• Advertisement

Daria & Jodie

Hayden

meh, I'm not really excited for this lol. Especially since it's not going to be about Daria and Jane. It's so rare that these revivals actually turn out well so I don't have very high hopes

Actually funny that this pops out, I'm planning to finally watch Daria after wanting to for months but never doing it.

With what I know about the show so far, I seriously don't think this would work at all. Daria is an icon of the 90's and a complete product of it's time. It just won't translate to the modern day well at all, at least I think. 

I don't immediately want to dismiss this, but cartoon revivals tend to not be all that great and I'm not sure how well Daria would translate to the modern era. Much of what made Daria great hinged at the culture at the time-- the very beginnings of the Internet, the various sub-cultures that split high schoolers into stereotypical archetypes, and the reaction of the average teenager to these developments. Whether or not this would translate well today is up in the air, but I'm leaning towards it not working out. 

On the other hand, I've always felt that Jodie was a great character and deserving of far more spotlight than they gave her. If there was ever a strong point for Jodie to return, it'd be now. She called for diversity in schools, she gave a voice to the average black student, and all-around was a badass and I'd be interested to see how she'd work as a main character. 

• Like 2