• Advertisement

Stephen Hillenburg Passes Away at 57

Cha

Rest in peace to a man who created something truly special, something that will be remembered by many, including me, for years to come. I was introduced to SpongeBob in the earlier years of my childhood. It sparked a lifelong love of animation in general, and still inspires many of the things I create and do. Even though I've went through several different interests over the years, SB has always been one of the few things that I consistently come back to, because of how it captivated me as a young lad, and still, especially now, continues to surprise me at 19 years old.

Farewell, Hillenburg. You'll always be number one in my heart.

Edited by SpongeRobert RectangleShorts
  • Like 4

Having seen ALS take someone in my life before, I can only hope Stephen suffered as little as possible at the end. Although SpongeBob hasn't been the compelling reason I come here in a long time, it was for a long time and even before SBC, it was an important cartoon for an important and difficult time in my life. We can debate the quality of the newer seasons and whether the older ones are as unquestionably good as we sometimes remember, but we can't debate the formative impact the show had on us at some point in our lives and that is all because of Stephen and his vision for a great cartoon. 

You will be greatly missed Mr. Hillenburg.

• Like 5

Lots of pain went through my heart when I saw the news, truly heartbreaking. Stephen was my role model for all the years I had been drawing cartoons and wanting to become a cartoonist one day. He was my one and only inspiration that kept me going and his very own creation is what kept me on my feet throughout the hardest moments of all my life. All the struggles could be fought by that yellow sponge of his, he was a great man and had passion, he kept coming in to work on his show despite his disease, the wicked ALS. Also you know, there were so many sexual harassers, pedophiles, or straight up jerks who made major cartoons for Nick, but their most major cartoon  had been made by an excellent man who had done none of these things  yet was victimized by ALS. Hillenburg will go down as one of the greatest cartoonists and simply one of the best people to ever live on this planet. Condolences to his family and may he finally rest in peace.

• Like 5

When I heard this news yesterday, I felt so sad that I cried the rest of the evening cuz I felt that I lost someone important in my life. I know I didn't know the man personally, but Steve Hillenburg will always be known as the one who had the biggest influence in my life (just as he probably did for all of us here in the SpongeBob Community). Through his creation of SpongeBob, I learned to laugh at cartoons, I learned to draw cartoons, I was inspired to write fanfiction, and I've been inspired to pursue my interest and follow my dream to be a cartoonist so that I too can one day create something that will have just as big an impact as SpongeBob and bring joy to people of all ages. I can easily say that without him creating SpongeBob, I wouldn't be who I am today thanks to the impact he left on both children and adults alike with his creation. If I had an aquarium fish tank, I would definitely stick a picture of SpongeBob at the bottom of the glass just like he was said to have done while creating his show. I never imagined that after he was diagnosed with ALS that he would go as soon as this, but I respect how he continued doing what he loved until the end and I can only hope to that he was surrounded by loved ones in his final moments. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and everyone at Nickelodeon who had the pleasure of working with him. RIP Stephen Hillenburg, you will be missed.

• Like 5

When I got off work yesterday it was so weird to see this news. Of course I had heard Stephen Hillenburg was diagnosed with ALS but it feels like that just happened... what a terrible disease to have taken him so fast. I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said, but this man had a huge positive impact on an entire generation and certainly changed my life for the better. This place was my introduction to online communities, something that's helped me through a lot of tough times in my life. SpongeBob has also been vital in giving me something to laugh at when I really needed it, and its cultural impact just cannot be overstated. You can quote it to almost anyone in our generation and inspire huge laughter. Look no further than the countless memes for the impact this man had. Can't wait to show my own kids his creation one day.

P2kUKx0.png

• Like 7

[See SBM post for larger tribute highlighting the integrity and respect of Stephen Hillenburg). Twas only a little over a year and a half ago Stephen was diagnosed with ALS. I always assumed the series would finish before his unfortunate passing (I assumed he'd live until at least the late 20's). The worldwide impact Stephen's had on animation and generations of children is remarkable. As such an animation fan, I pay my respects to one of the most prestigious men in modern animation history. I've always looked up to his work in a way for inspiration, and while my interests in the Sponge have shifted, the endless hours of stories both good and bad, have entertained and shaped a significant chunk of my childhood. He was a man with simple passion and love for the sea-life. The work of Stephen and all his writers are solidified in animation history. To that, thank you Stephen Hillenburg. Your character has left a tremendous impact worldwide, may you rest in peace.

• Like 5

SpongeBob was one of my favorite cartoons growing up, probably the first favorite cartoon I had ever. The show’s influence can be felt to this day through memes and the many aspiring animators on this thread and who knows where else, and it’s strange to see the person responsible for it pass away. While I was more of a regular on the infamous SBM, SBC has its fair share of great members, too, and it amazes me that this man’s creation brought so many people from different walks of life together. I can’t imagine what it’s like to live with ALS, it must have been really painful, but props to Hillenburg for working on his creation to the very end, and I hope he was surrounded by his loved ones in those final moments. Thank you, Stephen Hillenburg, and may you Rest In Peace.

• Like 9

I think this is one of the only celebrity deaths I've legitimately cried at. Hillenburg changed the scope of television and especially animation and will be missed greatly. His work has made a humongous impact on my creative process and style of humor today, and I solidly believe there will never, ever, ever be another cartoon that will be able to capture the charisma and charm of SpongeBob. Stephen Hillenburg was a genius. RIP. I may not watch Spongebob as much as I used to, but I've recently been getting back into it and wow, this just really devastated me, honestly. 

Side note- I'm actually listening to Spongebob and Patrick Confront The Psychic Wall Of Energy and I didn't even see the first post yet. That song really is amazing. I was actually crying to it pretty hard last night. 

Edited by CyanideFishbone
  • Like 4

It just seems unreal to think that Stephen Hillenburg would pass so soon after Stan Lee did. It's one thing to lose someone as old as Stan Lee was, but it still felt like Stephen Hillenburg was cut down in the prime of his life. It's going to be difficult to move on and carry on without him, but I hope that Stephen Hillenburg would want us to carry on the best we can. After all, I think one of the biggest themes of "Spongebob Squarepants", was to always enjoy yourself, no matter what obstacles come your way, and to always make the best out of any situation. I'll always appreciate Stephen Hillenburg for creating this great series, and we shall do our best to honor his memory, by continuing to watch this great series for however long it ends up lasting. Rest in peace, Stephen Hillenburg. You will be missed.

• Like 5

Words cannot express what Stephen Hillenburg has given to me in my life. Countless laughs and smiles! Some of my best moments ever were thanks to him and I really have no clue where I'd be if it weren't for the show he created. I know my praising of SpongeBob can sometimes come across as facetious, but I want to make it clear, from the bottom of my heart, I adore this show and I standby every positive word I've ever said about it! The little bit of hyperbole I've used was only to exaggerate my love, not to by sarcastic or "troll" as it has occasionally come across to some people. Just clarifying that, because I've said a lot of positive things about the show and I'm sure you all know that I think it's absolute perfection and the greatest cartoon of all time. I meant all of that!

Thank you so, so, so, so much for everything you've given us, Steve!!! It's so sad that you had to leave this world so young. The world is a lot worse off without your sense of humor and the love you provided, but we'll forever be grateful that you were here at all! Almost all of our lives were influenced by you for the better, which is the best thing you can say about anyone. Thank you!!! I don't know what happens after this life, but I can only hope that you're having the Best Day Ever somewhere right now!!! Goodbye and thank you for everything!!!

Edited by Supmandude
  • Like 2