Yet another season 11 review topic.

Klu

Number 25.

1000?cb=20180809142923

Writer(s):
Zeus Cervas
Storyboard Artist(s):
Zeus Cervas

This is only solo-written episode by Zeus Servas, writer that worked on all of post-movie. This guy should be familiar to you, since he was one of those guys that made MANY infamous episodes in the past. So how he fares in post-sequel as a guest-writer? Well, pretty good. actually.

Mr.Krabs sends SpongeBob to buy/find ingredients for Krabby Patties that are written in shopping list he gave to him, with help of Sandy he visits many interesting locations and meets unexpected characters to get those ingredients. Plankton is interested in them too, so he follows SpongeBob and Sandy, trying to get all ingredients. 

This plot is simple and just an excuse to for jokes, but I'm absolutely fine with that. You can see that this episode was written by someone from post-movie, episode feels like something from season 5, just with much better animation and a bit more pre-movie-esque atmosphere. Most jokes are on-point here and I like characterization of everyone in this episode. I enjoy Plankton's one-liners, running gag with dollar in bikini is blessed and chemistry between SpongeBob and Sandy is simply classic. Since it's also storyboarded by Zeus, he had clear vision of how to make episode work in his head and because of that there's no dissonance between visual and verbal gags. Episode's comedy is pretty balanced and that's pretty great in my book. Even if I think that season 11 is funny, I'd lied if I said it didn't went overboard with visuals sometimes. This episode fortunately lacks this problem. Another plus is variety of locations and overall adventurous feel in this episode. I like challenges that SpongeBob and Sandy need to overcome and unexpected return of Flying Dutchman in this episode is always welcomed surprise. 

But onto negatives, and can I say that this episode just feels way to similar to Scavenger Pants? Two main characters are going to the wild goose chase to find quirky objects in interesting locations. This episode is better than Scavenger Pants and similarities can be superficial for someone, but I just can't help but find how similar those episode are. Another flaw is that twist of this episode is predictable. We all know that Krabby Patty Formula never will be revealed to the audience and that it won't be containing disgusting ingredients that SpongeBob and Sandy are collecting. That's why tension in this episode doesn't feel... tense? At all? Like, okay, this is a comedy and isn't plot-driven show, but conflict doesn't feel that... conflict-ish since there's no consequences for what SpongeBob, Sandy and Plankton do and doesn't do. While comedy is pretty good, so it doesn't bother me that much, I feel like Zeus could've pulled this plot off a bit better, making ingredients less outlandish, for example? And while comedy is good, it's not all good. For instance, this episode suffers the same problem as Scavenger Pants, some punchlines in it's formularic structure in the beginning aren't too funny, since they are predictable. 

I rate this episode higher than Scavenger Pants though, since it's focuses on "travelling" and "adventuring" aspect more than ScavengerPants did, which I quite liked and also has much better characterization of SpongeBob, which is always appreciated. 

Overall, pretty nice, but somewhat flawed episode in small details.

8/10

Number 24.

1000?cb=20180809143036

Writer(s):
Kaz
Storyboard Artist(s):
Brian Morante

A little bit history during what time this episode first aired. Day before Mustard O'Mine aired, Ink Lemonade aired and we all know how it went. Fanbase was on fire during this day. "NEW LOW" of SpongeBob became infamous enough to attract even casual SpongeBob viewers to check this episode out. Many started to doubt post-sequel, many were predicting it fate of "new season 6". Some fans were furious enough to say... this:

image0.jpg

Yeah, backlash was pretty huge. But how to re-build trust and reputation of post-sequel over one episode? Mustard O'Mine, in my opinion, actually succeeded. 

Episode starts in Krusty Krab, where SpongeBob adds mustard to lKrabby Patties separately from other condiments, for some reason? Customers in Krusty Krab are especially hungry for mustard this day, I assume. But SpongeBob runs out of mustard after a while and then he finds out that there's not mustard in Krusty Krab at all! So Mr.Krabs sends him, Squidward and Patrick (really, post-sequel writers should just hire him in Krusty Krab by this point, since Krabs is using him in this sorts of situations all that time anyway) into Mustard mines to gain more mustard. Let's not nitpick and pretend that this is easier way to get mustard rather than actually going to Barg-N-Mart or something. 

This episode is actually really funny and characterization in this episode shines really well! I like how Patrick isn't overly stupid, I like how Squidward eventually starts to enjoy SpongeBob's and Patrick's company, those little touches still warm my heart after years of post-movie. (and some of Patrick's lesser appearances in post-sequel). Comedy is pretty good in many aspects, "but am I?" bit, various adventures in mines, "unaccompanied minors" and stuff like that is just really good. This episode has weak points in terms of comedy, I wasn't fan of Patrick's OvErLy WaCkY reaction to "being trapped" in the mines for instance, but it mostly solid stuff. Location of mines feels surreal and interesting, even if "cave" setting is nothing new to the show. This version of Old Man Jenkins, that is probably isn't Old Man Jenkins, is fairly enjoyable and funny one-off character. And overall, this episode just feels nice. Simple, funny and "feel-good" episode like that was enough to reassure that season 11 isn't falling from grace and post-sequel as a whole (I hope those words won't backfire later). This episode is charming and really enjoyable with very little flaws, like some questionable point in it's story and some weaker comedy bits. But we getting to stronger season 11 material, which is almost too good to find flaws in, so to actually critique this episode I needed to get a bit nit-picky. While this episode isn't spectacular, it is pretty good.

8/10

• Like 2

I'm not exactly into Mustard O'Mine since we've seen characters going to mines before and this felt like the least interesting episode about it to me. After how shitty Ink Lemonade was, I actually admit that this episode was a lot better but at the same time, I don't get why people really like this one. It just feels all average to me. Some jokes were fine but nothing exactly interesting grabbed me here. Still it's an okay-ish episode to me.

Shopping List is an episode I love, despite its predictable twist. I just love a good adventure when I see one and this one did that. season 11 when its at best, it feels like a season of full of weird, surreal and entertaining adventures characters get into. I loved more of SpongeBob/Sandy dynamic as well as Plankton's hilarious attempts to get the ingridients. Zeus Cervas used an uninteresting premise to the fullest. I hope he gets to write more good episodes like this one. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, February 33rd said:

I'm not exactly into Mustard O'Mine since we've seen characters going to mines before and this felt like the least interesting episode about it to me. After how shitty Ink Lemonade was, I actually admit that this episode was a lot better but at the same time, I don't get why people really like this one. It just feels all average to me. Some jokes were fine but nothing exactly interesting grabbed me here. Still it's an okay-ish episode to me.

Agree it’s so much worse than genius That Sinking Feeling 

• Thanks 1
  • God Himself 3

You know... I thought hard about this episode's inclusion in this ranking. I wasn't sure about it and still kind of don't, but I will try to explain my points and how it ended up here.

Number 23.

1000?cb=20180414115356

Writer(s):
Ben Gruber
Storyboard Artist(s):
Kelly Armstrong

If there was any episode from this show that I wasn't sure how to feel about, this one of those episodes. It's really hard to explain why I like it now and what positive qualities of it are. But I will try.

Episode starts with SpongeBob doing his usual chores at Krusty Krab finds old moldy krabby patty and saves it from Squidward, who wants to throw it away. SpongeBob, to prove Squidward that krabby patty is always tasty, tries it and starts to feel not so good, but after a while, he starts to see giant hamster called Cuddle E. Hugs. SpongeBob quickly befriends him. SpongeBob wants soon after to introduce him to everyone in Bikini Bottom, but for some reason no one can see him...

As far as I understood, this episode's plot is some kind of metaphor about drugs. This episode feels so weird, surreal and out-of-place, but in really entertaining way. This episode has this almost hauntingly uncomfortable atmosphere through-out that helps it being actually pretty scary, especially with that reveal in the end. I think that many kids after watching this episode won't attempt to eat anything funny-looking or take drugs, since they will be likely traumatized for life after watching it. Though, I'm not gonna lie, this is the best kind of traumatizing. This episode is subtle enough with it's message, not shoving it into your face and being quite effective, showing consequences of it. And while this episode isn't heavy on jokes, those moments that are trying to be funny, are pretty dang funny. Most funny moments are coming from Squidward, who certainly is only sane prominent character in this episode, that's for sure. Ending is also pretty dumb, but got chuckle out of me.

What about flaws? Well, episode could've used more comedy and overall not being so... confusing? Like, if this episode's plot IS metaphor for drugs, then we can conclude that molded food is like drugs or something?... And if Cuddle E is hallucination, why suddenly everyone can see him in the end? Though, MAYBE they all saw of him differently, but yet, similar enough to not being confusing for SpongeBob, but still... it's kind of confusing.

Yeah, my main issue with this episode that it is confusing as hell. But honestly? While subjectively this is flaw, I can't help but enjoy this episode precisely because of how weird, uncomfortable and confusing it is. It was clearly intended this way, being written by Ben Gruber who usually works on pretty psychedelic shows.

Also I need to comment that design of Cuddle E is pretty appealing and suits SpongeBob's art-style really well. After years of post-movie when most of designs looked like they belong in any show BUT SpongeBob, this is something that I wanted to mention.

So, I've come to conclusion that this is good episode. It was hard to decide, but I think that this episode worth some praise. Actually, this episode also showcases one of the season 11's main strengths - I like how it's "edgy", but still has SpongeBob charm that makes it feel like it's belongs in this show. 

8/10

Number 22.

1000?cb=20180809135725

Writer(s):
Ben Gruber
Storyboard Artist(s):
Fred Osmond

"Larry's Gym" was acclaimed experiment from 9b, that made character of Larry much more popular, memorable and interesting also giving birth to episodes that focuses largely on different characters rather than SpongeBob. This episode is another one that heavily features Larry, so let's find out how good his second major appearance in post-sequel is.

Episode starts with Bubble Bass giving his order to Squidward, but Bubble Bass being Bubble Bass, his order is really... wordy. Customers are clearly not happy with this and start to leave the restaurant, which makes Mr.Krabs pretty dang mad. Soon he explodes not only on Bubble Bass, but also on Squidward and is only calmed down by Larry. Mr.Krabs tells SpongeBob and Squidward that he feels really tired lately because of how busy Krusty Krabs recently was and how he wants take a vacation. Mr.Krabs makes wise decision and don't leave either SpongeBob or Squidward in charge, instead choosing Larry as his replacement for a while. At first everything goes well, but after a little while, Larry wants to change Krusty Krabs for something more "healthy".

Let's start with positives, this episode is pretty funny. It's got many jokes that I enjoy, like all Bubble Bass cameos, Squidward's parts, how over-the-top Larry was in the second half of this episode. I also like how it portrays Larry as somewhat of an antagonist. As far as I remember, he never wasn't portrayed this way and I quite enjoyed this change of pace. It made his character a bit more three-dimensional and interesting. Not to mention I really liked continuity nod towards "Larry's gym" where Larry mentions that he does still owns gym that he has to run. I have a feeling that it was Mr.Lawrence's call-back, though, since it's quickly forgotten after being mentioned, but who cares, continuity like that always makes me happy. I also enjoyed how Mr.Krabs was portrayed here. While he wasn't in this episode for a whole lot, his problem of being tired of his work is believable and once again, doesn't revolve around money, which is always appreciated. Also, this is a really minor thing, but starting with this episode, season 11 uses quite a few surfer-rock tracks this season in various episodes, which is just really nice touch and really nostalgic, even if tracks that they are using are obviously not the same as tracks from season 1 and 2 (which is a shame).

But let's get to flaws and this episode got quite a few of them. First of all, this type of plot (something in Krusty Krabs changes, SpongeBob doesn't like it and does everything in his power to change that) was done to death already. And while I can say that this it my favorite iteration of said plot (sorry, I don't care for Bossy Boots that much), this is still feels kind of like re-hash. More so than other good episode with similar plots to episodes from past seasons. Another flaw is maybe nit-picking, but flaw nonetheless, I just don't know why exactly was Larry going to Krusty Krab in the first place, if he doesn't like to eat greasy food or eating with other customers in KK? (by the way, that gag was kind of gross and not very funny, but I will let it slide). Why he even CAME to Krusty Krab? This feels kind of lazy plot-point to me. Yeah, I know, this is nitpicking, but episode is pretty solid, so I can't find much flaws in it, so I have to find some negatives to sound fair.

In the end, I think this is the funniest (not the best, but funniest) Larry episode to date and I hope we will get one of those in season 12 too. 

8/10

• Like 2

Sorry for not doing reviews for so long. But I'm back on track! Today will be interesting, since both episodes I will tackle today are pet-related. Intrigued? Let's start.

Number 21.

1000?cb=20180808193837

Writer(s):
Andrew Goodman
Storyboard Artist(s):
John Trabbic

"Plankton's Pet" from beginning of season 9 was marked as signs of show's "improvement" and while other episodes in first half of s9 didn't quite reached the same level of quality (not that it was very high anyway), but episode was indeed pretty nice and introduced new character - Spot. Spot was instant fan-favorite, because of cute, yet fitting to this show, design and... being cute in general, also being nice addition to Plankton's character dynamics and this show in general. No one thought that Spot will appear more than once, despite him not going back to shelter in the end of episode or something. But, surprisingly, post-sequel crew decided to turn him into recurring secondary character. This was quite surprising move, because despite "Plankton's Pet" relative popularity, it didn't had the same impact as most of pre-movie and early post-movie episodes, so it wasn't just easy way to pander to general audience. They were going to please the core fans, that were watching this show despite it many low moments. But those "return" episodes usually are just mediocre at best, in season 8 we had "Bubble Buddy Returns" and season 11 already got "Doodle Dimension" which was really dissapoiting. But how this pretty anticipated sequel turned out? Pretty good, actually!

Episode starts with Plankton searching for Spot. When he finally shows up, we see that Plankton behind-the-scenes during season 9b and 10 he was really caring towards Spot, to the point him being really dang fat. But then Karen comes to conclusion that Spot is actually pregnant! (for amoebas it doesn't matter if amoeba is boy or girl). After getting MANY puppies, Plankton needs to think what to do with them, with a SpongeBob's help of course.

This episode feels like a straight sequel to the last Spot's apperance. Character dynamics are the same (SpongeBob is helping Plankton) and some gags from original have contiunuation in this episode (like Patrick is dog gag), which is a really nice touch. Plot structure is kind of similar to "Bubble Buddy Returns" which may seem as something truly terrible, but this time it's actually makes sense. While, yes. this episode focuses more on Spot's kids than on actual amoeba, it does feature Spot and if being honest, Spot as a character isn't that... three-dimensional to make another episode entirely about him, so you need to think how to shake things up with him. Besides, if you want to nit-pick on this name, we had "Squilliam Returns" from season 3 which barely featured Squilliam until third act and everyone was okay with that. Animation of season 11 really benefited Spot's design and design of amoebas in general, they look really stretchy and bouncy. When this episode basically turns into Ocean's Eleven parody, Spot's kids get pretty cool and creative designs. Episode's comedy is great too, many funny jokes and lines, SpongeBob's and Plankton's characterization is well-done (I especially liked how SpongeBob is pro-active in this episode and stops Plankton's scheme not by accident, but because of doing SOMETHING. Most Plankton's schemes fail because of his own incompetence or other character outsmarting him, before he can even make his final turn. This time didn't turned out like that, which is appreciated) and their chemistry is very reminicent of SooW. While this episode isn't as heartwarming as it's predessesor, it makes up for that with great comedy and interesting spin on formula-based episodes. This episode actually surpasses the predessesor in my opinion, simply having much better animation and writing. I hope season 12's "Gary and Spot" will be just as good.

8/10

Number 20.

1000?cb=20180809142219

Writer(s):
Luke Brookshier
Storyboard Artist(s):
John Trabbic

Let's get this out of the way, most of Gary's episodes are bad. From seasons 1 to 4, I can name only two episodes that focus on Gary and didn't suck (at least in my opinion) - Gary takes the bath and Have you seen the snail. The rest of episodes were simply unetertaining and hard to watch. What they were doing with him in seasons AFTER season 5 is another story. Of course, we got "Pineapple Invasion" in 9b, which kind of counts? But it still more of Plankton's episode. This episode, first one IN A LONG TIME, that actually actively centers around Gary's and SpongeBob's relationship, being actually really great and cute. 

Episode starts with SpongeBob lamenting that he can't understand Gary that well (which is a bunch of barnacles, considering that he perfectly understands Gary in other episodes, EVEN IN THIS SAME VERY SEASON, but I will let it slide, it's not that major contiunuty error or anything), but after Gary points out to commercial of snail translation collar, SpongeBob immediatly orders it. Gary quickly gets used to be understood by others and everything goes fine, until SpongeBob decides to show how Gary talks to Squidward...

This episode destroys one of the my main gripes with most Gary's episodes. In most Gary's episodes conflict is happening because of miscommunitcation, which is tiring and makes very little sense in context of other episodes. This episode actually adresses SpongeBob's inability to undestand his pet and fixes this problem. This is a very good work on mistakes and I hope this translation collar will be a thing in some later episodes, since it wasn't thrown away or something in the end of this episode and post-sequel crew sure loves to make call-backs. Comedy in this episode was heavily dialogue based and while we got some visual gags, it was mainly about talking, which is nice change of pace. Besides climax, most of this episode is quite relaxed, which is also nice change of pace. Gary's characterization is perfect and cute, I loved how he called SpongeBob "Papa Bob". I legit "awwwed" at this moment. Characterizaton of SpongeBob is nice as well, while I still not really liking that "If only you could talk like a person" plot-point. They could got around getting this collar because of other reason. And while I enjoy this episode relaxed atmosphere and comedy, this episode could've been a bit funnier. Still, really nice and moderately funny experience, with great call-backs to boot.

8/10

• Like 2

Larry the Floor Managar wasn't as successful as Larry's Gym but it was another nice attempt to flesh out Larry more as a character and I appreciated it.

Cuddle E Hugs wan't great but i was entertained by its craziness enough.

Spot Returns was a funny and cute sequel to Plankton's Pet.

ChatterBox Gary is a great episode that boosts Gary as a character and his dynamic with SpongeBob and Squidward was such a great antagonist that he got his karma at the end.

sorry for a long wait, but laziness, anxiety and my comic kinda made me forger about this little topic of mine

let's continue it, shall we?

We are getting closer and closer to my top 10 and epiosodes only keep getting better. Next one is...

Number 19.

1000?cb=20181028163915

Writer(s):
Andrew Goodman
John Trabbic

Storyboard Artist(s):
John Trabbic

Post-sequel was acccused, more often than not, in pandering to pre-movie fans with various references to older episodes, cameos of fan-favorite characters etc. Post-sequel did that from the start, from 9b no less, making references not only to pre-movie and to itself (I mean, to post-sequel), but to post-movie as well (I will get to that one particular example a bit later). Doodle Dimension's reception was mixed, to say the least. Many loved or at least, liked this episode, others hated it to the point of calling it one of the worst in the series. After Doodle Dimension, BubbleTown seemed like a genuinely bad idea. We already had "new" Bubble Buddy episode in the past, Bubble Buddy Returns from s8, which was awful. And since DD is kinda bad, many people assumed that post-sequel has no idea how to make this kind of fan-service properly, or, at least, make it the center of the episode. Surprisingly, BubbleTown was pretty darn good and, sorry for controversial opinion, I... Kinda prefer to the original. Original Bubble Buddy is a classic, but still one of the weaker season 2 episodes. This episode, on other hand, uses "bubble" aesthetic to the fullest potential.

Plot of this episode is simple, after exploring afromentioned BubbleTown, SpongeBob meets with Bubble Buddy and helps him with his car, SpongeBob tries to help everyone in BubbleTown, but accidently destroys half of it in the process (buildings and bubble-people included). Krabs goes to get SpongeBob out of bubble jail, since Krusty Krab is packed with hungry customers with no one to cook.

This episode is hilariously dark. It's not level of "Nasty Patty" of dark comedy, but this episode still uses it to the fullest potential. How casually Krabs makes genocide of almost ENTIRE RACE OF BUBBLE PEOPLE is dark, but portrayed still in funny and tasteful manner, so it works really well. This episode also works in world-building department, showing us BubbleTown, how it's functions and stuff like that. It's really interesting to watch, this intro sequence that was done in style of "Krusty Krab Training Video", was brilliant way to establish new location. Even though episode felt a tad weird with this kind of intro. It just starts with this "excursion" to BubbleTown, without any context to why SpongeBob is here exactly. But it's just nit-picking really. THE REAL flaw of this episode is different one. Pacing. Pacing in this episode is REALLY uneven. SpongeBob popping BubbleTown sequence is hilarious, but went a bit too long for it's own good. Episode also feels pretty... aimless. At first there's that "introduction" video to BubbleTown. Then SpongeBob is helping people. Then genocide. Then Krusty Krab shenaningans. Then another genocide. And that... weird and out-of-place ending. 

While episode is funny, creative, visually very pleasing, it has structural and plot problems. I enjoy it a lot, but it's still pretty flawed in significant areas. Even still, this episode does so many things great, I can overlook those flaws.

8/10

Number 18.

1000?cb=20180809135547

Writer(s):
Kaz
Storyboard Artist(s):
John Trabbic

This is somehow one of the most hated season 11 episodes. ...Why? Just, why? I legit don't undestand why this episode isn't liked at all. And I will list all reasons why it's good, or, at least, isn't worse than it's predessesor - Mermaid Pants from s10.

Plot of this one is fairly simple, Squidward goes and vacation and rents his house to certain guest, that appears to be Man Ray. SpongeBob and Patrick, thinking that Man Ray is up to no good, decide to fight him and save the day.

Main critisism of this episode is Man Ray's treatment. That it's somehow bad, because he meant no harm on his vacation. ...are you serious? HE IS VILLAIN. VILLAIN WHO DOES EVIL STUFF. Why Patrick and SpongeBob should assume that he is just having a vaccation if he did many evil things in the past? The ending of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III doesn't count, this show has zero continuity, and in his next appearance, Man Ray was evil again. SpongeBob and Patrick had all reasons to attack him. Comparing this episode to stuff from season 6, to "Shuffleboarding" no less, is laughable. SpongeBob and Patrick have mostly no motivation to do things they are doing, (except their warped vision of justice in "Shuffleboarding" that supposed to be funny somehow), this episode clearly gives believable motivation to both of them. And it's not like Man Ray suffered much anyway. Did you forgot true "torture" of characters, re-watch "Choir Boys" or something.

Moving from that, let's talk about what I find good in this episode. This episode has fairly great comedy. I liked that, more risque gag with bra in the beginning, "EVIL NEVER TAKES A VACATION" line is legit epic and Man Ray himself is written pretty well. He is charismatic and funny as awlays. This episode also one of the finest examples of how post-sequel has spectacular animation. Battle between Man Ray and SpongeBob/Patrick. Great expressions, fluid movement, slapstick has true PUNCH to it. Memorable and cheesy one-liners, great scene, makes this episode worth watching at least because of it.  Episode is also quite an improvement over original "MermaidPants", this episode has REAL villain for SpongeBob and Patrick and feels more like and adventure. 

Episode has it flaws though. Beginning of the episode had some lame parts, like Patrick screaming. And ending with Squidward's house being destroyed is so EH. And also, it didn't fixed some issues from original "MermaidPants" episode. While it this episode gives motivation to SB and Pat to do what they are doing, they are still too oblivious and naive for their own good. It's not THAT frustrating, but this episode has this problem to an extent.

But otherwise, this is a pretty solid episode. With great action, one-liners and awesome appearance from Man Ray, this episode is definetly an improvement of this "MermaidPants" series. I hope s12 Mermaid Pants episode will be close, or even better, in terms of quality.

8/10

• Like 4

Yeah, I just can't get into Man Ray Returns. Yes, Man Ray was a villain but clearly he just wanted to have a nice vacation. He didn't plan an evil scheme or anything. What SpongeBob and Patrick does makes sense but I find them annoying throughout not because they harm Man Ray, because they are oblivious and annoying. The episode wasn't bad however because climax still got some entertainment and I gotta admit EVIL NEVER TAKES A VACATION was a fine gag. One nitpick I'll give is that I didn't like how Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy was treated here. It felt like a forced fan service and it was distasteful. Nevertheless, the episode was nothing but a mediocre piece to me but I understand the appeal.

Bubbletown was soooo good. Great world building and hilarious dark comedy. I agree about pacing and a plot with no direction. Rest was sweet and a good sequel to Bubble Buddy. 

• Like 1

ok i think no one really cares that much about this topic anymore but for the sake of completion i will complete it

ahem

sorry for the wait any poor soul that liked to read my reviews

i got side-tracked with many things

from briefly not that much caring about spongebob because of certain other nicktoon

to just being lazy

but this shit has to STOP

so finally we are going to beginning of end

of this ranking, that is

Let's get started!

Number 17.

1000?cb=20180808193952

Writer(s):
Andrew Goodman
Storyboard Artist(s):
John Trabbic

You know what post-movie did absolutely horribly? Well, s6-9a, that is. Squidward and SpongeBob dynamic. It was one of the absolute best parts of the show's first seasons, but since season 6 it was damaged badly. SpongeBob was turned into creepy stalker and Squidward was turned into one-dimensional grumpy character with no charisma or any other characteristics. 

But some of the finest season 11 episode revolve around this pair of characters in particular. Let's see why this episode works and why it in some ways doesn't.

Premise is simple, entire Krusty Krew is going through check-up, but Mr.Krabs is too afraid to take it and hides from the nurse. But if Mr.Krabs won't complete his check-up Krusty Krab will be closed forever! So it's up to Squidward and SpongeBob to take Mr.Krabs' check-up and make it secretly, for Krabs not to realize it.

This was one of the first episodes aired in season 11 and it honestly showed a big difference compared to then new season 10. Dialogue and visual humor was balanced, characters were written properly and plot has some clever twists and turns in it. While not entiety of season 11 will stay like that and it will occasionally slip back into wackier and visual-gag based formula of season 10, this episode convinced many that post-sequel crew indeed was improving their craft and perfecting new for this show style. Comedy is indeed quite good in this episode, it has many memorable lines and dialogue exchanges ("You seem fine. Physically, at least.") 

But what makes this episode truly shine is Squidward and SpongeBob dynamic. They feel like true friends, or at least, good co-workers, which is much more in-line with their pre-movie portrayal, where they could occasionally team-up for a good cause. They bounce off each other perfectly and it's just so nice seeing Squidward that isn't scared of SpongeBob beyond any reason or SpongeBob behaving like a stalker. It's just delightful to see them both on-screen this episode, which is I can applaud for. This dynamic pretty much stays in most of season 11 and I really enjoy this approach to their interactions, since old shtick of "Squidward just plainly hating SpongeBob" was getting really old.

If I had to explain why this episode isn't higher, I can give you a few reasons. First of all, there's just more episodes in the season that better in every way imaginable. Not that this episode does anything wrong, but season 11 has higher highs than this. And if I had to nitpick, I'd called Mr.Krabs himself the biggest problem in this episode. It's never elaborated on why Mr.Krabs is afraid of check-ups and some of slapstick can be a bit too far (yes, I'm STILL NOT OVER THAT TEETH SCENE). But SpongeBob isn't plot-driven show, so I can forgive that writers make blatant "excuse plots" to justify the gags. Besides, I'm all for using Mr.Krabs in plot-lines that have nothing to do with money.

Really solid and high 8/10.

• Like 7

Number 16.

1000?cb=20180215141957

Guest(s):
Laraine Newman as Grandma Plankton
Writer(s):
Mr. Lawrence
Storyboard Artist(s):
John Trabbic

Post-sequel is known for much tighter continuty than any other era of this show to date. Making reference to past episodes and bringing back old characters. Usually those characters are from pre-movie era, which is more or less seems normal. Pre-movie is the most beloved and known era of SpongeBob, so bringing back characters from it will be wise decision of getting some attention from more casual audience, so this episode stick out in particular. It revolves around Plankton's Grandma - Lily. Character that was introduced in not particularly liked or remembered season 7 episode - Grandma's Secret Recipe, mediocre rip-off of Imitation Krabs, one of many that were created during season 7. So decision of bringing such unknown character from relatively hated episode boggled everyone's mind... and kinda intrigued too. 

This episode's plot is simple and really similar to Squilliam Returns. Plankton promised his grandma to own Krusty Krab by her 90th birthday and teams-up with Krusty Krew to not disappoint her, without any tricks or evil schemes.

This plot is cliched and was already done, not just in "SpongeBob", but in general, so why is this episode is so high on the list? Because of great writing. As much as I adore new show's direction with trippy plots and visual gags, I miss more character-driven stories of the past, and this is easily one of the most character-focused episodes of the season. Most of the comedy comes from character interactions between SpongeBob, Squidward, Krabs, Plankton and his Grandma, which are mostly hilarious. The best character, strangely enough, is Lily herself. She is really memorable and her voice actress (i don't remember if she was in character's debut episode or not) brought whole new level of charisma to her. Sub-plot of Lily loving Squidward is pretty hilarious and I honestly wish Lily to return in future post-sequel episodes, since there is potential for more stories to tell with her. But easily the best part about whole thing is plot-twist. This episode legit subverted my expectations, making not Plankton the main antagonist but his grandma, which while was a bit sarcastic, seemed like a harmless person. Instead of "liar revealed" ending or "something goes wrong for Plankton and he is exposed" ending, we get neither and Plankton somewhat won in the end, making his grandma's birthday truly special. 
Episodes shines not just in terms of writing and characterization, but also in terms of visuals. Usually I don't really bring this up, since visuals in s11 are godly by default, but I really enjoyed Krusty Krab's transformation into Plankton's restaurant.

latest?cb=20180217030000

latest?cb=20180217025958

Episode does have flaws, like a said, initial premise is pretty dang cliched and scene where SpongeBob playing with the sign is pretty annoying and drawn-out, but in general, it's really well-done episode, which accomplished almost impossible feat - it made mediocre character from mediocre episode into something great. 

First 9/10 of the list.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, WhoBob said:

>Plankton promised his grandma to own Krusty Krab by her 20th birthday

Damn she never aged a bit.

Epic typo i got there