• Advertisement

Aladdin (2019)

Jinjo

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it that I could see a live action re-imagining of Aladdin being able to work. Knowing the general response that most of Disney's live-action adapted films tend to get, I feel like I already know the outcome, so I'd want for this to surprise me. If it underwhelms, then I know that I'm going to say "yeaaaaah nope."

Well, I certainly do love the look of the teaser trailer. If the rest of the movie looks as good as that, I'm all FOR it! :D I wonder who they're going to get to play the Genie? I hope it's Jack Black, because he's probably one of the FEW people around, who can match Robin Williams in terms of off-the-wall, non-stop energy! :cool: Enough said! ;)

• Funny 1

Well, can't say Aladdin was one of my utmost favorite Disney movies to begin with, but the scenery in the remake does look incredibly gorgeous. Can't speak on behalf of the Cave of Wonders though; it doesn't look as flattering as the original's, but I suppose that's the point, right? With what the fact that touching anything but the lamp will have catastrophic results? Eh, maybe I'm looking too far into it.

What's nice about this particular live-action remake is that unlike some Disney has to come (coughcoughLionKingcoughcough), the actual live action elements will be very much prominent throughout. Although that said, the Genie is going to be laced with CGI, isn't he? Well, I suppose I'll learn to appreciate that.

I'm really hoping Will Smith is able to bring the Genie some new life in this reboot in his own characteristic style. I'm not going to lie, but I'm incredibly sick of hearing people online whinge about how he doesn't compare to Robin Williams. I mean, that's cool I guess, but like, if you have nothing better to say about Smith here and won't even give him a chance to do his own thing with the Genie then don't even bother with this and stick to the original movie then. I'm not saying I'm a diehard fan of Will Smith, but he's had a pretty lively career and has his own sort of comedic flair, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this portrayal of Genie is influenced by that.

(Also would scoff at a Fresh Prince reference if one were ever to make it in the movie...but it'd still be an interesting callback to Smith's filmography; after all, the Genie is known for his references to pop culture...)

ZFL8QQs.jpg

I'm blue da ba dee da ba daa

...yeah I went from having next to no interest in seeing this to what in the blue hell were they actually thinking doing this, okay now I’m morbidly curious.

• Hug 1

From having seen more of what's to come in the movie, I'm perhaps most skeptical over Jafar; he doesn't give me any vibes that he's an antagonist in this iteration even though he is? Who knows, maybe he'll be more villainous than he appears in the recent trailer.

And again, I have hope for Smith's portrayal of the Genie. I do query the fact that they retained the blue color since I feel like it would've worked better if the live-action didn't try to replicate the animated original's iconic design for him. But, I suppose, it's better than the live-action Beast from the Beauty remake so...I'm down.

Also I haven't heard many people talk about the Carpet, but dang, he looks so good in CGI! Can't quite tell for sure, but I'm fairly certain that his design is essentially taken from the original movie and honestly I think it does somewhat work here. Looking forward to seeing some Carpet-focused scenes to take in all the detail.

Honestly, I can understand why Disney didn't make the genie fat and rotund this time around; I think it would have been too much of a crime against Robin William's portrayal of the genie, which is why they made Will Smith muscular. I admit, the anatomically correct chest DOES seem like a bit much, but hey! It worked in "Batman Forever"! :hysterical: (And worked against "Batman & Robin" for some odd reason)! :rolleyes: They definitely nailed Princess Jasmine down! :cool: I shall wait and see just how this movie turns out, before I judge it any further. Enough said! ;)

...this is 61% Fresh in Rotten Tomatoes.

For those of you who didn’t know, I went to go see this today with my fiancé, her mother, and niece and nephew.  I went along for the ride too since it was my last day of vacation from work.  I had zero interest in seeing this although like you see above, Will Smith’s Genie has had me morbidly curious.  And I’ve done my fair share of defending of the Disney live action remakes because most of them at least offer something new to the table.  There have been their few shares of duds, but at least they weren’t completely awful.

...I’m done.  I’m done defending this trend.  This was the straw that broke the CGI camel’s back.  This movie was fucking terrible.  Where do I even begin?  How about this movie was so fucking fake.  With all of the other Disney live action movies, at least they incorporated the CGI well enough.  Whether it be making Wunderland visually stunning or making Dumbo fly or hell, I had my problems with how laughable the Beast looked in B&B...but at least they integrated the live action stuff smoothly around the CGI.  Here?  Everything looked so wooden and stilted that I sat there thinking to myself that this whole movie looked unbelievably fake.  And I literally played a game of guess what was CGI and what wasn’t.  I was that bored.  Before the movie I kept telling myself and I told some of you that Guy Ritchie has his own style of direction.  Yeah he definitely got turned down heavily here.  He felt like just another director.  A sufficient spectacle my ass, Rotten Tomatoes.  

How about Will Smith as Genie?  Honestly, he was the best part.  I’m not joking.  At least Will Smith is a good actor.  He has charisma.  And every time he shows up on screen, the movie comes alive.  Literally and metaphorically.  He may not be Robin Williams levels of making the role his own, but in terms of being the only good part of the movie, he definitely succeeded.  Everybody else?  Awful.  Most disappointing being Naomi Scott as Jasmine.  She just seemed playing a little by the numbers.  Everybody else didn’t even try.  Especially Aladdin and Jafar who were atrocious.  The guy they got to play Aladdin was trying to replicate Scott Weinger’s voice work and it was super cringey.  And Jafar...words cannot describe how horrible he was.  The best way I can try to describe it is a staged performance from a volunteer actor from a PTA school funded adaptation.  And that same description can be applied to the acting as a whole.

Bottom line, save yourself your hard earned money.  This movie was never going to surpass the original, yet somehow it failed in just ways I wasn’t even possibly ready for.  Like what was even the fucking point of remaking this?  Money obviously, but if you were going to go that by the numbers, then what was the fucking point?  And if your actors were going to phone it in that hard, then why bother?  Like I don’t actively think about things I’d rather be doing than watching a movie while I’m at the movies, but I’d rather be doing anything else.  I could be reading a book.  I could be watering my plants.  I could be vacuuming my apartment.  I could be doing laundry. 

61%.  Fresh.  That score should be so much lower than that.  Like single percentage points.  Fuck this movie.  One of the worst of the year.  The Disney live action remake trend can end any time now.  All it takes sometimes is one awful movie and this was it for me.

Also in the credits is Zayn’s cover of A Whole New World and that was a subtle way of telling me to go burn in Hell.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1