• Advertisement

Butch Hartman's Kickstarter

CyanideFishbone

Chances are you've probably heard of this already and already know who Butch Hartman is, but Butch Hartman has decided to launch a Kickstarter for a family-friendly streaming service that prides itself on entertainment that is "not negative" and trying to help children look away from mature content. Read more about it here: http://www.animationmagazine.net/top-stories/butch-hartman-launches-kids-streamer-oaxis-with-crowdfund-campaign/, and here's the kickstarter: 

I hate to be negative (no pun intended) and I look into everything with the best hopes, but this just seems like a complete disaster. I think by "non-negative" entertainment he means family friendly entertainment but it's just such a vague way to put it. The idea of an exclusively family-friendly streaming service would be a good idea if Netflix, Hulu, etc didn't already have a ton of child/family friendly entertainment and there's just nothing here to set it apart and there's no big names attached. Also, by what he says "Oaxis" (a really stupid name by the way but I'm not here to nitpick) provides it seems like he's biting off way more than he can chew. And an option for user generated content is just an awful idea. I'm sure there'll be some sort of filter or it will have to be checked by staff or something but I wouldn't be surprised if the system with both turns out to be really faulty. 

Opinions? Thoughts? I've enjoyed some of Butch's work in the past, but yeah, this isn't a good idea. 

This not an awful concept for a streaming platform...albeit being unnecessary. The video also seems to apparently blame the media as a whole for exposing children to family unfriendly content when parents could be to blame, or the children themselves for exposing themselves to the type of content. The way I see it, OAXIS is meant to serve as the solution to cable providers and other streaming platforms for pushing family unfriendly content for young viewers to see...except we already have the solution to that to. We already have so many family friendly content without a platform like OAXIS while streaming platforms and cable providers give parents the ability to control what their kids can and cannot watch. That shouldn't be so hard to do.

If OAXIS does ever pull through, the video streaming platform should be sure not to experience an Elsagate 2.0, 'cause inappropriate videos in disguise of child friendly content is a bigger issue at large than children having access to family unfriendly content through cable or other streaming services. Suppose that would be one motive for creating OAXIS, then I probably won't argue so much about the existence of the platform.

Edited by jjsthekid

Seems that Butch has just gone completely off the deep end with all this "no negativity" stuff. He's posted stuff like "I refuse to let negativity win" on his Twitter and posted "I refuse to let the bad guys win" over a pitch black background on his Snapchat story. It's just so..... weird. It's definitely not all this shit our country is going through right now, it's almost like he's threatening the execs/content producers/whatever that he thinks are corrupting young children with mature media or something? I don't know, but it's extremely offputting. I'm a positive guy like Butch, but it just feels so weird for him to start pushing all of this stuff pretty much right at once. 

• Like 5

Honestly, after Butch left Nickelodeon, and especially after FOP ended, he seems to have lost his mind. Oaxis seems like another nail in the coffin for this--he seems to be trying to replicate the power he had back when he worked at Nickelodeon, and is using people's nostalgia for shows like Danny Phantom to push it. (It's not the first time he's done this, just look at his YouTube--it's pretty much a striptease but instead of taking off clothes it's just talking about Danny Phantom over and over... also him forgetting he canonically wrote mpreg into his show and making a clickbait video about who Poof's "real" father is, and bringing us all to the concluson that Cosmo must've banged Juandissimo.)

The fact we don't even know what this thing will have is what especially worries me. For all we know, Oaxis will have nothing, and we'd be none the wiser and have just shovelled Butch 250k bucks for what'd be fundamentally a menu... insert joke about the PS3 launch titles here.

• Like 2

My name is OAXIS and I'm here to say- YOU'RE TERRIBLE! GO BACK TO REDONDO BEACH!

...Okay, with all seriousness, it's really safe for me to say that this streaming platform is DOA, but of course, it isn't really over unless Butch says it's over. There's seven days left until the campaign ends and it made a little over 100,000, so I don't think it'll ever pull through. Also, the more I look into Butch's pitch, the less faith I have in the project. It's ambitious, but it doesn't show exactly what it can offer while cable providers and any other streaming sites already have so many options for family-friendly content. I mean, it's merely a pitch, but still...

And while i respectfully cannot support OAXIS by funding it, hopefully that doesn't mean that I'm just the kind of person who spreads negativity and such. OAXIS is the kind of project that needs to be refined if it wants for me to convinced that it has a reason to exist.

Okay, are we just going to treat this like it's the end of the world? OAXIS is not a good idea even in my eyes, but it's not heinous.

Color me surprised that it reached its goal, so at least we'll eventually see what this project will actually look like.

I heard somewhere Butch Hartman was apparently insulting fans? Don't know where I've seen it but I definitely have.

Whatever the case, I eagerly await this to be the subject of one of those Youtube videos showcasing a once-hyped thing's massive downfall while that M83 song plays in the background.

I know it's kind off topic, but I saw this on Facebook and I couldn't resist sharing it here.

37287497_2117112305226789_22815491365892

Ok, real shit, this isn't the end of the world as @Steel Sponge said, but I was kind of expecting this. It won't affect us at all, but can't say the same for contributors if this turns out to be the disaster it seems like it'll be. We've just got to wait and see.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, President Squidward said:

i lost respect for butch months ago but here you go

That was the final nail in the coffin for me too, I saw that earlier today. Also, aside from his argument being said in such an incredibly self-centered way, he basically just attacked someone who I'm positive loved Butch's work and had never talked to him ever. I've lost a ton of respect for him ever since OAXIS, but yeah, that was the last straw

I'm about to get a little angry, but this man has just become a complete fucking buffoon. It's sad, really, because I love Danny Phantom (personally just not a huge fan of his other shows) but Butch is just so head-up-his-ass self centered it's insane. It almost feels crazy how highly he views of himself. EVERYWHERE he goes, everything he makes, he has to introduce himself as "Hey, I'm Butch Hartman! I created The Fairly OddParents, Danny Phantom, TUFF Puppy, Bunsen Is A Beast and your childhood!". One of the things that really irks me is so much of his channel is him talking about HIS work because as I said, he's an egomaniac, but he never talks about it in a negative light ever, what I mean is like "You know, I didn't like X part of X episode of X series", or "I wish I could've done X for X show/episode". Him saying Doogal sucked doesn't really count in my eyes because he basically revised the script if I remember correctly; it wasn't really made by him, it was a British? I think? film acquired by, uhh, well, we all know who now. Remember when he brought up Chloe, only to be like "Yeah i like her a lot"? I mean, the man should have his own opinion, but I'm sure he knows the backlash she has received from his fanbase. And that leads to clickbait. Butch uses clickbait up the goddamn wazoo. And I've fallen for it. I lost an hour of my life watching a livestream he did with Vic Mignogna (english voice actor of Edward Elric, one of my FAVORITE characters of all time) and TEASED talking about FMA at the start, but just talked about Star Trek the entire time. And then there's the "DANNY PHANTOM CONTROVERSY" video that came out a while back, which I didn't fall for, but I know a lot of people who thought he was talking about this but was talking about some stupid misunderstanding in the theme song's lyrics. Honestly, part of me believes Butch isn't even aware of the Randy Stair shooting, he seems like a very naive, childish, as well as oblivious man. I think so much of it is from this "no negativity" mentality he's created. I don't know how much of it has to do with his faith (Butch is a devout Christian and is very open about it on social media), but he's basically blocked out/ignored any serious criticism he has received about OAXIS and his actions in the past (I've heard of him not being nice to LGBT people in the past; can't find much on it though from Google. Also heard that he's attacked criticizers of his Kickstarter) like a 11 year old. I get it, man. Times are tough, the world's as depressing as ever. I'm a happy guy too, but you just can't block out any and all negativity, it's just not healthy. And especially as a professional, he should be alert of this happening. It's also just the way he's done everything for OAXIS, aside from the fact that OAXIS needs WAY more to compete with Netflix/Hulu/what have you besides "family friendly" only and the slew of other problems he said in the video, the way he does it is so shoddy. He's so vague about everything and uses all these sappy-ass promises to give people's support. If you're willing to watch a video that's an hour and a half long, I implore you to watch Pieguyrulz and EyeOfSol's most recent video on the matter, it rips his Kickstarter to shreds while making great points all throughout and just talking about his con-man tactics and his behavior on the internet as of late.

TLDR- Butch is an egomaniac who uses clickbait, avoids all criticism intentionally, and uses vague/sketchy tactics to sell OAXIS.

• Like 2
  • Wow 2