• Advertisement

237. Goons on the Moon

Jinjo

Episode Rating  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Moons: I'M THE MAN ON THE MOON!
    • 4/5 Moons: Remember scouts, we're scientists! Let's behave like it!
    • 3/5 Moons: Everything okay back there, SpongeBob?
    • 2/5 Moons: I'm sorry you're a nerd!
    • 1/5 Moons: Well I guess I'm getting nothing for Christmas. Again.

ioR894p.png 

Premieres: 

Sunday, November 25th @ 11:00am ET/PT

Encores:

Sunday, November 25th @ 2:00pm ET/PT

Plot:

Sandy takes her "Science Scout" troop on a trip to the moon. In space, no one can hear you NYAH-NYAH-NYAH-NYAH!

Guest Star: Lewis Black

Clips:

This will conclude Season 11. This is a half-hour special, and is also a Christmas episode now...for some reason.

Edited by jjsthekid

21 hours ago, President Squidward said:

A bit cautious since Squidward is on board. I will watch though and critique it hard

I'm a bit cautious since LEWIS BLACK is on board, as SANTA no less! o.o I hope this doesn't end up as being as bad as the time that "The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy" had Gilbert GOTTFRIED be Santa! :rolleyes: (Peter Griffin: "Yes, that actually happened, and we LET IT happen.") :hysterical: I'll still watch it, and critique it heavily if I have to! :cool:

Okay, this is probably going end up like an unpopular opinion here, but I actually liked this episode. 

First off, let's talk about negatives and my personal opinion about other "moon" themed episodes. We had "Sandy's rocket" which was basically just about SpongeBob and Patrick doing anything but space-exploration and Mooncation, that did moonncation... In 3 minutes of the actual episode. 

This special, on other hand, seems like something that actually is about MOON ADVENTURE for once. There's isn't too much of a plot, Sandy and space scouts (Spongebob, Pearl and random new character) going to space expedition (if this is the allusion to the fact that in Sandy's rocket Sandy couldn't actually do it, good on Kaz, but I doubt that). And stuff... happens. Yeah, there's isn't too much of a plot here. Each character has it's own sub-plot and "main conflict" starts only in the second half of the episode.

So far, episode sounds like something wasted, like previous week's Squirrel Jelly. But there's a difference and that's difference is comedy. Timing of jokes isn't as fast-paced and wacky as usual in s11, it's more slow, but that's actually a good thing for once. There's many jokes and lines I really loved, especially how Santa roasted our main characters:

"Looks like those kids will be needing some brains for Christmas!".

So yeah, plot is nothing to write about, but comedy IS what makes episode for me. But since comedy is entirely subjective thing and most of people will probably didn't like that 22 minute episode didn't had a coherent plot, but I enjoyed this space-adventure just fine. Not the best episode in s11, but still pretty good one.

7/10

• Like 2

I liked this episode for similar reasons as I liked Night Patty, in that it's mostly stuff happening without a major plot or anything (but it doesn't feel storyless in a bad way or anything) and it's all fun, and the episode has great atmosphere, just like Night Patty. I really loved the atmosphere. This episode was pretty funny too. My favorite part was when squidward was in that cave thing, I loved that he ended up looking through that squirrel band thing shown earlier in the episode and then Rodger Bumpass's office, those were great.

8/10

• Like 2

I'll be honest, I liked this episode. It wasn't mind-blowing or spectacular, but I found it enjoyable. Squidward's scenes were probably the best/funniest parts of the episode, and while some parts of this episode just existed, idk, there was enough to like for me to enjoy this one. Pearl and that other character (forgot her name) probably didn't need to exist, and neither did Santa, but otherwise this was a fun episode and I enjoyed the humor they put forth for the most part even if parts of the episode here were just... there. I'm sure this opinion will turn out to be very unpopular but... yeah.

7/10 (GOOD episode)

• Like 3

This special won't be for everyone but speaking myself, I actually had a blast with it. Was it amazing? Hell no. Was it an entertaining special? Hell yes. I gotta say that concept is not even original slightest. Pretty much what Mooncation did years ago. Now I love Mooncation but it definitely took time to get to the actual moon stuff. Here they waste no time to get there and most of the moments characters are there. I loved how this time they finally went weird with it. Especially Squidward scenes. I'll say that his plot isn't even relevant to the main plot but it was just hilarious to see him in different situations. 4th wall break joke was the best part bar none. Main plot was decent enough. It wasn't too special but I enjoyed SpongeBob goofing around, Sandy having a need to fix all the mess was amusing and Pearl/Squidina interactions were tolerable. Santa came out of nowhere but well, he was at least amusing. Not all jokes landed but I laughed good amount of jokes. Spongebob accidentally destroying the moon, no atmosphere joke, how Santa's sleep was ruined, mutant hand SpongeBob got, Bikini Bottom with almost no water and MoonBob were the ones I can think of that made me laugh. My biggest negative with this was that it could have had more to the plot because it did drag at times, a few jokes were just too bland and Squidward and Santa felt like shoehorned in the plot, even though they were amusing here. But this special gave me a good time and it was a good ending (in airing order) to a pretty decent season of Spongebob.

Grade: B+

• Like 3

This is possibly one of the greatest specials of the entire series, considering this was the last episode that aried before Stephen's death, I'd say this was an excellent final one to air before his departure. Back on topic to the episode, it was all great! The pacing was especially different for the mainly wacky and fast-paced Season 11. Instead this special, has more Season 3 or 4-esque pacing but the humor was still classic Season 11 stuff. I also think Santa's appearance wasn't even a ratings trap, it was set up properly and put a nice ending to the special. 6/6!

• God Himself 1

This episode was....ehh to me. I respect people if they liked it, but I couldn't bring myself to be all that invested in this sadly. I found myself not really caring for a good majority of the episode honestly, because a lot of it just dragged. Pearl and Squidward's plots both felt extraneous, and while you could argue Squidward's plot was the most entertaining part of the special, it boiled down to yet another "yay Squidward hates SpongeBob and is happy he's not there" plot line, which we've seen done before so many times. In regards to Santa's inclusion, I definitely feel was some last minute decision, as you could've put a random alien in his position and not much would've changed. I'm not even sure if I should count this as a Christmas special tbh, since it was definitely not planned to be one at all. It's not all bad. The visuals were nice, and there were some moments that were kind of amusing like SpongeBob becoming the moon at the end (even if that was a predictable way to resolve the "conflict"). Not the worst special out there by any means, but I couldn't really care much about what happened, which is a shame as a big space fan. Maybe I'm a bit hard on this one because I'm a big space nerd so I sort of have high expectations for any space story. But for me personally, I'm sticking with Sandy's Rocket as the better space episode, as much as I appreciate their attempts here to craft another space adventure.

Grade: C

• Like 1

Lots of mixed emotions for me, especially considering this was the final episode of "Spongebob Squarepants" to air before the unfortunate passing of Stephen Hillenburg, but as for the episode itself, it was pretty decent, all things considered. I kind of like how the trip to the moon this time around wasn't just a quick trip to the grocery store, it really DOES take time to get to the moon, even in a FAST rocket (without light-speed or faster travel). I like the new character named Squidina, and how she actually LOOKS like a squid, compared to Squidward, who's an octopus. Squidward was kind of random and really irrelevant to the plot, but he was pretty funny anyways. Also, nice to see Pearl have a gal pal who's kind of an opposite/foil to her. The jokes weren't TOO unexpected, but at least the writing and the pacing of the jokes was pretty good. Never thought I'd ever hear Lewis Black NOT swearing up a storm (did the Nickelodeon executives have to pay him EXTRA for that?!) o.o Also, Sandy REALLY should have known better than to put the "Lunch" and the "Launch" buttons so close together, and to make them BOTH the same color and same size! :rolleyes: And somehow, Spongebob's jack-in-the-box ended up DESTROYING the moon, LITERALLY making Spongebob (even if it's accidental) a "Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds"! :hysterical: At least Spongebob managed to keep everyone in Bikini Bottom from dying of dehydration, by agreeing to have everyone fill him up SO much with water, he could become a TEMPORARY moon, until Santa could deliver a new one for Christmas. I'd give this episode an 8/10, only because I feel that they could have done more with Lewis Black's cameo. Thanks for the memories, Stephen! :cool:

This was a really funny special. I liked the idea of Sandy taking her scouts that consist of SpongeBob, Pearl, and some random foil to Pearl to the moon for camping. A lot of the jokes were really funny, and the stuff that happen to Squidward was entertaining as well. It was also a surprise for this to turn into a Christmas Special, even though it doesn't technically take place on Christmas. But the ending was pretty hilarious.