• Advertisement

The Happytime Murders (aka that R-rated Muppet Movie from Jim Henson’s son)

Clappy

Don’t know how many of you’ve seen the trailers for this, but it’s coming out in a few weeks.  It’s stirred up quite a bit of controversy due to the producers of Sesame Street suing.  

Me personally?  I at least admire the concept.  With the onslaught of sequels as of late, it’s always refreshing to see new and original ideas like this.  I just wish the trailer didn’t look so bad:

-The puppet sex gag went on for far too long.

-Maybe it’s just me, but I’m getting sick of Melissa McCarthy.  She has been wasting her potential with everything she’s been involved with for the past three years especially and her moments here look like more of the same.

Like I said I’m not against the idea of this.  I’m all for it.  But all this trailer is just the basic concept of LOOK AT THE PUPPETS SWEAR, DO DRUGS, ACT VIOLENT, AND FUCK!  I hope the movie is saving the good jokes for the actual film because this trailer is incredibly squandered potential.

• God Himself 1

My friends and I are really looking forward to this. As much as I'm not a fan of most of Melissa McCarthy's work, I agree that a concept like this has some real potential. But yeah, everytime I see the trailer play in theaters, a lot of the people watching with me sound real turned off by it.

My thoughts about this movie, just hearing about it and knowing that it's going to exist; the movie is either going to be labeled as surprisingly good; or be so hilariously BAD, it's good! We'll just have to wait and see. Enough said for now!

• Like 1

I like the idea of this and really want to like the movie but this looks kind of terrible. I do have hope this is just a poorly done trailer, I'll probably give it a chance.

So yeah, this willl probably be one of the worst movies I’ve seen this year.  Who knows, maybe even be the worst?  Have to really think about it.

The only remotely positive thing I have to say is that Maya Rudolph steals every scene she is in.  That’s it.  Nothing else about this even remotely stands out.  Which is a real damn shame because I still think this idea had some real potential.

On 7/31/2018 at 4:34 PM, Clappy said:

Like I said I’m not against the idea of this.  I’m all for it.  But all this trailer is just the basic concept of LOOK AT THE PUPPETS SWEAR, DO DRUGS, ACT VIOLENT, AND FUCK!  I hope the movie is saving the good jokes for the actual film because this trailer is incredibly squandered potential.

The bold pretty much sums up the movie in a nutshell.  Which is exactly what I feared it would be and it did use all the good jokes for the trailer.  Because the rest of the jokes were practically muppets doing even more gross crude behavior just because they can get away with it.  That’s supremely disappointing because when you pull that all back, the movie is pretty dull underneath it all.  Nothing interesting at all.  It tries to add some sort of sub context about how muppets are second rate citizens and get second rate jobs because parallels to society today.  But it doesn’t fully commit to examining that idea further in depth.

I hope we get more original ideas like this in theory in the future.  I’m all for them but as long as the effort is clearly there.  Unlike this, where no effort was put into at all.

• Like 1