• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2018!

Wumbo

5 minutes ago, Wintermelon43 said:

Nobody ever rubbed it in that it made the list, but I agree with everything else.

I beg to differ, I could see why it's annoying, but whatever. I'm just going to shut up about this until something else happens.

10 minutes ago, Master WhoBruh said:

my original post from sbm, 1 year ago.

Hide contents

This is not just the best episode of the season so far, it could possibly be my favorite second-post-movie era episode ever. I felt like everything worked out so perfectly. The episode has some really great jokes with SpongeBob mimicing everyone and slowly making him lose who he is actually. The show has been going on for like 17 years and It amazes me with gems like this, they find new ways to make our main character interesting. The plot was definitely so original. Although yeah, we did see SpongeBob mimicing people in Gone but the premise here is completely different and it's funnier this way because you see other's reactions. My favorite gag has to be french narrator imitation. I'm a sucker for 4th wall break jokes, so this one was the funniest joke out of all jokes here. It's not just humor and SpongeBob here that made me love this. Little character moments like Plankton and Sandy playing chess, Squidward imitating Mr. Krabs and Patrick actually putting Squidward and Plankton in their places for making a decision to destroy him and Plankton trying to get krabby patty formula by imitating SpongeBob were so joy for me. You really have no idea I missed musical numbers in this show, so the muscial number here "Who Am I" was such a heartbreaking and sad song, yet it's very catchy and memorable song. A credit for Tom Kenny with his beautiful voice and Mr. Lawrence for writing it. I loved how all main characters, even Plankton teamed up to save SpongeBob. The ending was, while predictable, such a funny way to end this episode. A modern classic for SpongeBob imo.

Grade: A

you could say I didn't bother to explain jokes as much but tbh I actually did enjoy the episode on more than just jokes and honestly I don't think I can explain further why I love it. While my opinions have changed on that being best episode in years and I've seen other great entries like Feral Friends, Teacher's Pests and Bottle Burglars, I still stand by that ep being great and I think some explanations like clappy's are well done imo.

"People are allowed to have their opinions as much as I'm allowed to say their opinions are flawed."

I could ask myself the same for your opinion on that.

Honestly I still can't recall the jokes. Yes there were jokes about SpongeBob mimicking people but I don't remember the punch-lines. They weren't very memorable jokes to me. Outside of the jokes the plot is a carbon copy of Ripped Pants except inferior. Still don't see the praise.

If you think my opinion is flawed that's fine. I still don't think Mimic Madness is great.

13 minutes ago, hippythehippo said:

The thing that makes me mad about this really petty argument is that post sequel as a whole (more specifically 10 and 11) are being targeted for one harmless episode making a stupid list. 

Sorry this isn't 49 pre movie eps and Dunces and Dragons, the world is gonna end 

I don't think Pranks a Lot, Missing identity, or Valentines day (off memory) are even close, but I am not making a hissy fit.

People won't do that, they will get banned if they do. Besides, it isn't that melodramatic, it's just an opinion on an episode of fucking Spongebob

Too people who like this episode, great it's on the list. You can appreciate it, but stop rubbing it in.

Too people who hate this episode, you can criticize the episode but stop acting like it's the end of the world.

I don't even think the episode belongs here, but a lot of you are acting like fucking children. Just chill man.

"The thing that makes me mad about this really petty argument is that post sequel as a whole (more specifically 10 and 11) are being targeted for one harmless episode making a stupid list. "

Why is that a problem, talking of the problems with seasons 10 and 11 just show how much of an outlier Mimic Madness is compared to the rest of the great episodes on the list.

"Sorry this isn't 49 pre movie eps and Dunces and Dragons, the world is gonna end "

I... never said that. Nobody ever said that. There are some post-movie episodes that are great, however most of them aren't and a lot of the best post-movie episodes have an inflated reputation.

"Too people who hate this episode, you can criticize the episode but stop acting like it's the end of the world."

I never did. I made one comment and everyone jumped at my throat because of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Honest Slug said:

I never did. I made one comment and everyone jumped at my throat because of it.

when you say it that way, of course people are gonna jump on you.

Mimic Madness does not belong on the list. People only love it cuz it isn't garbage like most new eps and its non-horribleness makes it look amazing by comparison.

•  

you say it that people only loved it for not finding as garbage. that's the issue. Trophy also made a comment on how he didn't find mimic to be that good enough on the list but he didn't get as much replies because he didn't speak behalf of people. It's not because of your opinion on the episode, it's you generalizing fans of the episode.

• Like 3

Literally no one on here likes Mimic Madness just to either be nice to post-sequel or just because of the song. They like it for many reasons, including the song but also for many other factors such as the voice acting, animation, and humor. It's fine if you don't like it but please don't say that people are liking it for these bullshit reasons or that you're an idiot for liking this episode. It's just really rude and actually outright offends me, because It's basically telling me that I'm an idiot for having an opinion on this episode and that I need to make all my opinions the popular one or else I'm not allowed on here, that's what it feels like.

Guys, this is supposed to be multiple people's opinions on the best of the series. We should not have to lie about our opinions just because you can't stand that people have them. That ruins this thread.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hippythehippo said:

The thing that makes me mad about this really petty argument is that post sequel as a whole (more specifically 10 and 11) are being targeted for one harmless episode making a stupid list. 

No, they're being targeted because they're not good seasons in general and people find that nothing from them is close to top 50 worthy, and one episode isn't changing perception on a whole season. Ink isn't single handedly changing opinions on s11, Mimic being undeserving doesn't mean all of post-sequel is, the argument is that it being the best of season 10 like some people believe doesn't mean it's better than pre-movie which is a subjective opinion, not an anti-post sequel fact like you want to believe.

• God Himself 1

I shouldn't have to add to the dispute, but I really just thought that I'd say this: SBC's Top 50 list is not a qualifier for what episodes are the best, likewise with the Bottom 50 list and how it doesn't exactly define what episodes are the worst. Clearly enough, all of ours lists are different. In addition, we pretty much all have different ways of defining what episodes we liked and disliked. The lists are a democracy from any type of SB fans all across the board. If a lot of people chose for "Mimic Madness" to have enough points to be in the top 50, then it's on the top 50. Not everyone seems to like "Mimic Madness," but the same can be said for ANY episode. If you know me pretty well, I have some very controversial opinions.

In short, we all have our own opinions, and doesn't matter how we express them. There is no right or wrong way to enjoy SpongeBob. Venting over. As Wumbo suggested, let's all be happy to participate in counting down to the best episodes of SpongeBob ever - as chosen by the community :).

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 6

Okay, here is why I think Mimic Madness isn't top 50 worthy. You can argue with me all you want in the dms if you don't agree.

Mimic Madness' biggest flaw, and this is a flaw with many post sequel episodes, is it plays to it's strength, visual humor. This gives us some amazing visuals, but it doesn't create a memorable or memetic product. It is mostly reactions, and they stick me for a moment than fade. The only joke that sticks with me is Spongebob interacting with the narrator, a funny sequence no doubt, but the only thing that sticks with me. While it creates fantastic visuals, good visuals don't make anything top 50 worthy. Pre movie is filled with loads of good dialogue,  it is no wonder people remember and quote these lines even today. While it has led to ogles of shitty memes, I can't hold that against pre movie, they were just good comedy. Mimic is funny enough, just not top tier.

The story has problems too. The biggest one being there is no transition from SB being in control, and him being out of control. I feel like a montage (Fear of a Krabby Patty esque) could have aided the story even better, showing Spongebob slowly becoming insane. The middle part has a lot of uneeded mimicking that could be cut, and this transition could have elevated to an even better episode. The rest is more complex than most post sequel episodes, but does play off of the sucess of old episodes, like Ripped Pants, or even more recent episodes, like Earworm. Borrowing isn't bad, and Mimic takes these ideas in different directions, but it doesn't get credit for originality (though I am not too harsh on this, the other point remains a more stand out problem).

Characters are a bit iffy too. People love that a bunch of characters are here, but I feel it is wasted a bit. Take Band Geeks, it has a bunch of characters we know, but their purpose is to blend into the background, and give us a couple jokes with their traits that way. Here, there are just too many, and some don't even play much of a role. Squidward, Plankton, and Patrick don't do a smidge besides being there, and it just sort of feels off. The difference is in Band geeks, they are meant to fade in the background, while here, they are all meant to show their individual characteristics, but there is not enough time for them to shine. I feel the story would have worked better with 2 characters solving the mimicking problem, rather than the whole crew.

It's a nice episode, but I don't think it's top 50 worthy.

Fight me. 

18 minutes ago, The Boulder said:

No, they're being targeted because they're not good seasons in general and people find that nothing from them is close to top 50 worthy, and one episode isn't changing perception on a whole season. Ink isn't single handedly changing opinions on s11, Mimic being undeserving doesn't mean all of post-sequel is, the argument is that it being the best of season 10 like some people believe doesn't mean it's better than pre-movie which is a subjective opinion, not an anti-post sequel fact like you want to believe.

I was saying that people were bringing post sequel into an argument where it wasn't even close to being involved in. I'm not saying 9b, 10, or 11 are good Seasons, but they had no reason to be in an argument of for this single episode. Saying "Mimic Madness is here because everything else in post sequel is garbage" is inflammatory. Honest Slug wanted people to people to respond to him, and now is hiding behind a shield. IDC what he thinks, everyone can have their opinion, but it would be odd for him to just say that and think that no one would retaliate.

49 minutes ago, Master WhoBruh said:

when you say it that way, of course people are gonna jump on you.

you say it that people only loved it for not finding as garbage. that's the issue. Trophy also made a comment on how he didn't find mimic to be that good enough on the list but he didn't get as much replies because he didn't speak behalf of people. It's not because of your opinion on the episode, it's you generalizing fans of the episode.

Homie also said people only flocked to it for the song, but yet I'm the one taking all the heat. I agree with her though.

But whatever, I'm done.

5 minutes ago, Honest Slug said:

Homie also said people only flocked to it for the song, but yet I'm the one taking all the heat. I agree with her though.

But whatever, I'm done.

Her post was bullshit too, that's why I meh'ed it.

y'all need to understand the difference between saying why you dislike an episode and saying why you think other people like episodes. the first is understandable, the second is rude, presumptuous, and dismissive, and ruins the tone of what is supposed to be a fun countdown for everyone to enjoy.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 6

I agree with WumboJack Horseman. Anyways, "Mimic Madness" was not just a very good post-movie episode, it's a good episode period! :D While it did miss out on making my list, I am glad that it got on! Let's show the post-movie episodes some more love, people! :cool: Anyways, Tom Kenny's voice work definitely goes above and beyond the call of duty for this episode, as he manages to perfectly mimic almost ALL of the main cast of characters that Spongebob interacts with on a daily basis! o.o And the moral of this episode was handled better than some other episodes that have tried to do a moral episode in the past. I can't wait to see what other episodes are on this list! Enough said, true believers! ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • God Himself 2

I'm also gonna say, just to be fair, that y'all also need to learn the difference between someone not liking an episode and personal attacks. its not that deep yall ok im done seeya tomorrow

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, WumboJack Horseman said:

I'm also gonna say, just to be fair, that y'all also need to learn the difference between someone not liking an episode and personal attacks. its not that deep yall ok im done seeya tomorrow

I've pretty much been told to fuck off for liking this episode and thinking it deserves to be on the list sooooo yeah I'm gonna take it personally