• Advertisement

Yet another season 11 review topic.

Klu

Season 11 is coming to the close very soon. Nickelodeon is planning to finish the season before the end of this year and start airing season 12. In honor of such events, I want to make my very own review topic of every season 11 episode, no matter how awful or godly they are.

To make things a bit more interesting, I'll review episodes not in the chronological order, but, from my personal opinion, from the absolute worst to the very best, like no one ever was.

But, unlike many other seasons in this show, season 11 is unpredictable. While, second half of the season is more consistently good, than the first, I wouldn't be surprised that one of the worst episodes or on contrary, best episodes, will debut at the end of the season. So, if my opinion will change (if somehow this season will produce something better than godly Pat the Horse, than obviously it won't be the number one anymore), I'll just edit the list.

Enough with the introductions, let's start the list, shall we?

Ahem.

Klu's ranking of all Season 11 episodes, from the worst to the best.

Number 50.

Ink_Lemonade.1538837795.png

Writer(s):

Kaz

Storyboard Artist(s):

Kelly Armstrong

I don't think that this pick for the worst episode in the season is surprising to anyone. After all, many, myself included, think that this episode not only the worst in post-sequel era, but also one of the worst episodes in the entire series. Nobody thought that episode this bad will ever be made, but here we are. 

The plot of this piece of shrimp episode is rather simple. Patrick wants to sell lemonade, but since his last brain cells were destroyed by Kaz himself, apparently, instead of lemonade he sells just glasses of water. After some pretty annoying shenanigans with SpongeBob and Patrick screaming in the megaphone, Squidward accidentally sprays ink from his nose. Patrick, being absolute genius in this episode, tries to use Squid's ink in his "lemonade". SpongeBob and other bikini-bottomites find this lemonade delicious, Patrick's lemonade stand becomes pretty popular, so, to make more lemonade, Patrick scares Squidward trough-out the episode.

You know the episode is bad, when even the basic concept sounds pretty awful and gross. Many detractors of season 11 like to say that post-sequel SpongeBob tries too hard to be "Ren and Stimpy". Usually, I don't agree with them, but this episode is pretty close to "Ren and Stimpy" both in concept and grossness. This type of story just doesn't belong in SpongeBob, no matter the execution. Many other bad SpongeBob episodes have an interesting concept, but terrible execution, post-sequel time and time again uses similar concepts to those infamous episodes and does something interesting with them. Mimic Madness is much better version of Face Freeze, Plankton Paranoia is also similar to One Coarse Meal, but better in every way imaginable. Even Sportz, one of the recent stinkers, had potential for something great, if only it had better writing. But Ink Lemonade? This episode simply had no chance being good. But that's just discussion of BASIC PREMISE. Let's talk about more obvious flaws.

Like Patrick.

Oh, Patrick... What Kaz did to you? Season 11 has many instances of awful Patrick appearances, but this episode takes the cake. Usually, he's just annoying and stupid beyond any reason. But this episode not only makes him really stupid, but also dumb but also really malicious. This side of Patrick didn't appear in the show in a long time and I doubt that anyone was hoping for it's return. Patrick here is so OOC, that I start to think that originally Kaz wanted to use Mr.Krabs in this episode, but soon realized that didn't suited for this type of story. Neither did Patrick, but Patrick is so lol dumb that everyone can forgive that.

No. No one can.

Okay, Patrick is really annoying and malicious, but at least comedy is good?.. No. It's also garbage. Unlike Out of the Picture, which was pretty hilarious episode, but has terrible Mr.Krabs, this episode has no redeeming quality like that. Comedy in this episode is either WaCkY expessions, screaming by SpongeBob and Patrick (and Squidward) or gross-out humor. What a combo! No memorable witty lines of dialogue, creative visuals or even amusing situations, this episode is just really-really boring and noisy when it's isn't awful.

You know, this episode is so bad, that I can say for sure that the rest of s11 just can't bring something worse to the table. (I hope that this words won't be backfire later) This episode simply has no redeeming qualities, starting from bad premise, finishing with non-existing comedy and awful character writing. Kaz later redeems itself, but it's even more interesting to think about, how this episode even came to be? Like, I'm genuinely curious. While Kaz isn't the best writer in this season, even his mediocre episodes has more going for than that garbage. But well, we will probably never know.

At the end, I just can't say anything more about this episode. I want, but I can't. It is bad, but also has almost no substance. This episode is soulless garbage and unfortunate reminder, that despite of all good recent episode bring, SpongeBob is on the air for far too long.

0/10

Thanks for reading, I hope that you enjoyed this review.

Next time, I will review Patrick episode that can function without Patrick. See ya!

Edited by Klu
  • Like 4

The only good eps from season 11 are Ink Lemonade, Bunny Hunt, Pat the Horse, and Plankton Paranoia.

If Nick is serious about ending the season next month, I'd suggest you wait. For all we know, Goons on the Moon or The String could somehow be worse. Also I'm pretty sure this and my review are the only season 11 review pages on the site (btw my reviews are still active, I just have to go write them).

Ink is bottom 25 trash, but I'm still not sold on it being the worst episode ever. I can still appreciate the anmation at times, and while it is pretty sadistic, I still find Squid's Visit to be more disgusting. Ink goes randomly to some part about selling ink lemonade, breaking out of the sadistic or stupid rest of the episode, while Squid's Visit runs with it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hippythehippo said:

If Nick is serious about ending the season next month, I'd suggest you wait. For all we know, Goons on the Moon or The String could somehow be worse. Also I'm pretty sure this and my review are the only season 11 review pages on the site (btw my reviews are still active, I just have to go write them).

Ink is bottom 25 trash, but I'm still not sold on it being the worst episode ever. I can still appreciate the anmation at times, and while it is pretty sadistic, I still find Squid's Visit to be more disgusting. Ink goes randomly to some part about selling ink lemonade, breaking out of the sadistic or stupid rest of the episode, while Squid's Visit runs with it.

Even if they will be bad, I kind of doubt that they will be worse than Ink Lemonade. 

I don't think personally that this episode is the worst, but one OF the worst, at least.

Also, I'm waiting for your reviews to continue. :D

Edited by Klu

Okay, season 11 is finished, and I'm think I'm more than sure what I think about each episode of this season.

But let's get to my ranking, shall we? We still in "garbage" territory, so let's get with mediocrity in this season quickly.

Number 49.

1000?cb=20171202095946

Writer(s):
Kaz
Storyboard Artist(s):
Fred Osmond

Another Patrick episode? Another episode by Kaz? I beginning to see a pattern here...

God, I hate this one. Like, I may legit hate this episode more than "Ink Lemonade". It may be objectively better, but this episode just presses all the wrong buttons for me. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's talk about a plot of this episode a bit. Okay, get ready for this plot, because it's something of Shakespeare's level. 

Patrick out of nowhere wants to become the horse, so, he becomes one.

Isn't this plot sounds exciting to you? No? Well, it shouldn't. because this one of those episodes that legit insult intelligence of the viewer. Dumb plots is nothing new for Spongebob, heck, there's lots of dumb plots in season 11 alone. But what makes this episode stand out in particularly negative way for me? Well, for number of reasons. First of all, I have strong feeling, that originally this episode wasn't about Patrick wanting to be a horse at all, I think it was supposed to be an episode about normal horse. Episode doesn't do many jokes around this ridiculous concept. Closest is reactions of Bikini-Bottomites and Squidward's puns. That's it. If you pretend that Patrick in this episode isn't Patrick at all and just a normal horse, then we getting a rather generic episode that way too similar to "My Pretty Seahorse" from season 3 that can perfectly function without Patrick. Patrick's addition seems like something that was added when episode was too far in production. Second reason why this episode sucks is that it does nothing clever with this concept. Patrick wants to become the horse... and he becomes the horse. Without any difficulties, without any casualties, without nothing. WHY? This is PATRICK, we talking about. S11 Patrick no less. He is pretty much brain-dead most of the time. How he can replicate behavior of the horse so EASILY? If this is supposed to be a joke, it lacks any build-up and punchline falls flat. This episode could've actually worked if it was about how Patrick tried to became the horse, with over-the-top training or something. This is still dumb plot, but it's a dumb plot that executed a bit more cleverly. This episode, on other hand, takes itself way too seriously, with this music and stuff like that. I know that this supposed to be a joke, about how ridiculous and dumb the whole things is, while trying to portray itself as serious as possible. It worked in "Two Thumbs Down", why it doesn't work here?

Well, for starters, "Two Thumbs Down" actually has a clear point of what it tries to parody, it tries to parody cheesy sports movies about underdog. This episode is like trying to parody something, but I personally don't get what and that's why this dissonance between "serious" tone and dumb shenanigans doesn't work here for me.

I think I know what episodes tries to do, but execution fails to deliver that, instead this episode feels like something out of "Peppa Pig" or even worse.

Okay, I was really harsh on this episode so far, but it's actually has some good qualities. It's not that they saved the episode for me, but they are here. "You can be anything" book is pretty darn hilarious, some of Squidward's lines are pretty good and climax was okay. But those qualities can't possibly save this episode from my rage.

I like how wacky, trippy and strange season 11 is. I like how there many stupid exaggerated faces, I enjoy how this season is fast-paced. But this episode just... feels wrong on so many levels for me.

This opinion is pretty unpopular, besides me and few others from this forum, the rest of the internet legit likes this episode and I probably can see why. But I personally can't forgive the episode that made me feel ashamed for still watching SpongeBob.

1/10.

Thanks for reading. Next review is ANOTHER Patrick episode! oooo boi, can't wait for that. I will even re-learn how to read for this occasion, since Pat the Horse decreased my IQ by 50 points at least. See ya later.

Edited by Klu
  • Like 3

Ink is bad

Pat the Horse is an episode that I legit found it boring as fuck up until the stupidity of the race climax. If the entire episode was as bizzarre and over the top as that, I might have even enjoyed it but unfortunately not. Really, I think the climax is the saving grace of this episode. And a few jokes I suppose. Otherwise, I'd hate it just as much as you did because yeah, it is so idiotic and unimaginative in any shape of form.

2 hours ago, Coffee_lover said:

If Doodle Dimension doesn’t gonna be next on the list...

T H I N G S    A R E    G O N N A    G E T    C R A Z Y

The next one will probably be Old Man Lumoshi, considering Klu said it would be another patrick episode

Number 48.

1000?cb=20180925221308

Writer(s):
Mr. Lawrence
Storyboard Artist(s):
Fred Osmond

Wow, finally an episode that Kaz didn't wrote. Mr. Lawrence, eh? Doug Lawrence was writer on SpongeBob since the very beginnings, since season 1 and voice of Plankton, Larry, Fred and many of background fish. I really respect Doug, for many reasons. He is current story editor of the show, he is still the voice actor and also an writer. Probably since Lawrence has so many things to do on this show now, some of his episodes of this seasons kind of... Lacking. I like most of them, but some of them are rather poorly written and mediocre at best. I don't want to be harsh on this guy, since being story-editor is a tough job and since S11 mostly good in my opinion, he was obviously competent in that regard. But being many things at once (story-editor, voice actor and the writer), not to mention the ridiculous amount of episodes this season, no wonder some of them are kind of... bad. He has more excuses than Kaz, that's for sure. 

But enough with this long introduction, let's get to episode itself. 

Episode starts with Patrick watching his favorite TV-show (besides Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, I suppose) Sir Urchin and Snail Fail, which consists of one note joke, Snail Fail harms Sir Urchin and this wonderful exchange happens:

To be completely honest, I kind of like this joke, even if it is repetitive. Unfortunately, this is probably the episode's highlight, since it's pretty much goes down the drain from there. Patrick realizes that he wants to watch that show with his BFF and goes to pineapple house. SpongeBob agrees to watch this show with Patrick ("top 10 worst decisions made by main characters in anime" material right here), but then our pink starfish notices door to SpongeBob's library and apparently having heavy case of amnesia, forgets what it leads to and wonders what it is.

Spongebob eagerly introduces him to the wonderful world of book learning, but it works a bit too well, since Patrick becomes TOO smart and he can't get out of library with his enormous brain. The rest of episode is consists of Spongebob trying to help Patrick with this situation.

Okay, this episode is the first one that I consider bad, but not atrocious like previous ones on my ranking, but simply "mediocre" bad. This episode's biggest problem is that it's pointless. What's it trying to say? Patrick was in SpongeBob's library several times and yes, I know, SpongeBob has no continuty, but post-sequel is usually better than this. It's almost level of "Squid's Visit's": "You never visited me, Squidward!" or Spongebob being stranger to Larry in "Pets or Pests". But that is the least of episode's problems. It has almost no good comedy. Sir Urchin and Snail Fail is "so bad, it's good" kind of gag, it was probably intentional, but still if this is episode's highlight, then there's something wrong with your script. There are also some chuckle-worthy gags about books in the first half, but that's it. Second half of the episode is simply boring "Patrick Smartpants" rehash, only worse in every way imaginable. Only thing I'm glad Lawrence did, or rather, did not, Patrick isn't jerk in this episode, even when he becomes smart. Well, that's a plus. But Patrick is still tedious to watch here. SpongeBob written pretty competently here, but he also nothing special. Animation in this episode... Is bad. It's not level of s6-9a badness, but still pretty mediocre. There's lots of more stiff and unnatural movement and numerous animation errors, this was clearly intended to be the bottle episode.

Actually, I can't even talk that much about this episode, since it's so bare-bones in everything. It takes place in one location, features very little of crazy animation and visual gags, lacks in comedy in general, and just... Boring. If second half episode wasn't "Patrick Smartpants" rip-off, I'd didn't even rated this episode so low, since it's pretty much harmless in the rest of it. It's just really boring and unremarkable.

Please stop making Patrick episode if you can't do them right. Some leaked S12 plots sound like some of them will be clearly about Patrick... Well, if they are anything like those three episodes I reviewed so far... Man, that will be awful. 

This episode is also reminder that Nick sucks, since 50 episodes per season is ridiculous. This huge number only leads to mediocrity like this episode. 

I don't hate it with burning passion, but this is one of the most uninteresting experiences this season.

3/10.

Next episode is complete waste of time, viewer's time and run-time of the episode itself. See ya later.

Edited by Klu
  • Like 2
  • Happy 1

I don't exactly dislike Library Cards but it's an episode I find to be so tedious and boring to sit through. It has a few good gags but most of it is either Patrick being braindead or Patrick being too smart and fancy. Admittedly I did get amused by smart Patrick voice due to the fact that It's been such a long time since we've seen Patrick actually talking at a good pace. That still doesn't excuse this boredom and uninteresting episode. Definitely a low s11 episode.

Since I've got lots of free time now (thanks to a little "leg" accident I had recently...) I think I will go through mediocre episodes much faster! 

Well, let's start the next review, shall we?

Number 47.

1000?cb=20181128021516Writer(s):
Kaz
Zeus Cervas

Storyboard Artist(s):
Brian Morante

You know, what I usually can't say about post-sequel SpongeBob? That's it boring as hell. Even the worst episodes are so fast-paced that it can't bore me at all, unlike many awful post-movie episodes, that seem like they are dragging and dragging, AND DRAGGING... This episodes one of the few that genuinely bored me from post-sequel era.

Plot of this episode is really loose, if you can't even call that a plot. Sandy, for some reason, got really competitive lately, so SpongeBob and Patrick tried to escape from her to Jellyfish fields (I guess Sandy was having "that time of the month :funny:), only Sandy follows them and spoils the fun with her competitiveness once more.

On the surface this plot is okay, certainly more normal and Spongebob-esque out of all that I reviewed so far, but the biggest problem with this episode is the run-time. It lasts 16 minutes. So, in season where most episodes had to be CUT DOWN to meet original 11 minutes run-time, Nickelodeon (or post-sequel crew, I don't know) choose this episode to be padded out to 16 minutes. WHY?! 

This episode barely has a plot to begin with, but with extended length it feels like a slow-slow drag. Most of it is just Sandy catching jellyfish... MENACINGLY. And that's it. I like how Kaz and Zeus wanted to explore Sandy's flaws and how she tried to fix them, but "here we go again" ending and the fact that she was generally OOC in this episode just destroys this good intention. 

Only saving grace this episode has is the climax, with epic anime-style fight sequence. It was fun, I guess, but the rest of episode was really-really boring, so it doesn't saves it for me that much.

You know, some of the later episodes will be much more annoying than this one, but I put Squirrel Jelly this low instead. Why? Well, because I actually prefer annoying episodes over boring ones (with some exceptions), because annoying episodes actually can give me some sort of an impact on me, I don't feel like I just wasted my time. This episode FEELS like I wasted my time watching it. Not to mention, this episode just don't offer much of a material for a review, that's how bare-bones it is. I could argue that Library Cards has more substance than Squirrel Jelly. But climax was genuinely fun, and overall, this episode don't feel like a rip-off of anything, unlike Cards. Closest I can think of is Jellyfish Hunter, but they aren't so similar to be considered rip-off.

This is the worst special since 9a's ones and I hope that S12 won't repeat the same mistake and this was just a slip-up, since I love the rest of post-sequel specials. 

3/10.

Probably, I should not bother with the next episode's review, since there's godly enough review for it already:

" I like this episode. It has a nice jokes and good plot. 8.5/10"

But I will try anyway. See ya!

Edited by Klu
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, dmandaboi said:

TBH Squirrel Jelly was the biggest disappointment in the show since Sportz.

I have to agree 

Ink and several other episodes maybe were worse, but at least I didn't expected anything from them

I thought that this episode would be awesome, since Kaz nailed Sandy in "Surf'N'Turf", but oh well

Edited by Klu

I don't mind Squirrel Jelly compared to other people, especially on how they wrote Sandy here. But man, it dragged on for sure. If it was 11 minute episode and the end was different, I'd really like this one. Sandy catching jellyfishes got old and the entire sequence at Goo Lagoon was unnecessary. I liked fight scenes and calm Sandy scenes and Patrick had a few funny gags here but the episode was too average for me. It just needed less screentime.

4 minutes ago, WhoBob said:

I don't mind Squirrel Jelly compared to other people, especially on how they wrote Sandy here. But man, it dragged on for sure. If it was 11 minute episode and the end was different, I'd really like this one. Sandy catching jellyfishes got old and the entire sequence at Goo Lagoon was unnecessary. I liked fight scenes and calm Sandy scenes and Patrick had a few funny gags here but the episode was too average for me. It just needed less screentime.

I liked what they were trying to do with Sandy, but she was a bit too over-the-top at times. 

I actually want to try to cut filler in this episode to see if will get any better 

• Like 3

Number 46.

1000?cb=20180809130406

Writer(s):
Ben Gruber
Storyboard Artist(s):
John Trabbic

Oh, a new face here. Ben Gruber, a newcomer from season 10. He got a pretty negative reputation from coming to SpongeBob at first, for his work for widely despised Teen Titans Go and his mostly less than stellar season 10 episodes. His highlights: Unreal Estate and Plankton Gets the Boot, still got pretty divisive reputation. His writing just feels so different compared to other post-sequel writers in particular... But his reputation greatly improved after his eventual departure mid-season 11, object of this review being his only stinker in season 11. So, let's see last despised Ben Gruber episode, shall we? 

I don't even want to tackle this episode's plot. Not because I'm lazy (but I'm kind of am), but because this episode's plot is just poor men's version of Jellyfish Jam. SpongeBob befriends a wild animal (or, in this case, group of wild animals) and learns that wild animals belong... Well, in the wild. There was already one Jellyfish Jam rip-off last season, House Worming, which was extremely mediocre. But this episode actually goes further. It also feels like Bubble Buddy rip-off! Also, clams migration reminded me of The Pink Purloiner. But alright, how this episode on his own merits, maybe plot is lazy, but overall, how it's holds up?

Kind of awful, actually. This episode doesn't feel like season 11 in the slightest. Season 11 episodes usually have much more creative concepts and plots than that! This episode feels like an episode from season 10 that was for some reason included in season 11. This actually isn't too far-fetched, since originally season 10 has 13 half-hour episodes, this episode could be one of those two that got cut. 

But plot that feels all too familiar isn't his biggest fault, no, this episode is just embodiment of almost every awful quality that post-sequel has. No dialogue humor, awful characterization of Patrick, overly zany Squidward, RANDOM SCREAMING, plot that feels like rip-off of something that was already done, overly hyper atmosphere. This episode has it all and that's pretty dang awful. This episode even butchered Mr.Krabs, which is probably the best character in season 11, I'm not kidding. 

Every character in this episode annoys in me one way or another, SpongeBob feels too ignorant, Patrick is loud and dumb, Squidward is zany to the point of annoyance, Mr.Krabs is overly cheap... Characterization here sucks... Eggs. 

What about comedy? It mostly SCREAMING and WACKY EXPRESSIONS, in other words:

vlcsnap-2018-12-08-16h04m40s742.1544270848.png

I wish I could talk about The Getaway instead...

But to give credit where credit is due, there are some jokes that I liked. How Krabs was beaten up by clams' pearls and online dating jokes were pretty decent. This title card is also pretty godly:

But this are the nicest things I can say about this episode. But if there's so little good in it, why it's higher than previous episodes? Well, it has more jokes that I actually liked that in any of previous episodes and it's not boring to watch, which is cool, I guess? Don't get me wrong, I don't want to defend this pile of clam's poop, but I think it's a tiny bit better than any of previous episodes. It's not boring, has couple of good jokes and variety of different and creative clam designs. This episode is still bad though and those good qualities can help this episode only a little bit, but not much more.

3/10.

Next episode I will be talking about is painfully boring and forgettable, but at least original. See ya!

• Like 3

The Clam Whisperer suffers from being completely forgettable. Nothing in the episode is memorable or slightly entertaining. It has a few good laughs but most of the time, I found myself watching same old same old. Characters are so loud and irritating and storyline is done to death. I actually like House Worming but this one is just lazy. Definitely Gruber's worst work in s11, heck, I'd even prefer Krusty Katering over this. What a lame of an episode this was.

• Like 1