• Advertisement

231a. My Leg!

Jinjo

Episode Rating  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Legs: MY LEG!
    • 4/5 Legs: I'll protect HIS LEG from harm incognito!
    • 3/5 Legs: SpongeBob, why are you following MY LEG!?
    • 2/5 Legs: Don't take my leg!
    • 1/5 Legs: Now please go away.

h6TxILg.png

Premieres: 

Tuesday, May 8th @ 7:00pm ET/PT

Encores:

Saturday, May 12th @ 11:00am ET/PT

Sunday, May 13th @ 9:00am ET/PT

Plot:

Once Fred's leg heals up, SpongeBob is determined to keep it out of harm's way.

Clips:

N/A

Edited by jjsthekid
  • God Himself 4

I think this episode was pretty great. I surely never expected Fred to get his own episode and it did not disappoint. While I'll admit it wasn't prefect, it was still entertaining. I didn't expect the reason for Fred always injuring HIS LEG was because he was interested in the nurse (her appearance was funny and totally unexpected). I also thought the robot was funny and the many ways Fred was always injuring HIS LEG. The MY LEG song at the end was also very catchy.

It was a fine episode with a nice ending but did they really have to yell "MY LEG" over what might have literally been near 30 times? Just got annoying.

• Like 3

An alright episode, I suppose. I am glad my boy Fred got some long needed spotlight, but yeahhh, they did the "MY LEG" gag way too much at times, to the point where it may or may not have almost ruined the gag entirely for me. One gag does not equal an entire episode. Also, Patrick felt kind of shoehorned into the episode, he really didn't need to be there (especially shows when he's quickly taken to the hospital and you could've put any other character in his position). They could've had it just be SpongeBob's adventure, but whatever. Didn't have many other issues outside of those. Fred was handled fine and made pretty like-able, he played a nice straight man here. The "yeah, probably" exchange was probably the most amusing part of the episode for me. However, Fred's love plot did kinda come of nowhere, and felt a tad disjointed from the rest of the episode? Felt like it didn't really jell with what the rest was about, especially since the first half never hinted to Fred being in love with a nurse. There's been worse plot shifts (Shuffleboarding), but still a bit weird. Though who Nurse Bazooka was kind of amusing, I'll admit. Fred's ending love song was nice. Didn't compete with "Hey All You People" though, but it was fine and proves Fred is indeed one of the show's best singers. It was certainly a much better "nostalgia pandering" episode than Doodle Dimension, but I do hope the crew doesn't rely on nostalgia forever, or at least finds creative ways to do them.

That all being said, at the end of the day, the episode did do something different with the format by giving Fred the focus, which I appreciate. For a show determined to not change as much as possible, I guess I'll take what I can get in that department.

Grade: C+

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This episode was fine by me but it definitely had problems. Just like Trophy said, My Leg gag didn't need to be repeated too much. I laughed at some of these like Fred in a dress, the meditator burning his legs and silent My Leg gag but I wish they didn't need to be loud at every single My Leg line. That definitely took away the purpose of the gag. Aside from Fred ending up in a hospital for saying "My Leg", I got so tired of ambulance running gag as well and it kept reminding me that I was watching a modern FOP episode. Nevetheless, the episode got some good laughs from me. I loved the flashback joke so much. The nurse ending up being a muscular woman who looks like a dude was funny. Fred and SpongeBob's attempts to break Fred's leg got good laughs out of me as well. Fred's song "My Leg is in Love" was definitely good and it shows how much of a good singer Mr. Lawrence is. Overall, I enjoyed it but I don't think this is something that will hold up for having so many running gags.

Grade: B

I didn't mind having Fred-focued episodeto have his gag sice this episode title says it all. it was nice to see Fred interacted with SpongeBob (and Patrick for whatever reason doesn't really needed to be there). Fred's love song at the end was bonus plus to add it to me liking it. Overall, not bad episode, but some part are good IMO.

Grade: B

-The montage of leg breaks was a fun use of exposition. The leaf, him seeing it on TV, and his laser beam capture at the hands of a supervillain were my favorites.

-I was not expecting this portrayal of Fred, he sounds like he's in absolute agony every time he says it, but is apparently careless about the hospital bills or going through a Finn style mechanical change. I know the twist of why he doesn't care later (which I didn't care for as the "crutch" of this leg plot, Hah), but it really seems like they recontexualized his gag to make it more kid-friendly.

-Patrick was the only one to say "my leg" at a normal volume. For some reason though, he wasn't heard since that phrase is on a different frequency?

-Liked seeing the Alaskan Bull Worm. I guess it mellowed with age.

-Fred playing a ukulele with his leg spoke to his impressive talent. Dude deserves to appear regularly. Though, I think the musical really showed me how I didn't care for most of the side cast in the episode besides the doctor.

• Like 1

I didn't really mind them saying "My Leg" so many times in this episode, I found it pretty funny! :D Certainly a lot better than "Ink Lemonade", that's for sure! :rolleyes: Certainly never expected to see the Alaskan Bull Worm again, and it was funny to see Fred sing a brand new song, for Nurse Daisy Bazooka! Overall, I thought this was a very good episode! I'd give it a 9.9 out of 10! :cool: Enough said! ;)

• Confused 2

Pros

- The monologue compilation.

- The recurring ambulance joke got a occasional chuckle.

Cons

- Episode felt boring.

- The whole screaming "my leg" thing every 5 seconds quickly got monotonous.

- They didn't play the original "my leg" voice sample at any point.

- The song at the end ruined everything.

Verdict: I didn't like it.

• Sad 3
  • Confused 1

I have no clue why people like this. First of all, they could've picked a different episode title. I would've simply just called "Fred's Leg". Also, the "My Leg!" gag was dangerously repetitive and that song, OMG that song, was horrible! The episode was mildly decent up until that point. That really did it for me. 

If it wasn't for the awesome story and the ambulance gag then this would probably get a zero so I'll just give it a 3.5 (scumbob). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • God Himself 5

Originally written: May 15th, 2018

*Sigh*

Why, My Leg!? Why!? You could've been one of the best of the Season, but one slip up has kept you from being what could've been a great episode!

So let's get into discussion on the recent fanservice known as My Leg! My Leg! is essentially the Fred Rechid fanfiction we've always wanted, there's romance, comedy, breaking of fibula, everything one could ask for! I really like and admire the idea of building onto this background character who has been in the show for years. Yes, there have been other episodes simply centered around additional characters such as Grandmum's the Word and Doodle Dimension, but this episode is different. Fred has been breaking his leg since Season 1, and I think it was a perfect idea to finally give him the spotlight he deserves. Was it as fantastic as one could envision? No, his role in Jellyfish Hunter still remains his very best, but this certainly isn't that bad. 

The concept of the episode is relatively simple. SpongeBob decides to keep Fred from breaking his leg, since Fred is constantly doing so, it's as simple as that. The episode should rely on a slew of innovating and clever spins on ways Fred could break his leg, like Tutor Sauce did with SpongeBob crashing his boat. Unfortunately, the imagination doesn't branch off too far in this episode, the gags are decent in this episode, but they aren't hilarious. The thing is, this could've been a really good episode, heck maybe a great episode if it weren't for one thing, and one thing only...

"MY LEG!!!" 

Good gravy, this is one of the most obnoxious running gags in Season 11, every single time someone says "My Leg", they scream it at the top of their lungs! I get it, it's to poke fun at how Fred has always screamed "My Leg!", but the beauty of the Running Gag was how subtle it was, yet the writers always found a way to stuff it in the background as a little Easter Egg. I understand satirizing Fred's screaming, but overrusing it like it's a desperate Season 11 attempt for laughs (The Clam Whisperer, anyone?) just takes this satire too far to the point where its just done unironically. I wouldn't really take off points for such an insignificant part of the episode, but it's such a prominent gag, it takes up I'd say a good quarter or so of this episode's dialogue. A good majority of the episode's humor derives not really much of a clever twist on the gag, but rather just the "comedy" of screaming it (With a wacky face). 

However, this episode isn't entirely flawless with humor. The beginning of this episode was hilarious, the montage was fantastic (Even starting off with a callback to the original My Leg! gag from Boating School). Also, as predictable as it was to have the nurse be this humongous, monstrous woman, I honestly found her to be a pretty funny character. I guess that's in part of her hilarious voice actor...and seeing her put Patrick through the wringer after watching Ink Lemonade...  :sbfunny:

The actual gags in which SpongeBob tries to protect Fred's leg were decent, they weren't as terribly lazy as the gags were in such episodes as Sanitation Insanity and Bunny Hunt, but there was still lots of room for improvement. 

So, I think Mr. Lawrence properly executed this plot, there's definitely room for improvement, but I wouldn't say this is a bad execution by any means. So the plot generally relies on these gags for a good chunk of the episode, and surprisingly we get an actual story about halfway through the episode. The story is actually pretty compelling (For this Season's story writing anyway). Fred is in love with a nurse, I think that was a fantastic addition to the plot, a way to give this episode some sort of genuine purpose to tell a story, rather than simply relying on the billions of times people scream "MY LEG!"

Also, there is one part of this episode I have to essentially praise, but also criticize at the same time. The robot subplot. Ugh...this goes NOWHERE! I don't really mind that it goes nowhere, it was a fairly boring and uninteresting subplot, but I gotta tell you, Mr. Lawrence definitely did a great job wrapping it up with brevity. But here's the part I gotta praise. While yes I think the bringing up of using a robot's leg to replace his own does give a sense of suspense while Fred exits the hospital (Though I think the ridiculous shouting of "My Leg!" seems to overshadow that aspect), I think there's more subtlety to this episode than meets the eye. Fred simply brushes off losing his leg like it's no deal ("Oh, it's only MY LEG"), and while this at first glance contradicts his previously established worries of his leg's pain during the setup, it definitely makes sense. Fred reveals later in the episode that he misses the hospital because he's in love with the nurse, which may seem to come out of nowhere, but it kind of makes sense when connecting Fred's blissful nature towards breaking his leg. He doesn't worry because he's in the love with the nurse, that slow and subtle character development may be one of the best parts of the episode!

And the highlight of the episode HAS to be the song. Oh my, what a fantastic ending, I haven't felt this satisfied at an episode's ending since Squid Noir, this episode has a really phenomenal ending. After a spew of several lame gags (The episode does kind of slow down around the time Fred tries to intentionally breaks his leg, I didn't care for the ambulance gags that much), we finally are given the proper conclusion to this episode. A highly overlooked and underrated part of Fred's character is his musical abilities, and I think incorporating them to express Fred's love for the nurse was a fantastic way to wrap up the episode! This episode might not have been perfect, far from it actually. But that wrap up song was just wonderful, a really sweet and hilarious ending (Yes, that final "My Leg!" was warranted, more so than any other that popped up in casual conversation, especially when SpongeBob does it).

I just kind of wished they toned down Fred's character though, this was the episode he could've really shined, an average Joe who just isn't as lucky as others, constantly breaking his leg, but had developed a love out of this misfortune. Had 3/4's of the "My Leg's!" were cut, we could've had a phenomenal tribute to one of the series' best background characters. Overall, I'd say My Leg! is a Good Episode. I give it a 7.8/10

Another good episode! This episode was probably long overdue, as FRED'S LEG, being a long running gag in the show, had to have an episode about HIS LEG someday. I enjoyed the blooper reel at the beginning with HIS LEG getting broken multiple times, and the robot. The ambulance coming every single time was funny, SpongeBob and Patrick as bodyguards was funny, and just the whole episode was pretty funny. I couldn't really hate anything. We got to interact with Fred a lot in this episode! What more could you ask?

I also enjoyed the song at the end. That was cool. But it will never ever win to Hey All You People. I disagree with people hating the repetitious MY LEG over and over again, I thought it was funny.

Rating: A+

• God Himself 2

This episode is honestly great. Not amazing, and it's a bit flawed, but it's overall great. The episode has a very unique premise of being based off Fred, and his MY LEG gag, and it makes many great jokes off of it. Additionally, there's also a very good song and (sorta) plot twist in the end. The flaw in this episode, however, is that the my leg gag is always screamed and is repeated a lot. This would bring the episode down to a 8/10, but I feel like after a while they change it up a bit by doing more creative things with the gag, or doing something a bit different like with the ambulance. So, i'd give it a 9/10.

• God Himself 2

Horrendous and wacky episode. Lacks underwater atmosphere. It has quite a lot of screaming and lacks good writing unlike genius masterpieces from season 6 like "SpongeBob vs. the Big One" and "Porous Pockets". I am quite sad that some people can enjoy this atrocity and overlook masterfulness of Old Man Patrick. 0/13

Edited by Lumoshi
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • God Himself 2

It's been over a year and I'm still caught up in the beat of that "My Leg" song. Really fun, wacky nod to the fans. One of my favorite episodes in the last couple years.

An episode that initially struck me as a cash-in on one of the show's many meme-able phrases/moments that manages to work...surprisingly...and give Fred a good enough episode in his own right even if the "My Leg" gag ends up feeling stale and done to the point where the gag in and of itself is overkill. But aside from that it's not bad by any stretch; it did get a few chuckles out of me.