• Advertisement

Spyro

Just thought that I'd revive this thread based on renewed interest alone. I would say ignore those older posts I've made that expressed my old salt towards Activision and Skylanders in general, but I already went ahead and edited them, especially since my past hatred was only based on my first impression on Spyro's Adventure. My real thoughts on Skylanders is like this: I haven't played any of the games yet, but I think it's an interesting franchise that stood on its own and broke ground in the video game industry by popularizing video games with toy figure compatibility.

Anyways, I have replayed the original three Spyro games a few months back thanks to the magic of the Playstation Store. Of course, each of them still hold up, with Ripto's Rage being my favorite out of the three. I guess you guys can say that I'm waiting on a new, let alone good Spyro game in the near future, but right now I'm hoping something new will come out of Spyro outside of Skylanders.

I'm personally hoping the original trilogy gets the N. Sane treatment. The Crash games look gorgeous enough as it is, I couldn't begin to imagine Spyro would turn out with all its fantastical settings.

in other news since my last post on this thread, I finally played through A New Beginning completely last year, I think. It was aight, felt a lot like what they were trying to do with the Titans series for Crash by heavily relying on the beat em aspect, but the story was hella cliche and short tho. Beat it in like five hours or so. I also bought Eternal Night and Dawn of the Dragon, but I haven't played em as of yet, although I've heard some things, especially since my copy of EN is the wii version.

his Skylanders (which I also haven't played) design still fails to grow on me even after all these years. They did do good by Crash tho, actually bought his and Cortex's figurines.

• Like 3

I'm sorry I didn't see the existing spyro topic...

Also when your boy BenPaz doesn't own a ps4 or Xbox one. I will have to wait for a switch version.

or just play the first three games in their original form!

I'm hoping for a Switch release, which I think is very possible. Crash and Spyro are both owned by Activision and with Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy coming out on the Switch, a Switch release for this is definitely possible. We're probably gonna have to wait a bit for it like we did for Crash Bandicoot unfortunately, but if this comes to the Switch I'm probably gonna pick it up. Spyro is a franchise I've always been interested in.

BAM! Looks at that grass sizzle!

dont know if this'll show up since embedding YouTube videos seems a bit off for me lately, but it's a side by side comparison of the level Stone Hill featuring reignited gameplay footage they posted recently. Looks pretty cherry

edit: nvm fixed it

• God Himself 1

Gameplay footage for remastered Ripto's Rage has recently surfaced...and I'm stunned to see how amazing Idol Springs looks in the remaster:

Oh, and I'm also liking the faster pace for the idol head portion of one of the orb sidequests.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • God Himself 3

So uh, this is causing quite a bit of an uproar in the Spyro community:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/2/17643358/spyro-reignited-trilogy-games-on-disc-download

Basically, it seems like only the first game is on the disc, and there will be a "day one patch" where you have to download Ripto's Rage and Year of the Dragon via internet? Not sure if there's more to it, but right now I dunno how to feel given the complete lack of further info regarding that, and Activision's vague replies haven't helped.

Edited by jjsthekid

If this delay means getting all three games on one disc (which is what it sure is sounding like) then I don't mind. I'm gutted, sure, since it happened so close to the launch date and I've been literally counting down the days, but this seems to be for the best. Especially since I heard that they were still scrambling to complete Year of the Dragon fairly recently and Toys For Bob really had to stand up to Activision in order to approve this delay and put the game out on their own terms. Here's to hoping the extra time is beneficial in polishing a great finished product.

• Like 2

I'm just going to make some of OMJ's words my own here. I can wait another few months. I've had the feeling that Toys for Bob wouldn't finish the game by the release date, I can tell that they're taking all the time that they need to finish the trilogy. Considering that the N. Sane Trilogy wasn't released during the exact 20th anniversary month/year of Crash Bandicoot, I feel Reignited didn't have to be released on the week or month of the Spyro franchise's 20th anniversary.

What I'm really hoping right now is that the third game doesn't turn out too botched or unfinished by the time the entire trilogy is released.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 1