• Advertisement

#ChangeTheChannel - The Channel Awesome Problem

Clappy

There have been many status updates discussing this and it’s been the talk of the XAT the last few times I’ve been there.  So why not make a topic about the downfall of Channel Awesome?

For those of you who don’t know what’s going on, several former content creators most notably Obscurus Lupa, Nostalgia Chick, Linkara, MarzGurl and many more have come out to discuss years of problems they’ve had with the site upper management: Mike Michaud and the Walker Brothers.  Most notably abuse, harassment, miscommunication, and terrible management.  If you haven’t seen the Not So Awesome document written by a bunch of former content creators, links are in this forum:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/not-so-channel-awesome-ex-contributors-of-channel-awesome-detail-a-history-of-abuse.33557/

That explains it all better than I ever could.  

Channel Awesome has replied twice now in regards to these claims.  Both criticized heavily and rightfully so.  If you haven’t seen the replies you can read the latest one here:

http://channelawesome.com/our-response/

This whole incident has been a disaster for Channel Awesome.  They went from two million YouTube subscribers to half of that as of this moment.  They’ve lost practically 90% of their content creators like Todd in the Shadows, Film Brain, Chris Stuckmann, and as of last night, Angry Joe, to name some of the many.  I think they are at eight now if I’m not mistaken.

Needless to say, I’m glad all these people are speaking up after years of negligence and abusive behavior.  I’m shocked to be discovering all of this carelessness after years of wishing to be a part of the site myself with the amount of web series I have been a fan of.  They seemingly got along so well together.

I hope this leads to a complete changeover in upper management.  I think it’s too late to right a sinking ship but since the Nostalgia Critic surprisingly still has a good sized fan base, it’s not completely impossible to right these years of wrongs because if not, the site will definitely go under.

• Like 8

I honestly now can't see this as anything more than self-sabotage from a very stupid, stupid man and his spineless enablers.

My sympathies lie with everyone affected by this, including Malcolm and Tamara (Doug's actors) who are particularly caught in the crossfire of everything and I'm sure are being told to defend the company by higher ups. Doug, Rob, and Mike can go fuck themselves though. What a disaster.

• Like 6

I just wish the site would go defunct at this point and that the company would restructure itself, that Mike and the Walker brothers would just pack their shit and get out instead of continuing to make everyone miserable. I did admittedly lose interest in anything they had on the site half a decade ago (despite watching NC a few times on YT before my interest in him completely dropped off) and had been hearing rumors about mismanagement on the site since that time as well, but I did not expect it to get this bad. If there was a conceivable way for them to fix the site and turn this all around, more power to that, but nothing so far has been able to convince me that it's not the site's time to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Metal Snake said:

I just wish the site would go defunct at this point and that the company would restructure itself, that Mike and the Walker brothers would just pack their shit and get out instead of continuing to make everyone miserable. I did admittedly lose interest in anything they had on the site half a decade ago (despite watching NC a few times on YT before my interest in him completely dropped off) and had been hearing rumors about mismanagement on the site since that time as well, but I did not expect it to get this bad. If there was a conceivable way for them to fix the site and turn this all around, more power to that, but nothing so far has been able to convince me that it's not the site's time to go.

Exactly my thoughts.

And now we are down to three:

6AD44A5F-48A0-41EA-A1A9-124749987075.jpeg

Gaming Wildlife just announced on Twitter that they are leaving.  Blockbuster Buster doesn’t post anymore so you could practically say the last two standing are Brad and Larry.  Who will be the last man standing?

34 minutes ago, Clappy said:

And now we are down to three:

Gaming Wildlife just announced on Twitter that they are leaving.  Blockbuster Buster doesn’t post anymore so you could practically say the last two standing are Brad and Larry.  Who will be the last man standing?

I've read somewhere that E-Rod decided to leave as well, which should leave us with Larry and Brad. I say we're going to be left with Brad Jones before we're only left with Doug Walker, his shows, and those who work alongside him.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Channel Awesome began with the Nostalgia Critic, and now it'll end with the Nostalgia Critic. It's come full-circle, really.

Though, let's face it: this has been a looong time coming. CA is practically on life support at this point.

14 hours ago, Clappy said:

Thanks to a friend, I would like to archive that this was what the listing was on March 22nd, a bit before this all went down:

SN2q3Ej.jpg

So, it's a tiny dip.

From what I hear, the only reason Brad hasn't left the site is because he's friends with Doug and Rob, and if the statement he made about Spoony a while back is an indicator of anything, it seems that Doug would literally have to tell him to fuck off to get him to leave.

But Hey, At Least They Still Have The Blockbuster Buster!

Spoiler

i can pinpoint the exact moment i lost interest in channel awesome when i clicked on one of his videos to get a man having a conversation with a Mario bobblehead and talking about his undying love for Lupa in this Urkel-like costume. apparently the quality standards sunk pretty low at one point

• Like 1

To keep everyone up to speed with the four remaining producers on the CA site, Gaming Wildlife have announced they've left the site, Blockbuster Buster hasn't said anything but has left according to both Larry and Linkara, Brad Jones also hasn't said anything but has removed all tags and links on his profiles relating to CA suggesting he's also left, and Guru Larry is only staying on CA for now just so he can get exposure for being the last standing CA producer, which is what he's got now.

Just now, Jasper said:

To keep everyone up to speed with the four remaining producers on the CA site, Gaming Wildlife have announced they've left the site, Blockbuster Buster hasn't said anything but has left according to both Larry and Linkara, Brad Jones also hasn't said anything but has removed all tags and links on his profiles relating to CA suggesting he's also left, and Guru Larry is only staying on CA for now just so he can get exposure for being the last standing CA producer, which is what he's got now.

...Jesus H. Fucking Christ...CA's collapsing much faster than I thought.

Edited by Shinji Ikari

The way Channel Awesome went about doing all of this feels so insidious to me. I'd almost call it deliberate sabotage, but with the site's history of incompetence and all the other shit that has surfaced because of this (the JewWario thing), plus Malcolm and Tamara adamantly defending the site, that seems unlikely to me. I mean, if this truly was all deliberate, that makes Michaud an even more evil son of a bitch than we gave him credit for.