• Advertisement

Titans (Live-Action Show)

TJ

"Fuck Batman"

what the hell is this? I mean aside from Robin, Hawk and Dove costumes, I literally can't say anything positive about this. Were Teen Titans comics that dark? Why do Starfire, Raven and Beast Boy look atrocious? Why is it so edgy and moody? This is bloody Titans where teammates are friends with each other and have fun adventures. Here, it's like a mix of Zack Snyder movies and Arrowverse. My hopes and dreams for this went to 0. Oh well, we still have Young Jusitce: Outsiders.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

31 minutes ago, WoahResurrectedCrap22 said:

Just remember that the TT comics weren't anything like the anime-based classic we all know. But, I don't dig this.

But STARFIRE...holy crap, whose idea was it to choose that hairstyle on her?!

I know but people told that at the very least best Titans runs focus on their wild adventures with having friendship. That aspect isn't the case here.

well, I saw the first episode and I'll keep you updated with reviewing each episode. I'm gonna spoil a few aspects of it, just to make people see if it's actually worth watching but not gonna reveal all.

Pros:

- They got Dick as Robin quite right. Well, alright, he's not really cheerful like Dick right now but I liked that direction because this is just Robin without Batman and he's just experiencing to handle his own shit and angst towards his fallout with him. I really hope they develop him further to be more cheerful but so far, I'm interested in him.

- I really liked Raven here. I'm still not too sure on the actress but her origins are pretty much discussed here. not deeply, just a few hints but she's just as dark as she should be and that was pretty damn cool.

- Beast Boy introduction came out of nowhere but man, CGI was actually good with him and they totally nailed his character from the beginning.

- My god, my biggest fear in the show was that they'd cut down the locations but they didn't. We have seen many different places that I'm so glad they aren't gonna limit themselves at least. I know that seems like asmall thing but after seeing same places on arrowverse, it feels so fresh to see this show everywhere.

- "fuck batman" was so bad so good but aside from that, the dialogue was alright and not as corny as I expected.

- pacing was good alright and the character connections didn't feel forced or weird. It fit the plot just fine.

Cons:

- It's just as edgy as you expect from the trailers. so much blood and angst filled with some brutal kills. I get Teen Titans comics weren't sunshine and rainbows, especially how 2003 cartoon is more lighthearted but man, just cut it down. Especially the scene where 

Spoiler

Starfire literally snapped a criminal's neck with cold blood was beyond godawful. yeah, that happened.

So yeah, that aspect sucks already.

- Starfire introduction was soooooooooooooooo bad. The costume looks just as same from promos and I already hated it (at least there's a good explaination for her awful costume, so my biggest hope is that costume to be done soon) and giving her "amnesia" plotline was insulting. Amnesia plots usually don't interest me and that was a bad way to sell me on her. After how much she got praise from first 3 episode reviews, I'm quite let down by her introduction.

- Action scenes were so bad. Ok not all of them were bad but the first action from the trailers (the one with Robin and criminals) had so many cuts that I had a hard time seeing Robin kicking ass. The other ones were just mediocre at best.

- iirc that was Dove with Dick in the police department but her introduction was just there, nothing special thus far.

well, that was all folks on the first episode. Honestly it wasn't as bad as I expected and most of character introductions were handled well but bad aspects I feared were there, it was too dark at parts and action needs improvement. So yeah, I just didn't really like the first episode but the show does have potential to be actually good and I hope this is one of the cases that the first episode is always rocky and other episodes are the good stuff we are getting.

Grade: C+

• Like 1

Second episode alright!

Pros:

- As an episode that introduced Hawk and Dove (I mixed up Dove with Dick's new cop partner in episode 1, now I feel bad.), it did an alright job. I bought their romance and I liked how Dove is usually a more rational one whereas Hawk is more of a jerk to others (with good reasons) but he does treat Dove well. I still don't know too much about their own stories and I hope that'll be explored more in the future episodes but I feel fine about them thus far.

- The action seems better this time around. Still needs a room full of improvement but I sort of liked the first action scene with Hawk and Dove.

- Their costumes are just as amazing as the promotions. I can't praise enough for that.

- HAWK IS BLOODY SEXY. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

- Dick and Rachel dynamic continues to be the best part of the show and I liked that Dick is being more developed as a character here. It showed a lot of his flaws and while I'm not the biggest fan of his rage personality, I get why he's a dark character in the show.

- it's spoilers, so I'll just leave it here.

Spoiler

the villain that wanted to kidnap Rachel in the first episode has a family and they are basically pschopathic with power drugs. Yeah, the show being edgy isn't my thing but the family was godly enough.

Cons:

- It's a bit surprising that there was no Starfire and Beast Boy this time around, alright...

- it's a nit-pick but I don't like F-bombs in the show.

- Edginess is still a thing and ehhhhhhh, yeah. Especially the crime boss that wanted to cut Hawk's dick and I was like, just why? That kind of shit works in a character like Punisher, not fucking Titans characters. oh wait, sorry for my swear.

- Not really into the whole Dick situation with Hawk and Dove they revealed here. I just hope they don't go too far with this sort of thing and not make one of these characters look really awful with this story.

This episode wasn't anything special and I don't really have strong feelings for this one but It was decent and a big improvement over the first episode and the plot is moving at a good pace.

Grade: B

8 hours ago, Red Death said:

- Edginess is still a thing and ehhhhhhh, yeah. Especially the crime boss that wanted to cut Hawk's dick and I was like, just why? That kind of shit works in a character like Punisher, not fucking Titans characters. oh wait, sorry for my swear.

Image result for wtf tiffany pollard gif

Well, third episode of the series was actually

good. I mean really really good. Compared to first two episodes that tried to be so edgy, this one tones it down and it focuses a lot on the characters and interactions I was mostly impressed.

Pros:

- While this wasn't as Starfire centric as I expected to be, Kory's actress sold me on the role. She still has amnesia but the character is still likeable enough. I liked how protective Kory was towards Rachel and I enjoyed their dynamic, while Kory was looking for some answers on why she looks for her and who she is. I still really want her to gain her memories back soon but the storyline isn't as painful as I expected and I'm liking it

- This one focuses more on Dick's origins and I gotta say I liked it very much. While I get tired of constant origin stories, this was necessary for new audience who know nothing about Dick Grayson as Robin. I enjoyed it. Young Dick's actor solded it and Dick in the present is doing pretty good as well.

- Rache continues to be delightful and It was compelling to see her situation being similar of Dick when he was a kid. I still love their dynamic and Rachel was pretty damn badass and scary at the end.

- This one doesn't have much action scenes but the two ones it had with Kory were seriously well done. Not the most memorable action scenes but they were fun and It showed how much Kory was badass on her own. When she is not on fire literally, she is on fire figuratively.

- Beast Boy aka Gar wasn't in this episode much but this is the first time he interacted with Rachel and I already dig their dynamic and I'm so happy Gar is just as cheerful as he should be. No worries Beast Boy fans, he gets the spotlight in next episode.

- Nuclear Family is still a treat. Not much else to say about that, other than that.

- Man, It's a minor thing but I was so pleased that almost all of this episode was during daylight and production of this show thus far continues to impress me.

Cons:

- Nit-pick but during one scene, I found a weird plot hole of Rachel literally blowing up every car's window in the park, except Dick's car. I mean ummm okay...

- Starfire costume is still bad (at least that is gonna be temporary woot)

I mean ummm people will get confused and call it bias but honestly I'm grading it high. I legit had fun watching this. 

Grade: A-

Well, looks like we have another good episode in our hands. The show has surprised me a lot in Origins and this episode continues to make the show interesting.

Pros:

- This is the first episode to fully introduce Beast Boy, aka Gar to us. Before this episode, he just appeared in cameos. Here we finally got to know more about him. His backstory, his relationship with Doom Patrol and his reckless but caring attitude. I liked his dynamic with Rachel. He was really loveable goofball and I'm glad they managed to keep him that way. My only disappointment is that he can only turn into Tiger but It seems that Beast Boy isn't fully aware he can turn into any animals and he just thinks tiger is the best animal, so it makes sense. Otherwise, I'm pretty much ok with his interaction.

- Speaking of introductions, I was feared a bit that introducing Doom Patrol from the fourth episode would feel out of place and messy but it wasn't. I really enjoyed Doom Patrol members here, even though we didn't get to see them using their powers much. Especially Robot Man, whom I really felt awful for his condition. Elasti-woman was a bit creepy but it made sense why and she was still a nice character. Negative Man was pretty fun and charming. I'm not sold on Chief's character yet but rest of the gang were pretty interesting and this enough made me hyped for their show.

- They are definitely not fooling around with the budget. CGI looks damn good, costumes look unique and real, hats off to Robot Man suit bravo. Raven finally got more powerful as she should be. Beast Boy's tiger form was cool. The location settings look damn great. I can't praise it enough. The series definitely feels like a Netflix series and I mean that as a compliment. 

- While Raven and Beast Boy were the main focus, I enjoyed Dick and Kory interacting with each other. Ironically it's usually Dick that calms down Kory in the comics but this was the other way around and it still worked. Dick's anger was finally called out and it's gonna be interesting to see how that plays out in the future.

Cons:

- Perhaps my biggest and only complaint is that the ending felt very rushed and how Dick and Kory suddenly feels like they needed to add Gar to the gang left my head scratching. I suppose he's there to comfort Rachel but they don't explain that. Gar just joined the gang like that and I wish they'd give episode a couple of more minutes to make the pacing more balanced. 

Yet another damn good edition to the show and I'm so pleased that after two rocky episodes, they finally got the right tone and I hope they keep it.

Grade: B+

44 minutes ago, 70s said:

Oh, there's a thread for this. It's good, y'all! I was only watching because Brenton Thwaites and Ryan Potter are cute but I find myself looking forward to watching it every week.

I stopped reviewing the show because it was going through spoiler stuff but man, I actually like it. I don't think it can compete with some of excellent superhero shows this year yet but it's good and it's doing (mostly) a good justice to these characters. Jason Todd ep especially was the biggest highlight. It can always do better with action and budget (like Beast Boy turning more than just freaking tiger) but stories they built up really invests me and dynamics are so good.

I just hope they add Roy, Wally and Garth to line up silver age Titans group as well because they are really overshadowed by famous Wolfman crew and I'd love to see having stories with them and interacting our main characters and adding more DC lore to the show. Also add Cyborg to s2 after Doom Patrol plz...

Yeah, I actually unironically enjoy the show.

lol, I am sooooooooooooo disappointed. Now that I've seen all episodes, I can say that first season of the show seems like pure experiment, rather than a cohesive storyline because all it did was set up and not enough of plot development and even if there was, i was let down by some of its conclusions. Lets dive in to the spoilers.

Spoiler

After all that build up to Trigon, all this season finale did was taking place in a freaking dream world where Batman finally crossed the line and it was up to Dick to stop him. Now that doesn't sound like a bad premise, it was all meant to develop Dick to be away from darkness. This was what they focused on Dick throughout this season and I can say that, all this season finale did was regressing Dick's development. I seriously did not care for Dick taking the dark path and becoming possessed by Trigon. Trigon meddled with him, yeah but he still made the choice to kill Batman. I was like WTF. That's not what Dick's arc should've led up to. I seriously hope season 2 will fix this because I don't give a fuck about this storyline anymore. I just wanna see Dick becoming Nightwing. Not some possessed kill machine they are probably making him to become. So yeah, this was a serious let down.

The placement of this episode was so bad. It seriously needed one more episode to actually feel like it had a conclusion. I get why they needed to stretch Trigon story and I was fine with it but i didn't like how this season ended on a dream sequence, instead of all that set up to have Hank, Dawn and Jason to help Rachel. I didn't like that they ended this season finale with Dick, instead of Rachel since Rachel's plot is the main focus of the season. Not only this season finale felt out of place, entire of this season didn't feel like they mashed well together. I get they were going for stand alone episodes to develop characters but it was such a bizarre choice to have a Hank and Dawn episode in the middle of climax to Kory trying to kill Rachel (it was Kory's mission to kill her from the beginning just saying) or Trigon coming to Earth, only after that, we get an entire episode on Batman going bananas. Forget even storyline, characters' own stories were tossed to second season. We didn't get a conclusion to Gar losing control to his Beast Boy persona, none of Kory backstory aside from spaceship crash, Hank and Dawn stories having nothing to do with Rachel and all that. Only Dick had an actual arc and even that was concluded badly. You can throw all fanservice you can and don't me wrong, those nods were cool but this season needed a better structure. I seriously hope that season 2 will fix that. It needed more episodes in a show with a group of superheroes and lol, this was all just a prequel, instead of the actual superheroing. Oh well, at least Conner Kent and Krypto stuff in post-credit scene was cool.

All negatives are in the spoiler section. To summarize, the show had a messy struction, unbalanced pacing and a badly concluded character arc. If we talk about actual positives, gotta admit that this season had great episodes with focus on guest stars (Jason Todd and Donna Troy mostly) and Hank and Dawn episode was great, despite some of them were interfiering in the stories of the season. I like acting, most of characterizations, cinematography in the show. I love the feel of the show actually embracing DC universe. Action was great when it needed to be. Grim of the show was handled well "for the most part". The show still has potential to become such an amazing show and I get why this season would feel a mess. This is the first show of DC's own stream, so it makes sense how it was structred but the show desperately needs a better writing, cohesive arcs and balanced pace. The show was totally not as bad as I expected to be but it was hard for me to call this an actual good season after how it was concluded and how it was made.

Grade: B-

Best episodes: Origins, Jason Todd and Donna Troy

Worst episodes: Pilot, The Asylum, Dick Grayson