• Advertisement

238b. Karen's Virus

Jinjo

Episode Rating  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Viruses: Stunning.
    • 4/5 Viruses: I'm still delirious, but I like it!
    • 3/5 Viruses: Whatever, just blast the virus when you see it!
    • 2/5 Viruses: Congratulations Plankton, in a few more years you're sure to get a F!
    • 1/5 Viruses: That old bucket of bolts gave you a computer virus!

tT1Hwsf.png

Premieres: 

Sunday, November 4th @ 11:00am ET/PT

Encores:

Sunday, November 4th @ 2:00pm ET/PT

Plot:

Karen gets a computer virus, and it's up to SpongeBob to get it out of her.

Clips:

N/A

Edited by jjsthekid

Great episode. I really appreciated how the episode had actual stakes, with the increasing tensions of the virus eating its way through Karen's system. There were a lot of great jokes and gags throughout the episode ("Mind your own business!" "This is my business!"). I have to say I also really loved the CGI and 2D animation styles they used when SpongeBob was inside of Karen, those were well done. The CGI style may have looked a bit strange but I'm pretty sure that was the point given the setting. I also love how the episode was basically a metaphor for Karen being drunk off her ass, and they weren't even being subtle with it when she was pretty much drunk driving by the end. Her loopiness was one of the most entertaining things about the episode. Just an overall fun ride and episodes like this make me wish we'd get more Karen focus episodes. Also, shoutout to Kaz, who really has gotten better with writing episodes lately. 

Grade: A-

In the opening credits for this episode, they credited a SPECIAL Designs Artist for this episode, and it SHOWS, given the amount of INCREDIBLE animation blending between the 2-D Spongebob, and the 3-D mainframe database inside of Karen! :cool: This is one of those more "Out there" concepts, that ends up working exceptionally WELL! :D We get to see how Karen views Spongebob, Plankton, Mr. Krabs, and Squidward! Also, the Computer Virus kind of reminded me of a mix between a "Giant Space Flea From Nowhere," and a kid-friendly version of an "Eldritch Abomination", given how out-of-place the Virus looked compared to everything else within "Spongebob Squarepants"! o.o Also, I did notice within Karen's memory banks, nice little continuity nods to "Welcome to the Chum Bucket; Plankton's Army"; and some other episodes that I couldn't quite tell where they had come from, but it would be nice to know which events Karen considers canon. I felt like the ending was kind of rushed, given how quickly Spongebob solved the virus problem at the end, and this would have worked a little better as a 15 minute segment like "Feral Friends", but I think this has more to do with the writers figuring that, they might not EVER get another chance to do something as out-of-the-box like this concept, and they figured they might as well get their money's worth with the Special Designs Artist that they hired! :hysterical: Still, a very AMAZING episode! I'd give it an 11/10! (Yes, it's THAT good!) Enough said! ;)

This is episode is season 11's masterpiece. This episode is almost perfect in every way, from visuals, to comedy, to pacing, to visuals, to stakes, all more than solid.

Let me start with discussing this episode's concept. It's one of those episodes that make think "Why they didn't do it before, premise is so obvious!". Karen has a virus and it's up to Plankton and SpongeBob to save her. So simple, yet so ingenious. 

Visuals in this episode are simply stunning. It's not like season 11 didn't already had impressive animation, but this episode is one of the fines ones at that. Blend of 3D CGI environments (and one character) with 2D animation is really well-done and stylish.

Comedy. Plankton and SpongeBob interactions are superbly written, sick Karen is hilarious, there's lots of amusing situations and lines of dialogue. Post-sequel certainly nails balance of visual gags and dialogue humor a lot more lately. 

Pacing. I like how this episode has two sub-plots that are closely connected together. On one hand, we have SpongeBob's side of story, where he explores Karen's computer body. On Plankton's side of story, we see how Plankton tries to stop Karen from being crazy in the real world. Switching between SpongeBob and Plankton makes episode much more intense.

This episode also has tons of fan-service in ONE single scene. Scene in memory bank, which actually includes VARIOUS different clips from previous episodes from previous seasons, from pre-movie, to post-movie, to post-sequel. 

This episode is just... AAAAAAH, this episode is really-really good, great, AMAAAAZIN'! 

10/10

Whenever I see a well done episode that was worked very hard, I notice it and this IS the episode that impressed me in many ways. Everything about it was perfectly structred with great comedy and action. A pure exciting episode. This was the typical plot of a character getting sick and our main character has to get in the sick character's system and fix them. We've seen it before but this episode managed to find impressive ways to keep it fresh.

Firstly changing the animaton in Karen's system was a great way to do this. CGI looked mesmerizing here with great designs and it just felt great with SpongeBob's hand drawing design.

The comedy is something that should be done differently in telling this kind of story and it certainly was with this episode. Almost all gags hit it. "THIS IS MY BUSINESS", movie parody titles, Karen seeing 10s from computer language, insult and compliment exchange with SpongeBob and Plankton, Karen's vision of people around her, irony in SpongeBob's "NOOOO" yelling, Karen flirting wth Mr Krabs' cash register, Plankton's comment on unemployement, memory joke and more to count. I laughed a lot of times and I can already say it's one of the funniest episodes of the season.

Characters are another important aspect here and I LOVED the way Plankton was written here. I was certainly expecting the moment Karen crashed Krusty Krab, I thought Plankton would use her to get the formula but all he focused on was Karen and that was al him in entire of the run and that made me really root for him. SpongeBob was always charming. Ill Karen was very funny. Mr. Krabs cameo was handled perfectly. All around good character work here.

With balanced pacing, comedy, action and beautiful animation mix; this episode earns the spot for being another success of the season. So impressive.

Grade: A

This episode had some of the most fantastical visuals in a SpongeBob episode period. Cyberspace episodes are always a draw-in for me and the fact they chose this style to work with makes it all the more interesting. The comedy in this episode is some of the best post-sequel has ever seen. Take the more serious aspects of "Plankton Paranoia" in the computerized scenes and the brilliant laughs that came with "No Pictures Please" in Karen and Plankton's hijinx and you got yourself an awesome 11 minutes of your time.

10/10

Wow, and I mean wow was this episode absolutely stellar. The visuals were the best it had been int he entire series and to be honest this felt like a pre-movie episode. Solid 10 out of 10.

This episode was really good and almost perfect except for a few things. The pacing was really really fast which made the episode feel kind of rushed. I had to watch the episode twice and had to pauze it several times to get al the lines and plotpoints that were made. Also I thought SpongeBob was acting extra girly in this one for some reason. Other than that it was pretty perfect :)

Edited by BeachBob95

This episode is one of the best of the season. The animation is amazing here, they did a very good job with the sets, and I really like the idea of Karen having a virus and Spongebob fixing it. It makes for a very cool plot. Additionally, the episode has very good jokes, in both the scenes inside Karen and the scenes outside of Karen basically.... being drunk-like. Overall an amazing episode.

10/10