• Advertisement

Carroll Spinney retires

Inanimate Carbon Rod

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/17/arts/television/sesame-street-big-bird.html

You know, the man who played Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch on a certain kids program that I don't need to remind you the title of in literally thousands of episodes.

Quite saddening to hear that a member of this program's illustrious cast since day 1 is retiring from the Street, and here's hoping whoever will take over the chores of playing these two iconic characters does a great job, although they probably won't have the charm Carroll Spinney brought to them. According to the man himself, playing Big Bird was "one of the most joyous things of my life".

I actually recall meeting Spinney at a comic convention last year, and from what I remember, he was a nice fellow to speak with, and along with the inevitable autograph, he also said "Hi!" to me in Big Bird's voice. Unfortunately, he couldn't do Oscar's voice, as he's become too old to do it. Shame, as Oscar is probably one of my favorite of the many wonderful Sesame Street characters (I've even got one of those li'l Running Press books about him, written and illustrated by none other than Spinney, plus a nifty Oscar button that says some quite grouchy things!).

Edited by Wendy the Witch
Minor grammar error.

It is sad a piece of everyone's childhood is retired, but maybe he really does need a break after being a part of the cast for so long. I hope his retirement gives him more peace.