• Advertisement

Santa Fe High School shooting

SG19

15 minutes ago, WumboJack Horseman said:

Same fucking song and dance

How hard is it to find politicians with enough of a spine and conscience that they will do everything in their power to prevent children dying

It's easy, to get ones that finally care about the people, we just need to bribe them with ore money that they get from telecoms and gun lobbyists!

The saddest bit is just how transparent they are and they're still able to get away with it, if they're not voted out the issue lies in the people voting for them despite the issue being extremely clear just as well.

Good lord, I cringed hard at Ted Cruz’s response to this.  He said the kids killed in Santa Fe today made a "sacrifice".

No, you dumb asshole, they were murdered.  Christ, how many innocent people have to die before we revise our broken gun control laws?  This isn’t a left wing or a right wing thing.  This is an I’m sick of innocent people, especially children, getting killed thing.

• Sad 6

This sucks, not even the recent events made those people reconsider doing this. I guess there's some who will do anything and not hesitate to kill innocent people. It seems like the only way out of this is to implement strict gun laws or banning them completely. Some people might oppose it but I think its the only way out of this, even if it doesn't eliminate the threat altogether. Better to reduce it than leaving it as it is.

I actually had a talk with @HawkbitAlpha about this kind of thing a while back. I'm what he calls a supporter of "minimalist" gun control: everyone should have the right to bear arms, but there should at the very least background, mental health, and gun safety knowledge checks so stuff like this doesn't keep happening.

That's all I have to say on this matter, thank you for your time.

This is so sad to hear. I'm not sure what to say anymore, pretty much everything I could've has already been said above me.

1 hour ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

I actually had a talk with @HawkbitAlpha about this kind of thing a while back. I'm what he calls a supporter of "minimalist" gun control: everyone should have the right to bear arms, but there should at the very least background, mental health, and gun safety knowledge checks so stuff like this doesn't keep happening.

Agreed. This shooting crud has gone too far, and something really needs to be done about it. This, at least to me, seems what should be done. To me, people really need to have certain qualities in order to bear arms (things like a spotless criminal record and no mental health problems whatsoever), and if certain people (i.e. psycho madmen, criminals) don't fit that criteria, then they shouldn't have the right to own a gun.

Edited by Wendy the Witch

10 hours ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

People with a good mental health can be capable of killing too (with a good background and stuff), some people are good at covering their tracks, just saying. I get what you mean tho.

As for me, I'm supportive of gun control. This isn't political debate, we need lesser deaths. Yes, getting rid of guns won't solve the whole murder problem. Crime will always exists but guns are faster way to kill someone than a knife or anything else, getting gun control will do some sort of improvement. I get some people think owning a gun protects them but think about other lives. ?

12 hours ago, Clappy said:

Good lord, I cringed hard at Ted Cruz’s response to this.  He said the kids killed in Santa Fe today made a "sacrifice".

No, you dumb asshole, they were murdered.  Christ, how many innocent people have to die before we revise our broken gun control laws?  This isn’t a left wing or a right wing thing.  This is an I’m sick of innocent people, especially children, getting killed thing.

You are so fucking right. He totally doesn't understand what sacrifice means. Those kids died for nothing! They could have had a future, maybe a future they help people. How many kids have to "sacrifice" themselves before we get a gun control, Cruz? It's time to do something about this before we lose more lives for goodness sake.

And, of course, cue the inevitable headline from the Onion:

Uugjl0G.png?1

I'm now going to copy what I said on SBM a few days after Parkland, and reflect on the fact that everything I said applies yet again.

People, it's time to face the music.

Back in December 2012, during my second stay on SBC, the Sandy Hook shooting occurred. At the time, I lamented in a related SBC thread that it seemed like mass shootings had become far too common (and I also thought Columbine was a recent incident, but that's not important right now). I spoke too soon.

Want to know the facts? In 2018 alone, the US has had 32 mass shootings in 51 days (mass being defined as 3 or more people at once), this being the only one to catch widespread attention. 20 of those 32 have resulted in at least one death (and to clarify: 60 people in the US have died in mass shootings in 2018 alone - that's 5 times the death toll of the Aurora theater massacre in 2012).

It's a disgusting sign of the times that we have mass shootings so frequently that they no longer make the news, and we accept them as being a common occurrence.

And, you know why this keeps happening without any action whatsoever? All of the loud pro-gun Republican sycophants in Congress - all of them - have been bought out, and they're all gonna be paid by the NRA for guarding them from losing sales. That should be ILLEGAL. We need to ban the revolving door, say "that's not an option! You don't get to make millions of dollars for sitting around like a fool!"

Speaking of that, I have a message that I've addressed to the likes of Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, and Tom Cotton: how does that feel? You sell out the entire country, pretend to be empathetic towards the victims of your own malice, and continue doing that until you either lose an election, get censured, or die. Your name in the eyes of history will be forever tied to the wrong side of history, for being a terrible human being who cared more about the well-being of their own bank accounts than that of the very people who gave you your position. And you deserve it.

I know that it's absurd of me to politicize this, but by now, I honestly couldn't care less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giN_vioeg6g

The time to sit back and hope this problem of gun violence resolves itself is long past. Our collective lack of action costs lives at a frequency that's unparalleled by any other country in the developed world, which both infuriates and terrifies me, since I - being a resident of the deep South - could very well be another victim in the long list of them, come the next incident.

To quote Jibbix: we know why people do this, and there's a way to make it less awful. That way is staring us in the face every single time, but we never do anything about it.

/rant

• Like 3

Guest hilaryfan80

Honestly, what we need is to hold the gun owners accountable. If a kid takes his or her father's legal AK-48 and brings it to school to shoot it up, the father should be held as an accessory to the murders and go to jail. This would encourage gun owners to uphold proper safety measures and lock up their guns so their kids cannot get them. This solution alone would stop most of the school shootings, but definitely not all. Since kids (1-17) cannot legally own a gun, the gun must be registered under the parent, and that parent should be 100% accountable over what their kid does with their gun. This solution also doesn't take away guns at all, making everyone happy.