• Advertisement

Yet another season 11 review topic.

Klu

Just now, WhoBob said:

The Clam Whisperer suffers from being completely forgettable. Nothing in the episode is memorable or slightly entertaining. It has a few good laughs but most of the time, I found myself watching same old same old. Characters are so loud and irritating and storyline is done to death. I actually like House Worming but this one is just lazy. Definitely Gruber's worst work in s11, heck, I'd even prefer Krusty Katering over this. What a lame of an episode this was.

Krusty Katering was at least an original idea, which could've just be done better. This one of those episodes that should've never been made, to be honest.

I hope season 12 won't be doing any episodes about befriending wild animals.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Coffee_lover said:

Clam Whisperer is awful but Katering is worse alone for sneezing Patties scene,cancerous garbage  

yeah, though poop jokes are close in level of cancer

1 hour ago, Klu said:

yeah, though poop jokes are close in level of cancer

That poop joke on Whisperer is bad,but I can give a credit for at least cutting half of a thing even if we still have sound effects.In Katering sneezing patties been showed in a full details 

Number 45.

1000?cb=20180215141544

Writer(s):
Andrew Goodman
Storyboard Artist(s):
Kelly Armstrong

Like I said in my Squirrel Jelly review, what I usually can't say about post-sequel episodes, that they are boring. Even Ink Lemonade was interesting to watch, even if episode is pretty much hot garbage. But this episode? I literally forgot about it's existence for a while, until I re-watched all of s11 prior to premiere or "Goons on the Moon". 

Well, let's start with writer. Andrew Goodman, along with Luke Brookshier (episodes by him I have yet to tackle) are the most consistent writers from post-sequel so far. Besides a very few stinkers, pretty much all of their episodes are damn good. Goodman worked on the show since season 4, I believe? But didn't wrote anything until season 8. And his episodes were just... There. They weren't bad, but Goodman truly shined only in post-sequel, with episode "Sandy's Nutmare". After that, he almost always stroke, maybe not gold after gold, but at least silver after silver(with exception of "Sportz?" from season 10). His work on season 11 isn't exception. Even his worst episode during this season - Fun-Sized Friends, is pretty much harmless. But being harmless doesn't make it any entertaining, good, or even okay. Let's talk about how this episode sucks and why.

This episode's plot is pretty strange. It's starts out pretty mundane, SpongeBob and Patrick are having fun together on Conch Street, which eventually annoys Squidward and he yells at them. After that, SpongeBob and Patrick decide to stop their shenanigans, but since they don't want to be separated, they create mini-version of themselves and exchange them. Mini-versions of our main characters eventually grew tired of them and rebel.

Once again, plot is pretty bare-bones. But this time, at least, concept is pretty interesting. But instead of expanding or making jokes with it, episode is pretty much humorless. There's very little in humor department and I can't even see ATTEMPTS at jokes this time around. Only time I saw it and I legit laughed, was this piece of dialogue:

SpongeBob: Our world is just too big for them. Ohh, I have an idea. 
Patrick: Oh, I hope it's not another one of your crazy plans to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula.
SpongeBob: You're thinking of Plankton, Patrick.
Patrick: Oh, yeah!

It was pretty clever, funny and in-character for Patrick. in such humorless episode it seemed so out-of-place that I always laugh at it really hard. But the rest of comedy, if you even call it that is pretty much:

vlcsnap-2018-12-08-16h04m40s742.1544270848.png

This isn't the last time when I will use this picture, probably. 

My main problem with this episode, that it uses such bizarre concept, but does absolutely nothing with it. This episode almost lacks any kind of comedy or even creative visuals. Only positive thing I can say about animation in this episode is purple sky that was used in the beginning, such a pleasant color that sets the "evening" mood perfectly. The rest of animation is standard season 11 fair, which isn't bad by any stretch, but personally I don't remember any particularly memorable expression or visual gag.

Everything in this episode is so... Boring. Almost level of season 8 or 9a boring. You know something's wrong when I remember more of Squirrel Jelly, than I remember of this mess. But I can say, that episode overall isn't gross, no character is OOC, even Patrick is tolerable, and overall this episode IS harmless. But as I said in my previous reviews, I usually prefer annoying episodes over boring ones, since boring episode waste my time and leave no impression on me. But why this episode is the highest rated yet? It's probably the most smooth 11 minutes yet. It's maybe boring, but it doesn't drag and perfectly inoffensive.

4/10

Next episode is memed to death there, and while memes are good, episode itself... Not so much.

Edited by Klu
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, WhoBob said:

I find Fun Sized Friends to be okay at best. It's pretty much a harmless episode that doesn't deserve hatred but it doesn't stand out to be in many good s11 episodes for sure.

I don't hate it, but it's so boring and forgettable that I couldn't help to include it this low in my rankings. I already done with episodes I "hate" this season anyway.

Number 1.

You know, what? I realized that those rankings were pointless. I decided to skip all of season 11, which is inferior anyway and I will talk about greatest episode, not only of season 1, not only of post-sequel, but of the entire series. Of course, I'm talking about...

1000?cb=20180809144107

Writer(s):

Kaz

Storyboard Artist(s):

Fred Osmond

This episode is funny, entertaining and sweet. It used it's concept to full potential. Everyone got excellent characterization, especially Patrick himself. Episode made a lot of sense, it's one of the more realistic and down-to-earth Spongebob episodes. Not to mention, this episode tackles many philosophical topics, like the matter of life and death and even topic of nihilism. 

Kaz created masterpiece, comedic gold, that surpassed Band Geeks, Just One Bite and New Fish in Town. This episode is incredible and masterful in almost every way imaginable.

okay on a serious note...

Number 44.

Thanks to certain wikia, this episode got somewhat of a meme status around this parts of SpongeBob fanbase. But it's not the episode itself that caused the memes, but reception of this episode. Because this episode itself is anything but good meme material. It's another gimmicky Patrick episode and by this point we all know how they usually turn out. This episode is not exception. It's annoying and really mediocre. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's talk about this episode in greater detail.

This episode starts at public pool, where Patrick accidentally mixes up with group of elder people from "Shady Shoals" retirement home. After being with old people way too much, he slowly but surely becomes old himself, after SpongeBob finds him, he tries to make his best friend feel young again, along with the rest of elders.

This episode's plot actually had potential, believe it or not. This show's relationship with old people was always more or less positive, remember the original Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episode?

But the episode falls flat in almost every category. Let's start with one thing, that bothers me, but bothers me the least. This episode is gross. The grossest in season 11, in fact (besides Ink). Sometimes, it's downright hard to watch. Not the level of s6-9a grossness, but still pretty bad. Patrick's transformation into an old man makes no sense at all. That wasn't explained very well and SpongeBob's eventual transformation in the end seems even more forced and nonsensical in the worst possible way.

If episode's plot is nonsensical even by show's standards which has this line in the intro: "Who's nautical nonsense be something you wish?", there's something wrong with your script.

Episode overall feels painfully unfunny at times, it tries to make you laugh with gross gags or "lol old people are funny" shenanigans, but those jokes just don't work. With plot this bad and jokes this bad, how this episode is so high so far?
It's meme status helped me be a bit softer towards it, but on more subjective side, this episode has decent amount of UNIRONICALLY good jokes. Like water wings gag, theme song gag, line about "Final exit", dance floor scene...

If episode had a slightly better written story, this episode would've been still mixed bag, but not that bad mixed bag. But as it stands, it's just mediocre.

4/10

Next episode I will review is passionately hated by one certain user, but I'm more or less indifferent about by this point. Next time we will go to another dimension. See ya.

• Like 1
  • God Himself 2

2 hours ago, Klu said:

Number 1.

You know, what? I realized that those rankings were pointless. I decided to skip all of season 11, which is inferior anyway and I will talk about greatest episode, not only of season 1, not only of post-sequel, but of the entire series. Of course, I'm talking about...

1000?cb=20180809144107

Writer(s):

Kaz

Storyboard Artist(s):

Fred Osmond

This episode is funny, entertaining and sweet. It used it's concept to full potential. Everyone got excellent characterization, especially Patrick himself. Episode made a lot of sense, it's one of the more realistic and down-to-earth Spongebob episodes. Not to mention, this episode tackles many philosophical topics, like the matter of life and death and even topic of nihilism. 

Kaz created masterpiece, comedic gold, that surpassed Band Geeks, Just One Bite and New Fish in Town. This episode is incredible and masterful in almost every way imaginable.

okay on a serious note...

Number 44.

Thanks to certain wikia, this episode got somewhat of a meme status around this parts of SpongeBob fanbase. But it's not the episode itself that caused the memes, but reception of this episode. Because this episode itself is anything but good meme material. It's another gimmicky Patrick episode and by this point we all know how they usually turn out. This episode is not exception. It's annoying and really mediocre. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's talk about this episode in greater detail.

This episode starts at public pool, where Patrick accidentally mixes up with group of elder people from "Shady Shoals" retirement home. After being with old people way too much, he slowly but surely becomes old himself, after SpongeBob finds him, he tries to make his best friend feel young again, along with the rest of elders.

This episode's plot actually had potential, believe it or not. This show's relationship with old people was always more or less positive, remember the original Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episode?

But the episode falls flat in almost every category. Let's start with one thing, that bothers me, but bothers me the least. This episode is gross. The grossest in season 11, in fact (besides Ink). Sometimes, it's downright hard to watch. Not the level of s6-9a grossness, but still pretty bad. Patrick's transformation into an old man makes no sense at all. That wasn't explained very well and SpongeBob's eventual transformation in the end seems even more forced and nonsensical in the worst possible way.

If episode's plot is nonsensical even by show's standards which has this line in the intro: "Who's nautical nonsense be something you wish?", there's something wrong with your script.

Episode overall feels painfully unfunny at times, it tries to make you laugh with gross gags or "lol old people are funny" shenanigans, but those jokes just don't work. With plot this bad and jokes this bad, how this episode is so high so far?
It's meme status helped me be a bit softer towards it, but on more subjective side, this episode has decent amount of UNIRONICALLY good jokes. Like water wings gag, theme song gag, line about "Final exit", dance floor scene...

If episode had a slightly better written story, this episode would've been still mixed bag, but not that bad mixed bag. But as it stands, it's just mediocre.

4/10

Next episode I will review is passionately hated by one certain user, but I'm more or less indifferent about by this point. Next time we will go to another dimension. See ya.

I disagree, this was SIGNIFICANTLY better than the other episodes of this premiere week! I actually enjoyed watching this one and thought there were several funny parts of it. I wasn't sure what to expect with the plot idea considering we'd just had a "Patrick wants to be something" episode in December, but this one felt surprisingly unique and fresh, in large part due to the excellent choices of locations for the episode. For example, we saw Bunny Buns for the first time since Mid-Life Crustacean 15 years ago, Shady Shoals for the first time in not as long but still a while (I forgot how long) and the Bikini Bottom pool/country club/whatever it was for the first time period. They did a great job choosing the settings indeed. I also thought Patrick's transformation into an old man and back was entertaining. The scenes at the pool were pretty good, especially when Patrick gets mixed in with the old people. One running gag I also thought was hilarious was the little kid fish getting into weird situations several times and his mom whisking him out with an annoyed look on her face; that was pretty good. This episode also did a lot of the visual gags right, especially with the scenes at Bunny Buns with all hell breaking loose as a result of the old timers (especially with the Benny Hill theme song playing throughout, that's just perfect!). However, I wasn't the biggest fan of the Marco Polo stuff that was throughout the episode as it ended up being more annoying and repetitive than funny, and SpongeBob himself ended up being a relatively weak character in this. Anyway, this episode is quite an improvement over the others that have aired recently and is one of my favorite season 11 episodes for sure. There were lots of good parts, although some things I didn't like as I mentioned, so it will not get a rating of "13/13", but this is still a pretty good episode and really close to getting that high rating.

Final rating: 12/13

Your review is trash but I respect your opinion.

• God Himself 3

I keep telling ya. If this was a parody of Old Man Logan, It'd be much better!!!

For real, this episode was painfully bland. Patrick becoming old existed just for sake of it and I just sit there not giving a shit about his deal. Characters becoming old was always a thing in cartoons but others knew how to make it work (Jimmy Neutron and Ed Edd n Eddy did this great). Hey, isn't being old the coolest? Lets make Patrick an annoying old man.

What a waste. There is literally no way to make an actual clever, interesting and hilarious Patrick centric episode anymore. I repeat myself but other characters have a lot more material than Patrick ever had. All Patrick has is a common trope nowadays. Stupid comic relief. This one is the best example of it, If we exclude Ink due to how Patrick was smart most of the episode. Lame lame lame episode.

• Like 1

Number 43.

1000?cb=20180809142541

Writer(s):
Luke Brookshier
Storyboard Artist(s):
John Trabbic

And finally I cover an episode by my favorite post-sequel writer - Luke Brookshier. Luke wrote for the series since season 4, and to be honest, he, along with Tom King (Luke worked usually with him on episodes), was probably the best post-movie writer. His work was mostly bad in season 6 to 9a, but everyone's work sucked during those seasons, so I don't count them. His return in season 11 was unexpected, but in a good way. His episodes were usually pretty funny, creative and all characters were nicely written. He also wrote two one of the best season 11 episodes and post-sequel episodes in general, so this guy got some talent.

This episode is his only stinker and this stinker, personally, doesn't stink that bad. But I can understand why some maybe offended by this episode. But let's start with the plot.

Episodes begins with SpongeBob and Patrick visiting Sandy's treedome, while she working on her newest invention - portal to other dimensions. SpongeBob and Patrick, thanks to they up to 11 stupidity at the start of the episode, of course, use this portal and went into Doodle Dimension, absolutely blank place where everything you draw - comes to life. Through some shenanigans, Patrick draws DoodleBob from iconic "Frankendoodle" which tries to destroy SpongeBob and Patrick once again.

Plot of this episode is actually not bad, but really wasted potential. Why this Doodle Dimension is... Blank? Couldn't be this more interesting, if this dimension looked like crudely drawn Bikini-Bottom? Why reason for SpongeBob and Patrick going into this portal is so contrived? Why SpongeBob and Patrick don't remember DoodleBob in the slightest? Why, why, WHY? I have many question and zero answers. I was actually hyped for this episode back in the day and liked it for some time, but looking at it with more critical eye... Yeah, it's not good in the slightest. Plot has so many holes, that even SpongeBob probably is green with envy by this point. Comedy is usually pretty cringey, I really don't like how SpongeBob and Patrick were so stupid in the beginning. And this episode takes place at mostly blank background with no detail, which makes episode feel kind of cheap. I understand this intention, but god, why not to be a bit more creative?

Why not make some sort of "Duck Amuck" homage? Why not to create more epic and interesting story? Why SpongeBob and Patrick are so dumb beyond belief? Why many of this episode's run-time wasted on anything BUT Doodle Dimension? 

This episode not only pales in comparison to Frankendoodle, this sequel downright seems bad. But, I'm not gonna lie, I was entertained by this episode. It has some good jokes and one-liners, like "WHY AM I CURSED WITH A HUG OF DEATH", or that farmer guy played by Vincent Waller. When episode actually starts going, it becomes somewhat interesting and action scene in the end is fun to watch. But many flaws bring this episode down and I personally can see why some people in particular really hate this episode. If you love the original "Frankendoodle" this episode may seem downright insulting to you. 
This episode is probably only rating trap that was ordered by Nickelodeon this season (not counting Goons' "SpaceBob MerryPants" re-branding), so I'm don't want to blame Luke or anyone else who worked on this episode for poorly done job. Working on 50 episodes isn't easy and when some episode ARE FORCED to be made, it only becomes worse.

All and all, I think this episode is really light "ok", it's not awful to me, but I can see why some people may hate this with passion. I personally don't hate it (since I'm not a biggest fan of the original episode to begin with), but I'm dissapointed with lackluster execution. 

5/10.

Next episode is nice to watch, but fairly forgettable. I hope you don't feed the clowns, do you? See ya next time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I actually find Doodle Dimension to be entertaining and I think the hate of it is very overblown. There have always been worse episodes to me. But I have to agree that it's such a nostalgia grab with not respecting its original source material. They should have gotten crazier with the blank dimension, SpongeBob and Patrick going in there shouldn't have been set up out of nowhere, the characters should have recognized DoodleBob and not recreate them. I personally think the entire episode would be a lot more interesting If they actually went to the paper where DoodleBob was trapped in. Sadly It didn't. While I love Frankendodle, I was fine with this one but it needed more material. It had potential to be one of the best of this season but it ended up being just passable. Enjoyable but very flawed episode to me.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Februrary 33rd said:

I actually find Doodle Dimension to be entertaining and I think the hate of it is very overblown. There have always been worse episodes to me. But I have to agree that it's such a nostalgia grab with not respecting its original source material. They should have gotten crazier with the blank dimension, SpongeBob and Patrick going in there shouldn't have been set up out of nowhere, the characters should have recognized DoodleBob and not recreate them. I personally think the entire episode would be a lot more interesting If they actually went to the paper where DoodleBob was trapped in. Sadly It didn't. While I love Frankendodle, I was fine with this one but it needed more material. It had potential to be one of the best of this season but it ended up being just passable. Enjoyable but very flawed episode to me.

I somewhat agree, I don't hate episode myself. I just usually try to review episodes in more or less objective and critical manner. And this episode has too many flaws to be called good.

It's passable, but nothing more, which is a shame.

Doodle Dimension is heinous garbage that shouldn’t exist.It’s made looks Bubble Buddy Returns like a flawless masterpiece and that episode is already bland type of badness.Giving it 5/10 and call entertaining is just as wrong as saying that Annoying Orange is a pure pleasure.

Edited by Coffee_lover
  • Funny 1
  • God Himself 2

2 hours ago, Coffee_lover said:

Doodle Dimension is heinous garbage that shouldn’t exist.It’s made looks Bubble Buddy Returns like a flawless masterpiece and that episode is already bland type of badness.Giving it 5/10 and call entertaining is just as wrong as saying that Annoying Orange is a pure pleasure.

At least DD didn't called itself DoodleBob returns or something, unlike BBR.

27 minutes ago, Christmas Klu? said:

At least DD didn't called itself DoodleBob returns or something, unlike BBR.

Not really a good argument for defending.Maybe nsme of BBR more misunderstanding.But actual episode at least remember roots of original episode(Like Mr Krabs remembering Bubble Buddy even if it’s been used for a cheap joke)Spongebob as a character doesn’t feel off and act as he should instead of been brain dead asshole.And not to mention BBR has factories running gag which is hilarious and much better than whatever is even humor in DD was.

Again,BBR is bad and forgettable,but it’s not even close to be as offensively lazy and pathetic  as DD decided to be.

• Sad 1

Number 42.

1000?cb=20180809143852

Writer(s):

Mr. Lawrence

Storyboard Artist(s):

Brian Morante

This episode... Exists. It barely has any substance and that's why this episode is the hardest to talk about so far. I just... feel nothing towards it. That's why this episode is somewhat of a bridge between bad-mediocre stuff and mediocre-light good stuff in this ranking. 

This episode starts in the circus, where SpongeBob and Patrick (who just vanishes without a trace after this scene for some reason) watch clown's performance. After it finishes, circus is going to other town (apparently), but small clown gets left behind. SpongeBob, being such nice person as he is, tries to help him find another job.

This episode feels... weird. It doesn't feel like SpongeBob AT ALL. Atmosphere feels completely alien. I can't say it's worse than lifeless corporative atmosphere of s6-9a, but it's so not SpongeBob, that I can't even compare it to anything from the series. This episode almost lacks any significant dialogue and all humor is visual and cutesy. This episode reminds me of Mickey Mouse shorts, and not new ones, but old ones and in a good way. All of episode is just:

vlcsnap-2018-12-08-16h04m40s742.1544270848.png

I can't say that it's boring to watch, but I literally forgot half the gags after re-watching before writing this review. This episode is watchable, but extremely unremarkable and safe, which is surprising for season 11, which usually is far more edgy and trippy than this.

5/10

This episode is almost insulting at how it's boring to talk about. That's why today will be double-feature! That's right I will tackle two episodes at once, what a treat. And the next episode is...

Number 41.

1000?cb=20180404063532

Writer(s):
Mr. Lawrence
Storyboard Artist(s):
Fred Osmond

This episode had potential to be unironically good. I'm serious. I like many jokes, design of Bunny Wunny is really clever and based on actual sea animal:

46EE48CD-E264-494F-8723-BCFCD9F5C010

Plot is simple, but works well for show's new current direction, but why it's so low? Well, for many reasons.

This episode starts with Squidward being a chef for some reason (I guess HE CAN cook anything but Krabby Patties), but Squidward being Squidward he eventually being annoyed by sea bunny that starts terrorizing him. After several tries to get rid of him, SpongeBob defends the creature and takes him to his pineapple, where sea bunny continues to cause mayhem.

My biggest problem with this episode is the sea bunny, Bunny Wunny, himself. He is annoying little prick that has good design, but I have literally zero sympathy towards him. Bunny Wunny is obvious throwback to classic character Bugs Bunny, who also annoys many characters he interacts with.

But the difference is, that Bugs usually does this only to people who actually deserve it, who antagonize him first. Squidward and SpongeBob literally did nothing wrong to him at first, but he ruined both houses and drove Squidward insane. This episode's potential buried by Bunny Wunny being incredible annoying and unsympathetic, not to mention, he gets no comeuppance at all.

Another issue with this episode is the pacing. It's so fast, it actually leaves me speechless. It less annoying than Krusty Katering and has more better jokes, but that's it.

I was actually much more mad at this episode before, but memes and some re-watches helped me warm up to this episode a bit, but it's still kind of a missed potential with lot's of bad choices, like bad characterization of Bunny Wunny and AHDH pacing. But I still kind of enjoy it, even if somewhat in ironic way and some jokes and zany situations are genuinely funny. Bunny Wunny's design is really good, like I said before, title card is amazing and one of the best in the series, some expressions are hilarious, like this one:

latest?cb=20180401104544

So this episode is a mixed bag, that spawned memes and divisive reputation. This is average episode overall, but it's enjoyable to watch, even if has some frustrating moments and pacing issues. It's pretty much harmless otherwise and some issues aren't as bad, because of season 11 lighthearted atmosphere.

5/10

Edited by Christmas Klu?
  • Like 3