• Advertisement

236b. Surf N' Turf

Jinjo

Episode Rating  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Ships: We're gonna win for sure!
    • 4/5 Ships: Let's call Mr. Krabs! I bet he knows all about ships and bottles!
    • 3/5 Ships: I'm going to bed...
    • 2/5 Ships: Everything I make is a disaster!
    • 1/5 Ships: Try again.

4FaZwE6.png

Premieres: 

Sunday, November 11th @ 11:00am ET/PT

Encores:

Sunday, November 11th @ 2:00pm ET/PT

Plot:

Sandy struggles to build a ship-in-a-bottle before a big contest, so SpongeBob calls in a little extra help.

Clips:

N/A

Note that this episode was already leaked online in English thanks to Amazon, so if you've seen it already, you can post your thoughts here.

Edited by jjsthekid

welp, I already saw this episode and since this topic exists now, I will write the review

It will be in spoiler to not spoil for anyone who haven't seen it yet

But in nutshell:

this episode is really good, 9/10

This episode excels at something that many seasons and episodes prior failed. Sandy. She was bland scientist character for the most of post-movie and unfortunately post-sequel too. She was refreshingly level-headed character in pre-movie, but still had flaws. In post-movie at best she was Mary Sue, at worst, she was really unethical and bland scientist. In this episode she got her character from pre-movie back AND THANK GOD KAZ for that. Sandy was already pretty good written in some s11 episodes and Feral Friends from s10, but her appearance in this episode was the best one to date in many years. But enough gushing about Sandy, Mr.Krabs was pretty good character too! He was antagonist of this episode, but entertaining one at that and wasn't too unlikable + got his comeuppance. Even Out of the Picture, episode that I liked, got antagonistic Krabs wrong. This episode, on other hand, nails it.

But enough talking about characters. How about comedy and story? Story is simple, but works really well, pacing is really smooth. Comedy is also top-notch, the highlight being SpongeBob's epic quest for Krabby Patty formula to Plankton's volcano lair which lasted 30 seconds tops. There were many amusing puns and exchanges, not to mention godly facial expressions, but that's expected from s11 by this point. Overall, really good episode, Kaz has been on the roll lately and I hope that his last s11 episodes will be as good as his this or Karen's Virus.

Surf N Turf is an episode that does something truly interesting and rare once again. Making main characters who barely interacts with each other interact more and this episode did exactly that. Sandy and Mr. Krabs interacted with each other before but there was never an episode like this where they had an interesting dynamic to be the main focus. Sandy is a character that is vert competitive and ambitious which leads to really great and fun danger to people around her. And Mr. Krabs is a character that is motivated by greed, so whenever there is a contest with money price, he totally joins. And that's what made their dynamic so compelling and fun to watch. One quick thing I wanna mention is that people usually complain when Sandy is great at everything and while that doesn't bother me that much, that criticism is valid sometimes. What this episode did was making her not great at making ships in bottles, thus made me invested in her story. This is when Mr. Krabs comes in and man...he is a perfect antagonist to this episode. He is a shitty teacher to help Sandy at first and later he turns against Sandy for sake of money prize. That kind of backstabbing is portyayed as a bad thing and the episode gave us a really great battle between Sandy and Mr. Krabs. The episode knows how to literally entertain you with fun action scenes as well as actual great and fitting visual gags to be funny. I gotta love how this confict was solved with an excellent punchline and Mr. Krabs getting the punishment he deserves. This episode excels at a really interesting new dynamic and well told original story.

The jokes were on fire with this one. Plankton's cameo was so unexpected and out of place but it just worked. Reuse of "try again" gag from a despised s7 episode had a better punchline. "Blow kiss Jellyfish" line was gold. I loved the mad expression Sandy gave, while throwing nuts to Mr. Krabs. Patrick's unexpected cameo with judging SpongeBob's bad joke was hilarious.
The episode has become one of the biggest highlights of s11 with having an excellent story and comedy mixed together. Sandy barely appeared in this season thus far but this episode really made up for it with being one of the strongest Sandy episodes. After a disaster of an episode called Ink Lemonade, Kaz finally showed his true talent again with ChefBob, Karen's Virus and this. 

Grade: A+

• Like 2

I've been waiting for a full interaction between Sandy and Mr. Krabs for a while. Sure, we had the Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom and Shopping List, but only a small chunk of those really featured the two together. Their characters are also both competitive for different reasons. Mr. Krabs wants fortune, and Sandy is more athletic.

I also loved SpongeBob's race for the formula towards the beginning, that was just so out of place that it was funny.

9/10

I have to admit, I didn't get the whole bit about the reason for Sandy not being good at building ships in a bottle at first, but now I do. It's actually kind of refreshing for the writers to find a way for Sandy to NOT be perfect, it makes her more interesting and easier to relate to as a character. With the exception of the quick "Get the Secret Formula Back" gag, and a quick cameo near the end, Spongebob actually doesn't appear in this episode much; although that's CLEARLY not a bad thing, it helps give more focus to the interaction between Sandy and Mr. Krabs, which we don't get to see a lot of within this series. Overall, I think season eleven has really helped to push the envelope on character interactions that haven't been seen much in the past of "Spongebob Squarepants". It's definitely helping to keep the creativity and freshness of ideas within this show alive and well. Anyways, Mr. Krabs decides to help Sandy out, ENTIRELY motivated by his love of money, and even though he was the primary antagonist in this episode segment, he definitely wasn't written to be unlikable, and operated within the realms of what could be considered to be within character for him, in terms of how greedy he is. It's nice to see that Sandy managed to repair her nut submarine, and has found a way to weaponize nuts! :hysterical: I'm glad that Sandy actually managed to win with HERSELF of all things, and managed to give Mr. Krabs his comeuppance, by forcing him to build her a new house until she can grow a new tree to replace her old one. All in all, I'd give this episode an 8.7 out of 10. Enough said! ;)

• Like 1

Man, late Season 11 is really picking the season up! Here we have another interesting character interaction (Mr. Krabs and Sandy) and this episode really puts it to good use. To start out with, this episode's artstyle still has the same sort of feeling that Shopping List's did (with Zeus Cervas as the storyboard artist here, it definitely feels a bit different from other episodes in this time period, which is a nice touch). Building off of that, this episode had some good writing; Kaz actually managed to make Patrick funny in this episode, a rare sighting this season. There were enough good jokes, the action scenes here were superb, basically everything here feels well put together. Kaz is really redeeming himself from earlier blunders like Ink Lemonade (even if some of his other episodes as of late have had poorly-written Patrick and other pitfalls keeping them from being outright good). While I wouldn't call it great, this episode really pulled it off, and with the writing team of Kaz and Zeus Cervas, I wonder how Squirrel Jelly is going to go.

7/10 (GOOD episode)

This episode is great and is in m top 10 of the season. This episode is very funny, with many great jokes such as Spongebob's ship not coming in yet and the 30 second formula thing. Additionally, both Sandy and Mr Krabs are so great in this. I loved both of their appearances here. And the visuals were great too as always, loved the part where it shows the Planktonamor-like Tower.

9.5/10

A pretty good episode. Once again, this episode shows that not having SpongeBob as the focus isn't a bad thing. The Krabs and Sandy pairing was handled surprisingly well here, and I enjoyed the rivalry they displayed together. Krabs was a greedy jerk, but it didn't go too far here to me, and he got reasonably punished for it in the end anyways. I also liked how the convention center was the same place from I'm Your Biggest Fanatic, that was a neat little throwback.

Grade: B+

Edited by jjsthekid