• Advertisement

223a. Sanitation Insanity

Jinjo

Episode Rating  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Trash Cans: We did a good job! Bikini Bottom looks so clean now!
    • 4/5 Trash Cans: Keep it up! It's working!
    • 3/5 Trash Cans: It's my turn to ride on the back!
    • 2/5 Trash Cans: I'm going to do what you said, but you should know I resent it!
    • 1/5 Trash Cans: What I say is...you have been found guilty of willful cheapskatery and trash flinging!

Although Nickelodeon has not officially aired this episode yet on television (even though it would've made perfect sense to air it Friday due to Earth Day but oh well), they have officially (or accidentally) released the episode for purchase through Google Play and Amazon if anyone wants to see it early and spend their money on SpongeBob (although I do have a free link if you don't want to spend any money, see below).

This episode has also been floating around online due to airing early in other countries. So yeah, due to the episode being released officially online, I'll open this up for discussion if anyone has seen it early, even if this is not the norm. I'll post a reminder here when it officially airs. 

If you want to see it without spending money, I do have a link; PM me if you want it. 

sIljl9A.png 

Plot: When Mr. Krabs gets in trouble for littering, he makes SpongeBob and Squidward clean up Bikini Bottom.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 1

This was a much much much better version of Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful. I could see why some people wouldn't enjoy this due to Mr. Krabs forcing SpongeBob and Squidward to do his job but I didn't mind it as much as I expected. As usual SpongeBob/Squidward dynamic was so much fun but this episode was great because it had ton of great gags. I loved Squidward riding behind the truck and getting squashed because of SpongeBob's inability to drive. The joke of baby carrier mistaken for a trash truck was very clever. The creepy baby doll part made me so lol. Not the mention Squidward and SpongeBob fusion bit was amusing random gag. And darn, the whole climax of trash fight was both exciting and hilarious. It was really satisfying to see Mr. Krabs getting his karma and baby doll returning at the end was a funny way to end this episode. Ben Gruber managed to deliver a simple, yet funny and exciting episode and barely it felt disgusting considering all the trash that were all over Bikini Bottom. This was my rewatch of this episode (I found a leak before) and it still holds up.

Grade: A-

• Like 2

wellll to be honest i tend to like spongebob-squidward buddy plots that don't involve patrick so the first couple minutes of this episode were alright by me. the jokes with the trash were at least creative but i didn't laugh once during this episode which is a bit unfortunate considering these kinds of episodes with minimal plots are supposed to be funny? i guess the concept of patrick not wanting to give up his trash could've been funny but it came in a bit late. if the episode had been built around that or not had it at all i think it would've been better rather than pushing it until the end. the doll thing was stupid and they wasted too much time on random stuff like that which didn't benefit the episode so it lost marks for me there. 

4/10 

• Sad 1
  • Confused 1

This episode showed me something I NEVER thought I would see on an episode of "Spongebob Squarepants"; a MEGAZORD fight!!!! o.o(Technically, that's what happens when the trash truck transforms and Patrick fights inside of a dumpster!) :hysterical: Of course, given that it's Ben Gruber, formerly of "Breadwinners" fame writing this episode, that's actually par for the course as far as he's concerned! :D But he makes it WORK! :cool: The trash doesn't look too awful (compared to past episodes where trash can look downright repulsive), and the creepy doll was probably a reference to either Chucky the Killer Doll, Talking Tina from a creepy "Twilight Zone" episode, or Slappy from the "Goosebumps" book series! It's nice to see Mr. Krabs actually getting his comeuppance for forcing Spongebob and Squidward to do all his dirty work (pun intended) for him! I'd give this episode segment a perfect 10/10! Enough said, true believers! ;)

• Confused 1

-"You're just filthy trash. Get in the bag!". Good line to start the episode.

-The trash-flinging slasher.

-This episode is not kind to babies and children.

-"All this fresh air feels great in my holes". Same tho.

-Nice nose chute. Hand sanitizer is for hands, not body wash.

-Maybe Patrick has a point, shouldn't he take out his own garbage? I thought they would only have to clean the grime that they let loose.

-Well Krabs got a few instances of trash-filled mouth, but I still think he should've been picking up alone by end. And that doll should've destroyed him.

-Wanna just do a Tidal Zone sequel?

-Commendable career Gruber. You only broke Jjs out of one show, and not two. Quite a success rate, I mean that. He cleaned up his act.

• Like 2

This episode was decent enough for me. Not amazing, not terrible, but it did a few decent enough things for my personal tastes. To start, it was definitely a much better Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful, without a doubt. I'm also a sucker for SpongeBob and Squidward team-ups, and I thought they bounced off of each other nicely once again here. I also liked the atmosphere in this episode. Dunno what it exactly was, but something about the general tone felt a bit 9B-esque, which I've missed. I also liked the two trash police characters, they were decently entertaining for the brief amount of screentime they had. And while what led up to it had some issues, I did like the robot fight at the end. Don't know if they were intentionally referencing Power Rangers' zord fights with it, but if they were, props. 

Now for the cons. I do have to admit the plot felt a bit bare bones, and it kind of showed with how Patrick's plot felt a tad forced near the end. It did feel like they quickly needed a conflict, but I didn't mind it as much as others since I enjoyed the robot fight that resulted. My only other major problem with the episode however is that Krabs definitely should've gotten the sole punishment at the end. SpongeBob and Squidward being forced to pick up the trash with him kind of cheapens the comeuppance they were going for, since it's not only Krabs sharing the punishment. He definitely should've gotten a bigger punishment since it was all his fault to begin with.

But otherwise, I dunno. I can't say I personally had many problems with this one outside of those two things. The atmosphere of the episode and some of the gags kind of made up for the bare plot, to me at least. But I respect it won't for everyone.

Farewell, Gruber. You did surprisingly better on SB than I expected.

Grade: B

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 3

I thought the episode was really good. I do like the SpongeBob/Squidward episodes and here they made a really good team as they picked up all the garbage in Bikini Bottom. The parts with the talking doll was funny as well as SpongeBob and Squidward fighting Patrick with the giant robots. Though some bits with the garbage like them eating it did kinda gross me out, the episode was still enjoyable.

Originally written: May 10th, 2018

Well...it was...alright, I guess. It certainly wasn't a terrible episode by any means, but it was far from good. Sanitation Insanity is kind of like Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful done...well, I wouldn't say right, I'd say at least a proper version of the basic synopsis. Sanitation Insanity's main storyline is relatively simplistic. Krabs makes a giant mess out of trash out of his cheapness, he ropes Squidward and SpongeBob into doing his dirty work (Heh-heh, better dialogue humor than what this episode has to offer), wacky trash related hijinks ensue. It's your standardized SpongeBob episode, the main problem is that Ben didn't build on it at all, it's kind of just your typical cartoon setup and story. No interesting twists are really thrown in, aside from maybe the dump truck robot transformation, but aside from that, it's the most predictable execution of such a generic layout.

The episode of course isn't necessarily story driven. It's primarily driven through an excessive spew of jokes, and when the humor is as bland as Raisin Bran, minus the Raisins and milk, the humor does not do this episode any favors. The gags in this episode are so basic, so generic. Trash is being slung all over the place, hah-hah. It'd have a better comedic effect had it been done in live-action media (This type of episode would've made a great Stooges episode), but gross-out humor doesn't necessarily translate as well in cartoons as it does in live-action. In live-action, you can easily rely on something gross because, well...it's real. In cartoons, however, there needs to be a clever spin on the gag, it needs to be more layered than just something gross. Heck, detailed close-ups are easily the best type of gross-out humor, because there's so much possibility with what you can do with those gags. There are so many options with how to execute a nasty close-up, so many different details. This episode just relies on throwing trash. The trash isn't gross, we know trash is gross, but there's nothing more to these basic gags! I can't really, nor do I have any desire to go into extreme detail of what makes this episode as humorless as a sack of flour. All the gags are visual gags, not creative, interesting visual gags, no, pathetic slapstick that relies too much on characters getting wacked or something along those lines.

The story is really harmless. It's not a good plot, oh not at all, it has no real convention, the characters are...well, give me a moment, I will get there, Ben did absolutely nothing to add onto this generic story structure. The gags in this episode are so pitifully cheap, there's no ounce of creativity in them in the slightest. When practically every other bad episode from the Post-Prequel era feature loads of these gags, they don't even feel original anymore, it feels like the same ol' boring routine! I've seen practically the same gags portrayed in this episode over the course of several Season 10 & 11 episodes, they're such a bore to sit through. 

I honestly didn't expect this episode's humor to be so lacking, even Bunny Hunt had some legitimately good jokes (Really early on into the episode). But with no interesting story for the gags to flow through, this episode is severely lacking.

And the characters, ugh...the characters...

Krabs is used as nothing more than a plot device. His "greedy" trope is the only reason he has a role in this episode, to kickstart the plot. Sure, he gets his comeuppance, which if there's any satisfaction from this episode, it's that, but he's really just not than fun of a character to watch. There are ways to make Krabs a more enjoyable and entertaining character, while still retaining his greed. Give him proper motivation to skip out on assisting the cleanup, don't just make his excuse derived from laziness, actually build a more interesting subplot to Krabs' situation in this episode (It's not like there's really anything essential going on in the main plot anyway, just constant slapstick, that's all). Maybe turn Krabs' motivation into attending, oh I don't know, something to do with Pearl, maybe. Have it be closing time at the Krusty Krab, he needs to rush out to drive Pearl to a concert or something, because he doesn't want her racking up his gas. The trash needs to be taken out, but there's only one bag left, so Krabs in a hurry, gets SpongeBob and Squidward to stuff it all in one bag. At the end of the episode, Krabs learns his lesson about being too cheap, and that it's okay to spend some money, and allows Pearl to drive his car around. That would be a proper and complete story! Not the usual greed trope we see pop up anytime a writer decides to think inside the box.

Squidward was a fairly decent character in this episode. He was pretty much entirely in character, didn't have that many problems with him. SpongeBob wasn't really much of an intentionally unlikable character. He was pretty annoying at times, but that's many in part of the awful jokes he was a part of. Patrick was pretty annoying in this episode. I was kind of worried since Season 11 doesn't have the best track record of handling Patrick's character, especially given how low this episode will stoop to throwing in a gag no matter how unfunny it is. But surprisingly he wasn't as bad as I thought he would be the moment his house popped up. I knew that he would obstruct SpongeBob and Squidward from reaching their goal (C'mon, you thought this episode would try something different?), but I liked how he acted as a foe to SpongeBob and Patrick through the trash fight. I thought that was a pretty neat concept, given how they're battling Transformer-esque robots, but of course like anything else in this episode, the execution was so anticlimactic, it was the same ol' goofy slapstick, this time with excessive trash thrown around. The trash inspectors were probably the highlight of the episode, I thought they were pretty good characters, I really find their car's design amusing and pretty creative. 

Sanitation Insanity seems like your regular ol' bad episode from Season 11. The problem is, it's got worse humor than usual, virtually no story, unlikable characters, and was just overall, terribly executed. Sanitation Insantiy is an Awful Episode. I give it a 3.4/10

EDIT: Before I'm accused of hypocrisy, the beginning of this review was literally seconds after I finished watching the episode. I had to let it sink in over time for my "It was alright" status to evolve into my "It was awful" status

• Sad 1

This was a great episode, which surprised me, because I thought this wouldn't go very well. However, not only did it somehow never end up gross, but it had many good gags throughout the episode, and a cool scene near the end with the fighting machine things (it's been a while so I forget any exact names or anything but I think Squidward and Spongebob used the thing they were driving in?). 9/10

• God Himself 1