• Advertisement

New Episodes (Shopping List-Chefbob) discussion

Just saw all 5 of them, and here are my first impressions (Which of course could always change upon rewatch).

Shopping List: A very solid episode, I think it was actually equally as good as its partner, Mustard O' Mine. It's not a fantastic episode by any stretch, but its a fun journey with some good gags, and I also love seeing Sandy kicking Krabs's butt, a perfect way for him to get his comeuppance. Using Pieguy's scale, I'd rate this a GOOD episode.

Whale Watching: My favorite of the 5, and one of my new top 5 favorites of Season 11. I like how Squidward seemed like a genuinely caring person towards Pearl in this episode, and it's a very relatable episode to me, as I was once a teen myself and can very much relate to wanting to attend a fancy sounding party rather than being babysat. Plus there were plenty of good jokes here. Obviously, using Pieguy's scale, I'd rate this a GOOD episode.

Krusty Kleaning: I feel much the same way about this episode as I do "Shopping List" and "Mustard O' Mine", in that in general it's just very solid. While not the best in terms of comedy or story, both are still fine enough here, and in general nothing really bugged me about this episode. So yeah, very good one, definitely a solid GOOD episode using Pieguy's scale.

Patnocchio: Easily my least favorite of the 5. It doesn't really do much besides just being another episode too heavily concentrated on Patrick's stupidity, and it could get annoying at times. That said, I still don't hate this episode, because I thought it was cool to see Karen (sort of) narrate an episode for once and there were still a couple of decent gags. Those things saved it from being a scumbob, and as a result, using Pieguy's scale, I give this a MEH moniker.

ChefBob: My 2nd favorite of the 5. Just a really cool episode, and a hilarious one too. I like the idea of SpongeBob getting stage fright due to performing in front of a large crowd, because it's again relatable. And the actual chefbob puppet is awesome, telling really hilarious jokes and even getting his own show at the end. Much like "The Abrasive Side", the rude humor works here since an outside force is causing all the rudeness to occur.  Great episode overall, definitely rating it a GOOD using Pieguy's scale.

Like I said, don't take this to be my final opinion since I had only just now watched all these. My opinions on all these and more could easily change upon rewatch.

5 hours ago, hippythehippo said:

Just a concise place to discuss the new eps.

I'm probably the only one who likes Patnocchio unirronicly 

I kind of like it too, you know. :)

also that Goofy Goobers cameo was kind of unexpected

Edited by Klu
  • Thanks 1

My thoughts on each of these episodes (in spoilers of course in case you don't want to get spoiled)

Spoiler

Shopping List: A very creative episode using several new ideas. I really like Zeus Cervas's work here and it sort of sucks that he's only here as a guest writer. The return of the Yeti Krab was pretty good, along with the Flying Dutchman making a reappearance here and working well and some of the other parts of the episode. There was rarely a dull moment in this good episode. 8/10

Whale Watching: A pretty good episode. Squidward was handled well here seeing as how he rarely (if ever) interacts with Pearl and the whole episode just works. The only parts I didn't like that much were Spongebob's cameos and even those didn't keep the ending from being funny. 7/10

Krusty Kleaners: Ehh... yeah. There's not too much to say about this one. Spongebob and Patrick were annoying again; standard Kaz fare. There WERE good jokes, don't get me wrong; the seppuku reference near the beginning was funny (and one of the few times in the whole show a suicide joke actually worked), Patrick turning into a redneck after Spongebob calls him "trashy" was pretty good and that one office worker who just kept working despite all of the craziness around him was also pretty funny here also. However, most of the episode was, again, rather annoying. 6/10

Patnocchio: Er... again here, we have an episode with Patrick being really annoying. I don't hate this episode (hell, it's kind of hard to hate an episode where Goofy Goober's makes a reappearance) but it was just so dull at times. However, there were some points that I did enjoy. Pearl's appearance here did feel sort of tacked on but the joke with Karen giving her a sort of.... mouthwash(?) in a scene reminiscent of commercials was sort of funny and there were also some good points (like the nose fight, which was so out there and yet it still worked out well) but Patrick's stupidity was just... ugh. 6/10

ChefBob: Here's another one that I thoroughly enjoyed. While there's not much to say about the beginning of the episode, the second half is where it really shines. Spongebob's new persona, ChefBob (which he formed out of stage fright) becomes an insult comic (one thing I don't understand is how the puppet seemingly grew a mind of its own but oh well) and the dialogue humour here is top-notch. The fight scene near the end was also rather entertaining, with Spongebob getting flushed down the toilet at one point (I don't know why I found that funny but oh well) and other things going on. The ending, while rather strange (as somehow the puppet lived on despite being crushed in a cash register, stepped on and picked up by a street cleaner... and without being attached to Spongebob's actual arm for some reason), is still rather funny I guess. Overall, this one is rather enjoyable and serves as a really good episode. 7.5/10 (close to 8/10 but not quite)

If I had to rank every episode from here, I'd order them as
Shopping List > ChefBob > Whale Watching > Patnocchio > Krusty Kleaners

And also, by the ways, screw the formatting here, sheesh. I don't know what went wrong but somehow, it messed up.

Edited by jjsthekid
I don't know what the heck happened with the formatting here....

I only saw the first three episode as of yet (if maybe someone can message me links to Patnoccio and Chefbob? ❤️).

I thought Shopping list was kind of boring and unfocused. I prefer the underrated Mustard 'O Mine over it any time. I guess this one has too little conflict for me to keep my full interest. Not bad though, given the cool locations SpongeBob and Sandy went to.

Whale Watching was much better with sweet moments and Squidward ending on top! I liked how SpongeBob was barely in it and the focus was on the other characters. (What creature was Dylan supposed to be by the way?) However, I didn't really like the stop motion part and also this episode could have used a little more jokes. But centainly not bad at all. Maybe just not very rewatchable.

Then Krusty Kleaners. I just expected this one to be about SpongeBob cleaning the Krusty Krab with the usual shenanigans, but it surprised me taking place at an all new location and going all out with office jokes. The twist with the tanks was very clever in my opinion. This one I liked a lot, and the hyperactive visual jokes really worked for me here. I imagine this one being very memorable and fun to rewatch.

Edited by BeachBob95

Will have bigger in-depth reviews later, but these are my rankings from best to weakest:

1. ChefBob: Fantastic episode, giving us an intriguing insight into SpongeBob's psyche. It was nice having an episode use dialogue humor again for its comedy, and it worked exceptionally well. Honestly, this is currently my favorite S11 episode, which is surprising as I had no expectations for this one at all. 

2. Shopping List: A very fun and well paced episode. The extra treats in this episode were cool, such as the Yeti Krab's return (lol at them referencing that of all episodes though), seeing The Dutchman in 2d again, and the Pinhead Larry and Dirty Dan tombstones. The ending was hilarious, and there were a lot of other amusing bits. Very impressed with Cervas, showing he has really has come a long way since the S4-S9A days. 

3. Whale Watching: A surprisingly well executed episode, using a pairing (Squidward and Pearl) that I never thought would work out well, but this exceeded my expectations. While not as good as Mall Girl Pearl, this is still a fine Pearl episode on its own. The ending is very sweet too, and I'm glad it didn't end up being a lazy Squidward abuse episode. 

4. The Krusty Kleaners: I honestly found this one amusing more than others, a lot of the gags really worked for me. I especially loved the cleaning robot, and the change of setting was nice. Not amazing, but it had enough for me to like it. 

5. Patnocchio: My least favorite of the batch, but even then it wasn't bad. Patrick's stupidity wasn't really that funny to me here, but there's been worse Patrick episodes. I did enjoy the Goofy Goobers appearance, and there were some other amusing parts. But I felt overall the second half was kind of all over the place and too weird for me personally. Karen had the best parts in the episode.

I have to say, I was pretty pleased with these episodes for the most part and they were definitely a step in the right direction for Season 11. 

(if anyone wants to see the episodes, PM me)

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 5

Patnoccio was allright, but not that funny nor original. I did like the fairytale frame. ChefBob was ... a mix of Squid Wood, Squirril Jokes, The Play's the Thing and Bubble Buddy. And just plain weird. People who like stand up should watch it, though.

Also I noticed they referenced One Coarse Meal and My Leg! in these episodes.. Just an observation.

Edited by BeachBob95

On 7/28/2018 at 9:54 AM, jjsthekid said:

1. ChefBob: Fantastic episode, giving us an intriguing insight into SpongeBob's psyche. It was nice having an episode use dialogue humor again for its comedy, and it worked exceptionally well. Honestly, this is currently my favorite S11 episode, which is surprising as I had no expectations for this one at all. 

Chefbob is made by the same crew who made Ink Lemonade lol.

The Shopping List is by no means an excellent episode. In fact, I found its humor rather dry, with the somewhat intriguing story being the only hook this episode had. The storyline of this episode is relatively simple. SpongeBob goes out to collect secret ingredients for the Krabby Patty. Plankton uses this opportunity to figure out what the formula is, once and for all. It’s nothing short of your average Plankton episode, the only real substance in this episode is probably the adventure aspect that’s explored. The episode is pretty harmless if you ask me, there’s no real plot holes, there’s no character inconsistencies, it uses a basic story structure to progress the episode, while keeping the audience in “suspense” as our antagonist comes close to figuring out the formula. Unfortunately for this episode’s sake, there’s nothing special added onto the plot. No really funny jokes or fascinating scenarios, really the most “special” thing would probably be the return of the Flying Dutchman (Glad to see him back so soon), and this episode’s biggest surprise, the Yeti Krab. Honestly, for such a lackluster episode, it’s really cool seeing the Yeti Krab make an unexpected return, a little nice detail added in. Heck, he plays an essential role in this episode, not only as one of the ingredients, but a key motivator for Sandy’s reaction at the end of the episode. The humor is presented through a variety of lame visual gags, the usual norms of a lackluster Season 11 episode. I didn’t find any jokes to really be that funny at all, the most amusing of the visual gags were definitely the ones personifying the Chum Bucket, I’m a sucker for those gags :P

I did notice Zeus tried to sprinkle some dialogue humor in this episode, but it just didn’t work. They were pretty much half-baked with little wit or comedic timing, the dialogue humor was more of a reactionary comment than anything else. Prime example of course being Plankton’s quip about going through Yeti Krab’s back door. The episode isn’t entirely devoid of these mediocre moments, I really liked the Flying Dutchman’s scene, I thought his remarks on his dandruff were the highlight of the episode. The ending “twist” was very predictable, you could spot it a mile away the moment we saw the Yeti Krab. Still, I kind of liked seeing Sandy giving Krabs a taste of his own medicine, even if it’s a little too harsh for this scenario (Gee, where were you in The Cent of Money?).

The characters are of the same quality of this episode, not so entertaining, but entirely harmless. Again, no real character flaws in this episode, I think each character has a proper motivation, and keeps the story moving along. Plankton wasn’t that exciting of an antagonist (Though really, this is like the hundredth time he’s tried to steal the formula, so there’s really no surprise there), I felt his presence was a little boring. I would’ve rather a more original threat to SpongeBob & Sandy, maybe some creature they run into on their adventure. Maybe Yeti Krab, that way his random appearance at the end of the episode isn’t entirely unnecessary, and gives Sandy a more legitimate reason to beat the snot out of Krabs at the end. I don’t know, this episode’s general concept of Sandy/SpongeBob going on an adventure collecting ingredients for the Krabby Patty could’ve made for a much better episode, had Zeus decided not to make this into a Plankton episode. It’s just a premise so tired at this point, it would’ve been great to spice things up. Overall, I’d say this is an Okay Episode. I give it a 6.2/10

I've seen all of those, except Shopping List. Was that aired that week with all the episodes and I just missed it?

I really liked Patnoccio, I thought it was really funny. My least favorite would have to be Krusty Kleaners, due to how dull it could be at times, though there were a few funny jokes here and there.

5 minutes ago, NegiSpongie said:

I've seen all of those, except Shopping List. Was that aired that week with all the episodes and I just missed it?

No, Shopping List has not aired in the United States yet, but an english version is floating around online.