• Advertisement

233a. Whale Watching

Jinjo

Episode Rating  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Whales: THIS IS SO CORAL!
    • 4/5 Whales: You know, there is still a way we could have a little fun tonight...
    • 3/5 Whales: Come on Pearl, let's go home! I can't be here all alone!
    • 2/5 Whales: Come on Pearly girl, we're running low on doors here!
    • 1/5 Whales: Ew dad, Squidward is so lame!

4ehqAjZ.png

Premieres: 

Monday, August 6th @ 6:00pm ET/PT

Encores:

Monday, August 6th @ 8:00pm ET/PT

Friday, August 10th @ 6:30pm ET/PT

Friday, August 10th @ 9:30pm ET/PT

Plot:

Mr. Krabs hires Squidward to babysit Pearl for the night, but she just wants to sneak out to a cool teen party.

Clips:

N/A

This episode has already been leaked online thanks to Russia. If you've seen the episode already, you can post your thoughts here.

Edited by jjsthekid

This episode turned out surprisingly better than I anticipated. While I didn't love it as much as Mall Girl Pearl, I think this still managed to be good enough on its own. Squidward and Pearl turned out to be an interesting pair that worked a lot better than I thought it would be, and it was heartwarming with how the two got along by the end. I'm glad the episode didn't revolve around Squidward getting crapped on for all of its humor, and managed to paint him in a more interesting light when bouncing off of Pearl. I didn't find much super funny but it managed to hold my attention and be entertaining enough. The bit with the stop-motion Pearl was well done as well. My only issue was the first two-ish minutes with Pearl crying were kind of eh, but other than that it was pretty good and a nice change of pace.

Grade: B+

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 2

lmao I forgot this aired. Whatever though, I already saw it. 

This wasn't the funniest episode iirc, but it was still very good. Pearl and Squidward was an interesting pairing, and it was interesting to see how the episode went. Also, I really liked the stop-motion scene in the episode, it was done really well.

9/10 

Very interesting to see stop-motion being used in a non-holiday or regular special episode. Nice to see a few, little throwbacks to past episodes. A picture of Grandpa Redbeard ("Grandpappy the Pirate"), Squidward's fishing skills ("Hooky"), and difficulty going up a 90 degree angle ("Rock Bottom"). Chronologically, if this episode CAN be placed somewhere in the "Spongebob Squarepants" timeline, it MUST take place before "Bossy Boots", because Mr. Krabs BRAGGED about teaching Pearl how to breach, and in this episode, Pearl acted like she had never done it before! o.o That Dylan was a real JERK for ditching Pearl, and I'm glad that someone else BESIDES Squidward, was used to get a dose of laser-guided karma at the end. Even though Spongebob was used rather incidentally in this episode, for only two instances, those moments were PRICELESS, in that they DROVE Squidward to protect and save Pearl, and Spongebob was used to punish Dylan for ditching Pearl! :D I'd give this episode a perfect 10/10! :cool: Enough said! ;)

• Wow 1

I really liked the episode. I liked the little cameo of Grandpa Redbeard, though it was weird that Pearl's tears can now slice through objects. Squidward was really great watching after Pearl and seeing him driven to do it just so he won't have to work with SpongeBob. Also, SpongeBob didn't really have any lines in this episode aside from laughing. This has to be his smallest role yet, smaller than Mall Girl Pearl. I liked the bit with stop motion being used for the breaching part and the end where Squidward and Pearl get revenge on Pearl's narwhal boyfriend. A really great episode. 

I had my concerns over this one but I also had a lot hopes in it because we barely saw Squidward and Pearl interacting and boy, they did it well. It was a classic story of kid/teen characters running away for a party and babysitter gets them before it gets messy but I liked that the show added a backstory into Squidward and Pearl's past with each other and it was fun seeing them interacting. I loved the whole chase sequence with Squidward trying to catch Pearl, the whole stopmotion scene and the surprise twist ending. It also made me glad that this episode didn't turn Pearl into a bratty teenager and it gave her actual motivations on why she ran away, as well as it not making Squidward suffer from the experience. I don't have much negative to say, except first two minutes were kind of irritating and the episode isn't the most memorable with its jokes but I really enjoyed the overall story and characters.

Grade: B+

• Like 1

This was a pretty good episode. There was a sort of interesting character dynamic between Squidward and Pearl (who barely interacted before this episode), and even though Squidward was mainly driven to protect Pearl just to avoid getting stuck with Spongebob, their interactions were handled well otherwise. As others have said, the stop-motion used near the end was pretty good and while not the highlight of the episode, that part of the episode was still pretty good. Otherwise, however, most of the episode was just, well, pretty good. Even then, other than some minor concerns (such as Spongebob's useless and kind of annoying cameos), I don't have much wrong with this episode. While nothing stood out overly much, it's safe to say that this episode is definitely an enjoyable one.

FINAL RATING: 7/10 (BETTER episode)

I like that we got a fresh dynamic with a believable reason for the two characters to be around each other, and even have a history together. (The pictures of Squidward with baby Pearl were genuinely sweet). 

Krabs having a closet of replacement doors, the coloring outside the lines, and the tear cutting/under the house escape were all appropriately done gags.

I didn't really care for the scenes at the surface party, or Spongebob being weaponized as a laughing madman, but they were small flaws in a refreshingly character-driven installment. :)

• Like 2

Never would've thought there would be an episode with Squidward and Pearl together. I enjoyed seeing their chemistry with Squidward already being the babysitter of Pearl in the past (those pictures of the two were funny and nice). The episode had some funny gags, with Mr. Krabs having a closet full of doors, the SpongeBob as a weapon that will always AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA into your dreams, and Pearl doing arts and crafts. The surface scene was kind of interesting. It was something that hasn't really be done since Sponge Out of Water and Pressure, if I recall correctly. When pearl got beached, the stop-motion was a really nice addition to tie in the episode.

Dylan and all of the other pieces of shit teenagers were bitches for leaving Pearl beached. That's really the only part of this episode I hated. Everything else was good. Season 11 keeps bringing great and fresh episodes!

Rating: A-