• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2018!

Wumbo

Frakendoodle is pure imaginative and hilarious as hell. There are rare episodes like this where there's an actual original concept and this episode pulls it off so well. Doodlebob is one of the most amusing one-time (well two-times now) charatcers in the show's history and all the jokes revolved around him were impressively funny and clever. Gotta love the big epic climax between SpongeBob and him. It's one of those episodes that is so unique in a hilarious way and I wish there'd be more creativeness like this. Of course this is on my list because this episode is so badass.

"Frankendoodle" is another episode in my Top 50 somewhere. It's just a hilarious and fun wacky ride the whole way through, and you really gotta love DoodleBob. While it wouldn't be in my personal Top 10 or even 25 for that matter, I still think it's an awesome episode and I can definitely see why some have placed it among their absolute favorites.

Frankendoodle is phenomenal. The concept is so absurd and creative, and classic jokes like "Finland" keep this as one of my favorites. Doodlebob is a fantastic addition to the cast, and a great antagonist, along with the hilarious artist.

(It also baffles me that Doodle Dimension turned out this bad, when every other returns episode, or episodes that have another character in the spotlight from this Season range from good to great)

Unfortunately, I made my list BEFORE I got around to playing the "Drawn to Life: Spongebob Squarepants" edition video game, loosely based around this episode. And if I had known then what I had known now, about the video game being such a GREAT video game to play, I definitely would've put "Frankendoodle" on my list! But I'm glad it made it on this list anyways! :D This was the first episode segment to explore the concept, that whenever an object from above the water falls into the ocean world of Bikini Bottom (a concept explored further in "Lame and Fortune"), it somehow becomes magical! o.o The surprising turn from comedy to light horror, at the rampaging DoodleBob, could've been pretty jarring, but instead, it's handled very well in this episode! I'm glad they were able to take the simple concept of this episode, and broaden it into such an entertaining video game! :cool: If ONLY they could have done that for this episode's in-direct sequel! :rolleyes: At least DoodleBob remained in character. Also, this is probably Mr. Lawrence's best ACTUAL on-screen appearance, since he both appears as, and voices the artist at sea in the live-action sequences! :hysterical: This is a really creative episode (pun intended!), and I can't wait to see what other episode segments make it into the Top Ten! Enough said! ;)

• Confused 2
  • God Himself 1

1 minute ago, 4EverGreen said:

Unfortunately, I made my list BEFORE I got around to playing the "Drawn to Life: Spongebob Squarepants" edition video game, loosely based around this episode. And if I had known then what I had known now, about the video game being such a GREAT video game to play, I definitely would've put "Frankendoodle" on my list!

confused-2.png.b612a885a398780d2f23d91653f0c363.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Confused 2
  • Wow 1
  • God Himself 2

20 minutes ago, 4EverGreen said:

Unfortunately, I made my list BEFORE I got around to playing the "Drawn to Life: Spongebob Squarepants" edition video game, loosely based around this episode. And if I had known then what I had known now, about the video game being such a GREAT video game to play, I definitely would've put "Frankendoodle" on my list! But I'm glad it made it on this list anyways! :D

Grading how good an episode is based on a videogame based off of it is not a great practice; it'd be like if I graded Atlantis SquarePantis as an ok episode just based off the game based off of it.

But anyways, Frankendoodle is a rather creative episode that builds off of a simple premise and runs with what it's got. There's a lot to enjoy, from Spongebob and Patrick pranking Squidward near the start to the battle with DoodleBob near the end. The live-action artist scenes were also really good and help this episode stand out. It make my list at #23, and while that's a rather low number, the episode itself is undeniably great.

5 hours ago, RDSP said:

Grading how good an episode is based on a videogame based off of it is not a great practice; it'd be like if I graded Atlantis SquarePantis as an ok episode just based off the game based off of it.

I can actually imagine a fun game based on an episode making you like the episode more. For me, the Movie has a higher grade because I remember having so much fun playing the Movie games.

On the other side it shouldn't make the episode actually better.. But I guess everyone has his own reference material.

Edited by BeachBob95

The Camping Episode is another really funny episode from Season 3. There's a lot to enjoy here, and while I wouldn't consider it one of the best episodes from the season, I'm willing to say that it would make my top 30. There's little to dislike here, as everything from Spongebob and Patrick's antics to the campiness (no pun intended) of the Campfire Song Song is enjoyable in some sese. This episode is one of the most well-liked of the show, and not without good reason.

Also, sorry Trophy but the ending is and will always be funny.

Edited by RDSP
  • God Himself 1

Krab Borg: Great, hilarious episode with great characters. Not on my top 50 i'm using for this list because I hadn't rewatched it yet at the start of this list, but it would realistically be top 50 if I remake it

The Algae's Always Greener: Another hilarious episode, with a great plot that shows how Plankton wouldn't like it from mr krabs's role either, and does it in a hilarious way. In my top 50

Nasty Patty: Yet another hilarious episode. The characters are great here too, and I love the premise and plot here, Hiding the dead body of a health inspector they think they killed is hilarious.

Frankendoodle: This episode was on my top list, in the top 10. Extremely hilarious episode with the two best characters; DoodelBob and Pre-Movie Patrick, and a great plot.

The Camping Episode: Another hilarious episode with great characters. This is potentially a top 50 episode, though it just barely missed it on the list I used for this

Pranks a Lot (#34)

Missing Identity (#32)

Krab Borg (#13) (Why did I put this so low???)

Valentine's Day (#50) 

Squid's Day Off (#43)

Plankton's Army (#33)

Employee of the Month (#40)

Mid-Life Crustacean (#36)

Survival of the Idiots (#35)

Something Smells (#39)

The Great Snail Race (#45) (Might be higher but whatever)

Rock Bottom (#49) 

Clams (#41)

The Fry Cook Games (#44)

Imitation Krabs (#20)

Life of Crime (#30)

The Camping Episode (#9)

50: Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V (#15)

49: Club Spongebob (#42)

48: ???

47: ???

46: My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

45: The Algae's Always Greener (#12)

44: Fear of a Krabby Patty (#27)

43: ???

42: Big Pink Loser (#38)

41: ???

40: Have You Seen This Snail (#26) 

39: ???

38: ???

37: Squidville (#47)

36: ???

35: Pizza Delivery (#14)

34: Sailor Mouth (#22)

33: Idiot Box (#15)

32: Nasty Patty (#11)

31: ???

30: ???

29: ???

28: ???

27: F.U.N (#48)

26: ???

25: ???

24: ???

23: No Weenies Allowed (#37)

22: SpongeBob Meets the Strangler (#29)

21: ???

20: Dunces and Dragons (#23)

19: Roller Cowards (#24) 

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: Krusty Towers (#19)

13: Snowball Effect (#25)  

12: ???

11: SB-129 (#28)

10: Mimic Madness (#31)

9: Can You Spare a Dime (#18)  

8: Welcome to the Chum Bucket (#17)

7: Frankendoodle (#10)

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: Just One Bite (#21)

25/50, 12/25

• Like 1

I disagree with some of the top choices but in the end I let them slide due to it mainly being a difference in the humor of other episodes being more appealing to me. However this episode's ending is still a dumpster fire.

The beginning is great, not my favorite but it showed Squid letting himself get roped into their antics a la Idiot Box. However, the sea bear bit was unnecessarily cruel and overdone. Given that SB & Pat's evidence was tabloids and "Fake Science Monthly", his lack of belief was justified. Were his methods a bit extreme? Yes, but in the end all he was doing was trying to prove a myth that he had reasonable doubt in to be false in the most effective way possible. That does not justify him getting mauled multiple times and it was so excessive that I couldn't focus on the dialogue jokes. Him getting mauled and screaming and limping because of this was far more effective than just shouting things, and I'm gonna be blunt: the oval line was the only one to stick out and was absolutely atrocious given that nobody would be able to draw when they're that hurt, so it only felt like a piss-poor excuse to have him get mauled and scream again!

The ending was unfunny, and even though I wanted to let it pass as Squid being hurt not being the only joke due to the attempts at dialogue humor, the sea rhino ending comes in and adds an insulting nail to the coffin in this unfunny ending that turned this from an 8.5/10 episode that'd still miss my list to a 4.5/10 that's easily my second least favorite of pre-movie. I'll jest about episodes like Band Geeks not being worthy of the top 5, but the ending of this episode sickens me and I vehemently disagree with this making the list, and the top 10 to boot.

PS: Clappy said "people" have been criticising it but I've only seen myself doing so. If I'm not alone great, if I am just say my name lol I won't get riled up over the namedrop when it's true.

• Sad 8

The Camping Episode wasn't really one of my favorite episodes but it's an episode that never fails to make me laugh. I love SpongeBob and Patrick's antics with stuff like eating hot marshmellow and singing The Campire Song and Squidward scaring the hell out of them in the end. Sea bear attack was still very funny to me and it was done in an over the top way, so it never bothered me but I can see why it'd bother others. There isn't as much say to this one. It's a great camping episode for this show.

• Happy 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Boulder said:

I disagree with some of the top choices but in the end I let them slide due to it mainly being a difference in the humor of other episodes being more appealing to me. However this episode's ending is still a dumpster fire.

The beginning is great, not my favorite but it showed Squid letting himself get roped into their antics a la Idiot Box. However, the sea bear bit was unnecessarily cruel and overdone. Given that SB & Pat's evidence was tabloids and "Fake Science Monthly", his lack of belief was justified. Were his methods a bit extreme? Yes, but in the end all he was doing was trying to prove a myth that he had reasonable doubt in to be false in the most effective way possible. That does not justify him getting mauled multiple times and it was so excessive that I couldn't focus on the dialogue jokes. Him getting mauled and screaming and limping because of this was far more effective than just shouting thongs, and I'm gonna be blunt: the oval line was the only one to stick out and was absolutely atrocious.

The ending was unfunny, and even though I wanted to let it pass as Squid being hurt not being the only joke due to the attempts at dialogue humor, the sea rhino ending comes in and adds an insulting nail to the coffin in this unfunny ending that turned this from an 8.5/10 episode that'd still miss my list to a 4.5/10 that's easily my second least favorite of pre-movie. I'll jest about episodes like Band Geeks not being worthy of the top 5, but the ending of this episode sickens me and I vehemently disagree with this making the list, and the top 10 to boot.

PS: Clappy said "people" have been criticising it but I've only seen myself doing so. If I'm not alone great, if I am just say my name lol I won't get riled up over the namedrop when it's true.

I, myself, do think The Camping Episode is highly overrated. The joke with the seabear gets old fast for me and goes on for too long in my opinion.

• Happy 1
  • Sad 2

Nasty Patty has both a great plot and strcuture. I enjoy how it’s all built on a series of misunderstandings and assumptions combined with one of the most daring and macabre storylines the show’s ever done. It also has a very admirable simplicity. SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs, the inspector and the two officers is all you really need to make things funny. I find Mr. Krabs to be the strongest out of all the characters here. It’s great how he looks out for himself first and SpongeBob second, but he still acts as a sort of calm guide to SpongeBob’s nervousness. I appreciate how much he tries to look out for SpongeBob with all those distractions. My favorite example of his great mentorship is when he gives instructions to SpongeBob right in front of the police with that coded vocabulary. SpongeBob plays a good part here too. I enjoy how genuinely sorry he feels for the body, but also extremely disgusted with its deadness, which makes him struggle really hard. Together, the two have some amazing chemistry. Some of their best moments have to be the scene where they put all the nasty stuff inside the patty, and the burying scene. “THERE’S A BIG ROCK IN THE WAY!”

DoodleBob is certainly one of the best villains in SpongeBob history. Paul Tibbitt’s voice acting for him is absolutely golden. There’s a reason it became so popular. But it’s not just the noises that make him funny, but it’s also how crappily he’s drawn and how his actions still somehow make him intimidating. I love his insane creativity with the pencil and how he uses it to terrorize SpongeBob and Patrick. Even his kryptonite is pretty genius. Of course though, he’s not the only strong character in the episode. Patrick has a few great moments here, like the way he just morphs into pins when the bowling ball smacks into him, and when he starts projecting SpongeBob’s traits onto DoodleBob. That blush is so adorable. SpongeBob has a great moment where he takes so much pleasure into erasing, ending with that hilarious scream. Together, I like how they both make those commentaries criticizing each other’s art, and the ways they work together to try and stop DoodleBob.

Camping Episode is a classic. I like how SpongeBob’s justification for going outside is what triggers Squidward’s ego. It’s in-character and makes for a nice segue into the real plot. I also like how quickly it escalates, starting off small with roasting marshmallows and then evolving into Squidward getting massacred by a sea bear. The jokes are what seriously make this episode shine, however. From Squidward’s malfunctioning tent “HE’S TENDERIZING THE GROUND!”, to all the excessive and specific things that attract a sea bear “Cubed, sliced is fine.”, to the iconic and catchy-as-hell song (Patrick’s struggle to keep up is the best), it all makes for a true comedic powerhouse. The fact that this is all happening right outside everyone’s houses only makes everything way funnier. The sea bear scene does tend to go on for too long, but the sheer amount of times the bear returns for more makes for some awesome slapstick and quotes. “Pretend to be somebody else!” “That was an oval! It has to be a circle!” Plus, Squidward totally deserved it. He was leading SpongeBob and Patrick on.

50. ???

49. ???

48. ???

47. The Camping Episode (#9)

46. Frankendoodle (#10)

45. SB-129 (#28)

44. ???

43. Missing Identity (#32)

42. ???

41. ???

40. ???

39. ???

38. Sailor Mouth (#22)

37. Pizza Delivery (#14)

36. SpongeBob Meets the Strangler (#29)

35. ???

34. ???

33. ???

32. Just One Bite (#21)

31. Clams (#41)

30. ???

29. ???

28. ???

27. Idiot Box (#16)

26. ???

25. ???

24. Big Pink Loser (#38)

23. ???

22. ???

21. ???

20. Something Smells (#39)

19. Snowball Effect (#25)

18. ???

17. Squid's Day Off (#43)

16. Fear of a Krabby Patty (#27)

15. ???

14. Valentine's Day (#50)

13. ???

12. Imitation Krabs (#20)

11. ???

10. Nasty Patty (#11)

9. Roller Cowards (#24)

8. Life of Crime (#30)

7. ???

6. Can You Spare a Dime? (#18)

5. Krusty Towers (#19)

4. My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

3. ???

2. ???

1. ???

Not on List:

Rock Bottom (#49)

F.U.N. (#48)

Squidville (#47)

The Great Snail Race (#45)

The Fry Cook Games (#44)

Club SpongeBob (#42)

No Weenies Allowed (#37)

Mid-Life Crustacean (#36)

Survival of the Idiots (#35)

Pranks a Lot (#34)

Plankton’s Army (#33)

Mimic Madness (#31)

Have You Seen This Snail? (#26)

Dunces and Dragons (#23)

Welcome to the Chum Bucket (#17)

Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V (#15)

Krab Borg (#13)

The Algae's Always Greener (#12)

• Thanks 1

I myself am in the same camp as Clappy, except that in my case "The Camping Episode" was #10 on my list. Since I already wrote why I love this episode so much on the other SpongeBob forum and voiced my defense there, I'm just gonna copy and paste that review here.

"I don't get all these comments saying that the episode is overrated. If anything, I find it very UNDER-rated seeing as how the reception to this episode has definitely become a lot more critical in recent years. I think it is an amazingly hilarious episode with tons of great camping gags, the 2nd best song in the whole series (aside from "Sweet Victory"), and a hilarious mauling scene at the end (I agree with Slug, I really can't feel bad for Squidward here. He had been warned by SpongeBob and Patrick several times, but his ego got the better of him and he got what was coming to him. And I think the sea bear attacks themselves are hilarious, especially since they happen off screen and the bear just keeps coming out of nowhere. Plus I like how the sea bear points his finger at Squidward at the end). The very fact that they took a setting as simple as camping and turned it into a hilarious and effective ride is a brilliant accomplishment!

Short and to the point, though, this episode is incredible. I think it deserves all the praise it gets (or got), and it definitely mauls (pun intended) its sister episode: Krabby Land."

"The Camping Episode" didn't make my list this time, and I'm not sure entirely why I didn't feel like including the episode this time. I mean, I certainly THINK it's a very good episode; even if the debate on whether or not Squidward deserved the pain he got inflicted upon him, is highly over-rated and, in my personal opinion, HIGHLY unnecessary! :rolleyes: It should be common knowledge, that you NEVER tempt fate out in the wilderness, even if you're only ten feet away from your house! o.o Because 9 times out of ten, fate will ALWAYS find a way to beat you EVERY single time! And with Squidward's poor track record of disproving Spongebob's theories, Squidward really only has himself to blame for his MISERY in this episode! :hysterical: Also the line, "Maybe it IS stupid, but it's ALSO dumb!"; gets me every time, as well as Spongebob going into the LONG spiel about the guy who knew this guy and so on and so forth, is ALSO hilarious! :D This is an episode that showed that if you're going to camp out in the wilderness, you should ALWAYS be prepared, and NEVER do anything stupid! I can't wait to see the other episodes that end up making this list! :cool: Enough said! ;)

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, 4EverGreen said:

I mean, I certainly THINK it's a very good episode; even if the debate on whether or not Squidward deserved the pain he got inflicted upon him, is highly over-rated and, in my personal opinion, HIGHLY unnecessary! 

I had no idea that all it took was only two people finding something in a scene to be unfunny and needlessly excessive to make an entire "debate" overrated. TIL!

Graveyard Shift portrays an excellent dynamic between SpongeBob and Squidward that is the lodestar of many of the show's best offerings. The episode progresses from the basic premise to a more creepy, sinister vibe gracefully, taking full advantage of the night-time setting. The smaller details, from the desolation to the mist, really allow the atmosphere to shine. Everything is established for Squidward's tale of the Hash-Slinging Slasher to flourish organically. There's been episodes where the plot goes from trivial to full-blown insanity, but here that progression is very subtle. Squidward getting wrapped up in his own narrative is hilarious, as is how Spongebob's paranoia rubs off on him. Like a lot of earlier episodes, there isn't much objective to really critique, just that it delivers the story in such a great, funny, and original way, that its simplicity is overshadowed by the quality of the duo's interactions. I wish I could talk in more detail but it's been a while since I've seen it. The newer episodes could really learn from this straightforward method of storytelling. Quintessential Spongebob.

Edited by Manco Capac
  • Like 1

"Graveyard Shift" is a great episode that satirizes the horror genre spectacularly. While it isn't one of my favorites, it is still a very good and classic episode that I certainly wouldn't dispute being on the countdown.