• Advertisement

Clap Chat: Clappy Reviews TV

Clappy

Wait didn’t I have a previous tv series review thread that I wasn’t dedicated to at all?  You’re right all four of you who remember that flop of a thread.

If it isn’t obvious, I want to improve my reviews of anything television related.  Hence why I’m trying this again.  But instead of limiting myself to individual episodes of any show, I’m going to open myself to do much more.  I’ll be making top and bottom ten lists.  I’ll be reviewing series as a whole.  Hell I might try to do season by season reviews like Wumbo and Cyanide.

So with that being said, what am I going to do first?

F582650C-0B3B-448F-9D72-9074BC7B5811.png

What proud show should be my first victim?

Not a surprise to those I told on Discord yesterday, but let’s talk about Family Guy.  A show I’m going to dedicate two separate posts towards.

My first project is my Top 11 Worst Episodes of Family Guy.  Why eleven?  Because I like to go one step further and because if any of you remember the old thread, you all know one of the episodes already so I want to surprise you with my thoughts on another one.

Coming soon.

• Like 4
  • God Himself 1

I have a lot of fun with reviewing TV. I'm planning to migrate to a blog soon however, but I'll gladly post the link somewhere when it's ready.

Anyway I'd love to have you review TV. Very excited for your reviews!

Edited by CyanideFishbone

10 minutes ago, Clappy said:

Man, where did this show go so wrong?

This used to be one of my favorite shows of all time.  I may have grown up with The Simpsons and I like and respect what that series accomplished and how it will go down as one of the most iconic shows of all time.  But I never loved The Simpsons the way I once did for Family Guy.  Family Guy during its first three seasons, hell I’ll even go that extra mile and say the first few years after its multi-year cancellation was just iconic. 

And then something happened.  It stopped being good.

It seems today, that all we see, is Family Guy becoming everything the naysayers said it was.  It relied too heavily on cutaways.  Some jokes were overlonged to kill off runtime.  It rehashes its own jokes.  Too many pop culture references.  It goes for shock value too much.  Seth MacFarlane preaches his own views through his own shows.  I could go on and on, but yeah it was becoming a parody of everything bad the critics said it was.  And it started to embrace its own badness.

But you know what.  It’s been a few years.  Maybe I should look into this show and see if it is really deserving of all those times I placed it on my year end worst lists.  I’m up for the challenge.  Let’s make it a Top 10 list…oh wait you guys already know what one of my choices will be based off my previous television review thread.  Nevermind.  A Top 11 list.  Let’s do this!

CLAPPY'S TOP 11 WORST FAMILY GUY EPISODES

Hide contents

So I’m going to cheat.  This isn’t a Top 11 list.  This is a Top 12 list…sort of.  Yeah my number eleven choice is a tie because this is practically the same damn episode.

11. “Foreign Affairs” (S9)/”Internal Affairs” (S10)

Or at least a continuation of sorts.  Bonnie and Joe’s marital troubles sure are supremely forced.  Around Season 7 onwards was when all these characters became terrible people with no real conscious, but you can look no further as to where Bonnie became a spiteful woman.  That’s seriously what her character is now since she’s no longer pregnant.

Let’s start with Foreign Affairs.  Where Lois and Bonnie both go to Paris because the plot tells them too and Bonnie tries to force Lois to have an affair since that’s what she is there to do.  Why?  Because she hates the fact that Joe is paralyzed and questions her love for him.  Yep, selfish sounds right.  Oh and Peter becomes a home school teacher because why not.  The subplot is nothing more than just Peter being an obnoxious moron to his children and we get to watch the full music video for “Dancing in the Street” because Family Guy wants to knock off as much of the runtime for their episodes as humanely possible to piss us all off.

And then you have Internal Affairs.  Where they make Joe completely irredeemable by having him cheat on Bonnie.  Not without pressure from his two toxic awful friends who think it is only fair that he cheats since she did the same.  To the people reading this thread.  Just because your partner cheated on you doesn’t mean you are allowed a free pass.  That moral is beyond fucked up.  I don’t care how awesome the song “Africa” is.  That song doesn’t justify these two people who clearly don’t love each other anymore to get back together.

So yeah, these two are equally as terrible and the coming seasons where Bonnie keeps daydreaming of ways to kill Joe can all lead back to these two completely unbearable episodes as the breaking point.

Hide contents

Now here’s a claims I hear quite often.  Season 6 was the last great season.  Not a single bad episode.  You guys sure about that?

10. “Padre de Familia” (S6)

So here’s a fun fact about this episode.  It was released during the 2007 Writer’s Strike.  Where practically any television series or movie with a script ceased production on their shows because all the members of the Writer’s Guild of America went on strike for months upon end.  Family Guy had a couple episodes that were in post-production that 20th Century Fox forced out anyway against Seth MacFarlane’s wishes because they were practically done and only needed to be edited.  This was one of those episodes. 

And that is partially to blame for why this episode sucks so much.  So many of these scenes needed to be edited from actual professionals because so many of these scenes are so clunky and make zero context with the actual episode.  The only way to make this more tolerable is to watch this on Adult Swim where it is unedited and a lot of the jokes that missed make so much more sense.

But no.  My real problem with this episode is the heavy amounts of stereotyping gone horribly wrong and completely tasteless.  Laugh at the portrayal of Hispanic culture.  LAUGH DAMN YOU!  I get that stereotyping for shock value is Family Guy’s shtick at this point and sometimes it can be funny.  But making an entire episode dedicated to it is just crude and tasteless.  Sadly, this isn’t the Family Guy will dive into this well.

Hide contents

Honestly almost all of this list revolves around the main plot line of the episode being the worst part.  This is the only episode where the B plot is justifiably bad enough to be the main reason it’s on this list.

9. “Brian Griffin’s House of Payne” (S8)

After starting off with an admittedly awesome visual sequence within Stewie’s imagination, everything goes supremely south from there.  The whole B-plot of Stewie getting head damage from Meg and Chris is horrible.  The fact that they cover this up for weeks with endless amounts of disguises just goes to show how beyond irredeemable these characters are.  Especially Peter who says that this is a common occurrence for him too.  And his idea to frame Lois is icing on top.  Every minute involved with this god awful B-plot just makes this episode that much worse.

Oh yeah, the A-plot is another Brian is a lowkey horrible writer story.  It’s always funny to poke fun of just how pretentious of a piece of shit he is and watching it devolve to a garbage sitcom always puts a smile on my face.  Not saying that I liked the A-plot, no.  They’ve done better in the series.  But would I take it over probably the worst B-plot of the entire series?  Hell yes in a heartbeat.

Hide contents

8. “Stewie is Enceinte” (S13)

What did you guys expect?  Does the title alone not spell it out for you that this episode is B-A-D?  I knew this episode was going to suck the moment they teased that this episode was going to happen online.  I’m just surprised I didn’t hate this episode more to be honest.  Even Brian you have to feel bad for here.  The reason this episode sucks is because Stewie is a psychopath who “just wants to spend more time with Brian”.  I put the air quotes around there because normal people don’t think impregnating themselves will resolve their problems.

And when Stewie does become pregnant, he becomes extremely annoying.  LAUGH AT THE PREGNANT TODDLER EVERYBODY!  HE’S ACTING LIKE A NORMAL PREGNANT FEMALE!  No he did this to himself because he’s a sociopath.  Oh and the babies are fucking disgusting.  I did not need to see fanart of what Brian and Stewie’s children would look like come to life.  And watching that one humanoid puppy drown in the water was morbid (as well as knowing the deaf one got killed by a lawn mower).  Do I even need to justify the other plot?  Let’s move on.

Hide contents

Hey guys, remember the time Brian and his roommate disagreed about the OJ verdict?

Did you know they made a whole episode loosely around that idea?

7. “The Juice Is Loose” (S7)

For the longest time this was my worst episode.  Not because of how tasteless it is for Family Guy to tackle one of the most publicized lawsuits of all time so distastefully, but because the jokes are pretty much “OJ DID IT LOL”.  And as true as that statement is, at least try to spice up the jokes a bit.

I used to hate this just because it was the same damn joke over and over, but now it’s just boring.  It is them trying to shock you with the fact that they are going that far.  Look OJ Simpson is literal scum of the Earth, but look at South Park for example.  They are at least smart with what they do with episodes revolving around scum criminals.  The Charles Manson episode of South Park is seriously one of the best series has ever done because they were witty with the jokes surrounding his case and associating to real life.  Family Guy is dangling around OJ Simpson but not doing anything with him.

Hide contents

HEY DID YOU GUYS KNOW SETH MACFARLANE IS AN ATHEIST!?  AND HIS CONSTANT SLAPS AT RELIGION PRODUCE SOME OF THE WORST FAMILY GUY EPISODES!?!?

6. “The 2000 Year Old Virgin” (S13)

Look there is no way to put this lightly, but I hate when Family Guy mocks religion.  Not All Dogs Go to Heaven is spared from this list for the B-plot actually being good.  Not a single minute of this episode is even the slightest bit good.  At least in previous Jesus episodes, they throw in good jokes to go with Seth MacFarlane’s stances on religion.

This entire episode was Seth MacFarlane forcing his view on religion for twenty-two minutes straight.  This is just an angry man letting the whole world knows that he hates Jesus.  He wants to make fun of the fact that he’s never gotten laid.  He wants us to think that Jesus was never an actual virgin and that he used that stance as a way to having tons of sex.  None of this was purely intentional.  Even Seth knew that there would be backlash to his stances on Jesus portrayed through this episode.

For those of you who know me, I’m a proud Christian.  I don’t want to push my views onto anyone because I honestly believe that everyone has the right to believe what they want to believe.  That being said, I have my limits on what I can or cannot tolerate.  This took an extra step too far than Seth’s normal hot takes on religion straight into blasphemous and vulgar.  Next.

Hide contents

I told you all it was coming.

5. “Screams of Silence: The Story of Brenda Q” (S10)

I’ve already dug deep into this episode into the old thread, so I’m going to keep this relatively short.  If you want to know more of my thoughts, look it up.

In short, Family Guy should never tackle domestic violence seriously.  Ever.  Coming from a series where men hit women constantly for shock laughs, watching them tackle this subject in a completely serious manner is nauseating.  And then Quagmire’s speech about his sister being terrible for staying in such a toxic relationship is unforgiveable levels of bad.  Then killing her abusive boyfriend because he deserved to die is….god I dont even want to touch this episode with a ten foot pole ever again.  Onto the next one.

Hide contents

Yeah…no preamble.  Just sit there and let the visuals explain the episode itself.

4. “Herpe the Love Sore” (S12)

HERPES!  Sit there and bask in all the visuals of herpes.  From the hideously disgusting animation to look at to actual photographs of people with herpes.  I can’t watch this episode and not feel disgusted by the fact that I have to look at it for a good 2/3’s of the episode.  And to think, we’ve got no choice but to think that Brian was only brought back for his character to sink lower and lower with practically every plot after his death.  Yeah him giving a one year old herpes is definitely going to make us love this character being alive still.

Oh and the B-plot is pretty bad too.  The guys get their asses kicked by soldiers over their bar booth.  Using patriotic symbolism in such a misguided light is always frustrating and is a constant Seth MacFarlane-ism that I’m sick of.  Oh and yes let’s laugh at Peter suggesting that they have to start rooting for the Middle East because of them getting their asses kicked is not funny.

Hide contents

So we already talked about Family Guy dedicating a whole episode to stereotyping Hispanics.  Is that not tasteless enough for you?  They can do other ethnicities so much worse.

3. “Turban Cowboy” (S11)

Pretend none of you knew this episode existed and just judged it based on the title.  You can already pinpoint what Family Guy is going to do up to this point and even then, you can’t help but feel dead on the inside thinking that stereotyping all Muslims are terrorists would even begin to correlate to laughter.  This episode deserves to be this high on the list alone for that premise along with the one infamous cutaway involving the Boston Marathon as well as the very end.  One of the worst endings, if not THE WORST, in Family Guy history.

God seeing Family Guy go down this road with their controversial typecasting episodes makes me long for the days of When You Wish Upon a Weinstein.  Yeah there is shock value with how they portray Jewish people, but at least there was a sense of heart behind the episode itself.  Peter wanted a Jew so he can help get his life in order and not be a disappointment to his family.  Peter just wants to be Muslim because he thinks it’s freaking sweet HEHEHEHE.  There is no heart behind these insensitive episodes about other cultures.

Hide contents

So I don’t think this comes as a surprise to any of you, but I don’t watch Family Guy on the regular anymore.  My viewings have been sporadic ever since the end of Season 9 when I felt like this show has no real appeal to me anymore and is just a shadow of its former self.  Family Guy for the past five or six years has just become a trainwreck that you can’t look away from so I would tune in on occasion to watch notoriously bad episodes or surprisingly good ones.  But even then, I knew I haven’t watched them all.  That’s why I did this two part project.  To watch any episodes that flew under the radar and that I never watched before.  Needless to say, every episode that made my Top 11 I’ve seen before for being notoriously bad or their badness I didn’t realize until rewatching.  And then there was this one…

2. “Brian’s a Bad Father” (S12)

I’ve never seen Brian’s a Bad Father until this past week.  My jaw dropped after I sat through these unfiltered 22 minutes of pure shock and disgust.  At both plots.  Where the hell do I even begin?

How fitting that this also aired shortly after Brian was brought back to life, further proving my theory that the writers and Seth wanted to make us as an audience immediately regret ever wishing that.  To watch deadbeat dad Brian only use his neglected son Dylan to further his own career interests is just infuriatingly insufferable.  How the hell are any of us supposed to relate to this character except for other narcissists like Brian?  People don’t change.  Brian is going to keep being an egotistical asshat to Dylan every time they bring this character back into our lives, isn’t he?  I don’t care how many times he apologizes to Dylan.  He’s just going to keep being the same self-indulgent douchebag.

And the B-plot is just as bad.  Hell it might be worse.  Peter is a destructive sociopath who should be locked up for the rest of his life.  Quagmire has every right to want to end their friendship after being intentionally shot in the arm by his so called best friend.  Joe has just as big of a right to not want to associate with Peter either.  Peter threatening to commit suicide over this for attention is especially insulting to any real life victims of suicide and those who seriously contemplate it.  That Meg joke doesn’t help matters either.  And the resolution involving Joe shooting Peter in the arm and Quagmire shooting Peter in the head is just infuriating.

One more left….

And just to emphasize how bad this show has gotten and how many contenders there actually were for this list, a few dishonorable mentions

Hide contents

"Family Gay" (S7)

This episode has always been bad, but this nearly made the list for the repetitive jokes from previous episodes and ESPECIALLY the retarded horse opening segment.  Painful to sit through.

"Hot Shots" (S15)

Another episode that is Seth MacFarlane preaching about his stances.  This time vaccination.  Why the hell would Lois even be anti-vaccination in the first place?  Isn't that what Seth is in favor of or does he just want Brian to be the know-it-all dick?

"Peter's Sister" (S14)

Or as I like to call it, how to totally waste Kate McKinnon with such an infuriating character.  Would have made the list if it wasn't for Peter getting his just desserts for so many years of torturing everyone around him.

"Run Chris Run" (S14)

I swear they've made this episode of Family Guy like six times already.

"Brian the Closer" (S13)

Yeah WhoBob.  This episode definitely sucks.

"Thanksgiving" (S10)

If this was there plan on what to do to Kevin, then honestly they should have just left him "dead".

"German Guy" (S9)

Trying to make us sympathize with a pedophile, eh Family Guy?  If there was one character I wish we could have gotten less of post-cancellation, it's Herbert.

Quagmire's Mom (S13)

Consider this episode my honorary number twelve...or thirteen because of the tie.  Trying to make Quagmire, who is on trial for having sex with an underage girl, a backstory for his sex addiction and putting all the blame on how he was raised by his sex crazed mother.  Fucking awful.  And then him getting off free because his mom fucked the judge?  Even fucking worse.  Unjustifiable.

Hide contents

Could it be anything else?

1. “Fresh Heir” (S12)

Family Guy has made a ton of irredeemable crap during its now seventeen years of air time.  But nothing can redeem this episode.  Not even the slightest ounce.  You can’t go back from watching an episode about incest and pedophilia.  Do I even need to list off all the disturbing moments of this episode?  If you’re one of the few people in the world who think the idea of Chris giving his grandfather a handjob, Peter divorcing Lois to marry his own son, Peter checking out other underaged boys asses, and the implied sex Peter will have with Chris during their honeymoon, then good for you.  I have my limits and if there was any episode that made me stop watching Family Guy for a long ass time, this is it.  This killed off my interest in the show completely for a few years and while Season 16 has been a much needed improvement for this series, it will never erase this episode existing from my subconscious.  Fuck off Family Guy.

Nice list. I'm interested, how would you rank the seasons?

• Like 1

Such an excellent list Claps, even though there are a few I don't fully agree but totally understand. Although I'll say that I don't think Seth really cares much for the show anymore, so he lets the crew and the showrunner do whatever they want. So I wouldn't exactly blame hin for these episodes since he stated he wanted the show to end afted season 7. Anyway.

Spoiler

For honorable mentions:

- I never could hate Family Gay cuz retarded horse gag was so bad so funny to me but I really had issues with gay stereotypes in the episode. 

- I don't really hate Hot Shots but I understand the complaint. It was just so bland for me and I've seen worse social commentary on the show.

- Admitedly I liked Peter's Sister for at least giving us explanation on why he treats Meg bad but the episode at least sort of calls him out on it. Fuck Peter's sister tho, she got what she deserved at the end and I was glad Meg and Peter made up. Although like a good old Family Guy episode, what it comes next doesn't change much. Peter still treats Meg like shit.

- Run Chris Run was sooo dull I forgot it's existence. Although I'll say the episode does have a good message iirc, this type of episode has been done million times I have to agree.

- Yay, Brian the Closer can DIE.

- I liked Thanksgiving ep at first but I fell indifferent about it now.

- Fuck German Guy. Making us feel sympathy for a pedo just because he beated up a nazi. Both are atrocious human beings and I hated how this episode made Herbert a hero. Not the mention that 5 min old man fight scene. Cringe.

- Quagmire's Mom deserves hatred even after Mr. Enter reviewed it While Quagmire wasn't aware he stat raped, he still should have known better and that also doesn't excuse his sexual assault and rapist behaviour before. Quagmire's mom was such a shit character that made a creep get away with his actions. Fuck this shit.

As for the ones on the list.

- I actually liked Internal Affairs because I don't think the show tells us that Joe's behaviour was justified. It still caused a big trouble and the episode doesn't excuse Bonnie's actions too. I liked how it ended on them taking a slow step at the end but sadly a lot of developments of the episode didn't matter in future seasons. Plus any episode with a chicken fight is worth it. Fuck Foreign Affairs tho. One of the worst episodes for making Bonnie a despicable human being. Nothing in the episode was funny, except that sand trip Peter and kids took. That was funny.

- I have to agree that Padre the Familia is the worst s6 episode but I never could find it bad for whatever reason. Still mexican stereotyping was dumb.

- Brian Griffin's House of Payne had an alright A plot and I kind of liked that Brian was actually a good writer for once but that B plot was one of the worst that I couldn't stand every single minute of it. Poor Stewie didn't deserve the shit he gotten and 6 months of coma? Wtf. Yea this episode was so damn bad mainly for B plot.

- I still feel bad I couldn't find Stewie's Enciente as sickening as I expected but it's still one of the worst episodes for making Stewie a disturbing person. Yes, he is evil but not a total obsessive creep. And fuck Brian for wanting babies dead. Da hell? The birth scene and the drowning scene were so painful to sit through that I'm glad the episode didn't have more disturbing scenes like those.

- The Juice is Loose had a few funny bits like OJ using Stewie's head as a football but I hated how it sort of justified OJ's crimes by saying nobody is perfect and everyone in Quahog was fine with it until he started killing more at the end. And that Conway Twitty gag, just stop. Not the worst s7 ep but it's up there.

- I can take Jesus being a scammer/jerk jokes but this was too far. I'm not even Christian but making Jesus a creep was so unfunny that I facepalmed Peter let Lois sleep with him, so he can lose his virginity, NOT. Oh and the joke about implied joke about Peter looking at child/teen porn and then taking away the computer to sea for 4 minutes was just ughhhhhhh.

- Screams of Silencd was a shitty way to take an abusive relationship seriously because all It did was making fun of the situation and fuck Quagmire, an actual womanizer and a rapist/pedo, victim blaming his sister. Everything about this episode was facepalm that I can't believe I was downvoted on reddit for explaning why people hate this episode.

- Herpe the Love Sore is Brian at worst and bottom 5 material. Giving herpes to a kid and a teen with knowing it is actually sickening shit and I can't believe Brian made a half-ass apology for giving herpes. Who thought this episode was a good idea? Who still thinks Stewie/Brian pair is the only good thing about the show? And why does the Quahog citizens are ok with navy treating people like shit cuz they served the country? Get this trash out of my face.

- I was pissed at Turban Cowboy for muslim stereotyping and awful muslim jokes before because I used to be a muslim. Now I'm not and this episode still sucks for implying all muslims are terrorists. I usually don't like episodes being banned but THANK GOD THIS EPISODE IS BANNED FOR GOOD.

- Brian's a Bad Father makes Brian a horrid af deadbeat dad who cares about his writing than his actual son and I totally do not buy he actually changed for his son. We never get to hear Brian's kid ever again and that wasn't even the worst aspect. Worst was the B plot of Peter shooting Quagmire and trying to make up for it by giving Joe's baby daughter UHHHHH just no. And LOLOLOL Joe's son masturbating with a knife. HOW FUNNY? and how funny is seeing Quagmire shooting Peter's head and making him mentally challenged? Entire episode was a piece of shit that would be on my bottom 10-15.

- I don't need to say further why Fresh Heir is an abomination. Quality incest/pedo jokes, quality joke of Peter shooting his imprisoned twin brother, quality joke of Peter cutting a deaf teen's head. Why did this have to exist? I really wish I'd forget existence of this episode.

Family Guy is sooooo beyond redemption and the only way to treat the show right is by putting it out of its misery. Do people still watch this shit on TV? Just ugh.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, McSponge said:

Nice list. I'm interested, how would you rank the seasons?

Great question.  Had to really think about it for a bit, but here’s what I think:

2 > 3 > 4 > 1 > 5 > 6 > 16 > 9 > 7 > 15 > 8 > 10 > 14 > 11 > 13 > 12

And on that note, I would like to announce Part 2 of my Family Guy project:

Top 10 Best Episodes of Family Guy Starting With Season 10

Yes I want to challenge myself to pick out the best episodes of the downfall years of Family Guy.  Surprisingly, not all my choices are going to be from Season 16 despite how much I’m praising it being a real improvement season.  Amongst all my list choices and even in my honorable mentions, there will be representation from at least one choice from each season.

• Like 3

When it comes to post-Season 10 episodes I like, Back to the Pilot, Amish Guy, Killer Queen, Viewer Mail 2, Ratings Guy, Yug Ylimaf, Valentine's Day in Quahog, and Roads to Vegas are all what comes to my mind.

I only watched 3 and 1/3 seasons from that era yet I don't have any 12 episodes listed. Goes to show how much I hate that season.

• Like 2

If I had to rank

2 > 3 > 1 > 4 > 5 > 6 > 10 > 8 > 7 > 9 > 11 > 14 > 13 > 12 > 15

I pick season 15 as my least favorite because it's the most boring season ever and there are surprisingly more s12 eps I like than s15 but s12 still sucks ass hard.

Great job, Clappy. I can't wait to read more, despite the fact Family Guy is absolutely not my cup of tea.

Speaking about Family Gay, I will never get over the fact that the guy who wrote that episode and co-created The Cleveland Show wrote fucking Mother Simpson, one of the most touching 22 minutes of television I have ever watched. Not event that, it's also the genius of both Bart On The Road and Bart After Dark, but it's just.... what the hell happened?

Sorry to but my head in like that about The Simpsons, but it's absolutely crazy to me.

Edited by CyanideFishbone