• Advertisement

The Academy Awards adds a “best popular film” category

Clappy

If the title doesn’t explain it all, here’s a link:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/academy-plans-three-hour-oscars-telecast-adds-popular-film-category-1133138

Incredibly stupid move by the Academy committee.  In a year, like this one especially, where some of the highest grossing movies are seriously some of the best reviewed out there (Black Panther, Avengers Infinity War, Mission Impossible: Fallout), they decide to make a category like this.  To me, this is still the Academy refusing to actually give credit to how much smarter and well received some of the mainstream movies can be now.  Sometimes, they are much more than just popcorn flicks.  They can have strong messages just like those prestige flicks the Academy voters tend to eat up.  Which btw, I guarantee you that they still won’t bother to give “popular films” a legit chance to be nominated and win more than those “awardsbait movies”.  Fucking stupid.

Can’t wait until next year when they decide to add Best Cinematic Universe as a category because they still think they can tend to be hip and cool.

• Like 2

Yeah I think this idea is silly. We don't need a category to award popular movies. If the popular movies are good enough they can get nominated on their own (like Get Out last year or La La Land in 2016).

I also don't like how they're going to shove certain awards to the commercial breaks. Behind-the-scenes people deserve their moment in the spotlight and this makes their work seem more like an afterthought. 

35 minutes ago, Katniss said:

If the popular movies are good enough they can get nominated on their own (like Get Out last year or La La Land in 2016).

I wouldn’t consider La La Land a popular movie because of two reasons.  It started off in select cities like most awardsbait movies tend to do.  Also it had the underlying message of being a love letter to old fashioned Hollywood.  It was always one of those prestige flicks that became popular because of how well reviewed it was and how many nominations it got from The Academy.  Still a great movie that I love don’t get me wrong.

But even with that, there are so many popular movies that don’t get recognized at all despite being well reviewed by critics and pushed from studios.  It’s a rarity when there is a movie like Get Out that gets away with being recognized as one of the best of the year from the Academy.  For example: Wonder Woman, Thor Ragnarok, and Baby Driver were all some of the best reviewed movies of the year and they only got recognized for technical work instead.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Clappy said:

I wouldn’t consider La La Land a popular movie because of two reasons.  It started off in select cities like most awardsbait movies tend to do.  Also it had the underlying message of being a love letter to old fashioned Hollywood.  It was always one of those prestige flicks that became popular because of how well reviewed it was and how many nominations it got from The Academy.  Still a great movie that I love don’t get me wrong.

But even with that, there are so many popular movies that don’t get recognized at all despite being well reviewed by critics and pushed from studios.  It’s a rarity when there is a movie like Get Out that gets away with being recognized as one of the best of the year from the Academy.  For example: Wonder Woman, Thor Ragnarok, and Baby Driver were all some of the best reviewed movies of the year and they only got recognized for technical work instead.

Baby Driver deserved shot at best picture. Fite me oscar overlords.

• Like 1

because someone has to post it

Spoiler

also if you go a bit further into the news, you can see them mentioning cutting smaller awards meant for production things from the telecast, so that's some more icky shit. i guess them oscars are really trying to cover up that they aren't actually going to increase the amount of non-MPAA movies that get nominated

Edited by Burgerpants