• Advertisement

Things/Shows That Scared You As A Kid

Those videos of YTers explaining what scared them as a kid inspired me to make this thread. While Halloween is three months away, let's do this early: what show/movie/book or anything scared you as a kid?

I can honestly name a ton of them:

If we're talking Spongebob, then Squeaky Boots. You know which scene I'm talking about. The constant close-ups on Krabs' eyes didn't help at all.

Others:

-I remember a trailer on every Rugrats tape that scared the crap out of me. It was some trailer for Paramount films, and it ended with a dragon staring at you. Watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSEJ2Pfuyqk

-Return To Neverland. At least the first trailer. Because when I think of Peter Pan, I think of Captain Hook in the middle of a BOMBING (or something like that). Him setting off the siren was the highlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z8XLYbzOkY

-Billy and Mandy. THREE MOMENTS actually. One of the openings with Mandy doing a jumpscare, the ending of Something Stupid This Way Comes, and TICKLE ME MANDY.

Yeah, that's all I got.

James and the Giant Peach

Those visuals were ridiculously creepy to me as a kid and gave me legit nightmares.  I ended up being taken out of my classroom and was given my own activities to do while the rest of the class watched.

That reminds me. One episode of Hey Arnold scared the crap out of me. From Mugged, after Arnold assaults a helpless man. For some reason, it was that one girl giving him the evil eyes, which only lasted like two seconds.

This...

v4JBp3l.png

And THIS was the face from those Rugrats tapes that scared me, in a very pixelated DA pic.

dragonworld__1994__by_johnhornsby-dbud8c

One more thing, Arthur, my favorite PBS cartoon had one moment. It was Arthur's Library nightmare. GOOD GOD.

I really absolutely did not like "Bump in the Night" as much as I actually liked claymation and stop motion even as a little kid. I found the main character absolutely creepy and probably was the source of a couple of nightmares and made me not even want to look underneath my own bed.  I didn't want to even see the opening. Once it was on I was out of the living room and in my room covering my ears. Looking at the opening to it now, I somewhat understand where my fear came from but I also find it kinda silly that I was afraid of it. It's strange looking, but not quite as scary as I remember it.

Now I'm actually more curious to watch it though and see what exactly childhood me refused to see o.o

One thing I do remember scaring the living daylights out of me as a kid was Lard Lad in the Shadow of the Colossal Donut level from The Simpsons Game. The idea of a giant mascot coming to life and terrorizing the city, potentially hunting me down, scared the crap out of me, and I remember having a very vividly detailed nightmare about it while staying in a Hilton in Nottingham around that time; we were situated pretty high up, too, so it didn't help matters at all. Nowadays the level's nothing more than frustrating to me; it's arguably one of the worst offered with the most asinine of objectives.

There's tons of these, but I remembered one from when I was about nine years old.

From the time I was about eight to ten years old, whenever I visited one of my cousins, me, him, and my older sister built a psuedo-tradition around watching TV and ordering Domino's. Haven't done it in years, but that's way beside the point. I remember when I was nine, we started watching South Park a lot while ordering pizza. I know I probably shouldn't have watched it then, but for the most part we were both mature kids, and my sister was about 12 and also pretty mature so we could handle it. His older brother who was around 14 at the time would sometimes be home just to be there in case one of an emergency or something, but he would never hang out with us, being a reclusive teenager and such. Anyway, I remember a good chunk of the satire and stuff would fly over my head but I enjoyed all the toilet humor and more adult jokes and stuff, but I remember watching the episode where all the kids accuse their parents of molesting them and the kids running the town and it spooking the fuck out of me. I had no idea it was a parody of Children Of The Corn or anything, but god, the imagery in that episode really freaked me out. I think the episode's hilarious now.

I remember Arthur and the Real Mr. Ratburn spooked quite a bit, watching it as a young'n. And we owned the VHS, the cover of which also spooked chibi me.

Arthur%27s_Teacher_Trouble_%28VHS%29.jpg

another one would be the fucking Crypt Keeper, mang. He scared me more than like any other movie monster/ghost/demon shit out there. The likes of Chucky and Pennywise the Clown had absolutely nothing on him in my book. He actually gave me nightmares, that's something Freddy never did. My family were fans of Tales from the Crypt back in the day (my mom was a huge horror buff in general, big reason why I love the horror genre as much as I do now), it scarred chibi me from the first time I could ever remember watching the gotdamned intro. I remember handling the actual stories of each episode just fine, but it was just that mothafucka I couldn't take lol. I specifically remember this commercial on the sci-fi channel way back when that showed this regular door in some house and the camera chilled on it for a couple of seconds until someone began chopping at it with an axe ala The Shining, then he would peer through the hole going "Here's Crypty!" and all and it scared the damn dickens out of me. I couldn't watch Casper without fast forwarding or leaving the room whenever his jump scare cameo came up. I didn't even watch Kids WB at all during the special Saturday morning blocks that he guest hosted. I just couldn't believe they would put his decrepit ass on there.

i also remember being scared of Cousin Skeeter, but that fear quickly died when I got over it enough to actually peep the episodes lol. That could mostly be chalked up to my overall fear of just unnaturally big, bulging eyes. It's like the only thing The Grudge movies had on me and I absolutely hated their DVD covers. My sisters used to torment me with that shit, putting it right next to me  as I slept so that I would wake up to that fucking sight for sore eyes.

There was also that one early sketch on Robot Chicken about twist endings and when it got to the Sleepaway Camp part my first time watching it, that shit unnerved tf out of 12 year old me. The face on that Barbie, the music, even the censor bar kinda added to it for some reason. It made me look up the actual thing it blew that out of the water lol I guess that sorta falls into the unnaturally big eyes category too. But funnily enough, that dragon in the Rugrats video tapes that Woahwoah mentioned never scared me as a kid.

• Like 1

One contender definitely had to be Courage the Cowardly Dog, but only Freaky Fred and King Ramses. Especially Freaky Fred, imo by far the worst thing in the entire show.

And for when I was very young, EMPEROR. PALPATINE. He obviously doesn't scare me at all now, but I used to be so scared of him that one time Return of the Jedi was on and I ran away so fast I fell down the stairs. XD

The face from Night Light. Also, there was some insignificant Rugrats episode that didn't necessarily scare me, but rather startle me. Pretty much any time a character would scream really loud, it'd briefly startle me. And not a crying wale, I mean an actual scream. Particularly Angelica's scream from her Cynthia doll going down the drain, and that one dream Chuckie had about him and Tommy exploring the Greenhouse. That episode in general was the most suspenseful one I used to watch when I was really little.