• Advertisement

Best picture quality of the early seasons

BeachBob95

So I've been trying to get the best picture quality available of the first 3 seasons and the movie. For my collection I looked for all the episodes, including the deleted scenes and the full You Wish special, which I have all found.

For both season 1 and the movie I actually found remasterd versions that are in 1080p (HD)! For season 2 and 3, however, the show is still only available in 480p resolution.

You might think that I should just accept that, but recently I've found out that somewhere there is actually a better picture quality of season 2. Most of us know season 2 as the season where SpongeBob and some of the other colors look 'pale' or grey. This supposedly was an error which occured when the episodes where being remastered for the season 2 DVD release. However, while most DVD's and streaming sites have just copied this version of the episodes, there are in fact digital/DVD releases of the episodes as we see them on television broadcasts: with intact colors. I find it very hard to come across these versions and my question was if one of you guys were in possession of versions of these episodes that do not have the color glitch. That way I feel some episodes are more enjoyable to watch, like Procrastination, Jellyfish Hunter and I'm with Stupid. Thanks in regard! :)

Edited by BeachBob95

5 minutes ago, BackAlleyBreadsticks said:

First off, where did you find Season 1 remastered?

If you google it, you will find ways to get it! I believe amazon or Itunes has had the HD versions for a little while. They're really great :)

2 hours ago, BeachBob95 said:

Thanks! I'm still looking and it seems that the German season 2 release has the right coloring, although I'm not sure.

Can someone confirm this maybe..?

Only the Polyband volumes, the Nick release doesn't. It has the German localizations. Only a small portion of the 2nd season wasn't released on the volumes.

3 hours ago, ExtraAbsorbent said:

Only the Polyband volumes, the Nick release doesn't. It has the German localizations. Only a small portion of the 2nd season wasn't released on the volumes.

Hmm thanks. Kind of the same story. There must be someone who collected all episodes from compilation DVD's..

Not sure if this will help, but I also believe there is the It's a SpongeBob Christmas! Blu-ray with a few episodes from the early seasons on it? Quality might be better on that, not sure I don't own it for myself.

So I found out that especially the pairing of Procrastination/I'm With Stupid is really hard to find in good quality. Both Dvd's as ITunes and Amazon eather have the way bright colors or the dark colors, in stead of the normal coloring it is supposed to have. Not to mention the notorious deleted scene.

There are some compilation Dvd's that have the correct coloring, though. It seems like 'Christmas' is the only release EVER that has the correct version of Procrastination as of now. So I'm curious of any of you have that Dvd?

For now, I just hope there will soon be a remastering of season 2 (& 3) like there was one of season 1 a while ago, which looks amazing. They will fix the coloring issue for sure. And now that people are returning to classic SpongeBob, due to Hillenburgs passing, there might be hope for a new release.

On 12/7/2018 at 12:46 PM, BeachBob95 said:

So I found out that especially the pairing of Procrastination/I'm With Stupid is really hard to find in good quality. Both Dvd's as ITunes and Amazon eather have the way bright colors or the dark colors, in stead of the normal coloring it is supposed to have. Not to mention the notorious deleted scene.

There are some compilation Dvd's that have the correct coloring, though. It seems like 'Christmas' is the only release EVER that has the correct version of Procrastination as of now. So I'm curious of any of you have that Dvd?

For now, I just hope there will soon be a remastering of season 2 (& 3) like there was one of season 1 a while ago, which looks amazing. They will fix the coloring issue for sure. And now that people are returning to classic SpongeBob, due to Hillenburgs passing, there might be hope for a new release.

I have the Christmas DVD! :) I'll check if you are right about the coloring being correct on Procrastination as soon as possible!

• Thanks 1