• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2018!

Wumbo

Rock Bottom is a very great episode that honestly probably would've made my top 50 if I was allowed to send in a top 50 list. Honest Slug pretty much summed it up best, so I don't have anything to add. Glad it made the countdown though!

• Like 1

The only reason "Rock Bottom" didn't make my list this time around (even though I'm pretty sure that it made my list in years past), is the fact that I was trying to get some more RECENT episode inclusions into this list, and NOT have it be yet ANOTHER season one through three nostalgia fest like it USUALLY is! Don't get me wrong, this is a pretty good episode, but my main reason for NOT including this episode in my list? The bus driver and/or drivers who were JERKS for not STOPPING to pick up Spongebob! :rolleyes: The episode, would've been more acceptable for me, if Spongebob found out from the outset, that there weren't going to be any more buses until a predetermined time, and he actually had to have THAT kind of mindset for an entire NIGHT in Rock Bottom alone. At the very least, the location has been seen again (I forget which episode), and Spongebob had a much BETTER experience that time! I can't wait to see what other episodes appear on my list. Enough said, for now! ;)

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 4EverGreen said:

but my main reason for NOT including this episode in my list? The bus driver and/or drivers who were JERKS for not STOPPING to pick up Spongebob! :rolleyes: 

also why don't you just choose episodes you actually like and not because you feel bad for Post-Movie episodes never being on the list

Edited by President Squidward
  • Happy 1
  • Thanks 7

I've never been one for forced post-movie representation. There's some good post-movie episodes, mostly in seasons 4 and 5, but there's very few that I'd say are worth celebrating on the league of the first 3 seasons. Most of the episodes on these types of lists are pre-movie for a reason, pre-movie was simply better.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, 4EverGreen said:

The only reason "Rock Bottom" didn't make my list this time around (even though I'm pretty sure that it made my list in years past), is the fact that I was trying to get some more RECENT episode inclusions into this list, and NOT have it be yet ANOTHER season one through three nostalgia fest like it USUALLY is! 

While I can understand this sentiment, and while I too want to see more diversity on these lists, I don't feel that it's necessary to diminish people's enjoyment of these episodes as simply being nostalgia-trips, nor do I feel that ranking episodes from the newer episodes simply because they are less likely to get nominated is a sensible way of writing a list. I'll be honest-- I caught myself this time around excluding certain episodes (Band Geeks, Graveyard Shift, and Krusty Krab Training Video being key examples) from my list for the sole purpose of adding episodes that I felt were more deserving of the spotlight, and while this isn't necessarily a bad thing, I do feel there is an inherent dishonesty in manipulating rankings for self-perceived notions of what's fair and what's not. The most popular episodes will always be the most popular episodes, and no amount of dislike towards them simply due to them being popular will change that. 

• Like 9

I'm going to receive a little bit of controversy when I say that I'm not big on "Rock Bottom." I thought it was good, but it had a few flaws. The least that I enjoyed from the episode was the recurring gag of the bus that arrives at the stop and just leaves afterwards. Why I didn't enjoy that joke wasn't because it was mean-spirited, I didn't find it funny because the episode becomes so reliant on the joke that it gets old and predictable fast. If it adds to the joke's meaning, SpongeBob does unintentionally whack the bus driver with his balloon several times. It's not implied that it's why the bus constantly messes around with SpongeBob, but it still sounds logical. "Valentine's Day," on the other hand, is a pretty solid S1 episode, so I can see why it earned a spot.

And while we're still on the debate about how post-movie/post-SOOW feels represented little of the time, I agree with what Homie, Prez, and Slug already said that we don't have several pre-movie episodes on our lists because we're blinded by nostalgia or what else. It's because most of them are just so good, they have to be on our lists. I for one am on board with giving the list more diversity, but Wumbo clearly said that we shouldn't be afraid to be honest with our lists. I have a fair amount of post-movie episodes on my list. Whatever those episodes are on my list that are of that type, I chose them because I legitimately liked them enough to put them on my top 25.

Also, changing the subject again: Band Geeks, Chocolate with Nuts, Krusty Krab Training Video, these are easily well-loved SpongeBob episodes for a variety of good reasons, so even if either one of them nabs the #1 spot again, why should it matter so much? If they're great episodes, doesn't that already mean that they deserve the #1 spot?

• Like 2

Valentine’s Day is always such a refreshing episode every time I watch it.  Most of it is due to never airing outside said holiday, but even then, this episode is so insanely quotable.  HEART ON STICK MUST DIE!  I DEFY YOU HEART MAN!  Definitely would make my top fifty list.

Rock Bottom on the other hand.  I like it but I don’t love it.  I absolutely agree with Homie about world building and that’s definitely one of the main things I enjoy about this episode too.  But the thing that holds me back from loving it is how over reliant this episode is on that one bus gag. It goes from initially being very funny to just way too reliant on that one joke.  Like it gets very stale when you get to halfway through the episode.  All the other jokes are equally as funny and I wish they would have gotten more of a highlight to keep bringing more fresh material to try out.  It’s still a very solid 7/10 episode for me though.

• Like 3

With Rock Bottom, I do have to partially side with 4EverGreen. It's certainly an alright episode, but for me, SpongeBob's constant frustration throughout the episode and all the stupid crap that happens to him gets kind of exhausting. Like, maybe I wouldn't frame it as "they were being jerks!" but it's still not something I enjoy watching. That said, it's still a funny episode and I do like the atmosphere of it all.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, President Squidward said:

also why don't you just choose episodes you actually like and not because you feel bad for Post-Movie episodes never being on the list

It's just 4ever pitying post-movie/second movie, which shouldn't be the case. Yes, there are really amazing post-movie/second movie episodes but people should pick the episodes they think it did the best job ever. I sort of did the same on my original list but I realized it didn't feel right, so I removed all post s5 episodes on my list.

If 4ever or anyone else loves some post-movie/second movie just as much as pre-movie, that's perfectly fine to add them on their lists but don't add an episode just for pity. Call it nostalgia blind or not, pre-movie is and will always be the finest era of SpongeBob for me and I think it's really hard to be on par with most of those episodes.

• Like 2

48. "Wait, I don't understand this. I feel all tingly inside! Should we stop?"

Image result for f.u.n spongebob

F.U.N., 65 points

(7 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #8, Steel)

http://spongebob.wikia.com/wiki/F.U.N.

Clappy: I think I was asked to comment on this same episode two or three years ago and why I love it so much.  Well I could just copy and paste exactly what I said last time, but where’s the F.U.N. in that?

This episode introduced another layer to this show to me.  You see at the time, I liked the series but I was still waiting for that one episode that would make me fall in love with it.  

Enter this one.  The moment SpongeBob started to question whether Plankton has any real friends and his determination to show him the meaning of true friendship added a whole other layer to this series.  It showed me that Plankton has other dimensions to him than being the series main antagonist.

But that’s just one of the many things I love about this episode.  The dynamic between SpongeBob and Plankton is simply adorable.  Even with the obvious reveal that Plankton just befriended SpongeBob to get to the krabby patty formula, every moment these two spent together was golden.  From the lessons in jellyfishing to the iconic F.U.N. song, these two just carried this episode for me.  Not to mention that Mr. Krabs role in this episode is just as good.

Overall, this is my favorite Season 1 Episode.  Of course I would love to see this episode higher but the fact that this placed at all especially in an ultra competitive year makes me happy.

Hayden: F.U.N. lays the groundwork for very important character relationships, even if it only scratches the surface with them. Spongebob is often used as the bridge between Plankton and Mr. Krabs, and while I've given up any hope of the series meaningfully resolving that triangle in a fair way to Plankton, it's nice to see Plankton's redemptive side in the instances the show allows it. There are many things the episode does right despite the simple progression of Plankton's arc:

-The chase scene is one incredible visual gag after another.

-The empathy Spongebob feels after being celebrated for kicking down someone's spirits is relatable.

-It gave our SBC SOF8 store the Jolly Good Rookie Donut item.

-Plankton's exaggeratedly genocidal version of what the initials of F.U.N. stand for. Plus the clams singing along.

-A handful of popcorn being enough to get Bubble Bass to jump off Plankton. Spongebob liking sequels.

-The other moviegoers running off with the possessions despite Krabs not instructing that.

-"No friendship can withstand the allure of a Krabby Patty" being some sad (intentional?) foreshadowing.

Really the only hiccups are that they use Karen as the motivating force to get Plankton back on his mission and that the episode seems to go for the moral of "some people are just destined to be bad" instead of exploring why Plankton is the way he is.

• Like 8

Fun indeed. Plankton in season one could frequently be a one-note villain, which is what helped episodes from this season like F.U.N and Walking Small stand out amidst other Plankton appearances-- SpongeBob is determined to teach Plankton about true friendship, and while the F.U.N song itself is certainly memorable, it's the character interactions that steal the show here. SpongeBob's good-natured optimism bounced off of Plankton's not-quite-played-straight villainous characteristics is a recipe for a perfect character dynamic on the level of early-season Squidward/SpongeBob interactions, but taken up a notch by nature of Plankton being the series' most straight-forward antagonist. While these interactions make a great first half, I do have to agree with Hayden that the moral of the episode is one that hasn't sit right with me years later, as Plankton's potential development is hand-waved by him still choosing to steal the krabby patty and, for better or for worse, the relationship between these characters being practically reset in the end. Still, for a few minutes, it was F.U.N. to pretend that plankton had a moral compass in one of his less villainous appearances... until the ending.  

• Like 4
  • Happy 1

F.U.N. isn't a personal favorite of mine, although I do see how important it was in developing Plankton's character in his second appearance.

50. ???

49. ???

48. ???

47. ???

46. ???

45. ???

44. ???

43. ???

42. ???

41. ???

40. ???

39. ???

38. ???

37. ???

36. ???

35. ???

34. ???

33. ???

32. ???

31. ???

30. ???

29. ???

28. ???

27. ???

26. ???

25. ???

24. ???

23. ???

22. ???

21. ???

20. ???

19. ???

18. ???

17. ???

16. ???

15. ???

14. Valentine's Day (#50)

13. ???

12. ???

11. ???

10. ???

9. ???

8. ???

7. ???

6. ???

5. ???

4. ???

3. ???

2. ???

1. ???

Not on List:

Rock Bottom (#49)

F.U.N. (#48)

F.U.N is an amazing and underrated episode, I'd say it's the second best season 1 episode. However, it just barely missed my list.

50: ???

49: ???

48: ???

47: ???

46: ???

45: ??? 

44: ???

43: ???

42: ???

41: ???

40: ???

39: ???

38: ???

37: ???

36: ???

35: ???

34: ???

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: ???

29: ???

28: ???

27: F.U.N 

26: ???

25: ???

24: ???

23: ???

22: ???

21: ???

20: ???

19: ???

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: ???

13: ???

12: ???

11: ???

10: ???

9: ???

8: ???

7: ???

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: ???

I think F.U.N. has one of great moments in there, from the chase scene, to shwoing Plankton how friendship is important, but Krabs finds it fishy so he has to get SB to see the truth, and there it is at the end.

I really liked seeing SB & Plankton getting along (until the end that is), and the song is really iconic moment personally.

FUN was nice but not top 50. I didn't mind the ending though, my only issue is that they didn't really make Plankton hesitant at all besides ruses in Friend or Foe and New Leaf, at least in FUN he legitimately contemplated stopping as was shown in the scene with Karen. I fault the series for not building on this but I really don't care enough to even get bothered since Plankton eps in the first 4 seasons were always highlights that wouldn't be possible if this path was taken. It's a series flaw but one that I can forgive, although I do wish for it to be fixed as he has honestly been oversaturated in the newer seasons.

F.U.N is definitely a classic episode. Top 50 worthy, I'm not so sure, but it is a great episode nonetheless. It has a classic song, and it is fun to watch SpongeBob and Plankton actually get along for a change. Much like Valentine's Day, it is a prime example of Season 1's charm.

It's probably been said before, but F.U.N is hands down one of the most important episodes of the show IMO. It's the first instance we get to see a second side to a main character, and while this second side of Plankton wasn't super common for the rest of the show, we would continue to see the second sides of some other characters, especially Squidward, for a while. It also sticks out as very memorable not just for it's stellar musical number, but also for it's great gags and plot. Definitely one of the show's greats, even if it's not one of my personal favorites. 

Edited by CyanideFishbone