• Advertisement

Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus

Turo

Getting closure to this show after 12 years is genuinely surreal, though I genuinely hope this is the end and we don't get a needless reboot. Still hyped either way.

• Like 1

Wow, this actually looks like an adaption of the comic series. I can tell cuz it looks like the scene where Dib has been doing literally nothing but waiting for Zim to come out of his house for years and gets really gross and obese. Then has to get back in shape when Zim finally emerges.

I'm cautiously optimistic, ZIM is a type of show that oddly enough works the way it is but any attempt to replicate it could easily be annoying and obnoxious, so my hopes aren't the absolute highest but given that they've been doing comics I at least trust that the writing will still be true to the characters and won't be rusty

Looks amazing.

Sfill holing onto hope they animate nubs of doom and invader poonchy, out of all the half finished episodes those are the only ones to take place before the X-mas special, and one of them is mini moose S origin. So getting that pair would fill in that gap atleast.....

Definitely watching this. Loved Zim ever since a camp counselor showed me it years ago, and after watching the entire series about 2 years ago I was able to appreciate it on another level. The animation looks beautiful and man, it was just oozing with that delightfully demented Invader Zim charm. Really excited for this.

4 minutes ago, Steel Sponge said:

https://news.avclub.com/netflix-to-run-new-rockos-modern-life-and-invader-zim-m-1834694921

Same news for Static Cling, same B.S. from Nick and Viacom, but it's still relevant to the details regarding the TV movie's release.

Lol nick animation is completely dead. Like the next big cartoons we are expecting are SPONGEBOB SPINOFFS. I'm glad both Rocko and Zim movies will get good treatment on netflix. About time these movies get aired.

Gonna get into more details of the movie. A lot to cover up.

Spoiler

This movie wasn't amazing as I expected but still I had a high enjoyment out of this. How the movie started off was brilliant. It was interesting to see Dib hitting his lowest level with sitting on a chair and monitoring Zim's house since Zim "supposedly" disappeared and when Zim actually showed up, Dib was all powerless to stop him. I loved that and I'll get there why I loved it. And there was Zim hitting his lowest level when he realized that All Mighty Tallest was not coming to Earth anytime soon and that crushed him. The moment when Dib went back to his old self, get rid of the chair and confronted Zim, Zim was all there depressed, so he used that as an advantage to reveal himself to the World in a conferance of Dib's dad going to offer a world peace solution. I like that Zim and Dib once again parallel each other as they both are kids trying to impress people they look up to and prove them why they should be proud. Dib being his dad and Zim being Tallest. Of course those were both different situations but it worked so well for their characterizations to clash.

Of course, Zim being so depressed after Dib told him about the conferance ended up being an act and Zim fooled Dib that Zim actually had a success in sort of ruling the world. Now this was one of the most praises I give it to the special. I liked seeing Zim outsmarting Dib and actually being capable of getting the shit done. That did kind of make Dib dumb but he has always been obsessive and a little careless, so that didn't bother me as much. But of course this led to Zim's big screw up, which I'll get there. After all this, the movie kind of started to meander with Dib and Gaz being stuck in the house with Clembrane who thinks he's their dad. I found his character to be annoying and mostly not funny and that was one of my biggest negatives with the special. But it picked up once Zim revealed his master plan that he used Dib's dad's world peace plan to teleport Earth close to Tallest's ship, so they can notice Zim but that ended up creation Florpus that can potentially wreck the Earth. I had no idea what Florpus was about judging by the movie's name but that was a great twist to be sure.

The movie led to its third act which was my favorite part of the whole movie. Gaz's characterization was a little off judging by tv show's Gaz but I liked the change of her character this time around. Gaz has always been the mean and cruel sister to Dib, so it was nice that she was very supportive for Dib, while still being a mean sister. Dib and Gaz finally got out of the house and went to the prison Zim sent Dib's dad in. They got there but they also got captured which eventually made them be in same cell with their dad and they later broke out of the prison with the ship they took to get here. After that, the movie became heartwarming once Dib's dad told Dib he doesn't need to prove him anything to be proud of. That moment wrapped up Dib's conflict with his dad in a sort of satisfying way. And once they all confronted Zib, the big battle started and it was when the movie became so awesome and epic. Animation was at its finest and comedy was some of the best here with stuff like the ham which Gaz threw it to Zim. But what was incredible and perhaps my favorite part of the special was when they entered Florpus that it created such a trippy sequence I loved so much. Cartoons have done this before with switching up animation and art style to make it look so epic but regardless, I loved all of it. It showed a lot that crew put a lot of work and dedication to this project that the whole zany and trippy climax paid off masterfully. Eventually Dib's dad saved everyone and everything sort of became back to normal.

Not gonna lie, this whole movie's ending kind of left me a bit disappointed but that was more about the expectations I have had. Surprisingly they didn't do the unscrapped "Invader Dib" storyline but I can bet behind that. What disappointed me was that this movie wasn't exactly a "series finale", even though the scale and the climax felt like a big bombastic finale. I suppose you can say that this movie was never promoted as a conclusion to the series and that's true but I wish that was kind of the case. Dib's dad and everyone on Earth was once again clueless about Zim being an alien that warped them out of their place and Zim got away with his crimes like a classic Zim episode. I would have liked better if Zim had some karma about all of this and Zim was once again clueless about All Mighty not giving any crap about him but this time he fooled himself thinking All Mighty Tallest was proud of him. Although this movie did sort of wrap up All Mighty Tallest by sending them to Florpus where they can suffer with constant (animation) change in their body. So that was pretty satisfying to see.

I didn't talk about Gir much because he's mostly comic relief and he was once again the case here but I really liked him for the most part. His song, the giant pizza joke, flying a dog to space and making a throne for Zİm that shoots flame peanuts. The movie's comedy didn't always work for me but it had some great gags. I especially loved the sneaking joke house computer made and Zim's neighbours being so stupid about Zim's identity. And Minimoose stuff was great. I could have done with less Clembrane and less screaming and randomness but overall, If you love Zim's comedy, this will do the job just fine. 

To sum up my opinion: This movie wasn't exactly satisfying in terms of closing out arcs sometimes and the movie wasn't without its flaws but it was such a fun and clever movie that made Zim why it was such a joyful and over the top epic cartoon.

Grade: B+

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought this movie was really amazing! After not seeing Invader Zim on tv for years, this special did not disappointment and had me laughing throughout the whole thing. Out of both Enter the Florpus and Static Cling, I think this one was my favorite.

Spoiler

When I saw the previews, I could tell that the movie would be adapting the first issue of the comic, which it did. But up until the part where Dib gets back into shape, the plot divulges from the comic and goes off to do its own thing, but still ends up being very good. The opening part was really funny with Dib's narration over the anime style animation. I also really enjoyed Gaz's characterization, while this too is actually adapted from the comics where she is no longer the emotionless uncaring sister, but takes interest in Dib's antics just so she can torment him about it and shows more emotions. The side plot of Dib wanting to make his dad proud him was very nice and sweet, never thought IZ could be capable of being sweet. Dib comparing his situation with his dad to Zim's situation with the Tallest was good, I didn't even notice it before. It was great to see Zim get the upperhand over Dib and finally accomplishing his goal to take over the earth. While I remember there were episodes where Zim would one-up Dib, he seemed to really be on his game this time by pretending to be pathetic and unleashing his plan when both Dib and Gaz had their guards down. GIR's peace song was annoying catchy, and of course seeing Zim being completely oblivious to the danger everyone was in and being in denial to the fact that he screwed up was nothing new since that has been seen in the show numerous times. I also didn't expect the Florpus to be some kind of deadly wormhole. The last act was the best part for me with the Membrane family teaming up against Zim to save the earth from the Florpus, all while Membrane himself is oblivious to the fact that alien life is real despite being face to face with it and him being the one to save everyone. The changing art styles while in the Florpus was amazing, and this being the fate of the Tallest was hilarious. Overall, this was an amazing special with great jokes, humor, and characters.

• Happy 3