• Advertisement

Cyma Zarghami Stepping Down As President Of Nickelodeon

Jjs Goodman

It's an understatement, but I have to say that she had a good run as CEO for the network. Now I can't wait to see who steps in as the new CEO and becomes the scagegoat for everything wrong with modern Nickelodeon.

Edited by Steel Sponge

26 minutes ago, Hayden said:

Do you know who wrote this, or is it more just than one person responding to Cyma stepping down? I feel like arguing towards some of the points made in the last three tweets.

*2 months later lol*

If you guys know me well, I am absolutely not one to wish for CEOs/presidents of a certain network to be fired just because I believe they're not doing a good job in their role of leadership, and to know very well that CEOs/presidents cannot actually get fired because a lot of people believe they're not doing a good job in running the network, as the decision is only at the hands of the bosses of the boss. Looking back at all this baggage that was revealed about Cyma, I can finally go around to say that I'm not upset about her resignation at all.

A new figurehead leader for Nickelodeon was long overdue, and it's so upsetting to learn that the creator of Constant Payne got screwed over by Cyma and her post-9/11 mindset, as well as so much more beyond that. I mean, Cyma being native to Iran might speak some lengths, but the fact that she bypassed legal trouble while as an executive should've meant that she wouldn't be fit for the role as president. Even as president, her leadership brought the network into a pretty bad light.

The so-called 'SpongeBob Principle' dates back to the early days of Cyma's presidency and the more often that Cyma was screwing over Nicktoons shows, the clearer it is that Nickelodeon became more reliant on landing big hits than making the brand itself the main marketing aspect of Nickelodeon. Nickelodeon had oversaturated Rugrats and SpongeBob long before the days of Cyma's presidency, but 'Nicktoons' used to play a large role in Nick's marketing. Up until recently, it wasn't like that anymore.

Micah Wright, I can see pretty clearly that he tells no lies about Cyma's work at Nickelodeon. I felt like I could argue with some points he made because I thought at first that the rants were a combination of his own words and the words from the dude that runs Rise and Fall of Nickelodeon. It was probably just that I was tired of hearing the same comments about the state of Nickelodeon where it's like "Nick needs to die." "No wait, it's actually improving." "No, the quality is still declining." Once again, Michah has made some good enough points. What he said about Nickelodeon suddenly being about cutting corners, the same can easily be said about the television industry in general. Companies these days are worried about their respective networks going bankrupt, so they have to compete to stay firm with their television ratings. As long as most big name networks like Nickelodeon still keep up with this strategy, this might as well still be the state of the channel.

With Nickelodeon having to find a new president for its company, I'm afraid that I might already know the outcome: we instantly become accustomed to the new president, something unsettling happens during the new era, fans immediately point the blame to him/her for not doing the job he/she should be doing so well at, and indirectly beg for Viacom to have him/her fired. In other words, whoever takes up the position, I fear that some people will treat that the person the same as Christina Miller and somehow paint the president to be worse than Cyma. Perhaps if the new president mismanages the network in some nasty ways, I won't warm up to him/her, but one thing I'd hope to see from Nickelodeon, once it experiences complete managerial changes, is that it improves its work environment and marketing strategy.