoying and can be dangerous for average-person’s ears,Surf N’ Turf take the same idea of a joke,but has a visual appeal and variation,timing that not get too old nor too quick,voice acting of Mr Krabs has more work into in,and most of all,the matter of joke begin long didn’t ended up begin pointless and been important part in plot.Or how about Secret Formula joke?In middle post movie random mention of secret formula in the middle of a thing wasn’t even a comedy,it’s mostly a plot devise to get Plankton in it to made episode fully a 11 minutes long,and oh boy how much today’s episode bounced that cliche...appearance,timing,exaggeration of the whole situation(Big evil castle as a Plankton’s sanctuary?Boy that’s just funny as heck if thinking about that),it’s a really hilarious joke that get even better in context when you know this show in details,and even besides that it’s still a cool usage of cameo,speaking of cameos,besides Plankton,Patrick’s reaction towards Spongebob’s pun is made my day,Fiasco also has a funny part(and it’s basically funnier than anything in episode with the same title).There’s also a lot of little visual gegs wits ship on bottles,not gonna dig too deep here,but they are pretty funny and creative,especially love "man overboard"one.

Visuals of episode itself was another example of how you take a worst qualities of the show and made a it shine.Zeus’ art is really different than any other storyboarders of S11.It’s definitely look like S4 for the most part,and at times like any other post-movie peace,but thanks to a bigger budget it’s looks much more fluid and appealing to eyes.Expressions honestly barely can go to the same group to S11 ones,as well as amount of them are smaller in comparison,which I think for somebody gonna be a good news.All of climax with chase animated absolutely fantastic,definitely one of the greatest looking moments of the season and post-sequel as a whole. I do really want to see more Zeus’ storyboards in the future,they are really all that great.

And that’s just another proof that Kaz isn’t a horrible writer or person after all.Surf N’ Turf is a truly spectacular entertainment of an episode that basically just redone so much from bad quality junk that we have from dark era,and made funny,solid characterization and humor paced,silly underwater atmosphere that I love in this show,and unique animation.If there anything I can nitpick here,is that it’s odd that Spongebob just disappear in a half of a thing,but even then episode has a reasonable point for it:he just went to Krusty Krab so it’s not that a big deal.I surprised that in some circles episode wasn’t really popular,it’s highly deserve attention and praise in my opinion.

• Like 3

#7 WORST:

Bm2ivPf.jpg

AND #7 BEST:

MAEVruW.jpg

Let’s back to my old method for comparison of episodes that has something same in both,but at the same time completely different,what we have this time?Hippies in the Soup?!Patrick became an old fart??What??!?!?111Such an odd zone we have here.As well as both episodes based on stereotypes.But there some special aspects where episodes divided,first one begins hilarious comedian trip,while second is just random mediocrity that been saved by Spongebob Wiki.

So,both episodes have such an surreal and awkward premises that on the Paper has a very low amount for good potential.Having weird ideas is not a bad thing as it own,but that’s can create a circle of lazy pass and lack of any continuity in episode,I’m not talking about Spongebob only though,in any possible show that just use excuse for begin random for no reason,and rarely anyone made this right,so rarely.Stereotypes based humor at the time somehow even more complicated to realize well,it’s can be funny of course like any type of humor,but at it’s worst we have Fairly OddParents or Funniest Cutaways of Family Guy compilation number fifty seven.And then There’s Sponge in my Soup come,episode that blessed with cleverness of stereotypical weirdness from all possible sides.Old Man Patrick in other hands...let’s just forget all of memes that we know(I know that’s hard af,but try plz)it’s a good example of this type of episodes that do what they want and hide it’s laziness with plot devises along with a cheap dimensional jokes of stereotypes.

How weirdness can be,well,weird,it’s still should have it’s own consistent rules for keeping solid structure even if it’s still not really realistic based.Let’s look at There’s Sponge in my Soup,I think it’s highly bizarre experience but at the same time I can get all of points that episode created.Firstly,I really happy that show remind itself that when characters get in something,inside,space for characters gets bigger then it looks like(Idiot Box or Begging of Chocolate With Nuts for example)it’s old devise that open free room for imagination here,and especially for such an trip episode it’s just fitting in double times.What is also made sense for characters hidden in Soup because frosty above characters in this situation,especially for hippies it’s kind of funny derive to do so.And for the all 11 minutes from start to end,episode consistently look at this rule and hasn’t randomly changed it which doesn’t make me confuse in whatisgoingonhere,all of the Soup-is a trippy universe that basically a universe of hippyish heaven,it’s super wired but at the same time consistent and well-concreted.And what we have in Old Man Patrick?Patrick became older?Okay,why?Episode just doesn’t tell.Maybe I can take an excuse that it’s been a metaphor of transformation into X personality after spent so much time with specific characters and doing the same things,just like in Not Normal,but this episode didn’t have a single word explanation or even hint for this so that’s just a coincidence,speaking of coincidences,episode didn’t explain as well why Patrick stay in Shady Shoals,because ice-cream?Episode just forget about that point at all!But if there some debate with Patrick’s subplot,then Spongebob’s transformation was just come out of nowhere and has no clear set-up,it’s completely inconsistent compared to Patrick’s transformation when he had some actual evolve of changing,while Spongebob became old in one second!Even without that,how he made that?Patrick became Old because he made what other Old characters does,Spongebob did completely opposite stuff!And worst of all,in the very end he became young again,despite all of his "energy" been taken by Patrick.

And structure of weirdness is one thing,we hasn’t talked about weird HUMOR here.

Soup is really funny episode,and I mean,REALLY funny.Stereotypes is a really dangerous thing to take as a humor victim,because it’s can me neither offensive to someone or just lame and stupid attempt to comedy.Hippies,as a stereotypical object here,if it’s would be,Let’s say,Modern Fairy OddParents episode,all of episode Hippies would just laugh and say that they love peace for a 11-22 minutes.But Spongebob made it much more subtle,most of the jokes has the whole building for a reason complex one joke that brings to itself a lot of stereotypes about Hippies,like that moment where Mr Krabs try to catch Hippies with a chunk of hair,it’s unpredictable set-up that has unpredictable punchline,and at the same time it’s making sense for itself and that stereotype actually exist,non a single unnecessary exaggeration or nonexistent key to end the joke,it’s funny at how relatively real it can be.Besides hippies joke episode has some other ones that just as funny.The joke that Mr Krabs catch all of rotten ingredients for a soup BEFORE they been take down to a trash is another joke that made sense for premise but at the same time has unpredictable punchline(not to mention this scene has Smashed Potatoes that Looks Like Squidward,no explanation here),jealous fish that just blame his husband for "loving Soup more that me"is a hilarious take of old cliche that made joke works cuz how absurd yet ironic it is,Squidward that asked "anyone else down there"is also a great irony joke that made a fun of cartoony logic. It’s really well done subtle comedy that I appreciate to see.Humor in Old Man Patrick...not all awful,water wings joke is fantastic,as well as that moment where Spongebob sing his own theme song,there also has one solid visual geg where Spongebob tell Patrick what they can to do and on Patrick’s imagination cloud all of those things interact with him.Begin said,the rest of jokes in episode are really lazy,as good as humor in TSimS about Hippies,as poor humor in OMP that based about Old people was,there 2 type of jokes about this group of generation:

1)lol they are gross;

2)lol they try to make stuff that younger people did and failed;

If first group didn’t really should be explained since that’s too obvious why it’s suck,second one I found never explained by people who unironically talk about episode,and I found it an Elephant in the room.I know that it’s a cartoon where there not really a realistic rules,and that old people can do something more that just complain,but,I just don’t find funny the whole idea of Spongebob intentionally try to motivate Old people to do things that needed a physical attempt,the whole idea fails because there not gonna be a twist where all of those characters become more younger/stronger(and thank Neptune episode didn’t try to made that)it’s not funny to see old people get a heart attack by a loud music,it’s predictable and pointless scene that add nothing useful or interesting,and it’s would be okay if episode would made conclusion about that,but it’s just forget about that at the end.And then there just bunch of other gegs that just plain flat slapstick(Cherry Bomb,Brain Freeze,all of Bunny Buns)or Marco geg,oh boy,that running geg was probably the worst part of the entire episode,the twist of an punchline is so predictable sine beginning,dragging too long,and just feel a poor meta devise that we can see in something like Uncle Grandpa,at least voice acting of Marco is pleasant.

Animation in both episodes is not just fantastic,but surprisingly more calmer that I expect,which made some sense for premises is both eps.I just never stopped begin impressed how many new ideas and little details this season always try to represent and create,I just can’t even imagine what been a nightmare for animators to animate Old Patrick’s skin in episode.However,technological quality and usage of animation is 2 different things.Soup hands down take an interesting setting,this "middle tier winter" looks really unique to the show and just beautiful to look at,and visuals in actual Soup looks even more gorgeous! It’s an trippy and relaxing backgrounds of soup along with some bits of vegetables,we don’t see that in every episode,isn’t it?Old Man Patrick objectively is still really well done,but where episode dig itself once again is really basic detailing of old people,it would be passable enough if it’s appear 1-2 times,but when it’s half of the time it’s just unbearable,and I’m not really disgusted by,since it’s not really evolutionary gross,more like disappointing as a crappy attempt of humor.

a3j8qep.jpg

And in location wise episode in my opinion wasn’t special at all,seeing old known locations is nice,but when it’s all the same thing that I seen before it’s become less remarkable to episode’s grade.And if I mentioned something old known,if there anything Old Man Patrick did better than Soup does,it’s would be a music choices,there a lot of old music of the show that returns without any expectation and it’s nice to hear them,Soup did has peasant sound effects as well,but here it’s less discussion worthy.

And that’s how different can be taken "weird" or "stereotypical" matter in shows.You can get bizarre premise,that risked all of its balls to show impressive look at stereotypes,represent clever qualities of humor,animation that heaven for your eyes,and begin one of the most memorable moments of new era.As well as you can meet lazy snooze-fest with broken substance and effortless care to a stereotypical blank that in the final result ended up begin only a meme.It’s not only good/bad weird based episodes out there.We have Whirly Brains,Cuddle E. Hugs,Snooze You Lose,Don’t Feed The Clowns etc,but those 2 episodes are the biggest examples of difference between enjoyable and bad oddness.

And here’s my fun little rant of this abomination of an episode ended.Bye 

• Like 3

#6 WORST:

o7ZBqxV.jpg

If you make a premise for a show that doesn’t have a functional development with every next episode,please,don’t take a idea of character for the all 11 minutes tried to change his main personality,hobby or trick.Pretty much every person that at worst above 6 yers old wouldn’t found that anything but predictable trap.Library Cards is one of those type of episodes.Patrick become smart,ha,what a T W I S T.

Even in bad written episodes there still for the most part some marital to talk about.But what I even should discuss here?Patrick is stupid,he became smart,then he became stupid again,the end.Not only it’s pointless and didn’t give to audience anything remarkable or impressive to the table,it’s also in the second half decided to be a clone of Patrick SmartPants,episode,that actually take that type of "transformation and development from filler based shows" premise and create a beautiful and charming story that easily became one of the greatest episodes of Spongebob history.But S11’s version its not even clearly represent what it try to copy,is that a really rip-off of former,or some odd parody of it,because the whole conflict in the second half is Patrick’s smartness just blocks the door,it’s absurd and ridiculous,but not in a funny or builder way enough to be worthy to be.

Maybe story is crap,but what about humor?It’s simple lame in all perfect matters.I like some of the book puns at first half(especially that one that Gary read)and,it’s might be controversial,but I like Sir Urchin and Snail Fail Show joke,it’s indeed dumb,but what makes it lowkey funny,is that it’s works in context of the whole new show that characters watching,if it’s would be on the main background,then it’s might be...the rest of the comedy on episode.Damn how much unfunny majority of episode is,it’s not the only exemplar with poorly done humor,but it’s feels much more lazier and less creative.Oh yeah,because animation on this episode is GARBAGE.

Even bad episodes in post sequel at least had a really quality animation in it.But this one somehow lose even that aspect.It’s bland,all of background of episode is a Library of Spongebob,that’s far from begin a new location,there also at times we see inside of Patrick’s brain,but eh there plenty of moments of Patrick’s mind a couple times before so that’s nothing special either.It’s dirty,models of characters looks lazy drawn and looks so unnaturally even for off model standards.It’s just don’t care,in a lot of moments some objects or frames just disappear,in some parts crafted really stupid animation mistakes that really noticeably annoying,like library apparently located in Spongebob’s bedroom,or Spongebob read a title of a book despite its title been drawn backwards.It’s not going to be an exaggeration to call this a Season 6 tier quality of animation wise,only in HD.And the worst part is that after all final product of animation damages talented work of Fred Osmond.

vnEfNxi.jpg

T8b631V.jpg

We can debate as well as we can what episode in new season been made just for full out the space or begin an effortful entertainment,but there no doubt that Library Cards been made only for making the whole 26-tier episodes range of the season.Everything in this episode just doomed for begin predictable and bland type of awfulness.It’s still not the worst one because it not goes too far with some problems as some others does,but it’s definitely the most one which I care less about,I guess it’s might be the most useless episode of the whole post-sequel era..

HSikJAQ.jpg

SZFxLBf.jpg

HGt5mMn.jpg

nevermind 

• Like 1

#6 BEST:

Isbqdzy.jpg

Behold,one of the most overrated and underhated episodes to existence!Why people like it so much?!It’s has so many flaws that make Ripped Pants looks like a New Fish in Town in comparison.Let’s start with the premise,it’s quite unoriginal,for this show itself(We already have episode where one character traveled inside other character,like Squidtastic Voyage and Snooze You Lose)and as for cartoon industry as a whole(TTG already has episode about computer)so episode is already not felt that fresh,but I’m not even started with actual episode...

The plot is simply awful,the set-up with Karen’s friend is too short and anti-climati to be enjoyable,and why Spongebob in this episode added so lazy and forced?We have A LOOOOOOOOOOOOT episode’s where he helped Plankton in different situations,it’s just get old now.Plankon also not that better here,he act like ignored fool who don’t even know what he wanna to do(Seriously,he had a big chance to steel the formula,but he didn’t mentioned it...AT ALL!!!)and he has the most confusing part of the whole episode:

"How are all these people able to dance here in the middle of the day? Don't they have jobs?"

...why this line been even added to the script?What it’s trying to tell?Is this some political humor that Kaz add for lack of ideas for a actual humor?Just why???

The whole "Memory Bank" scene is poorly made,instead of make a new animations for episodes,animators didn’t even bother with it and just used clips from other eps,and all of them are from different seasons,with different animations,it’s looks so distracting in one screen if you ask me.And the ending is bad as well,like the set up,it’s too short and just ripped off to be climatic,and did Kaz even get what he even wrote about virus and Krabby Patty?Looks like no,because it’s just stupid that Virus gonna eat real food.And did I ever mentioned that EVEN HERE epesode find a way to tortured Squidward,there been 2 parts of poor tournament of him(that one in Krusty Krab and inside Karen,with Squidward-Virus)why S11 loved to tortured him so much? It’s just proves that writers completely run out ideas now.

And what about animation?It look pretty lame.Looks like animators didn’t know how to make episode with new style of animation and simply put 3 styles in ine sequence,which is so unprofessional,all "Karen’s vision"look like something that come from Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,3D background that looks like wired knock-off of Emoji Movie’s background,and traditional ugly S11’a designs,with all combinations we have a visual disaster that ruins episode completely.

So what we have here?Unoriginal,poorly written,unfunny,and painfully for eyes garbage.Definitely better than at least half of the season,but I’m honestly can’t find anything redeemable in Karen’s Virus at all,so I’II guess that 1/13 is a fair rating for this episode.I hope that there gonna be some people that don’t like this really bad episode and I’m not gonna be alone here.

Spoiler

jk this episode rulez 

• God Himself 3

Absolutely agreed with this review, especially the political humor part. I don't get why it's necessary to shove political agenda into a show like SpongeBob, Kaz should be fired from the show for trying to be woke and failing. MAGA/13