(HM: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3)

Where as my worst list is:

5. Sonic Boom

4. Superman 64

3. Sonic 06

2. Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing

1. Desert Bus

(HM: 1 2 Switch)

What are your opinions on the best and worst games?

These lists only refer to games I have ACTUALLY played! Worst List:

5. "Mario Pinball Land", Game Boy Advance, 2005. 4. "Kirby's Dream Course", Super NES, 1995. 3. "Earthworm Jim 3D", N64, 1999. 2. "Star Fox Adventures", Gamecube, 2002. 1. "Street Fighter 2010", NES, 1990. Dishonorable Mention: "Sonic Labyrinth" Game Gear, 1995.

Best List:

5. "Super Mario World" 1991 Super NES & 2002 Game Boy Advance. 4. "Super Smash Bros. 4" 2014 3DS, Wii U, and 2018 Switch. 3. "Conker's Bad Fur Day" 2001 N64. 2. "The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask" 2000 N64 & 2015 3DS. 1. "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past" 1992 Super NES & 2002 Game Boy Advance. Honorable Mentions: "Super Mario Bros. 2" 1988 NES and 2001 Game Boy Advance; "Super Mario Bros. 3" 1990 NES and 2003 Game Boy Advance; "Secret of Mana" 1993 Super NES; "Final Fantasy III / Final Fantasy VI Advance" 1994 Super NES and 2007 Game Boy Advance; "Super Mario 64" 1996 N64 & 2004 DS; "Star Fox 64" 1997 N64 & 2011 3DS; "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" 1998 N64, 2002 Gamecube, and 2011 3DS.

Top 5

1. Hotel Mario

2. Knack 2

3. The Flowers of Robert Mapplethorpe

4. Bubsy 3D

5. Shadow the Hedgehog

Bottom 5

1. Super Mario Galaxy

2. Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door

3. Super Mario Odyssey

4. Pikmin 2

5. Super Mario Galaxy 2

• Funny 1
  • God Himself 2

1 hour ago, 4EverGreen said:

These lists only refer to games I have ACTUALLY played! Worst List:

5. "Mario Pinball Land", Game Boy Advance, 2005. 4. "Kirby's Dream Course", Super NES, 1995. 3. "Earthworm Jim 3D", N64, 1999. 2. "Star Fox Adventures", Gamecube, 2002. 1. "Street Fighter 2010", NES, 1990. Dishonorable Mention: "Sonic Labyrinth" Game Gear, 1995.

Best List:

5. "Super Mario World" 1991 Super NES & 2002 Game Boy Advance. 4. "Super Smash Bros. 4" 2014 3DS, Wii U, and 2018 Switch. 3. "Conker's Bad Fur Day" 2001 N64. 2. "The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask" 2000 N64 & 2015 3DS. 1. "The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past" 1992 Super NES & 2002 Game Boy Advance. Honorable Mentions: "Super Mario Bros. 2" 1988 NES and 2001 Game Boy Advance; "Super Mario Bros. 3" 1990 NES and 2003 Game Boy Advance; "Secret of Mana" 1993 Super NES; "Final Fantasy III / Final Fantasy VI Advance" 1994 Super NES and 2007 Game Boy Advance; "Super Mario 64" 1996 N64 & 2004 DS; "Star Fox 64" 1997 N64 & 2011 3DS; "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" 1998 N64, 2002 Gamecube, and 2011 3DS.

Not a bad list, I like "Kirby's Dream Course" but I won't really argue with you on the rest of them (I'm not crazy about Zelda in general, but objectively speaking it is a great series).

43 minutes ago, Honest Slug said:

Top 5

1. Hotel Mario

2. Knack 2

3. The Flowers of Robert Mapplethorpe

4. Bubsy 3D

5. Shadow the Hedgehog

Bottom 5

1. Super Mario Galaxy

2. Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door

3. Super Mario Odyssey

4. Pikmin 2

5. Super Mario Galaxy 2

LOL, I'm sure this list is a joke, but I honestly do love Shadow the Hedgehog myself. I haven't played Knack 2, but all I have to say is, why the fuck did they make a sequel to that piece of crap game Knack?

Top 5 Games I have played

5. Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball (SNES)

4. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

3. Super Mario 64 (N64)

2. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)

1. Super Mario World (SNES)

Top 5 Worst:

5 True Golf Classics: Waialae Country Club

4 Sonic and the Black Knight (Wii)

3 Mario's Time Machine (SNES)

2 Pac Man 2: The New Adventures (SNES)

1 Super Play Action Football (SNES)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, marioguy2 said:

Top 5 Games I have played

5. Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball (SNES)

4. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

3. Super Mario 64 (N64)

2. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)

1. Super Mario World (SNES)

Top 5 Worst:

5 True Golf Classics: Waialae Country Club

4 Sonic and the Black Knight (Wii)

3 Mario's Time Machine (SNES)

2 Pac Man 2: The New Adventures (SNES)

1 Super Play Action Football (SNES)

I like your lists! I agree that DK Country, Super Mario 64, GTA San Andreas, and Super Mario World were all great games, while Sonic and the Black Knight and Mario's Time Machine were shitty games. I'm also not a fan of sports games at all in general, so I can't say I'm opposed to the fact that you put 2 of them in your bottom 5! (I've never really played Pac Man 2 on SNES, so I can't give any input on that).

For worst I guess just your average stuff considered the worst.

Some of my favorite games ever include Pokemon Platinum, Guitar Hero 3, Mega Man 2.... I guess my favorite Mario is Mario Odyssey, so that too. Just feels a little weird to call it one of my favorites considering it came out only about 9 months ago.

Best (no particular order):

5. The Simpsons Hit & Run/The Simpsons Game

4. Rock Band 3

3. Battle For Bikini Bottom

2. Toontown Online

1. Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock

My worst list would probably all be Guitar Hero Live.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ataeaf said:

4. Rock Band 3

2. Toontown Online

While it wouldn't be in my Top 5, I'm glad you have The Simpsons Hit & Run in yours. That's an awesome game that I feel gets too overlooked.

1 hour ago, ataeaf said:

4. Rock Band 3

2. Toontown Online

Guitar Hero 3 is one of my absolute favorite games of all time, and while the animation doesn't really hold up all these years later, it kind of has it's own charm, but the gameplay has absolutely stood the test of time. As a big GH fan, GH Live was a gigantic letdown. My main issue is that it just does not feel like a Guitar Hero game at all. It's all so realistic and it just becomes so boring and banal. Come on, the final boss in Guitar Hero 3 is literally fucking Satan and he gets all the ladies and shit and the credits involve you standing on a podium in a dimension full of amps and shit and it's just like fuck yeah, I'm the best guitar player ever. Guitar Hero Live has you playing in first person in front of a cheesy live crowd. What the actual fuck.

Sure GHTV was kinda cool but just.... this does not feel like Guitar Hero in the slightest. There's none of that super campy awesome kind of fantasy element like there is in Guitar Hero 3 that made it super memorable, and Guitar Hero Live has NO campaign mode which pisses me off so much. I can not reiterate how much that game angers me. A dream come true would be another proper Guitar Hero game. We get all the awesome super ridiculous characters we got in GH3 (Midori is my main until the end but they were all so badass), we get the real rockstars (in GH3, that was Slash and Tom Morello and all that stuff), and maybe customizable characters? Well the ones in Guitar Hero 3 were definitely customizable with preset new outfits and guitars but maybe take that a step further in creating your own character and allowing us clothing again but letting us change the color or something? Idk, maybe this is way too ambitious. And of course, we've got to have a light and campy but kickass story of becoming the greatest guitar player ever with awesome venues and awesome songs. God that would be a dream come true.

I'm sorry about the little rant, but Guitar Hero Live pisses me off beyond all belief. It just could've been so great. But what we got was shitty offbrand Walmart Guitar Hero.

• Like 1

I'm not an open book on bad games nor have I played enough games that I disliked, but I have a bit of a top five favorites. As of this writing, my top 5, in no order, is Battle for Bikini Bottom, Kingdom Hearts, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Dark Cloud, and a three-way tie of the first three Spyro games (my definition of the Toy Story trilogy of video games if you will).

Edited by Steel Sponge

On 7/29/2018 at 8:23 PM, ataeaf said:

this would be the part where i comment that this is the only guitar hero game to have an on-disc track courtesy of nickleback, but then i remembered this also happened to be the game with fucking DILLINGER so nvm

just gonna post my thoughts on the whole series, while i'm at it

Spoiler

Guitar Hero 1 is... dated. Incredibly dated, in fact. You can tell this really was one of the first in it's genre. Especially the way the HO/POs work. I actually still can't figure it out, it makes a lot of these tunes tougher than they should be. That said, I can still see why this game was so acclaimed in it's day, It's just very much not the peak of this series.

Guitar Hero 2 on the other hand holds up pretty well. I remember being a BISH to Clappy in the Guitar Hero 3 thread about the cover songs, but nah I don't actually mind that much. In fact, I'd say the covers sort of give it a cool edge and sound mostly just like the originals (well, okay, I will admit the Killing in the Name cover is still unintentionally hilarious and Laid to Rest and Beast and the Harlot just sound... wrong(?) in a way I can't describe very well). That Guitar Hero 3 also had a good amount of covers didn't come across in my Spanky days, hmm. Anyway, still a pretty fun time, fuck Jordan.

Guitar Hero 3 is an incredibly nostalgic game, to say the least. I still recognize some of those covers as the "it-versions" of the songs. I somehow got exposed to Sonic Youth and the Stone Roses when I was 8. I beat career mode on Expert once. The overcharting of the levels that gives this game it's cult status is both a blessing and a curse, honestly. I guess most of these songs are at least intended to be hard to play on guitar, but some songs are just overkill. Besides that, holds up like wine and I still can't get more than 5 seconds into Dragonforce, fuck

There's no real denial that Guitar Hero World Tour wasn't at least partially an attempt to curb Rock Band sales, but I'm cool with it. It helps this was the first game of it's type I ever witnessed. I specifically remember the details. I was at Best Buy. The dude besides me was playing Living on a Prayer. I got to play a song. I picked What I've Done. I didn't know how to strum and failed miserably. On easy. Dad got the game that day and I don't even think I asked for it. History was made. I don't even think I noticed this game had Tool and Mars Volta tracks until I became a fan of those bands. Besides that, this is a great introduction to the series, and managed to be an essential starting point for me to get into music in general.

Guitar Hero 5 is Guitar Hero, the 5th time around. I like how it's the easiest to just pick up and play, and as eclectic of a track listing it has, there are lots of fun songs to play. It's just a shame that this was released in a time where rhythm games really did just seem oversaturated, and I don't have nearly the amount of memories I have associated with this game as much as I do 3 and World Tour. Still a fine entry to the series.

it also allows you to do this

so that's something

Warriors of Rock is in ways both telling of the troubled state these games were in by 2010 and also opens the games to possibilities they never really got to explore before they died? I never really got to spend a lot of time on this game, but I remember that I liked it, though not to the extent of previous games.

and uhhhhhh

If I can be honest for just a second, I think I enjoy the two DJ Hero spinoffs more than Guitar Hero now. I dunno, they just ooze of coolness. As a big fan of mashups and turntablism, they please me plenty.

Anyway, Guitar Hero Live was already mostly slaughtered by Cyanide but I'll just say this that he didn't mention. Rocksmith allows people to actually learn a real life skill, and even though I don't really care about the games, I appreciate what they try to do.

You can argue on a lot of things about Rock Band 4 (the DLC pretty much being majority pop music is my big one at the moment. they don't even try to cover up that most of those songs don't work on guit... i just remembered bangarang was on gh live while typing this, wew), but at the very least you can say it does an okay job at replicating this sort of old rhythm game. (I mean, they got fucking Lightning Bolt of all bands for the on-disc soundtrack. I can't completely hate a game for that.)

Guitar Hero Live is essentially trying to do both with it's controller I think? All I'm left thinking is that it's another way to play plastic guitar that doesn't really encourage you to rock out for real. And at that point, the only thing I want answered is; what was even the point of this game??????

as for five favorites that i can't bring myself to rank, uhhhhhh

• Saint's Row 2 (I feel kinda dirty for preferring this to any GTA game, but... I generally find this easier to get into and more fun to fool around in. It helps this baby probably has the best licensed video game soundtrack of all time)
  • Rock Band 3 (While I've mostly mentioned Guitar Hero so far and I indeed played them more... it really is true in hindsight that the Rock Band games were the superior ones.)
  • Jet Set Radio/Jet Set Radio Future (yeah, i might as well place both of them together considering they're basically both the same game)
  • THUG/2/AW (fuck i can't decide between these three games. i swear all the songs on those games' soundtracks are forever preserved in my mind)
  • That BelowStory gayyyyyyme (haha, like you wouldn't tell)
Edited by Burgerpants

Top 5 Best:

5) Assassin's Creed Syndicate (PS4)

4) Battle For Bikini Bottom (PS2)

3) Simpsons Hit & Run (PS2)

2) Kingdom Hearts Series (excluding Re:Chain of Memories...ish, Re:Coded and the mobile games) (PS3-4 remasters)

1) Watch_Dogs series (PS4)

(HMs: LittleBigPlanet series, The Simpsons Game, Lights Camera Pants, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Disney Universe - all PS3 and/or PS4)

Top 5 Worst:

5) Simpsons Road Rage (PS2)

4) Assassin's Creed Unity (PS4)

3) Plankton's Robotic Revenge (PS3)

2) Nicktoons Movin'! (PS2)

1) MySims Sky Heroes (PS3)

Edited by LocalAquatic