• Advertisement

Captain Marvel (Marvel one, not DC one!)

Turo

Welp. I came back from this movie and I gotta say that this was...decent. Not great, not BAD as edgelord sexists have spread (hello Jeremy) but I really felt like this should have been much better than what It has given us. 

Carol was a good character in the movie. She has some awesome sequeneces, I liked her sarcasm, what she standed for and her deal with Krees and Skrulls. And the movie had an excellent message revolving around her that it was very important. However, I wanted more of her... Her flashbacks were interesting and how the movie told her origins was unique but they didn't even show them her past enough. I wanted more of her relationship with her family they set up here and didn't even go further with it. I get that it had so much time spending time in present and figuring out the mystery of what caused her powers and why it matters to Krees and Skrulls but I felt like the movie was short and it should have focused more on Carol's past to make me love her more. Cuz the message in the movie was amazing but I wanted more emotion out of it. Regardless of what, the movie did its job to introduce Carol to the universe and it basically filled the gaps between Captain America and Avengers (and they didn't butcher Agents of SHIELD HOORAY). I'll say that Brie Larson was a great casting for Carol but she does need more material that I hope they'll expend her character in other movies.

I was disappointed that the movie was was supposed to be about Kree/Skrull war and yea they were enemies in it but it didn't have that "war" feel. I liked what they did with one particular thing with them that I won't spoil but I wish we got more of them. (Also Ronan was just there and that sucked). I didn't like a few decisions to be made in the movie, albeit one of it made sense given the conext but I can't spoil it rn, so yea. The movie didn't exactly have a unique tone of its own. It felt like a phase 1 movie like many people said. Yes, it has 90s stuff but that's not enough to make a cool style to it. And I wasn't too impressed with some of fight sequences and some CGI. It was still fun but well first arc was off-putting in those aspects.

With negatives outta way, I wanna get into what I loved. The twist in the movie I DID NOT EXPECT, even tho many said the movie was predictable and I was actually surprised and I thought how it was handled was so impressive. Carol/Fury dynamic was top notch and easily the strongest aspect of the movie. Carol's fish out of water actions and Fury's clueless personality gave a ton of good chemistry between them. I also loved Carol's dynamic with her old friend Moria and her daughter Monica, who actually took Captain Marvel mantle before her in comics, I hope they turn her into a superhero in Captain Marvel's sequel. Oh and Goose the Cat. HE(SHE?) STOLE THE WHOLE. ALL OF GOOSE SCENES ARE GODSEND AND GOOSE IS THE ONLY THING THAT CAN KILL THANOS, BELIEVE IN MEEEE. I liked 90s music they put in it and humor of Captain Marvel was in good doze after I was so worried this would be another "comedic" superhero movie they announced. Pacing was fine enough and story was told pretty well.

Not my favorite Phase 3 movie, in fact it was probably my least favorite of it? But It was still an enjoyable movie with some powerful messages...and some flaws.

Grade: B/B+

So yeah.  This was by far the worst of the Phase 3 movies.  Doesn’t mean it was a bad movie or anything.  To me, the MCU has arguably one bad movie and a handful of mediocre to average ones.  Consider this part of the latter. 

I really needed a day to take it all in and try to gather my thoughts after seeing it last night.  The easiest way to sum my thoughts up is that this is a boring Phase 1 MCU film.  Kind of like the first Thor and Captain America films where it was meant to introduce the character primarily and then expand on the character depth more in the sequels, while having no real identity as a stand-alone movie.  It’s just another Marvel movie.  Kind of like Age of Ultron.  Trying to build up anticipation for future movies instead of gaining its own identity.

And yeah, this movie definitely suffers from having an identity crisis.  It is very confused tone wise because it starts off by having Carol being cocky and cutting wisecracks and then once the movie really starts kicking in, her character takes a complete 180 and becomes boring and flat.  The only other times where she starts to become somewhat interesting again is the buddy-cop moments between Carol and Nick Fury.  That’s it.  At least those interactions were good and made me care.  In comparison to her interactions with her pilot buddy Moria, which the movie really tried to make it feel like it was a thing, but I just didn’t care for it.  It felt super forced into the movie to try and show that Carol was still human, but yet again, Carol herself is uninteresting.

I don’t know how a movie with five writers can make their main character this dull.  I don’t know if it’s a director problem because the director duo of this movie have made a few indie dramas I like (Half-Nelson, It’s Kind of a Funny Story).  I don’t know if it’s Brie Larson’s fault.  I love Brie Larson.  I know how good of an actress she is.  But this is the second time in MCU history, where I feel like anyone could have played the part of one of their title characters; the first being The Incredible Hulk and look what happened there.  She didn’t do anything to really make the character memorable to me nor did I really feel like she gel with the part.  Who knows, maybe Brie Larson will make the character her own in Endgame with different direction?  After all, Chris Hemsworth started to impress me more and more as Thor the longer he was the character.

Look I could go more into my problems with this (at least I got my main problems out of the way), but I don’t want this post to be all negative because I didn’t hate it.  Like I said, when the movie was trying to be a buddy cop movie with Carol and Fury, it worked.  The CGI work with the de-aging effect on Nick Fury was excellent.  I could hardly notice it and it blended in very well.  Unfortunately, it didn’t work as well on Coulson because I laughed at times, but hey at least it worked on the second leading star, that’s what counts.  And Ben Mendelsohn, once again playing the antagonist in a big budget blockbuster, was great.  I’m starting to become a real fan of his.  And the comedy did work when it was there, per usual for a MCU movie.  Oh and Goose was great.  And as expected, the post credit scenes only built up my anticipation for Endgame even more.  Please bring on the last week of April.  Like now.

And one more major complaint to wrap this up.  I HATE SHAKY CAMS.  There were too many of those scenes in this movie and it got really bad at times.  Especially in the climax where I could barely tell what was going on.

I really wanted to like this more, but this was supremely disappointing.  Very boring.  And didn’t have a real identity.  I’m not going to write off Captain Marvel as a character yet.  But if she is going to be the new major player in a post Endgame MCU, they really need to fine tune her and give her movies, and more importantly her, personality.  As soon as possible.

Grade: C

And in terms of MCU movies ranked, probably the fourth or fifth worst of the MCU films.  Not sure if this is better or worse than Age of Ultron.  Need to sit on that some more.  But better than The Dark World, The Incredible Hulk, and absolutely better than Iron Man 2.

• Like 1

I just want to say that I really LOVE the retro rock and roll music in this movie (I'm a Radio D.J. who is a big fan of retro rock and roll music) and the selections chosen for this film were just AWESOME! :cool: Really bumped it up in my eyes! :D I know that a couple of people are complaining about how Carol Danvers in 1989, was cocky and smug. Than we get to her in 1995, and she's unsure of herself; but they're forgetting one crucial detail! o.o The woman had AMNESIA, and being fed lies to her for the past six years certainly didn't help matters! :rolleyes: Also, I actually think it's better that they DIDN'T show the whole war aspect between the Skrull and the Kree. There's a reason why the trope "Tell, Don't Show", still gets used, and I think this is one of the instances where it works to the benefit of the movie, rather than it's detriment. It was really interesting to see a younger version of Samuel L. Jackson again. He almost looked like he had just finished making "Pulp Fiction" in this movie! Loved all the "Take That!" references to Blockbuster Video, and the (to us), the slow technology of 1995 that has been made completely obsolete as of now. Totally did NOT see the plot twist with Goose coming, especially the stinger at the end! And of course, it was bittersweet to see Stan Lee cameo in this movie. Maybe some things could've been done better, but I think this movie did a pretty good job for what it set out to do. I'd give it a 9.9/10! ;) Rest in peace, Stan Lee.

10 hours ago, 4EverGreen said:

I just want to say that I really LOVE the retro rock and roll music in this movie (I'm a Radio D.J. who is a big fan of retro rock and roll music) and the selections chosen for this film were just AWESOME! :cool: Really bumped it up in my eyes! :D I know that a couple of people are complaining about how Carol Danvers in 1989, was cocky and smug. Than we get to her in 1995, and she's unsure of herself; but they're forgetting one crucial detail! o.o The woman had AMNESIA, and being fed lies to her for the past six years certainly didn't help matters! :rolleyes: Also, I actually think it's better that they DIDN'T show the whole war aspect between the Skrull and the Kree. There's a reason why the trope "Tell, Don't Show", still gets used, and I think this is one of the instances where it works to the benefit of the movie, rather than it's detriment. It was really interesting to see a younger version of Samuel L. Jackson again. He almost looked like he had just finished making "Pulp Fiction" in this movie! Loved all the "Take That!" references to Blockbuster Video, and the (to us), the slow technology of 1995 that has been made completely obsolete as of now. Totally did NOT see the plot twist with Goose coming, especially the stinger at the end! And of course, it was bittersweet to see Stan Lee cameo in this movie. Maybe some things could've been done better, but I think this movie did a pretty good job for what it set out to do. I'd give it a 9.9/10! ;) Rest in peace, Stan Lee.

yeah. I just don't know man. I usually prefer "show, not tell" because the movie focuses on Kree and Skrulls and I actually did get into Skrulls but Kree managed to be kind of bland and I wish both sides would be more morally grey during their war and It sucks that we didn't see the actual war since the movie's focus, other than Carol is the conflict between Kree and Skrull. It was just told in us that there was a war and I didn't buy into that as much as I should have. I get this movie's main arc is given to Carol but I wish there'd be more meat to Kree vs Skrull conflict. :/