• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2018 Edition

Jinjo

...Yup, it's back after a two year hiatus. Not every SB episode is a masterpiece, and we all have our varying opinions on what are truly the weakest episodes. To any members who remember these, or to those who never saw them before, here's a trip down memory lane...

We skipped 2017 to take a break and avoid burnout, but based on what a few users are telling me, it sounds like people's lists have changed once again. We've also had three seasons worth of content since 2016 (9B, 10 and half of 11), and while I'm not sure if any would make the final list, it's always a possibility. I know a few of us have grown numb to "hating" episodes, which I have too, but that doesn't mean there's episodes off the hook from several issues, as nothing is perfect. It's also been 5 years since the first list was posted, so I figured this would be a great and fitting 5th anniversary celebration.

There also may be members who never participated before in these, and the more the merrier. Also, just like the past two lists, I'll allow optional additional commentary from users episodes that make it onto the list, to provide additional or different views. Behind the scenes, the list is formatted is that a point value is assigned to each episode in your list (for example, 25 gets one, while 1 gets 25, the most), and the placement of the episodes on the list are determined by their points overall across all lists when added up. Just giving background info for those new or unaware to this process.

Our record of participants is 2015's list with 23 total submissions. Don't know if we'll beat that record, but who knows? It's worth going for! If you want to participate, here's what you need to do:

PM me your 25 least favorite SpongeBob episodes ever. (yes, only 25 --- if you make any additional changes to the list after it is sent, you MUST tell me)

Don't panic if you can't format your 25 overall least favorites right away, I'll give you guys plenty of time (about a month) to format your lists depending on how many we can get. If you have an old one you sent to me or Clappy from previous years that you feel needs no changes, you can send that to me, but only if you are 100% sure you have nothing to change. I know not everyone here actively watches SpongeBob anymore, but any contribution matters, as this is a list by the community.

I hope you guys are ready since I sure am. So let the 2018 SBC Worst Episode Ever countdown begin! :D Whatever the overall outcome may be, I am excited to host and see people's lists.

(Btw, if A Pal for Gary somehow does not make #1 overall this year, I'll legitimately post my face on SBC...consider that a bet. :P

Wumbo is also returning to host another Top 50 Best list this year to accompany this one, which will be coming later in May, but it's worth looking out for as well!

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 5
  • God Himself 1

We're a week in, and so far I have lists from the following people:

Myself

More

Wumbo

Trophy

Clappy

4EverGreen

WinterMelon

Honest Slug

President Squidward

SOF

Cha

Steel Sponge

Patty Sponge

WhoBob

CyanideFishbone

Fred Rechid

JCM

crushingmayhem

Yup, that's 18 lists. I'm very impressed with the turnout so far. We'll definitely either tie or break the record of 23 at this rate. I'm still giving people plenty of time to submit a list, so don't worry. For now, I'll say I'll give people until the second week of May or so. By next week, I'll announce a final deadline.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 4

NOTICE: Deadline to submit a list to me (or make any changes to your already sent list) is by May 9th at 11:59pm EST. If you think you'll need more time, let me know and I'll see if I can give some lenience/extensions. But that is the current deadline. Right now, I have 20 lists, and I know some others are pending.

Edited by jjsthekid

Reminder: Deadline to submit a list is by tonight at 11:59pm. I currently have 23 lists, so we have tied with 2015's record. We just need at least one more to break the record. I have lists from:

Myself

More

Wumbo

Trophy

Clappy

4EverGreen

WinterMelon

Honest Slug

President Squidward

SOF

Cha

Steel Sponge

Patty Sponge

WhoBob

CyanideFishbone

Fred Rechid

JCM

crushingmayhem

Wendy the Witch

RobertCarrot

teenj12

Halibut

BeachBob95

Here we go.

I am pleased to announce that we received a grand total of 25 lists, beating our previous record of most lists! :D Special thanks to the following users who submitted a list: Myself, Trophy, More, Clappy, Wumbo, 4EverGreen, teenj12, WhoBob, Halibut, Wintermelon43, President Squidward, Honest Slug, JCM, Steel Sponge, Patty Sponge, Cha, SOF, Fred Rechid, crushingmayhem, CyanideFishbone, BobCarotte, Wendy the Witch, BeachBob95, Homie & RDSP. Given this is the five year anniversary of the worst lists, I am happy we got this many participants. I will also give everyone that sent a list 300 doubloons. 

Something I should say right now is that there are no ties this year. The amount we had in 2016 were ridiculous in hindsight, and so here's how I broke ties this year: if an episode appeared on more lists than the other but had the same amount of points, I put what had more lists ahead. If both had the same amount of lists, I would've gone with what was higher on someone's list between the two, though I didn't have to resort to that. Just figured I'd explain this if anyone is confused down the road.

I have to say, I am very pleasantly surprised with this list this year. There was a lot of variety, unexpected choices, and also things you probably expect by now. But even with what you expect to be on here, you may be surprised with where certain episodess land. There are several newcomers to the list this year as well, so that makes the experience even more intriguing. Will A Pal for Gary truly be #1 again? Will jjs finally post his face on SBC if it somehow isn't? You'll have to tune in to find out.  

Like past years, I also encourage discussion between rankings to help keep the topic going hot. Feel free to post about whether if you agree/disagree with the choices, and if you have anything else to add about 'em. Also, as usual, I'll be allowing guest commentary for every episode, even if you didn't send a list. No real limit, you can sign-up for whatever you want, even if it didn't make your list. I know some have PM'd me already about commentary. Tonight joining me for commentary includes Homie and WhoBob. 

Now without further stalling, I present...

SBC'S TOP 50 WORST EPISODES EVER: 2018 EDITION!

50. Restraining SpongeBob

K0OdDK5.jpg?1 

50 points. 5 out of 25 lists. Highest Ranking: #5 - @Lovie⭐

Summary:

Spoiler

At home, Squidward wakes up from bed and is increasingly annoyed by SpongeBob sharpening his trusty spatula. As he walks to the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob annoys him by repeatedly asking if he can walk with him. Once they end up at work, Squidward gets angry. SpongeBob continues to be annoying, especially when he can't seem to figure out the mustard dispenser is empty, with its sound effects causing a patron to think Squidward has a farting problem. An irritated Squidward enters the kitchen to get it through to SpongeBob. Eventually, he leans on the grill, and accidentally burns his right tentacle. When SpongeBob tries to put the fire out with a bucket of water, he accidentally spills it onto the floor, causing Squidward to slip.

As Squidward flies through the air, SpongeBob tries to catch him in a jellyfishing net, but it breaks, and accidentally dropping Squidward into the deep fryer. The more SpongeBob tries to help him by running over to the deep fryer, by pulling out a fried Squidward, the more he accidentally bungles things, and further injures Squidward by tripping over a mop. After accidentally tripping over the mop, SpongeBob now lands into the order window, causing Squidward to flip right out of the basket, and knocking out a customer's Krabby Patty. The customer then accidentally bites into Squidward's own flesh, resulting in Squidward screaming in pain, and the customer freaks out.

The customer now throws Squidward back to SpongeBob, and lands into the mouth by bouncing right off. When Squidward crashes into a soda machine, breaking it, Mr. Krabs now comes out of the office crying, and SpongeBob goes over to him and asks if he's all right. Squidward screams and runs from him, hiding behind a table. When SpongeBob gets closer, Squidward resorts to climbing the walls and ceiling of The Krusty Krab to get away from him. Mr. Krabs then reveals SpongeBob "really set him (Squidward) over the edge."

The next day, Squidward gives SpongeBob a "gift": a restraining order, which his three lawyers from the law offices of Harry, Combover, and Bald, explain to him. They tell SpongeBob that he cannot come within 15 feet of Squidward or he will go to jail. SpongeBob is confused at first, but when Squidward tells him that he can't prepare Krabby Patties if he's in jail, he is struck with fear and does everything he can to avoid coming within 15 feet of Squidward.

SpongeBob resumes working, but unfortunately, the window from which SpongeBob gives orders to Squidward is within the 15 feet range, so the cash register and the counter are moved to the right, by the restroom door. SpongeBob tries to give the orders to Squidward by means of a pole, but Squidward ignores it. Mr. Krabs sees the restraining order is hindering business, so he tells SpongeBob he has to think of another way.

In the next scene, Patrick is tiptoeing to Squidward. Squidward tries to ignore him, but it doesn't work. Patrick tries to tell Squidward he now has a hat. Mr. Krabs reveals that he hired Patrick as a middle man. Squidward won't stand it now that the employees are both his annoying neighbors, so he marches over to Mr. Krabs and complains to him to get someone else. Mr. Krabs doesn't want to pay more to hire a new employee, so he tells Squidward to get used to Patrick working at the Krusty Krab, unless he wants to talk to SpongeBob, which annoys Squidward. SpongeBob prepares the food, then Patrick gives the order to Squidward.

Unfortunately, Patrick asks Squidward if he can watch him work. Squidward says no, but Patrick continues to watch. Patrick does things that annoy Squidward such as following him around the Krusty Krab, appearing inside the cashier, using the bathroom with him, and touching his hat. Squidward becomes very nervous that Patrick could appear any minute before he freaks when Mr. Krabs says his name and tells him it's time for his break. Squidward decides to play his clarinet. He opens his clarinet box to play, but it isn't there. Patrick tells Squidward that he cleaned the bathroom, to which Squidward sarcastically tells him that he did good. But Patrick then tells Squidward that the "toilet plunger" is broken, as he used Squidward's clarinet to clean the toilets, angering Squidward. Mr. Krabs congratulates Patrick before telling Squidward his break is over. Squidward resumes work when a customer orders a lot of food, and asks if that's too much food, but Squidward tells him, "That depends." The customer then says, "On what?", before Squidward tells him, "How long do you wanna live," and laughs. Squidward then turns around to give Patrick the order to get his nose caught in Patrick's mouth. Squidward breaks free of Patrick, but gets flung across the restaurant. Patrick then finds a button on Squidward's post. A random fish appears with a seaberry pie, screams when he sees Squidward flying towards him and leaves the pie in midair. Squidward's face gets smashed into the seaberry pie, which causes him to suffer an allergic reaction by swelling.

Squidward knows what he must do next. When Squidward is about to enter the kitchen, Patrick mistakes him for a monster and hears Squidward say SpongeBob. Patrick thinks Squidward is going to hurt SpongeBob, so he attacks him. Seeing both of them fighting, SpongeBob wants to help, but is afraid of violating the restraining order and serving jail time. His desire to help his friends wins out, and he interferes in their fight and stops it. Patrick at this point finds out that the monster is Squidward, according to SpongeBob. He blames his button for not telling him. Squidward angrily takes the restraining order from SpongeBob, who begs him for mercy. SpongeBob hands Squidward a pen and continues to cry before Squidward tells SpongeBob he isn't going to jail. Instead of sending SpongeBob to jail, Squidward uses the pen to replace "SpongeBob SquarePants" with "Patrick Star". Patrick then says sorry to his button, before Squidward tells Patrick that he is on the restraining order, not his button. The episode ends with Patrick laughing hysterically, because haha.

Jjs: Now here's an interesting choice. This is the first time this episode has ever appeared on a worst list. Can't say it's undeserved though. While not one I personally dislike, it is pretty meh. Shame, since the concept of Squidward getting a restraining order has potential for comedy gold, but unfortunately the execution falls flat. SpongeBob and Patrick are both pretty irritating at parts, and I can see why they'd be enough to ruin the episode for some. And that "some" would likely include our highest ranker, so here's Homie to give her thoughts!

Homie: I feel like premise is something that distinguishes all of the episodes that have the main plot thread of "SpongeBob is a nuisance, Squidward is annoyed at him," so when an episode with a shitty premise like this airs I can have a very... visceral reaction, which compelled me to put it in the top five. The episode starts with unneeded Squidward abuse and doesn't let up throughout the entire thing with way too much poorly-executed slapstick to make up for plot, and even when Squidward finally snaps you feel too bad to find it remotely funny. 

49. Best Day Ever

skFmfes.jpg?1

51 points. 3 out of 25 lists. Highest Ranking: 2 #4's - @4EverGreen & @crushingmayhem

Summary:

Spoiler

The episode starts out with SpongeBob waking up and singing the song "Best Day Ever" and he describes to Gary what he plans to do on this day: do his "perfect" job at the Krusty Krab, practice krate with Sandy, go jellyfishing with Patrick using his new high-tech net, and at the end of the day attend Squidward's big clarinet recital. However, SpongeBob's "Best Day Ever" does not turn out as he plans. He goes to the Krusty Krab, only to find it condemned due to a severe nematode infestation. He then tells the nematodes to leave, but they eat his pants instead. SpongeBob begins playing the "Best Day Ever" song with his nose, causing the nematodes to follow him. Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob to keep playing and lead them as far away as possible, and he does so until they all fall asleep (including SpongeBob).

He then goes to Sandy's treedome for karate, but Sandy is busy trying to fix a leak in the roof of her treedome. SpongeBob thinks that this is a trap, and attacks her anyway. Sandy hits him and sends him flying up to the roof, and his glove sticks to it, sealing the leak. Afterward, SpongeBob heads over to Jellyfish Fields to go jelly fishing with Patrick, but Patrick explains that he has broken his net. SpongeBob gives him his old net to use, but he quickly breaks it as well. Finally, SpongeBob gives Patrick his brand-new net and sits there watching as Patrick has fun jellyfishing with it.

Finally, when SpongeBob goes to Squidward's clarinet recital but Squidward tells him that he cannot play in the concert because his clarinet reed is shot. SpongeBob pulls out one of his teeth to replace the reed, and angrily demands Squidward to put on the show, frustrated that the majority of his "Best Day Ever" is ruined. When SpongeBob tries to enter the concert, the doorman will not let him in because he does not have a ticket. He tries various methods of sneaking in but is caught every time. Eventually, the doorman realizes who SpongeBob is, and lets him in because he is on the VIP list. However, the concert ends just as SpongeBob gets into his seat, and that is where he finally loses it.

Reaching his breaking point, SpongeBob goes up on stage, rips the curtains and starts angrily whining to the audience about how his "Best Day Ever" was completely destroyed. However, his friends went up and reminded SpongeBob of how he helped them with their problems out of his kindness, and to make everything up to him, they hold a "very expensive" production in which SpongeBob performs his song, "Best Day Ever," to complete his real Best Day Ever with his friends by his side. After hours, SpongeBob is still singing, his friends are tired and sleepy, the audience has left the concert hall, and the janitor is sweeping the floor. Squidward asks, "How long do we have to keep this up?" and Mr. Krabs replies with "Just 'til his little heart gives out, Squidward. Just 'til his little heart gives out."

Jjs: Ah yes, Best Day Ever. Nearly 12 years later after the 24 hour marathon it got, and it's rotting right at the edge of our bottom 50 this year. All I really have to say is... really, this is still disliked? I really don't agree with this one being on the list, and I'm surprised it still has any contempt since it was completely absent from the 2015 & 2016 lists. But there's no denying it was one of the most unnecessarily overhyped episodes in SpongeBob's history, forever leading to the unfortunate reputation it has to this very day. However, I honestly think that if it was just aired as a normal episode with none of Nick's unnecessary hype leading up to it, it probably wouldn't be as disliked as it is now. But unfortunately, this isn't a perfect timeline. I do understand some don't care for this one even without the hype attached, and I get that. Even when you disconnect the hype Nick gave it, yeah, admittedly the episode is just kind of...mediocre at worst. I don't really mind it though, I think there's much worse than it. I totally understand some will never look away from the unnecessary af hype Nick gave it. I just don't think it's Bottom 50 material, but oh well. I guess we have to accept this one is forever doomed to have the reputation it does.

WhoBob: this episode is on the list

flash has everybody lost their mind ile ilgili görsel sonucu

No disrespect to anyone who put it on their list, I'm just surprised by this one being there. I feel like the reason why this is on the list is mostly because it was one of the most hyped episodes ever and it didn't turn out to be a big special. Also around that time, people thought SpongeBob was losing their touch. I never found this to be bad, even as a kid, perhaps because it was never hyped in my country. In fact, I actually kind of like it. You could say SpongeBob is a bit selfish and a jerk because of him desperately wanting the day to be the best day ever. I could also accept the criticism of these all being SpongeBob's daily activities (except weirdly enough, Squidward's concert). But I enjoyed the story because somewhat it still stays true to SpongeBob's character, while making him flawed. He just wanted everything to go out exactly what he planned but it didn't and I think that's something people can relate to. We can't have good days just because we plan them to. SpongeBob sacrificed his time to help his friends and in the end, he was rewarded with a grand finale. It's true SpongeBob did lash out for something unimportant but it's just your guy who wanted his day to be perfect. Life doesn't work out like that but you can always hope for a good one. SpongeBob helped people and got his reward for doing that. Maybe that was Nickelodeon's intention or the writers' intention. Making us get excited for some special episode but we didn't get it. Instead it was an interesting episode about life itself. Maybe I'm giving too much credit here, maybe this episode was never good despite being hyped to death. Maybe SpongeBob was just one whiny ass. But after many years of many bad episodes from this show, I'm shocked something like this can still be disliked. Again, you can dislike it but honestly I actually found to this to be a good episode with some really funny moments and a good message. Oh well.

--------

Again, there's plenty of room for commentary spots, hit me up if you're interested. I'll try to post two a day, but it's okay if you can't get commentary done in time, I'll wait. :) 

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 9

50: Personally am indifferent but I can easily see someone truly hating it.

49: Guys I thought we moved past hating this as a society....I get it being lower in someone's bottom 25 to get it some points but two number 4 spots? Really?

• Like 3

Restraining SpongeBob is bad although preferable to a lot of the Squid "torture" eps. I actually did like the lawyers, the episode was really stupid though and Patrick tanks any potential it had.

Best Day Ever doesn't really belong on here imo. It's meh but there's nothing that bad about it, it's a cute and harmless episode that's biggest crime is not being all that funny.

• Like 3

I actually ironically liked Restraining SpongeBob for how stupid it was. Patrick shouldn't have been funny to me and he was so bad i couldn't stop laughing at this dumbass behaviour.

• Like 1

50: I find this episode to be pretty meh. Not in my bottom 50 but it's still not the best episode for sure.

49: I honestly really like this episode. The episode really doesn't have any major flaws and has an amazing song, so I never understood why people hated it.

Episodes on my bottom 50 to show up so far:

50: ??? 

49: ??? 

48: ??? 

47: ???

46: ???

45: ???

44: ???

43: ???

43: ???

42: ???

41: ???

40: ???

39: ???

38: ???

37: ???

36: ???

35: ???

34: ???

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: ???

29: ???

28: ???

27: ???

26: ???

25: ???

24: ???

23: ???

22: ???

21: ???

20: ???

19: ???

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: ???

13: ???

12: ???

11: ???

10: ???

9: ???

8: ???

7: ???

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: ???

• Like 1

Restraining Squdward: I thought it was ok episode, and i didn't like SB kept ruining Squidward. However, the ending was funny enough to get Patrick is dumbass thing, but yeah it's stupid episode. Nothin to hate it. it just not worth of worst  imo.

Best Day Ever: ....really? this still on the list? huh? i thought we're over for this. Honestly, i don't really dislike it, but i actually loved it because SB did try to help his friends, so he deserved to get his reward needed.

• Like 2

Restraining SpongeBob: In my eyes, a typical Squid torture episode that had since left my memory banks. Off to a good start.

Best Day Ever: And those good vibes are already dead, it seems. Some people still have reasons to hate it as of now, may it be because of the "Best Day Ever" song, the lack of humor, or the mere fact that it was killed by Nick's overhype (if you still stand by this, then I suggest looking back into this episode more). I really liked it. The characters were great (lest we forget the fact that Squidward put on a recital that the citizens ended up enjoying, thanks to SpongeBob giving him a replacement reed?), and it had a subtle moral: you don't have to fulfill everything you want to do with your friends to have the best day ever, as long as you do something good for your friends, you might as well still have something to call the best day ever. This episode is one of those times where SpongeBob is at its safest, but it has charm and that's enough to the point where it ranks fairly close to my top 100 episode of the entire series.

Oh, and you know what the episode reminds me of? "The List" from Hey Arnold!, which I believe is one of the show's most beloved episodes. It's got a different moral, but it's got a similar story (and also has a musical number at the end to boot) and backs it all up with its charm. My thoughts exactly towards "Best Day Ever."

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 1

Restraining SpongeBob (barely) made my list. I like jjs thought it had great comedy potential, but instead it was just another let's-have-SpongeBob-and-Patrick-annoy-Squidward episode. Like Squidward, I've gotta have my limits sometimes, and that episode pushed those limits way too much.

Best Day Ever is an episode I used to really dislike, but I think the hype behind the episode with the 24-hour marathon leading up to it created unrealistic expectations that it couldn't have lived up to even if it was good. Right now, I consider it the quintessential average episode of SpongeBob. It probably doesn't need to exist, but I'd choose watching it over anything in my Bottom 25.

• Like 2